Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis 3.4 adding Ableton Link Support and more is available

Comments

• @Bob said:
    @LFS
    Not sure if mentioned before, but when erasing one or more clips in the arrangement view, Cubasis freezes.
    The “erase” tab greys out and Cubasis keeps playing for a while before shutting down and then restarts.
    I have tried several Audio settings, multicore and latency, but no solution.
    Ipad Pro 4th gen
    IOS 15.3.1
    Not sure what could be causing this.

Very happy with the update though.

Just your of curiosity...

When you erase the clips are the clips playing or did you stop playback prior to deleting them?
    Are the clips a mixture of both audio and midi-clips or just audio or just midi?

I'm asking since I can't reproduce the issue and have tried deleting all combinations of clips.
    (I tried with about 10 unique clips at one time, both audio and midi with internal and AUv3's).

Does it behave the same if you erase them one-by-one?

I guess once there's a repeatable pattern and use-case it can be fixed...

Cheers!

• @Samu said:

@Bob said:
    @LFS
    Not sure if mentioned before, but when erasing one or more clips in the arrangement view, Cubasis freezes.
    The “erase” tab greys out and Cubasis keeps playing for a while before shutting down and then restarts.
    Ipad Pro 4th gen
    IOS 15.3.1

Just your of curiosity...

When you erase the clips are the clips playing or did you stop playback prior to deleting them?
    Are the clips a mixture of both audio and midi-clips or just audio or just midi?

I'm asking since I can't reproduce the issue and have tried deleting all combinations of clips.
    (I tried with about 10 unique clips at one time, both audio and midi with internal and AUv3's).

Does it behave the same if you erase them one-by-one?

I guess once there's a repeatable pattern and use-case it can be fixed...

Cheers!

I will need to verify this while in the session.
    So far the issue happened while erasing audio clips, but I will check to make sure and report back.
    Thanks Samu.

• @Bob said:

So far the issue happened while erasing audio clips, but I will check to make sure and report back.
    Thanks Samu.

Was this during 'playback' or when the transport was stopped?
    I can imagine many 'complications' when deleting events that are being used such deleting an audio even that is playing.

So far 3.4 has been very stable on my ancient iPad Air 2. I'm looking forward to 3.4.1 that will fix some audio export issues...

• @ecou said:

@wim said:

@ecou said:
    So everybody seems to be excited about Abelton link. I went to look on the website and it links app together. Ok that tell me a lot. Cubasis already links all my Auv3 together. Is it a IAA thingy?

What do YOU use it for ?

It's just a better (in some people's opinion) option to do some of the same things MIDI Clock sync does, but more transparently, and over Wifi and across devices without having to wire things together. It's like a big metronome for all apps and devices that support it. No setup or routing - just turn it on and any app that supports it on any device on the same network syncs to everything else.

There is no master/slave relationship where you need to decide which device/app is the master. You can start and stop from any member. Any member can adjust the tempo. Apps can be made to start on bar boundaries. It has automatic adjustments to keep things in sync. Probably some other things too. Note, some of those things can be thought of as disadvantages vs. MIDI Clock depending on your outlook.

In the case of Cubasis, it's huge. Until now, Cubasis could not be a clock slave to other app, it had to be the master for tempo.

If it is huge what are the use case? I can’t think of any. But I am pretty new to electronic music.

It's huge for two reasons:
    1. Cubasis can now synchronise with any LINK supporting app - Even Nanostudio 2 if you like
    2. Audio tracks are time stretched to match tempo changes. Very few DAWs can do that. As far as I know only Beatmaker 3 did that until now.

• Why isn't there plugin latency compensation, yet? That's a must have feature unless a random phasing is an effect you're after.

• This is really huge for those that swear by NS2’s mighty midi sequencer! Now NS2 doesn’t need audio tracks! It can interface with CB3 with Link!

@rs2000 said:

@ecou said:

@wim said:

@ecou said:
    So everybody seems to be excited about Abelton link. I went to look on the website and it links app together. Ok that tell me a lot. Cubasis already links all my Auv3 together. Is it a IAA thingy?

What do YOU use it for ?

It's just a better (in some people's opinion) option to do some of the same things MIDI Clock sync does, but more transparently, and over Wifi and across devices without having to wire things together. It's like a big metronome for all apps and devices that support it. No setup or routing - just turn it on and any app that supports it on any device on the same network syncs to everything else.

There is no master/slave relationship where you need to decide which device/app is the master. You can start and stop from any member. Any member can adjust the tempo. Apps can be made to start on bar boundaries. It has automatic adjustments to keep things in sync. Probably some other things too. Note, some of those things can be thought of as disadvantages vs. MIDI Clock depending on your outlook.

In the case of Cubasis, it's huge. Until now, Cubasis could not be a clock slave to other app, it had to be the master for tempo.

