Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: Biggest disappointment in hardware

Comments

• @BroCoast said:

@HotStrange said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

Straight trash. I get irritated at the thought of other people even using it.

This is one of my favorite pieces of gear I’ve ever owned and I’ve owned 100+ synths. Easily a top 5 for me.

Yep, classic piece of gear. Absolutely love them, just wish the keys weren't clacky.

I’ve actually grown to like the clacky keys. Reminds me of Elektron gear in that way. Not very expressive to play but very unique. And, to me, makes it a lot easier to play drum/percussive sounds with the keyboard.

• @kinkujin said:
    This one - the Novation Circuit Mono Station. I pined after it for quite awhile. Probably my inexperience, but I couldn't manage to coax what I expected out of it. I gave up.

I still can't look at those without thinking it's a bad photoshop.

• On the flip side I have one of these which has been absolutely fantastic.

• edited January 2022

@Tarekith said:

@kinkujin said:
    This one - the Novation Circuit Mono Station. I pined after it for quite awhile. Probably my inexperience, but I couldn't manage to coax what I expected out of it. I gave up.

I still can't look at those without thinking it's a bad photoshop.

It's one fugly mother, that's for sure!

• @Carnbot said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@jonmoore said:
    To flip the switch. I'd like to highlight one piece of hardware which surpassed my expectations so much that I still grin whenever I use one of the multitude I now own. The humble Novation Launch Control Mk2.

I own a shed load of MIDI controllers but none have proved as durable and useful as the Launch Control Mk2. Whilst it doesn't have endless encoders it's so well built that I often wonder how they can afford to retail it so cheaply. And once you use them with decent control scripts in Ableton they're pure hands-on heaven.

But to honor the thread title, a purchase I was less impressed with was the Novation Nocturne. And more to the point, not only was it useless, it was fugly to boot! I sold that one almost as soon as I'd unboxed it.

Haha. I saw the top of the pic and thought “No way! How is anybody disappointed by the Launch Control Mk2?!”

They’re brilliant.

I’d love to see a MK 3 with full colours and maybe the sleeker form of Novation’s more recent Launch series.

Not at the cost of durability though. Those Mk2’s are solid!

Unfortunately there's always another experience, I really liked it in theory but it's my only controller so far which has a fault. Unlucky I guess :) now this slider always has to be taped up or it just sends out continuous midi. So I think the sliders aren't as long lasting as the knobs.

Mine’s still going strong but I had some cc events coming out of it by themselves. It was faders but I sorted them with some contacts cleaner. I always thought that the faders are the weak spot since dust can easily get in there.

• edited January 2022

@Carnbot said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@jonmoore said:
    To flip the switch. I'd like to highlight one piece of hardware which surpassed my expectations so much that I still grin whenever I use one of the multitude I now own. The humble Novation Launch Control Mk2.

I own a shed load of MIDI controllers but none have proved as durable and useful as the Launch Control Mk2. Whilst it doesn't have endless encoders it's so well built that I often wonder how they can afford to retail it so cheaply. And once you use them with decent control scripts in Ableton they're pure hands-on heaven.

But to honor the thread title, a purchase I was less impressed with was the Novation Nocturne. And more to the point, not only was it useless, it was fugly to boot! I sold that one almost as soon as I'd unboxed it.

Haha. I saw the top of the pic and thought “No way! How is anybody disappointed by the Launch Control Mk2?!”

They’re brilliant.

I’d love to see a MK 3 with full colours and maybe the sleeker form of Novation’s more recent Launch series.

Not at the cost of durability though. Those Mk2’s are solid!

Unfortunately there's always another experience, I really liked it in theory but it's my only controller so far which has a fault. Unlucky I guess :) now this slider always has to be taped up or it just sends out continuous midi. So I think the sliders aren't as long lasting as the knobs.

Mine’s still going strong but I had some cc events coming out of it by themselves. It was faders but I sorted them with some contacts cleaner. I always thought that the faders are the weak spot since dust can easily get in there.

• @supadom Yeah I'm going to have to open it up for a proper clean at some point to check, at the moment it's not got any life at all from that slider...

• @HotStrange said:

@BroCoast said:

@HotStrange said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

This is one of my favorite pieces of gear I’ve ever owned and I’ve owned 100+ synths. Easily a top 5 for me.

Yep, classic piece of gear. Absolutely love them, just wish the keys weren't clacky.

