Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Recommend an Interface

Comments

• @jazzy1 - just working out the kinks and should have Quartet/iPad conversion going on here (until new MBP/iMac comes out).

In my opinion, and outside of the instruments, it's the converter you splurge on!

• Has anybody tried the NI Kontakt 10 or 8 with the iPad ?

• So, I finally got the Akai EIE. It is a grat looking, solid piece of hardware. Do you guys run the iPad into one of the "regular" usb ports or the squarish "USB B" port?

• The squarish USB port. Lol

• Hi there. I'm new to all of this but I'm sure that I can get a lot of help here. I recently purchased an iPad 4th gen and want to use it for mobile multitrack audio recording. I have a small studio in my apartment with a lot of keyboards and guitars.
    What I want to be able to do is record at least 8 audio tracks simultaneously. I realize that I'm going to have to come up with a multiple headphone system but that's a problem that I'll deal with at a later date. I'm thinking about 2 different ways of doing this. The first is to use a Berhinger x3218 USB mixer and the second is to use a Presonus 1818VSL. I would prefer the Berhinger as I could also use it for other things but I was told that I would only be able to record through it to 2 tracks on my iPad. I have Cubasis. I would be using the camera kit.
    Does anybody know if this is at all possible to do?
    All help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a ton!

Jermykeys

• The Akai EIE will support 4 simultaneous audio (1/4 and/or XLR) inputs, with three or more midi inputs. I say more because I believe you could add a hub, but I haven't tried it yet. There is a limitation on how you can mix the 1/4 and XLR inputs too, but I don't recall specifics. I think that if you mix them, you can do 2 of each. It's relatively inexpensive too. I realized that might not be quite what you're looking for, but I think that once you get up to 8 audio track interfaces, the price ramps up quite a bit.

• I found the headphone routing of the Presonus 1818VSL a little unintuitive. In particular you lose headphone out when you disconnect it from the PC. Then when connected to the iPad you get to hear the DAW output only if you explicitly route it to out 9+10. Nothing from anything else. I found Presonus remarkably unresponsive when I asked them about this. It was a deal-stopper for me.

For the same pice, but a more logical iPad-friendly arrangement (and quick service responses:), I would recommend the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20. One major difference is the Presonus does its monitor mixing on a PC/Mac host. Its iPad app is in fact only a remote for the host mxer. The box itself is just a set of ins and outs. Nice circuitry, but no attention to iPad portable use cases.

The 18i20 OTOH mixes in the box. And because of this it will remember the headphone assignments when away from your desktop DAW. So you'll hear the output from stereo only iPad apps in the headphones too. iPad by default sends the stereo out to channels 1,2. The 18i20 has two headphone outs with independent mix, routing, and level control too.

-ve is no iPad mix control for the 18i20, but in practice I've not found that to be an issue. I haven't tried Cubasis with it yet, but Auria quite likes it. Can record all channels simultaneously (with iPad 4 anyway). The box is also about twice the depth of the Presonus. The full channel count is via ADAT. The odd 2 channels I/O are coax S/PDIF. Both boxes have 8 instrument tracks I/O + Main stereo out.

But your main criteria may be how many of those inputs are mic/instr/line. Only 2 on the 18i20 (the other 6 are line only), while the Presonus big win (for lots of guitars to plug in directly) is all 8 are XLR combos.

• I just received and started checking out the Akai EIE (non-pro version) after reading lots of post recommending it for use with an iPad. While I'm getting all the input/output options I would ever want with iPad apps, the mic level inputs seem to have EXTREMELYlow gain. I'm testing it out with SM57/SM58 mics, and the gain has to be all the way up on a channel in order to get adequate level. And at this level I get a noticeable hum (have tried different mics/cables, etc). Any similar experience with this unit and workarounds? I really liked the self-contained options in this interface, but it doesn't seem usable to me at this point. hoping I'm missing something obvious. I wouldn't want to have to add preamps to the chain.

• I've researched what's been trending and it appears as though the USB hub technology is getting a.) advanced and b.) cheaper. I would stay way from the the $6-700 dollar interfaces. Much of what is coming out in the near future is going to be leaps and bounds beyond what is readily available, most notably the iConnect series.

http://www.iconnectivity.com/

So very balanced. It's the IKEA of interfaces.

• @cwiggins999 do you have the mic set to mic/line? If so, is the -48VDC set correctly? I don't have any problems with any mica I've tried, although I haven't tried the SM57/58....don't have either.

