Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Euclidean AUv3 Sequencer by 4Pockets.com - Released

Comments

• edited January 2022

@wim said:

@Kashi said:
    Bought.
    Having fun with it already.
    Bit weird that there's no Minor Pentatonic option (?) @4Pockets

As a workaround you can shift the key up 3 semitones from the key you actually want to play.
    It does bother me though when people leave Minor Pentatonic out, or only give you the option of "Blues" scale rather than minor pentatonic.

So if I pitch it 3 semitones down from the root, I get the relative minor of that scale, which I've known for a long time. But if I pitch it 3 semitones up, you're saying I get the relative minor pentatonic?

I'm wondering how that works, because 3 semitones down in c major is a which IS in the scale. 3 semitones up from c major is Eb which isn't in the scale

• I don't have the patience to watch the video, so maybe it can already do this, but it would be cool if it could send out midi CC's rather than notes. It's easy enough to do a conversion outside the app though if not.

• wimwim
    edited January 2022

@sclurbs said:

@wim said:

@Kashi said:
    Bought.

As a workaround you can shift the key up 3 semitones from the key you actually want to play.
    It does bother me though when people leave Minor Pentatonic out, or only give you the option of "Blues" scale rather than minor pentatonic.

So if I pitch it 3 semitones down from the root, I get the relative minor of that scale, which I've known for a long time. But if I pitch it 3 semitones up, you're saying I get the relative minor pentatonic?

Yes. For instance:

A minor pentatonic notes are A, C, D, E, G.
    C major pentatonic is C, D, E, G, A. Same notes. You just have to keep in mind that the root isn't the lowest note of the scale, which can be important for keeping a sense of tonal center.

Great for lazy guitar players like me who can just shift a single fingering pattern up or down at need.

• edited January 2022

Doug's vid:

• @echoopera said:
    Don’t overlook the Euclidean module in Drambo everyone:

Big advantage is see here, and why I’m considering buying it to use in Drambo, is the 16 patterns! So I could map those patterns to a controller (launchpad) and use them like ‘clip launch’.

• Wow No 1 in Music Charts!

• edited January 2022

Works great! Missing the accents function from the Drambo Euclidean. But the randomizer for notes, velocity, octave is very cool! I love being able to Switch patterns, but I wish each pattern could be assignable, as far as I can see, in Drambo it maps to a knob. Mapping Pattern 1 to cc1, Pattern 2 to cc2 etc would make it easier for me, but I guess there’s a way to do that with a workaround. Hopefully more controls will be assignable, as now only muting the 4 bands, a patters selector and ‘power’ (which I haven’t figured out the function of yet) are assignable. Would be cool to be able to ‘decouple’ the length of the note sequencer from the events wheel steps.

• edited January 2022

@sclurbs said:

@wim said:

@Kashi said:
    Bought.

I'm wondering how that works, because 3 semitones down in c major is a which IS in the scale. 3 semitones up from c major is Eb which isn't in the scale

Maybe Custom Scales can be added…

• @Frank303 said:
    Works great! Missing the accents function from the Drambo Euclidean.

oh, that's a significant omission. Rozeta Euclidean has that too.

• McDMcD
    edited January 2022

The additional control I'm wishing was there would be a "note length" for the really slow ambient use cases. By default all notes are pretty short at any tempo. I hope I'm just missing this capability. A Mozaic script to delay the sending of all note offs would make a reasonable "patch" for this use.

@sclurbs said:

Yes. @wim is assuming you'd like a C minor pentatonic which includes the notes:
    C D Eb G Bb
    The up 3 semitones from C root gives you Eb major which has the notes:
    C D Eb (F) G (Ab) Bb

I would recommend you use the Dorian Mode which for a root C gives you the notes:
    C D Eb F G A Bb (only the A is different from the Eb major option)
    This A is the major 6th in the C blues scale which is a very common note for "happy blues"

Of course, adding Major/Minor Pentatonics and Harmonic Minor would be a nice additional option. Pushing everything through Rozetta Scalar would be a patch which has all these scales and the ability to push notes up or down into the scale.

