Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Recommend an Interface

Comments

• Has anybody tried the Motu Microbook II? It looks like a nice low latency small device. Kind of pricey but if the quality is high and it works on the iPad and iPhone that would seem like a great choice. Any opinions or other recommendations for alternatives?
    It really has to be compact since I'm planning to build it into an electric guitar.

• Anyone have updated recommendations? I've been looking at the iConnect models but it seems limited in what it can do (unless I'm reading the features incorrectly). I have a lot of projects on my iPad that I'd love to route and integrate with my Mac workstation.

• edited October 2013

Update... It turns out that my Rode NT1 works just fine after all. So does my ART USB Dual Tube Pre. I must have set something up wrong when I set things up the first time. I also upgraded to iOS 7 today, and I can confirm that everything works fine with iOS 7 too! Things are going well!!!

• I haven't done this, but it may be worth checking out. I am also not trying to bust your bank either but these interfaces offer everything, including I/O midi and work with the iPad app Auria, which works with Audiobus. They are the Presonus AudioBox 22vsl, 44vsl, and 1818vsl. Then, if you go to Lynda.com there's a whole tutorial on the iPad Auria app while using the 1818vsl recording a band live - simultaniously, on the iPad. To get the tutorial for free, Just start a 15 day free trial of Lynda.com and then cancel the account if you wish. Search "Auria" on lynda.com for the tutorial vids. Also, here is a YT vid where this guy uses Auria on his iPad via CCK, along with an 1818vsl interface and powered USB hub, (note, you can use the 44vsl, or the 22vsl) talks and plays his guitar (with effects) with no noticeable latency:

• edited November 2013

Hello, just looking for an interface for my iPad. After reading this I'm maybe thinking the akai eie or one of the presonus brands but I wanted to make sure the interface will let me monitor my iPads output through my monitors (send the audio channels from DAW back to the USB interface and output on its monitor out). Just don't wanna buy an interface that won't let me monitor the iPad on it and instead be stuck with headphones. I guess what I am trying to say is I need an interface that does USB to monitors and works on the iPad via Apple CCK. Oh and records multiple lines into separate channels. Thanks.

• generally speaking, it's only the targeted Guitar interfaces that block the output like that. Like the Apogee JAM. Pretty much all the general use interfaces go both ways. From there it is really budget vs quality vs number of inputs and outputs. The Auria web site has a list of interfaces that work with it, which by implication means they should work with any App.

http://auriaapp.com/Support/auria-audio-interfaces

• Finally, finally, finally!!!,I found away to the beat maker 2 skin, I know we all been looking to change that boring plain one color white pad with black boarder look!!, now just follow the video and it can be yours too!!!

[youtube][/youtube]
    [youtube][/youtube]

• @craighilld: I think "Recommend an Interface" means hardware interface, not user interface. But thanks anyway ;)

• edited December 2013

Ok so I think it's about time for an Interface for my Studio/Laundryroom. I've read all your posts several times : I'd like something that I can plug Guitars & Basses into (with or without my Digitech150), a plug for a Mic (condenser or dynamic so phantom power would help), and a place to plug my Carbon49 midi keyboard so I could play all my apps. I'd like headphones for hearing what I'm doing, and it would be great to be able to hook some floor speakers up (not crammed into the laundry room!) so I could hear it in the TV room without headphones on. I basically want to leave my instruments all plugged in with levels set so I could just pick an instrument up and start playing. The smallest package I can come up with to do all this is the Alesis IO dock using a midi cable (Carbon49 only has a midi out and USB out, no In). Is there a better choice (more bells&whistles and cheaper) out there? If anybody knows it would be you folks!

• You might want to look at the Akai EIE (not the Pro ver though, since, I believe there are iOS device compatibility issues.). I believe it supports everything you mentioned.

• edited December 2013

Thanks I'll check it out. So how would an Akai EIE charge an IPad while it's hooked up and jamming with all my instruments? I see hints in this post that it could, but I can't find a clearly spelled out way to get this done. The charging part is important to me.

• edited December 2013

i tested my numark pt10 usb turntable /w cck and it seems to work perfectly (older ipad mini, lightning-cck, iOS7). the input seems to work in stereo and sound output is through headphone output (the usb audio is one-way only).

edit: for some reason you have to plug the headphone output after you connect the cck. otherwise the h/p-output stays muted.

