Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Which basic DAW for Mac?

Comments

• Live! Try Simpler, an internal 'effect',and you'll understand why. I strongly recommend Seed to Stage YouTube channel

• @arfo62 said:
    Live! Try Simpler, an internal 'effect',and you'll understand why. I strongly recommend Seed to Stage YouTube channel

Found and subscribed, thanks.

Any concrete video or playlist recommendation?

• Live Intro has 16 tracks vs 8 in Lite. I believe that’s the only difference though I may be wrong

If anyone is interested, Bitwig 8-track license can be acquired here thanks to Computer Music: https://futureplc.slgnt.eu/optiext/optiextension.dll?ID=PbkPkgSxBj+FMGgdXiv3p3XkDYyA4VDAQDD8nyVGK5Fb9BW5yyvaVqouW4EluGxydIioemaldZBNf64KbS

• edited February 2022

@tja said:

@arfo62 said:
    Live! Try Simpler, an internal 'effect',and you'll understand why. I strongly recommend Seed to Stage YouTube channel

Found and subscribed, thanks.

Any concrete video or playlist recommendation?

These are only four but I found quite every STS video very useful and clear, expecially when it comes to sound design and production tecniques

• edited February 2022

Seed to Stage runs his own YOuTube channel, of course, but he also created three online courses

https://courses.seedtostage.com/p/home

and if you subscribe you get a 40% discount on Live purchase, as an educational offer…. You can find STS videos on Ableton official site too…
    I didn’t suscribe as I wouldn’t have time at the moment but I’m planning to do in a future… (sound design particularly and/or mixing mastering)

I’m not paid by STS :D (but I could ask him to, for this advertising ;) )

• Choosing a DAW is like choosing a partner.

We all have our own ‘type’ and know when we’re smitten. And we don’t care what anybody else thinks, or give two shits about what anybody elses type is when we find ‘the one’.

And as much as you love them, they will occasionally drive you crazy.

You just have to find you own type and be confident with your choice. Trust your instinct.

Oh, and don’t cheap out. A DAW can be a lifelong partnership. You need to start off with the right one. You don’t want to start off with something cheap and trashy. You’ll only want to upgrade later. Choose well first time and stick with it.

And don’t be unfaithful, you’ll always be missing what you’ve left behind if you wander…

• @tja said:

@vasilymilovidov said:
    there’s also tracktion waveform and it’s pretty wild and has a completely free version

It's contained above and installed, thanks!

Oh yes, I've worked with it for about a year in a collab where money did matter.
    It's a very accessible DAW with good audio and MIDI features and if I weren't to rely on Logic, it might be my second choice.

• I decided to get Studio One. You can buy that quite cheap second hand. Don’t have an regrets, I love everything about it.

• @FloRi89 said:
    I decided to get Studio One. You can buy that quite cheap second hand. Don’t have an regrets, I love everything about it.

That's the so called industrie standard?

I read that for non-industrie people, other DAWs may be more fitting ...

For now I have enough to check out and learn, with Reaper, trials of FL Studio, Bitwig and Ableton Live and the Ableton Live Intro.

• @klownshed said:
    Choosing a DAW is like choosing a partner.

We all have our own ‘type’ and know when we’re smitten. And we don’t care what anybody else thinks, or give two shits about what anybody elses type is when we find ‘the one’.

And as much as you love them, they will occasionally drive you crazy.

You just have to find you own type and be confident with your choice. Trust your instinct.

Oh, and don’t cheap out. A DAW can be a lifelong partnership. You need to start off with the right one. You don’t want to start off with something cheap and trashy. You’ll only want to upgrade later. Choose well first time and stick with it.

And don’t be unfaithful, you’ll always be missing what you’ve left behind if you wander…

This is a very deep posting.
    Many thanks!

I read it three times, each time imagining another context ... and noticed how much it fits!