I find that I like to use the Note dial and tune in 4 note chord voicing for I IV V ii (or vi) across the Preset Buttons to control chord progressions. It makes this a good app for create rhythm instrument parts (piano, guitar, organ). But Id love to be able to lengthen the notes... the Mozaic script would be pretty short...

Basically it's this script... paste it into the Mozaic Code window and hit upload.
    Then plumb the MIDI out from Euclidean Sequencer to this Mozaic instance and all the target synths to the Moziac instance.

@OnLoad
      Log {Welcome to Mozaic}
      ShowLayout 0
      delay = 0
    @End

@OnKnobChange
      Log (GetKnobValue LastKnob)
      delay = 10 * (GetKnobValue LastKnob)
    @End

@OnMidiInput

Log {MIDI Instruction+Channel: }, MIDIByte1, { Note: }, MIDIByte2, { Velocity: }, MIDIByte3

Byte1 = MIDIByte1
      Byte2 = MIDIByte2
      Byte3 = MIDIByte3

note = Byte2

if MIDICommand = 128
        SendMidiNoteOn Byte1, Byte2, Byte3, delay
      elseif MIDICommand = 144
        SendMidiNoteOn Byte1, Byte2, Byte3
      endif

@END

Turn any knob in the Mozaic GUI from 0-127 to dial in the effective note length.

• @McD said:
    The additional control I'm wishing was there would be a "note length" for the really slow ambient use cases. By default all notes are pretty short at any tempo. I hope I'm just missing this capability. A Mozaic script to delay the sending of all note offs would make a reasonable "patch" for this use.

@sclurbs said:

C D Eb G Bb
    C D Eb (F) G (Ab) Bb

I would recommend you use the Dorian Mode which for a root C gives you the notes:
    This A is the major 6th in the C blues scale which is a very common note for "happy blues"

Of course, adding Major/Minor Pentatonics and Harmonic Minor would be a nice additional option. Pushing everything through Rozetta Scalar would be a patch which has all these scales and the ability to push notes up or down into the scale.

I find that I like to use the Note dial and tune in 4 note chord voicing for I IV V ii (or vi) across the Preset Buttons to control chord progressions. It makes this a good app for create rhythm instrument parts (piano, guitar, organ). But Id love to be able to lengthen the notes... the Mozaic script would be pretty short...

Basically it's this script... paste it into the Mozaic Code window and hit upload.
    Then plumb the MIDI out from Euclidean Sequencer to this Mozaic instance and all the target synths to the Moziac instance.

@OnLoad
      Log {Welcome to Mozaic}
      ShowLayout 0
      delay = 0
    @End

@OnKnobChange
    @End

@OnMidiInput

Log {MIDI Instruction+Channel: }, MIDIByte1, { Note: }, MIDIByte2, { Velocity: }, MIDIByte3

Byte1 = MIDIByte1
      Byte2 = MIDIByte2
      Byte3 = MIDIByte3

note = Byte2

if MIDICommand = 128
      elseif MIDICommand = 144
      endif

@END

Turn any knob in the Mozaic GUI from 0-127 to dial in the effective note length.

Note length would be amazing

• note length is strange omission indeed

• wimwim
    edited January 2022

I haven't run across any iOS Euclidean sequencers that have note length. They're usually trigger based. Maybe it's different on desktop.

That would be a nice addition to make this one stand out from the crowd.

• Here's a test drive of this Euclidean Sequencer going through the Mozaic Script to allow for Note Length to be controlled. Every note is coming from the Sequencer and I'm just pushing Sequencer buttons, adjusting note lengths, tweaking the AUM mixer levels and changing a couple synth presets. I think this would expand the use case of the app if note length was a parameter the user could adjust.

• Bri> @McD said:

@sclurbs said:

C D Eb G Bb
    C D Eb (F) G (Ab) Bb

@OnLoad
      Log {Welcome to Mozaic}
      ShowLayout 0
      delay = 0
    @End

@OnKnobChange
    @End

@OnMidiInput

Byte1 = MIDIByte1
      Byte2 = MIDIByte2
      Byte3 = MIDIByte3

note = Byte2

if MIDICommand = 128
      elseif MIDICommand = 144
      endif

@END

brilliant, love the piece, have you made this into a downloaded script for Patchstorage?