If it is huge what are the use case? I can’t think of any. But I am pretty new to electronic music.

1. Cubasis can now synchronise with any LINK supporting app - Even Nanostudio 2 if you like
    2. Audio tracks are time stretched to match tempo changes. Very few DAWs can do that. As far as I know only Beatmaker 3 did that until now.

• @Bob said:
    @LFS
    Ipad Pro 4th gen
    IOS 15.3.1

Hi @Bob,

Glad to read that you‘re happy with the update.

Please provide us with the steps and/or the project allowing our engineers to reproduce the problem.

In addition, it would be great to provide a short clip showing the steps and issue.

Lastly, the crash reports might be of additional help for our engineers to further analyze the issue.

Please upload the files via Dropbox or similar, and let me have the download links via private message.

If possible, it would be very helpful to have these infos as soon as possible, since we‘re in preparation of Cubasis 3.4.1 already.

Thanks in advance!

Best wishes
    & stay well,
    Lars

• @Tones4Christ said:
    This is really huge for those that swear by NS2’s mighty midi sequencer! Now NS2 doesn’t need audio tracks! It can interface with CB3 with Link!

@rs2000 said:

@ecou said:

@wim said:

@ecou said:

What do YOU use it for ?

Yay! And what's even better, both can run on different devices and sync over WiFi 😊

• Really hope this helps NS2 and CB3 sales!
    Both are truly must have apps for serious music composers.

@rs2000 said:

@Tones4Christ said:
    This is really huge for those that swear by NS2’s mighty midi sequencer! Now NS2 doesn’t need audio tracks! It can interface with CB3 with Link!

@rs2000 said:

@ecou said:

@wim said:

@ecou said:

What do YOU use it for ?

Yay! And what's even better, both can run on different devices and sync over WiFi 😊

• @Samu said:

@Bob said:

Thanks Samu.

Was this during 'playback' or when the transport was stopped?
    I can imagine many 'complications' when deleting events that are being used such deleting an audio even that is playing.

So far 3.4 has been very stable on my ancient iPad Air 2. I'm looking forward to 3.4.1 that will fix some audio export issues...

I have done some more tests in my current session and yes indeed, it happens during playback.

@LFS said:

@Bob said:
    @LFS
    Ipad Pro 4th gen
    IOS 15.3.1

Hi @Bob,

Glad to read that you‘re happy with the update.

Please provide us with the steps and/or the project allowing our engineers to reproduce the problem.

In addition, it would be great to provide a short clip showing the steps and issue.

Lastly, the crash reports might be of additional help for our engineers to further analyze the issue.

Please upload the files via Dropbox or similar, and let me have the download links via private message.

If possible, it would be very helpful to have these infos as soon as possible, since we‘re in preparation of Cubasis 3.4.1 already.

Thanks in advance!

Best wishes
    & stay well,
    Lars

Thanks for reaching out. I have encountered that not only Cubasis freezes while "erasing" clips but in general while doing other actions.
    For example, I also get a delayed response when copy pasting clips.
    On the other hand, it is the first time I use a few instances of Layr, but I don't see any CPU spikes while checking if this could be causing the crash.
    I will PM you the files asap. Thank you

• @Bob said:
    Thanks for reaching out. I have encountered that not only Cubasis freezes while "erasing" clips but in general while doing other actions.
    For example, I also get a delayed response when copy pasting clips.
    On the other hand, it is the first time I use a few instances of Layr, but I don't see any CPU spikes while checking if this could be causing the crash.
    I will PM you the files asap. Thank you

Hi @Bob,

Normally this should not happen.
    Please give the following steps a try:

(1) Load the "New Project" project template.
    (2) Close all running apps, including Cubasis.
    (3) Fully shut down the iPad.

Does Cubasis works as expected once having relaunched the iOS device and the app?

P.S.: Nevertheless please share the crash reports with me, and share the report with Living Memory Software too.

Best,
    Lars

• We've received a similar App Store rating, where controller data seems not to be stretched.
    Unfortunately the team is unable to reproduce the problem, and the user did not reply so far.

If you still encounter issues using MIDI time-stretching, please share the steps (and maybe a short clip), to allow our engineers evaluating the problem.

Thanks!

Stay well,
    Lars

Thanks Lars,

Midi time stretching works perfectly for me including CC data like modulation etc.. I was talking about automation data like volume, plug-in parameters. These don’t get stretched but I guess since this isn’t Midi data, I wouldn’t expect it to.

• I wonder if the new Waves CR8 Creative Sampler will make its way to CB3 via IAP. Would be a welcome addition for sure! @LFS

• @Lil_Stu07 said:
    I wonder if the new Waves CR8 Creative Sampler will make its way to CB3 via IAP. Would be a welcome addition for sure! @LFS

I'd be more than happy with the 'Cubase Sample Track' to be honest as that would cover >90% of my sampling needs.
    The remaining 10% I can always work-around (ie. using multiple tracks for drum kits and layers etc.).