• @arfo62 said:
    Seed to Stage runs his own YOuTube channel, of course, but he also created three online courses

https://courses.seedtostage.com/p/home

and if you subscribe you get a 40% discount on Live purchase, as an educational offer…. You can find STS videos on Ableton official site too…
    I didn’t suscribe as I wouldn’t have time at the moment but I’m planning to do in a future… (sound design particularly and/or mixing mastering)

I’m not paid by STS :D (but I could ask him to, for this advertising ;) )

Many thanks - added to my ever-growing todo list :smile:

• tjatja
    edited February 2022

@yug said:
    Live Intro has 16 tracks vs 8 in Lite. I believe that’s the only difference though I may be wrong

From https://geekmusician.com/is-ableton-live-intro-worth-it/

Ableton Live Intro    Ableton Live Lite
      Tracks    16 Audio and MIDI Tracks    8 Audio and MIDI Tracks
      Scenes    8   8
      Software Instruments  4   4
      Audio Effects 21  14
      MIDI Effects  8   8
      Send and Return Tracks    2   2

That's totally fine for me ...

But it seems, some things were added meanwhile:

https://www.ableton.com/en/products/live-lite/features/

If anyone is interested, Bitwig 8-track license can be acquired here thanks to Computer Music: https://futureplc.slgnt.eu/optiext/optiextension.dll?ID=PbkPkgSxBj+FMGgdXiv3p3XkDYyA4VDAQDD8nyVGK5Fb9BW5yyvaVqouW4EluGxydIioemaldZBNf64KbS

Many many thanks for this information and the link!

I just got my Bitwig 8-track license :smile: :smile: :smile:

• @tja said:

@FloRi89 said:
    I decided to get Studio One. You can buy that quite cheap second hand. Don’t have an regrets, I love everything about it.

For now I have enough to check out and learn, with Reaper, trials of FL Studio, Bitwig and Ableton Live and the Ableton Live Intro.

I don't think Studio One would even be in the running for industry standard DAW. I'm not saying anything about the quality of Studio One. I wouldn't know either way. But, I would guess that Pro Tools would still be the industry standard for mixing and production. BTW, I'm also not suggesting that Pro Tools is something for you to look at either.

• tjatja
    edited February 2022

@NeonSilicon said:

@tja said:

@FloRi89 said:

I don't think Studio One would even be in the running for industry standard DAW. I'm not saying anything about the quality of Studio One. I wouldn't know either way. But, I would guess that Pro Tools would still be the industry standard for mixing and production. BTW, I'm also not suggesting that Pro Tools is something for you to look at either.

Ah, I confused Studio One with Pro Tools :smiley:
    Sorry

• edited February 2022

@NeonSilicon said:

@tja said:

@FloRi89 said:

I think that the list of music industry standard DAWs, (along with Pro Tools), includes Ableton Live, FL Studio, and Bitwig and other up-and-comers. Pro Tools definitely dominates in the movie business, but the playing field for music production is much wider and includes software recommended above. My 2 cents…

• tjatja
    edited February 2022

@Littlewoodg said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@tja said:

@FloRi89 said:

I think that the list of music industry standard DAWs, (along with Pro Tools), includes Ableton Live, FL Studio, and Bitwig and other up-and-comers. Pro Tools definitely dominates in the movie business, but the playing field for music production is much wider and includes software recommended above. My 2 cents…

I think, that was meant for (professional) "music studios", as for bigger companies... and from several YT videos I got the impression that such companies often use Pro Tools.

• @tja said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@tja said:

@FloRi89 said:

I think, that was meant for (professional) "music studios", as for bigger companies... and from several YT videos I got the impression that such companies often use Pro Tools.

Protools is still considered the standard, sadly, but so many engineers have been using it for over 20 years that it won’t change that quickly. For working to picture it’s definitely still the king. I find it very tedious to use, but I get why it is in the position that it is.

For working in a studio or home studio in which you’re not using the avid DSP hardware though, I don’t think it offers an advantage over anything else.

• Interesting comparision between Ableton Live and Bitwig:

• @yug said:
    Live Intro has 16 tracks vs 8 in Lite. I believe that’s the only difference though I may be wrong

I have Bitwig 8-Track for some weeks now. It’s good enough to evaluate Bitwig but not much more. You can run max 2 VSTs and also its factory instruments and FX are much reduced. I think if you really want to produce something with 8 tracks then Ableton Live Lite is the better choice. At least you can load an Ableton als file into Bitwig 8-Track that exceeds its limits. Then it will run this project but switches to demo mode so that you can play with it but not save it.

