Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM Sync Quantum

I'm familiar with the sync quantum method of recording a fixed number of bars within AUM. This has puzzled me for a while though: BPM set to 60, so 1 beat per second. I set the sync quantum to record 2 bars of 4/4 and I would expect a recording/loop of 8 seconds. Instead I get a recording/loop of 7.9999 seconds?

The closest I have been able to get to the precise 8 second loops I require is by setting the BPM to 59.9, which using the sync quantum method, results in a loop of 8.013 seconds. I then trim this to my required loop length in Audioshare. Close enough for jazz I suppose. ;)

Comments

• @rcf said:
    I'm familiar with the sync quantum method of recording a fixed number of bars within AUM. This has puzzled me for a while though: BPM set to 60, so 1 beat per second. I set the sync quantum to record 2 bars of 4/4 and I would expect a recording/loop of 8 seconds. Instead I get a recording/loop of 7.9999 seconds?

The closest I have been able to get to the precise 8 second loops I require is by setting the BPM to 59.9, which using the sync quantum method, results in a loop of 8.013 seconds. I then trim this to my required loop length in Audioshare. Close enough for jazz I suppose. ;)

What sample rate and what device? It turns out that the OS is a little whacky on some devices (like the iPad 6) that are natively 48k but offer 44k and returns strange numbers of samples per buffer. On those devices, I think you get precisely the right duration at 48k but not 44k.

• rcfrcf
    edited January 2022

Sorry, forgot to mention my device and usage scenario; it's a Mini 5, recording at 48k, and I'm still on iOS v13.7.