@LFS is the Cubase Sampler Track for Cubasis is not yet on the 'to-do/roadmap' I'd appreciate if it got added to the list...
    ...If it is already on the to-do list a simple 'Yes, It's on the List' would be enough, no need for any dates or stuff like that...

Cheers!

• I don't know if it happened to you too but when I select the "cicle" button and stop the playback of a midi from Cubasis to my hardware synth they continue to play the last note continuously.
    The only way to stop everything is to turn off the hardware.
    I found the problem on both Volca Bass and Modal Skulpt.

• Hi all,

Please note that we've released Cubasis 3.4.1 a few minutes ago:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/49213/cubasis-3-4-1-available#latest

Stay well
    & best wishes,
    Lars

• @rs2000 said:

@ecou said:

@wim said:

@ecou said:

What do YOU use it for ?

This interests me @rs2000. Am I correct in thinking ypthatif I record an audio drum track at 80bpm I can increase the tempo to 180bpm the audio track will increase to that rate? Is it automatic with a bpm change or do I have to stretch that drum track individually ?

• edited February 2022

@LinearLineman said:

@rs2000 said:

@ecou said:

@wim said:

@ecou said:

What do YOU use it for ?

This interests me @rs2000. Am I correct in thinking ypthatif I record an audio drum track at 80bpm I can increase the tempo to 180bpm the audio track will increase to that rate? Is it automatic with a bpm change or do I have to stretch that drum track individually ?

Yes and in fact that's no new feature:

What's new is that now you can have Cubasis play in sync with other apps or even other iPhones and iPads over WiFi.

Your example is extreme though. Stretching time by so much will give you these light speed artifacts known from extreme time stretching, a side effect that you don't have when working with MIDI triggering individual drum samples.
    Within reasonable amounts (in the 10..20% range of change), the quality is usually acceptable though.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @rs2000, got it.

Hi @LinearLineman,

There is a quick and easy way to check out the "Auto Time-Stretching" feature yourself.
    Simply load the "Smear" demo, start playback and change the tempo.

Time-stretching has been added with the release of Cubasis 2 back then.

To learn more about the feature, you might have a look at these tutorials (the first one linked, has been created by our great friend Jakob Haq @jakoB_haQ - warm greetings to you & hope you're well, Jakob!):

CUBASIS 2 Time-strech │ Remix with ease - haQ attaQ 176

Creating a Groove in Cubasis 2 | New Features in Cubasis 2

Hope that helps!

Best wishes,
    Lars

• edited March 2022

Has anyone been able to link cubasis 3 and nanostudio 2 via Ableton link? tried new projects today and although linked neither software controlled the other via the transports.

Wait - ignore me. Problem is with nanostudio 2 - other programs work as expected with cubasis. 🙂

• @Hypervox said:
    Has anyone been able to link cubasis 3 and nanostudio 2 via Ableton link? tried new projects today and although linked neither software controlled the other via the transports.

Wait - ignore me. Problem is with nanostudio 2 - other programs work as expected with cubasis. 🙂

It works fine here. Are you sure you have both Link and Start/Stop enabled in NS2? Start/Stop is disabled by default I think. You also need Background Audio enabled in NS2 settings.

• Ah thanks wim - I missed that vital step - all working now. The two combined will hopefully give me what I need.

• edited May 2022

If you can record from aum to cubasis. Can you route tracks back out instead to aum and create allocated bus sends. For midi mapping au effects in aum?

lol dont worry.

• @LFS Can I pay like 200$ IAP or Tip to you for drag and drop audio on to the timeline. 😎😁

• When recording multiple midi takes in the same place on the timeline Cubasis creates a separate clip per take rather than overdubbing midi into a single clip. Any way to force cubasis to overdub? Alternatively is there a way to combine two or more clips sitting on top of each other into a single clip after recording multiple takes?

• FPCFPC
    edited June 2022

@ecamburn
    I'm not sure if there is an option to automatically combine them - I wish there was (maybe I'm missing something too?)

To manually combine them make sure you've highlighted "Select" (top left) and then draw a rectangle over the areas where (you think!) they are then press "Glue".

Not a very elegant way if you ask me but that's how I do it.

• edited June 2022

• @FPC selecting via dragging then glueing does it. I was selecting via tapping which only selects the top layer. Thanks.

• How do I use cubasis routing. Using audio4c. Cubasis is reciever ipad but is showing how audio4c is setup with 4 outputs but these should be from other ipad.

Via routing its showing 10 inputs and 4 outputs. But should be showing as 4 inputs because its on another usb port of audio 4c