Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Program change (MSB and LSB) in either LK or AUM?

Can either LK or AUM get me sending program changes? I can’t seem to figure it out!

Comments

• You can add automation lanes in each clip for PC, Bank Select MSB (CC #0) and Bank Select LSB (CC #32) in LK.

• McDMcD
    edited January 2022

There are 2 types of messages involved in your answer.

1. Bank Select

The Bank Select messages are actually MIDI Controller messages, just like Volume, Pan, Sustain Pedal, Wind, and other controllers. Specifically, the controller number for the "Most Significant Byte" (ie, MSB) of Bank Select is controller 0. The controller number for "Least Significant Byte" (ie, LSB) of Bank Select is controller 32. The data for these messages are the bank number you want to select. (Sometimes the MSB Bank Select is referred to as the coarse adjustment for bank, and the LSB Bank Select is referred to as the fine adjustment).

1. Program Change (which would need to follow a Bank Select) and choose among the 127 (7 bits) choices.

I'm aware that Xequence can send these messages... since @SevenSystems added this feature way back when I was playing with MIDI messages to call up iSymphonic instruments which shows the MSB/LSB values to dial in the Bank. I never figured out how to make it all work. I think because I assumed Bank Select would dial in the right instrument but I gave up and assumed the feature was broken.

I hope someone got further than I did and knows if there's a handy AUv3 MIDI app that can send these. Perhaps StreamByter or Mozaic scripts can be created to do this. I'll look around.

@Wim provided some great clues here:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/39923/ios-bank-change-and-program-change

@MikeP provides some essential details for the right 2 CC sends and PC follows:

A control mapped to CC00 that selects 0-127 (MSB)
    A control mapped to CC32 that selects 0-127 (LSB)
    A control mapped to "PC" that sends 0-127 (PC)

This info shows up here:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/27431/mapping-midi-bank-presets-to-controller-keyboard-help

• Two years ago, I made a Mozaic-preset for sending PC-messages (with Bank-select) from AUM (or other AUv3-hosts) to my Microfreak synth. You can download it here:

https://patchstorage.com/microfreak-presetter/