• edited December 2013

I'm looking for a decently priced (preferably under $60) interface alternative for plugging in guitar to use with Agile AmpKit and similar modeling software. Currently, I'm using the Positive Grid JamUp Plug, which is all of $19.99 and plugs into the 3.5mm jack:

http://www.lonephantom.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/20111214-211314.jpg

Honestly, I have no complaints about the sound quality at all - plenty of low end and definition/clarity. However, I'm getting a fair amount of feedback with the AmpKit software, and I'm wondering if this is a problem with all headphone jack inputs, or if some are better than others. It's worse on some models than others, and I can play with the input/output gain a little bit to help, but it just seems like it's more of a problem than it should be once you introduce any type of amplifier gain.

Can anyone recommend a good simple hookup that is less prone to feedback? PG is releasing a new JamUp HD plug that appears to be a 30-pin hookup, but I think it was about $75 U.S. (I have an iPad 2). Thanks!

EDIT: Apogee Jam is $99 but looks like it could be one of the better options - is the use of the headphone jack as opposed to 30-pin/Lightning causing feedback issues?

• @NoiseHorse - I don't believe it charges the iOS device.

• I see that Amazon is currently selling the Akai EIE for US$120 (will ship when they get back in stock). That sounds good to me. Could anyone comment on the sound quality compared with Focusrite in the same price bracket ($100-200)? I already have a mixer sending "tape out" to a Behringer UCA202 (US$30).

• @funkjunkie27: thanks for your advice. The features of the Akai are better than unbelievable! I'll have to kick it around in my head a little before I settle on one.

• I can't comment on the quality compared to Focusrite, since I don't have any of their gear (yet), but I've been very happy with the quality. I paid $145 for mine, so for $120, I'd certainly recommend it.

• edited December 2013

hi there!

i am a little bit lost. i want a good audio interface for an ipad mini retina. i had thought about the roland duo capture-ex, but i read it didn't work for someone using ios7 and ipad air. also in their website, they just ignore new idevices compativility:

http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=information&p=UA-22&id=62482032

has anyone tried new ipad mini retina with roland duo capture-ex?

any other audiocard around that price? tested in ipad mini retina? ...i would like it to have midi also.

thanks a lot!

• Any iconnectmidi 2+ user wanna comment on the latency ? Is it worth for real-time loop recording or EFX processing ?

• edited December 2013

@JeffHomuth said:

I'm wondering if this is a problem with all headphone jack inputs, or if some are better than others.

Yes and yes. The line in and out are right next to each other so you get crosstalk with all headphone jack inputs. I think the original ampkit link does a little better than most of them because of some active circuitry voodoo.

Best thing you can do is to turn the iPad/iPhone volume as far down as you can.

EDIT: Apogee Jam is $99 but looks like it could be one of the better options - is the use of the headphone jack as opposed to 30-pin/Lightning causing feedback issues?

Yep.

• I've got a question for Akai EiE users - is it possible to use it to sync the midi clocks of my iPad and laptop? I guess this depends if an iPad can connect via one of the flat USB inputs...

• Anybody use, like, or know anything about the Behringer IStudio IS202?

• Wow this is a long post! I've read through all of these and haven't heard much mention of the Presonus brand. I bought a Presonus Audiobox last year just to recoerd into my Macbook and now I want to use it for Ipad. I've read that you have to hookup a powered USB hub, but I'm just wondering if that affects Midi at all? In the end I think the Roland Duo is where it's at just for portability, but I would love to use what I already have in the meantime. Anyone have any experience/thoughts/feelings? Also, I was wondering if just hooking up a simple USB splitter, (one part to a wall charger, the other to the Ipad via CCK) would work.

• I'm trying to find a app that will let me Record video with GarageBand and guitar apps.

• I don't think the CCK allows charging. This interfaces that charge as well do so via direct Lightning or 30 pin connectors. Also, don't use a splitter at all.