• Any using the Roland Duo Capture MK2? It seems to have all of the features I'm looking for and is under $100. If nothing better is available in that price range, I may buy it this fall/winter.

• I sent the Akai EIE back due to the lack of gain available when using "live" mics - like an SM57/58. Had to turn the gain all the way up to get a reading, and that resulted in significant noise. Any other recommendations - considering that I want to use this mainly in a live setting versus home recording. I'd prefer something that isn't designed specifically for the iPad, as I'm not sure how compatible those will be for future iPad models.

• @cwiggins999 the Focusrite Scarlett line might be what you are looking for. There is a range of models $150 -$300, ranging from 2 inputs to 18 with MIDI.

I have the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and I'm really impressed with the noise free gains.
    I can patch in MIDI using a USB hub if I ever need it, so I'm quite happy.

• I use SM57/58 with my Scarlett 2i2 and 18i6 very happily. I have a mic test sample up on SoundCloud of the SM57 with no processing, to illustrate the raw capture characteristics of the combo miking a classical guitar. Not intended to be a performance, and frankly sucks in places, but listen to the audio quality:

btw, the SM57 in use is 30 years old and still good.

Look around for prices. The 18i6 typical street is $300 but I found an outlet on Amazon at $200. The 2i2 runs you $149, never found a lower pice on that.

• edited September 2013

@dwarman If you had it all to do over again, and could choose from any of the devices that are currently available within the same price range ($150), would you still choos the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2? How is it with Windows computers as well?

• @Audiojunkie - yes, still like Focusrite hardware, pricey though it is. Never tried it on Windows, though I expect it to work fine, their monitor and config app comes in both flavors. They are all Class Compliant. I use the Mac version, again no problems.

I occasionally look at the mixers with USB, like Mackie and Alesis and Behringer, but none of them do Class 2 multichannel yet. I still grimace at my bricked Alesis Master Control in my closet which did 16 channels to the host, albeit FireWire. So now I am looking for somebody to do a sound reinforcement mixer for iPad, Auria with a 18i6 box attached (but without an ADAT active) is just a bit to heavy duty for that role.

• Thanks for the info! I'm stuck on a really, really tight budget, and I am looking for something to record better vocals than the built in mic on the ipad.

• Do you already have a good microphone? Need to run two of them ? Quality vs budget might say look at the little Behringer for $80:

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-Xenyx-Q802USB-Audio-Mixer/dp/B008O517IC

I see quite a few iPad rig photos with Behringers quietly mixing in the shadows, not shabby for the price.

But the 2i2 runs off USB power so is less fussy to use, as well as the audio quality follows the price, but only the two inputs.

• Oh yes, one other thing: the Behringer headphone output is post main fader, so you have no headphone level when you lower the main to the amp or board. Focusrites all have independent headphone amps and control. Some have two of them. The bigger ones can give them different mixes too.

• I used to have a pretty decent project studio about 11 years ago. I've sold off most of my better gear over the years, but still have a few mics left, including some cheapy off-brand dynamics and condensers, a couple of SM57s and an almost unused original model Rode NT1. My main usage will be vocals with my NT1, so I don't anticipate needing too much. I hoped to have the ability to record in stereo with two mics if needed or to record my Roland JV-1010 or my Boss VF-1 in stereo if needed, but at my current budget, I can't be picky. Do the Behringers have a low latency? Also, do they have enough gain in their preamps to not be noisy? Also, what about the other Behringer Xenyx USB mixers--will they work too? I currently have an almost new 16 channel mixer that doesn't have USB and an ART Dual Tube MP rack preamp and only need a iOS compatible interface, but I really would rather be portable (I know, I know...1st world problems). :-) Anyway, the point is that I would prefer the device I get be as small and as portable as possible. Do you think the Behringer 302USB ($50) would work? Or possibly a Behringer Xenyx Q502USB ($60) or an ART USB Dual Pre ($75) or an ART USB Dual Tube Pre ($100)?

• If you already have that nice 16 ch mixer and consider it portable, then all you need is the little Behringer 202 or 222 interface at $30.