I’ve actually grown to like the clacky keys. Reminds me of Elektron gear in that way. Not very expressive to play but very unique. And, to me, makes it a lot easier to play drum/percussive sounds with the keyboard.

i almost hulk smashed it instead of selling it the last time i had one

• @HotStrange said:

@michael_m said:

@robosardine said:

@HotStrange said:

@michael_m said:
    Roland SE-02. Sounds great, but not class compliant? Come on…

Isn’t that also the only boutique that’s not class compliant?

I didn’t think any were class compliant.

Not sure, as the SE-02 is my first and last purchase from that series. I couldn’t believe it when I connected it to my MacBook and it couldn’t see it.

I was mostly using all hardware when I had mine so I never dove into that aspect of it but that’s a huge bummer.

If it was from way back I could understand it, but it was manufactured at a time when just about EVERYTHING with a USB port was class compliant.

• edited January 2022

If we’re doing fantastic stuff, then I love the new Sequential Take 5. Great all-around analog poly synth, great sound. Plus I got it upon release, before the $300 price hike that came within a month thereafter. I feel completely satisfied between it and the awesome opsix, and the lust for anything more has actually subsided. Just straight jammin now.

• @jonmoore said:

It's one fugly mother, that's for sure!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :-)

• @oat_phipps said:
    If we’re doing fantastic stuff, then I love the new Sequential Take 5. Great all-around analog poly synth, great sound. Plus I got it upon release, before the $300 price hike that came within a month thereafter. I feel completely satisfied between it and the awesome opsix, and the lust for anything more has actually subsided. Just straight jammin now.

I'm with you on this. The thing that I like most about it is that it feels like a new generation of analog design that isn't looking slavishly back to the late 70s/early 80s.

• @jonmoore said:

@oat_phipps said:

I'm with you on this. The thing that I like most about it is that it feels like a new generation of analog design that isn't looking slavishly back to the late 70s/early 80s.

It goes without saying my thoughts regarding the Opsix is that I'm equally smitten. And you can pick up the pair for less than a single Prophet 6.

• edited January 2022

@jonmoore said:

@oat_phipps said:

Totally. My only problem with it is it’s so shiny and new I’m scared to get down and dirty with it. But that’ll pass. I spent my first hour with it just playing the first two factory presets and I was instantly in love.

I can always find something wrong with anything, but the Take 5 and opsix purchases I feel I knocked out of the park. Never have I been so satisfied with acquisitions.

• @oat_phipps said:

The Take5 is most definitely tempting. I bought a Pro3 when they came out and it’s still an all time favorite of mine. I’m not interested in buying any new hardware, but if I did, that and UDO Super 6 would be my first choices.

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

@HotStrange said:

@BroCoast said:

@HotStrange said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

i almost hulk smashed it instead of selling it the last time i had one

What was it you didn’t like about it? I’ve been smitten since the first day I got mine. And being able to send audio and midi back and forth from the op-1 and the iPad is so much fun it should be illegal. Will never sell mine.

• edited January 2022

@HotStrange said:
    What was it you didn’t like about it? I’ve been smitten since the first day I got mine. And being able to send audio and midi back and forth from the op-1 and the iPad is so much fun it should be illegal. Will never sell mine.

the list is pretty long but the usb ground hum and the abysmal (lack of) midi implementation/control. The lack of an undo is a pretty solid negative too, particularly for something that wants to be used standalone as much as it does.

what i did like is its build quality, but thats about the only thing in the positive list. Everything else goes in the "meh" or "jfc, really?" columns.

worth 600$ TOPS. 999$ when they came out, meh..no. 1399? They can just fuck right off with that price.
    i really wanted to like it, but alas...nope

(ive owned it 3 times, which i think is enough to make up my mind)

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

@HotStrange said:

the list is pretty long but the usb ground hum and the abysmal (lack of) midi implementation/control. The lack of an undo is a pretty solid negative too, particularly for something that wants to be used standalone as much as it does.

what i did like is its build quality, but thats about the only thing in the positive list. Everything else goes in the "meh" or "jfc, really?" columns.

worth 600$ TOPS. 999$ when they came out, meh..no. 1399? They can just fuck right off with that price.
    i really wanted to like it, but alas...nope

(ive owned it 3 times, which i think is enough to make up my mind)

No need for the last part, wasn’t trying to invalidate your opinion. There are a couple of workarounds for the undo function but it’s definitely a love or hate kind of device. Personally it’s a huge part of my workflow and one of the best musical devices I’ve ever owned.

