Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiobus + ilectric or igrand piano

Hello,
I have trouble with audiobus used with ilectric or Igrand piano (both ikmultimedia software) on my last generation iPad Air. The same happens with Neo Soul Keys.
I use Igrandpiano as input, no effect in the middle, and the standard sound output. I use a midi keyboard through irig pro interface to play.
Here is the problem.
When I play these soft without audiobus sound is normal
With audiobus I noticed the sound is distorted. I also noticed that If I remove Igrandpiano from the inputs in audiobus I can still play and the sound is still playing. So my guess is that the sounds from the soft is played twice when I use audiobus which results in this disto. For example if I choose as an output a soft like amplitube, then if I don't wake up the program in audiobus the sound is normal but if I launch Amplitude then disto again. By the way another strange thing is that if I choose no output in AB then the sound is also playing which should not, no?
I checked on the piano apps and the option "play in the background is disabled.

Maybe Ian just misusing audiobus, I dontknow
Any ideas?

Thanks

Pierre

Comments

• Play in background should be enabled (I think that it enables itself when opened in an AB slot). With the latest AB update the output slot defaults to iPad audio out so that is normal. Does the distortion continue to happen after changing the latency setting in Audiobus to 512 frames?

• Yes It does it whatever nb of frame
    Again what is strange if that if i remove Igrandpiano from inputs inAB (so basically no input no effect no output) sound is still playing from the piano but no disto anymore. If I add again the piano in the inputs bam the disto is back.

• Have you tried rebooting the iPad?

• Is there distortion if you disconnect the iRig and play iGrand's on-screen keys through Audiobus? I haven't been able to reproduce this problem yet but I don't own an iRig

• Thanks for these answers
    @paulb : does not change anything
    @darbya : good idea but yes it does it also with onscreen keys.
    My guess is really that somehow audiobus launches the piano (in background mode) but the sound is out puted twice : once because of audiobus once the soft itself hence the saturation. When I remove it from the input in AB then only the soft keeps playing so the sound is normal. If I put some effect in the middle, then when I remove the input I get the sound but with no effect anymore.

• edited June 2014

Removing an app from the Audiobus input will only switch the app's output to the speaker instead of the AB internal bus. It does not prevent it making a sound.

• What you're saying makes sense although this is the first time I have heard of that problem. My last try would be to completely uninstall/reinstall audiobus and reboot before opening.

• @paulb I don't understand : background play is set to off in Igrand by default . I launch it in ab then AB decides to switch it to on, which I think iIS the cause of my trouble. When I remove it from AB it should then put it back to off, preventing the soft to play. In fact this is not this part of the pv that is really annoying but this "double sound " effect which causes the saturation
    @DarbyA I tried to do this but did not improve.

Is one of you guys using Igrandpiano with audiobus?

• iGrand Piano inside Audiobus on iPad Air works, and sounds, as it should here. I did only try it with the on screen keys though. I'm able to try it with a midi keyboard hooked up later, if needed. Have you checked the level settings in iGrand settings? My level is set to -7db (the default value).

• Sorry, I misread. I though you had background mode enabled.

• I'm using iGrand with an iPad 2 and everything works correctly: On screen keys, midi, pop-ups. No distortion in or out of Audiobus

• thks everyone for the answers. I would like to post a video but when I record it with my phone the sound quality is low and sound is distorted anyway. If you know a simple way to do sound/video capture in ipad through an app, tell me...

@ChrisG It does it more when the level is lower of course, but it does it also at -7db.

@DarbyA : Can you do the following experiment? Start audiobus, launch igrand as an input. Put the level high in igrand, so that when you play hard on your keys the sound gets just a little bit saturated (it surely happens after some point :put the volume cursor at max, or go in the settings and put it at 0db). Go in Audiobus and now detach igrand as an input. If you play now do you still hear the sound. If so do you notice that the sound is less saturated?

• I cranked the level up in iGrand after starting it in the AB input slot. This did cause saturation and eventually lots of distortion at 12db. However after I ejected iGrand from AB input the distortion was still there and at the same level. Removing iGrand from Audiobus made no apparent difference to the sound here :/