• (Hey I thought I should copy this post that was in a different thread. It answered some questions I didn't understand until I got it hooked up:)

I just got my $39 Griffin StudioConnect today from Sweetwater. I plugged my Carbon49 into it thru the MIDI 5-pin cable (and powered my Carbon with a IPhone wall charger connected to a Flat USB-to-tinyUSB cable into the USB input on my Carbon49 keyboard. I also plugged my guitar into the 1/4" jack (I ran an ole Digitech 150 guitar pedal in between) and that level can be controlled with the little wheel on the side of the Griffin interface. I also plugged an 1/8" stereo cord into that input on the back of the Griffin, and plugged it into my old IPhone which is loaded with vocal & reverb type apps, to use it as a Microphone. I can control the level using the Phone's volume. I recorded all 3 inputs simultaneously thru Audiobus into Auria, and threw Funbox in at the same time. The Griffin StudioConnect can do all of its inputs at the same time with no problems! However in my quick test, the mic input and guitar input were on the same track. MIDI was separate. Also hooked some old Numark M-1 powered speakers into the line out jacks and they sound great with this interface. This dude is definitely worth $39 for what I'm doing. Ps: IPad4 using an Apple lightning adapter.

• @Dubhausdisco said:

Funjunkie, yeah I tried it. When I first got my iPad and cck, I tried one of my Stanton t90 USB decks with it and it worked! Very cool workflow as it was patched into my dj mixer. Vinyl recorded to the iPad, and playback came back through the deck (even compensated for riia curve)!!!
    Anyways, yeah I've tried a few devices thru the USB on the EIE and apparently it will only let you have one at a time.
    Ps- is apple still making the cck? I haven't seen any at my usual haunts lately.

Hey man, thanks for the input. Two questions:
    1. Does it power through cck or do you need to plug it in? I kind of suspect it must be wall socket powered but thought I asked anyway.
    2. How did you get bm2 to work with transport controls on you mpc hardware? I've tried to make it work with maudio axiom air keyboard but failed as it doesn't seem to be midi learn-able. What am I missing?

• @JFMusicDude said:

I recently bought an Akai EIE, based on Dubhausdisco's recommendation () and seeing it integrated in his studio setup - and I have to say it's one of the best pieces of audio gear that I've bought in a LONG time. Works perfectly with my iPad 2. It's a great-sounding (and great-looking) solid brick of an interface. A few notes about it: 1) As Dubhausdisco mentions, DO NOT take a chance on buying a generic Camera Connection Kit - shell out the few extra dollars for the one made by Apple. I made the mistake of buying one of those "all-in-one" iOS adapters, and the EIE just didn't work with it. 2) Having 3 USB ports available - plus the standard MIDI I/O - opens up a lot of possibilities. My main reason for buying it was for the multitrack audio recording, not so much as a MIDI interface. I connected an M-AUDIO Trigger Finger (USB) and an Alesis Fusion MIDI synth (5-pin MIDI) each on its own MIDI channel playing separate sounds in Magellan. And then the iPad can be used as an X-Y touchpad controller to modulate the sounds. Amazing!

One problem I DID have was that I got an incompatibility error when connecting my older Evolution MK-249C MIDI controller via USB into the EIE. It was getting power over USB, but the iPad wouldn't recognize it as a MIDI input device. So the workaround I came up with was to connect the MK-249C via USB AND the standard 5-pin MIDI connection simultaneously (the USB just being used for power). Once I did that, the MK-249C worked fine. It does use up an input, but that's not a big deal to me right now.

The fact that I can also use the EIE with my PC or a laptop - that's a major bonus. Sorry for the cliche', but this thing really IS like a Swiss army knife of audio/MIDI gear.

Sometimes new pieces of gear just add more clutter to a home studio setup. The EIE is the opposite; it's one of those rare pieces of gear that simplifies your studio and actually reduces the amount of clutter. I found it for $140 on Amazon. It's definitely a bargain.

Really looking forward to following this discussion board. Good stuff.

Hey. Just realized I directed my questions at the wrong person! Here I come again:
    1. Does die power through cck or needs wall brick?
    2. Ho did you manage bm2 to respond to transport controls from mpc? Is it a midi learn feature? I couldn't find it! Cheers in advance

• It does require ext power. I can't address the second question though...I don't have an MPC.

• I forgot to add that I've not had a problem using multiple devices at the same time through the eie.