Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Recommend an Interface

Comments

• Sheez is the iconnectmidi4+ gonna be out in time for NAMM? I got a gig on the 13th and I could sure use one...

• I've used novation x station extensively with my iPads 2,4 and now air via cck. It is brilliant. It has xlr mic in with phantom and built in fx, built in synth which records into ipad if you send monitor knob completely to the left, if to the right you get to hear ipad synths. It also has a very nice keys with aftertouch and xy pad and joystick which are super expressive when combined. Loads on knobs and sliders. If you want an all in one solution this one is a beast when combo'd with ipad. Audio interface, midi controller and internal synth with its own arp to boot. It also comes in a 2 octave version if desk space is tight. It can be had for £150 on ebay in the uk. Now I kind of got used to it and take it for granted but when I first got it I was totally swept.

• edited February 2014

Lets wait for "iconnect audio 4+" interface. Its gonna be the end of all charging and connecting problems .will pay any price for this one. ))))) specs are very promising too

• Enjoy your wait...

• Beringer UCA2020 works great, has Toslink, no powered usb hub required, ( no +48v) 16bit

Focusrite 2i2 has decent preamps and can do 24bit. I read a post on another forum about using this, a lipstick type usb hub with an usb Y adapter and a charge pack as a portable solution for recording in places with no electrical outlets.
    Please excuse if already mentioned.

• edited February 2014

@PaulB said:

Enjoy your wait...

LOL Too right! The iConnectMIDI+4 was unveiled at Winter NAMM 2013 (over a year ago), with availability predicted for Q2 2013. It's STILL not in the shops. What hope for the iConnectAudio+4?

It's no big deal to mock up a display model / prototype and announce it - it's quite another to deliver the goods!

• @funjunkie27 said:

I forgot to add that I've not had a problem using multiple devices at the same time through the eie.

What? Really? Multiple iOS devices at the same time?

• I meant multiple controllers. I've never tried multiple iOS devices, but I'll give that a try tomorrow.

• I have a question about latency and monitoring: ideally I would like an interface that would let me record vocals while hearing a mix of the recorded input and the DAW.

The Scarlett 2i4 has a mix dial that lets you balance the live signal against the DAW with minimal latency, but from what I understand the other Scarlett interfaces lack this feature. The thing that puts me off the 2i4 is the need for a powered hub, but it's not a deal breaker.

Does the AKAI EIE let you mix between DAW and live signal monitoring?

I'm also looking at the Apogee interfaces, but it seems that all the monitoring is done via the Maestro app and there are reports that it can be a bit flaky, which is galling considering their price.

Monitoring is my main concern, but I would also like something that can deliver clean gain. I most probably will buy an AT2020 to go with the interface.

• The smaller Scarletts have a monitor switch for this purpose, and all the bigger ones have it built in to their hardware mixers. Focusrite ship a couple of hardware setups, one of which has the low latency monitor mix. I wish they would also ship an iPad based version of their configurator.

• I never was able to get iOS to iOS talking over the EIE. I was looking forward to that working, and hopefully someone else has had better luck and willing to share the secret.

• @funjunkie27 said:

I meant multiple controllers. I've never tried multiple iOS devices, but I'll give that a try tomorrow.

Hey @funjunkie27 where's the other 26 funjunkies? Oh, shit I better watch out or I get done in for trolling.

• They're all around the globe...I'm the only one who loves music though. I think @Audiojunkie is a distant cousin...;-)

• Hi all, new to the forum but have been pondering interface investment for some time. Does anyone have experience using a USB mixer for this e.g. Allen & Heath Zed or Behringer Xenyx? Does anyone know of a hardware mixer that also has MIDI?

• That's unfortunately something for which I am still waiting. There are several FireWire based mixers, with local stand-alone mixing as well as multi-channel feed to the host, MIDI control, and MIDI connectors for external devices (Alesis Master Control for one) but the manufacturers have yet to see sense and release them with USB instead of FireWire interfaces.

I'll try my X2442USB into an iPad later today and report. But all the hardware USB mixers send only stereo main out to USB.

• I also wouldn't know of any such solution for now..., I have an Alesis Multimix 8 USB2, which will not work with Ios, since not class compliant (needs special drivers), and also doesn't really work reliably (noise, driver issues). Maybe the Mackie-thing, but I don't know about that, would really only make sense with multiple channelrouting, I think, and the stuff available up to now only has stereo USB-routing, it seems. For the time being, I have to use a class compliant interface (in my case: Focusrite 8i6) with a setup, that includes a PC with a DAW (Logic) for mixing. I also am waiting for multichannel-hardware-mixing-consoles with Multitrack-USB-ability for IPad..., since Auria, at least, is already able to take advantage of that. But then again, I would also love to have surround-capabilities in the future (I'm working with a quad-setup...). Well, dreaming for now, maybe anybody else knows of something...?
    Cheers, tobias

• Thanks for that. I also seriously looking at a keyboard interfaces - good things said about the Novation X Station, also the XioSynth although its interface not quite as well specc'd. Just discovered the Line6 KB37 which looks fab on paper but not sure if it is class compliant.