If instead you want to go Behringer, I have not checked the noise floor on the Behringer pre-amps. Their spec is pretty good, but then their spec is a spec:) I have a non-USB 502 with the same specs, I'll probable be able to check it out for you tonight or tomorrow (depending on when I crash tonight). I'll check it with my SM57. The 202 is pretty quiet. Lots of folks here use them happily. I think the 802USB is basically a 802 non-USB with a 202 stuffed inside, so the comparison should be valid - and I can compare it to the Focusrite directly. Also, I believe all models use the same pre-amps and mixer circuitry, just more or less of it. My main complaint is the size of the power supply.

• My 16 channel mixer is definitely not portable. LOL! That's why I want something smaller. My worry with the small Behringer mixers is quality and latency. Low latency is important, but I've never used devices with my iPad, so I don't know what to expect. Honestly, I've been leaning toward the ART USB Dual Tube Pre since it's portable and fairly complete. My ultimate device would be the Roland Duo Capture Ex, but I can't afford that one. The Focusrite 2i2 seemed to be a compromise but may be too expensive for my budget right now. If these Behringer mixers are portable enough, and sound good and have a low latency, I may want to look into one of them, since they are much cheaper than the other options right now. I'd definitely be interested in your findings on the non-USB 502! :-) Thanks for your help!

• edited September 2013

@audiojunkie I've made a reasonably successful habit of skipping behringer products. I'd hold out for something better.

• You could always just order one from Amazon and try it out. Their return policy is pretty lax. But I should get to the test tonight.

When you say "portable", do you mean as in on the bus/train/car, or as in AC power is available? If the former, choices get more limited. The 802 requires AC. They have a bus powered baby, the 302USB, but that only has one XLR pre-amp input. $49 though. Then there's M-Audio, but my experience with them is not as smooth. Noise issues mostly. The 2i2 wins if you can stretch to it.

• Hi, When I say portable, I mean small and not a lot of cables. I don't mind "a" power cable to go along with the USB cable, but a device that requires a power cable, a usb cable, and a portable hub is a little too much for me. One of the reasons I've moved away from my larger systems is because I want more simplicity. I used to have time to go and set up everything, patch the cables, adjust the settings, etc., etc., but nowadays, I'm lucky to get 15-20 minutes of free time to myself. I want to be able to plug in and get productive. That's why I'm stuck when it comes to a small budget--one has to pay more for the technology that gives such conveniences. :-) So, I'm stuck trying to find the best I can in the lousy price range I find myself in. :-)

By the way, I've read that a lot of people are having to use powered hubs for their 2i2s with iOS7. What are your experiences with that?

So the 302USB is bus powered? It doesn't require a hub with iOS7?

• edited September 2013

From what I know, the 2i2 always requires a powered USB hub ( on any device or iOS version). The only Focusrite that doesn't is the iTrack Solo which is MFI

• Yes, 2i2 is just over the limit. It would be nice if the device also had one of those little barrel 5v connector to give it the power directly and not need the hub. A USB juicer is then a nice way to power it. Next step of course is a direct lightning or 30 pin cable, like comes with the Apogee Jam. We can wish ...

I'm still a little unclear as to your use case. Sounds like we have similar problems - limited time and not at home - except I do not need the audio part, my externals are MIDI controllers?

• edited September 2013

I just made a decision. I stopped over to my local Guitar Center, and found that the USB Dual Tube Pre was on sale new for $89!!!! That's the cheapest I've seen it anywhere--even used!!! It uses an AC adapter (but it's a small one), and doesn't require a hub. Seems like a pretty decent trade-off. I'll need to try it out now and see how things go. I'll let everyone know my opinions on it. Thanks again for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• good luck! looks like a good unit. if you also have a usb keyboard like a QuNexus or nanoKEYS you might even get away with a unpowered hub for the pair.

• Well, I played with the unit last night, and it seems to work pretty well! I think my Rode NT1 is dead though. I tried getting it to respond through the ART Dual Tube Pre, and couldn't get anything. I tried using my Audio Technica AT8801 phantom power supply with it and still didn't get a response. There's really nothing to break on the Audio Technica (just plug it in), so I suspect the problem is the mic. My Shure SM57s worked well though, and I got a nice sounding test recording using that. My Rode NT1 probably got damaged somehow in the 11 years of not being used--unfortunate, because I really liked the sound from that mic. I'll probably take both my Rode NT1 and my ART Dual Tube Pre to Guitar Center and test against some known-working devices, just to confirm that it is the Rode and not the ART that is having problems. I don't know how to repair mics, so I'd be willing to bet that it costs as much to repair one as it does to buy another one, but I'll have to check to be sure......