• @krassmann said:

@yug said:

I have Bitwig 8-Track for some weeks now. It’s good enough to evaluate Bitwig but not much more. You can run max 2 VSTs and also its factory instruments and FX are much reduced. I think if you really want to produce something with 8 tracks then Ableton Live Lite is the better choice. At least you can load an Ableton als file into Bitwig 8-Track that exceeds its limits. Then it will run this project but switches to demo mode so that you can play with it but not save it.

Ah, interesting - thanks!

• tjatja
    edited February 2022

@krassmann that could mean that I buy Bitwig 16-track as second DAW when the trial is over, as I seem to like it over FL Studio so far.

EDIT:

Oh, even the 16-track version only offers 16-bit audio export, not 24 or 32.
    That is unexpected.

• I have Bitwig, Ableton Live and Reason.
    I use Bitwig the most. It has a clean and understandable interface. It has many modulation options to bring life in your sound sources.
    When i want to do something with samples and experiment with it, i'll grab to Ableton.
    I don't use Reason as a DAW. I don't like the workflow, but as a VST in other Daw's it's very useful.

• @tja said:
    @krassmann that could mean that I buy Bitwig 16-track as second DAW when the trial is over, as I seem to like it over FL Studio so far.

EDIT:

That is unexpected.

It's not perfect but is this really a limitation?
    It wouldn't be for me. When you export, you'd most likely want to push the volume up anyway and since that's only a final bit depth reduction I would claim that the effect is inaudible under normal listening conditions, even with headphones.

• @rs2000 said:

@tja said:

EDIT:

That is unexpected.

It's not perfect but is this really a limitation?
    It wouldn't be for me. When you export, you'd most likely want to push the volume up anyway and since that's only a final bit depth reduction I would claim that the effect is inaudible under normal listening conditions, even with headphones.

You may have a point there.

I just started to run everything at 48k/24-bit and for exchange between DAWs on Mac and between i*OS and macOS, it would be nice to have that same format everywhere.

I know myself - if I use Bitwig more, that will start to bug me and either make me drop it, or upgrade to the full version - which is the intent of this limitation.

Not sure how to handle this 😅😅😅

• BTW, when I started to look at all those DAWs, I found some very basic primers, which I liked:

And more compete tutorials:

There are more, but those - even if older - provide basic understanding quickly 🤗

• @tja Hmmm, who knows, maybe the freezed individual audio tracks are in 24bit format?

• I just discovered that Reaper is actually pretty good at editing video. Maybe it's just because I'm already used to editing audio in it, but damn its the first thing I've used since Vegas Video that I've actually liked.

• @rs2000 said:
    @tja Hmmm, who knows, maybe the freezed individual audio tracks are in 24bit format?

I tried to install my 8-track license into the trial version, but that does not seem to work - at least not while the trial not yet over.

Today, I played around with Ableton Live and I need to say, that Bitwig gels better with me!

To the extent that I uninstalled my Live Trial and moved back up Live Lite installation.
    It's sure nice to have that, for this or that and to try things from time to time, but if one of them, I prefer Bitwig!

• @tja said:

@rs2000 said:
    @tja Hmmm, who knows, maybe the freezed individual audio tracks are in 24bit format?

I tried to install my 8-track license into the trial version, but that does not seem to work - at least not while the trial not yet over.

Today, I played around with Ableton Live and I need to say, that Bitwig gels better with me!

To the extent that I uninstalled my Live Trial and moved back up Live Lite installation.
    It's sure nice to have that, for this or that and to try things from time to time, but if one of them, I prefer Bitwig!

Yeah, I also like Bitwig a lot. The modulation is just awesome. I started out with 8-Track and didn’t start the trial yet - exactly opposite than you 😅 So, I’m missing a lot of modulators, fx and stuff. I’m quite curious about the Grid. Did you check it out?

• @krassmann said:

@tja said:

@rs2000 said:

Yeah, I also like Bitwig a lot. The modulation is just awesome. I started out with 8-Track and didn’t start the trial yet - exactly opposite than you 😅 So, I’m missing a lot of modulators, fx and stuff. I’m quite curious about the Grid. Did you check it out?

I'm not so much into sound design 😅

Found this:

https://www.bitwig.com/the-grid/

Yes, starting with the 8-track and then with the trial would have been better, but I only learned later about the 8-track...