• Hey I have an update on my opinion regarding some interfaces, if anybody cares. I recently traded in my Griffin StudioConnect(30pin) because my original (and a replacement) had problems consistently charging the IPad when it was hooked up. Sweetwater and other folks have the Behringer IStudio(also 30pin) on a sale for $99, so I opted for that. (With a Lightning adapter working on either one) It's larger, but I like it better because it has more versatile inputs for Mics and Guitars, MIDI keyboards, speakers, etc. I'd gotten used to the upright IPad configuration of the Griffin, so I've stuck a wooden cookbook stand under the IStudio to angle it upright and that helps. Point of this is, the signal and sound of the Behringer is cleaner and has more headroom without distortion than I heard with the Griffin. I also was able to upgrade Microphones, Guitar Center has the AT2020 on sale right now for $59! I want to thank everybody who recommended it on this thread, it is fantastic. The two pieces together have changed my whole sound, and as soon as AB2 comes out, I will probably never be seen by the outside world again!

• Hi, I am planning to get an audio interface, it is mainly for my PC using in Cubase, but I also hope that this audio interface also work with iPad, I am using iPad 4 with iOS 7.

I am looking Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, due to MIDI i/o that 2i2 didn't have.
    Below are my question:
    1) Is it good and reliable?
    2) Is it compatible with Auria? Because the Auria website only mention 2i2, not 2i4.
    3) Is it compatible with Cubasis in iPad also? Especially when recording MIDI?
    4) I need a powered hub and cck to make it work?

Thanks

• yes to all. I have only tried Auria on the multi chan output Focusrites successfully (18i6 and 18i20). I own but have not tested Cubasis. I believe most others will only give you a stereo out. AudioBus 2 should fix this though.

• So after many months of deciding on what interface and microphone to opt for, I finally bought a Scarlett 2i4 and an Oktava MK319 microphone.

I opted for the 2i4 mainly because it was the only interface I was certain would have a physical dial to mix between DAW and live signal (it's the only Scarlett model that has this). This basically allows you to have latency free monitoring mixed to taste with DAW playback. I think most other interfaces do this via software, and I didn't want to have to mess with an app to adjust my levels - a physical dial is much more convenient.

Anyway, the interface works great, has lots of features and in my initial testing the quality seems great.

As for the microphone, I chose it after watching shootouts on Youtube where it was compared to various AKG, Neumann and AT mics, and for the price it seemed by far the best option.

• edited April 2014

Thanks @dwarman and @richardyot for the reply, I have compare few brands for this range of interface

1) Presonus 22 VSL can't record for line in, only for instrument input, if need to do line in recording, DI box needed for safety, according to Presonus.

2) Roland UA-25EX is a good choice, but heard that if working on 48kHz or 96kHz, only can choose either play or record in one time, this is a bit annoying, not sure other interface will be the same.

3) Steinberg UR22, good choice, but seems like it is not iPad compatible, please tell me if anyone using this with Auria

4) Scarlett 2i2, is a good choice but without MIDI I/O. The good for this interface is both input can switch between instrument and line in, not like others normally only have 1 input is switchable (Hi-Z).

So, I think Scarlett 2i4 has all the features above that other interfaces don't have.

Hopefully my info above is correct, let me know if there is other interface worth to consider. I use it for Auria and PC also...

For Mic, I am considering Shure SM58 for recording vocal, I know that dynamic mic is not the best choice, but I scare that if using condenser mic, it may record all the unwanted noise from my neighbour....

• Anyone tried the Iconnectmidi2+ ?

• A question to all Akai EIE users:
    I'm facing one problem with it, i have always connect/disconnect it exactly 3 times to the ipad before it's proper recognized! I've tested it on different iPads and with different original usb camera connection cables. Is there maybe a proper way of steps to have it recognized immediately?

Does anyone know this problem and has a possible solution? I would be very grateful for any tip!

• I've never had that problem @rgb3.

• @funjunkie27 said:

I've never had that problem @rgb3.

Thanks a lot for your answer. Well, that's strange. Seems that i have to live with that.

• You might want to check with Akai. There might be a firmware upgrade that can resolve the issue.

• edited April 2014

I have a specific question about the Duet for iPad/Mac and MIDI: has anyone been able to get MIDI data OUT of the Duet to anything other than a controller?

I tried to send MIDI data OUT from the Duet TO my desktop computer and it didn't work. I plugged an Edirol UM-1SX into the Duet, then some MIDI cables from the UM-1SX into my desktop's MIDI interface (MOTU MicroExpress). I got nuffin'. Strangely, the Edirol UM-1SX works just fine with a CCK, which makes me think it's driver-less/class compliant and should work.

Anyone have any ideas? I'd love to keep the Duet, but I need an interface for the iPad that charges, sends MIDI, and has audio out.

Thanks!

edit: perhaps rather than an "interface" one of these (USB to MIDI cable): http://www.amazon.com/VicTsing-IN-OUT-Converter-Keyboard-Adapter/dp/B00ACGMOA6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1396885346&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+to+midi+cable