That said, I very rarely, if ever, see it go for $1399 in the US, I got mine for under $1000 new last year when they were selling for $1100 new from the factory. Totally worth that price for me and what I get out of it. But the value/worth we place on things is really kind of arbitrary anyway.

• edited January 2022

Out of all the gear i currently own i’d have to say the NI Maschine plus is a huge let down in its current state.

Here’s why:

The price vs power is skewed maschine plus would be a win at 899.99

Wow under powered for running such heavy plugs! Native instruments sure did work on two polar opposite sides with this maschine. Ni has some
    Of the heaviest plugs (cpu) ive ever used in my daw, yet they picked one of the weakest cpu’s for maschine plus! Curious move indeed.

The synth parameters are seriously NOT in a useful order at all? Who programmed this thing really?

Gets really hot, needs venting—-yikes

Corrupts sd cards quite often, so
    Back up your back Ups Folks

The sampler is way basic, very very dissapointjng sampler power

If you are torn between this and an mpclive…the live is a clear winner!!! Its not even close

• @HotStrange said:
    No need for the last part, wasn’t trying to invalidate your opinion.

No worries. didnt think you were. just throwing some context in there to show ya i did give it a fair shake and that im not just in the anti-TE boat because its popular.

• edited January 2022

@GovernorSilver said:
    My synths - no Talent knob/fader

My guitars - no Talent knob

My violins/viola - no Talent knob

Business idea: selling fender style poti knobs with TALENT written on them to put on your guitars :D

• edited January 2022

Can't imagine how this went wrong..

• @Carnbot said:

If you contact Novation they’ll send you a fader free off charge.
    One of my faders died soon after I got my LC XL 2nd hand.
    I contacted the tech department and they said ,’send us your address’.
    A few days later I had a new one which I duly installed.
    My repair wasn’t the greatest but it did the do.

Works solid.

The faders whether from them or other companies
    are known to stop working after awhile.
    Anything from dust to the contacts breaking inside.
    If it’s dust then a good blow with a dust canister will do the do.

• @Gravitas said:

@Carnbot said:

If you contact Novation they’ll send you a fader free off charge.
    One of my faders died soon after I got my LC XL 2nd hand.
    I contacted the tech department and they said ,’send us your address’.
    A few days later I had a new one which I duly installed.
    My repair wasn’t the greatest but it did the do.

Works solid.

The faders whether from them or other companies
    are known to stop working after awhile.
    Anything from dust to the contacts breaking inside.
    If it’s dust then a good blow with a dust canister will do the do.

Thanks, yeah it's not dust I've tried compressed air cannisters. I did contact Novation some time ago and they quoted me a price to fix it, so maybe I'll try again :)

• @Carnbot said:

Thanks, yeah it's not dust I've tried compressed air cannisters. I did contact Novation some time ago and they quoted me a price to fix it, so maybe I'll try again :)

It’s actually not that difficult if you know basic soldering.
    If you know someone that can do basic soldering ask them
    if they can do it for you if you don’t know how to solder. 🙂

If you’re based U.K sides then I know a couple of people
    who could do it for you without to much expense.

• @Gravitas said:

@Carnbot said:

I can do soldering well and I have all the gear it's just finding the time, especially as I have other controllers. :)

• @Carnbot said:

@Gravitas said:

@Carnbot said:

I can do soldering well and I have all the gear it's just finding the time, especially as I have other controllers. :)

Superb.
    Then give Novation a shout if and when you have the time. :)

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

@HotStrange said:
    No need for the last part, wasn’t trying to invalidate your opinion.

No worries. didnt think you were. just throwing some context in there to show ya i did give it a fair shake and that im not just in the anti-TE boat because its popular.

Totally. I do know a lot of people who bash the OP-1 that have never even touched one so I’m at least happy to see someone who gave it the ol’ college try first. Crazy how different peoples preferences can be. You don’t like it at all and it’s an all time favorite for me haha.

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    Can't imagine how this went wrong..

LMAO love this! I’m not gonna lie, I quite liked the Timbre Wolf the few times I played it. It’s simple, but was also a unique idea. I even liked their drum machines.

• I was so disappointed with the SH-101 back in the day I stuck it in the attic at my mums place in 1983. Last year I decided to revisit it. I found it & it had been trodden on a few times over the years by god knows who, plumbers I imagine as she never goes up there. I decided to spend the money & get it looked at / repaired (great job cyberwave ems) & it sounds much better to me now than it did back then. At the time I considered it really cheap sounding (I had a Pro One & white face Odyssey at the time as well). Enjoy it now which I never could then.