• @Toastedghost said:
    brilliant, love the piece, have you made this into a downloaded script for Patchstorage?

No. I'm really hoping 4Pockets sees this discussion and adds this to their roadmap. It takes the sequencer into some new territory for those that make ambient. There's also the potential that 4Pockets would just take this use case and create yet another Sequencing app that adds capabilities like "note length" and other interesting parameters to tweak.

If I was to push this up to PatchStorage I would look for more parameters to tweak. Some might copy the script into the Mozaic "code" screen, give it a name, save it and use it.

Now... what other parameters could be added to a MIDI stream?
    Velocity variations to generate accents based on proximity to the Beat?
    Note echos? Dotted 8th's?
    Add Octaves or other overtone based notes?
    Swing?
    8th-16th Note Repeats for Channel 1 or 4?
    Latch the notes of a selected channel... i.e. legato lines.. new note triggers NoteOff for the prior note. This could be more interesting that a fixed note length and conserve polyphony to 4 notes max at any given time.

There are already MIDI FX tools for most of these... Rosetta, MIDI Tools, Mozaic scripts.

• It works on the M1 Mac as well, although like Helium it does not expose its MIDI ports in standalone mode. As a workaround you can host it in something like Drambo which does let you access its MIDI from other hosts.

My shopping list of nice to haves after using it for a bit, though most of these are minor and/or have workarounds:

• Variable note lengths per step, as mentioned above (nice workaround @McD !)
    • MIDI export (export n steps or whatever). Once I have the note sequence I am after then I would like to be able to grab the MIDI and unload the plugin.
    • Alternative/custom grid layouts like Helium provides. Makes it easier to find the sample you might be trying to trigger.
    • Per-lane key/scale/randomise etc settings rather than just global. I can just use more than one instance but it would be good to be able to have a chord being picked in one lane and a melody which does not use the notes of the chord in another lane.
    • Ability to define chords per step rather than just single notes.
    • Undo/redo.
    • More options for lane speed.
    • Some indication as to where the last event is on the piano roll.
    • Step mute (can set velocity or probability to simulate).
    • Rather than warn "This note is not in the scale" then snap to nearest note that is?
  • I belie> @McD said:

@Toastedghost said:

No. I'm really hoping 4Pockets sees this discussion and adds this to their roadmap. It takes the sequencer into some new territory for those that make ambient. There's also the potential that 4Pockets would just take this use case and create yet another Sequencing app that adds capabilities like "note length" and other interesting parameters to tweak.

If I was to push this up to PatchStorage I would look for more parameters to tweak. Some might copy the script into the Mozaic "code" screen, give it a name, save it and use it.

Now... what other parameters could be added to a MIDI stream?
    Velocity variations to generate accents based on proximity to the Beat?
    Note echos? Dotted 8th's?
    Add Octaves or other overtone based notes?
    Swing?
    8th-16th Note Repeats for Channel 1 or 4?
    Latch the notes of a selected channel... i.e. legato lines.. new note triggers NoteOff for the prior note. This could be more interesting that a fixed note length and conserve polyphony to 4 notes max at any given time.

There are already MIDI FX tools for most of these... Rosetta, MIDI Tools, Mozaic scripts.

I believe Doug Woods had a beta copy of this and says his beta copy has the ability to gate notes so maybe we will see an updated version that will allow for longer note lengths?

• Paul has added another update video showing gate and controller additions as well as how to configure midi. This just gets better. Hopefully the new version out soon.

• Custom scales (and preset pentatonic scales), and note length would be my two major requests much as others have mentioned.

A more sophisticated longer-term request would be some form of per-event randomisation (randomising note value (within scale) and/or note length). But this might be something that would be better explored within NuRack given the necessary randomisation modules.

• edited January 2022

Fun fun fun sequencer.
    I'd like to have separate lenghts for the note grid and the steps.
    Edit: also, a Gate knob would be awesome (like the one in Drambo)

• At the moment, it works really well with drums. For a synth sequencer, it clearly needs an option to change the length and maybe some "humaniser"

• Update looks great

• edited January 2022

@McD said:
    Here's a test drive of this Euclidean Sequencer going through the Mozaic Script to allow for Note Length to be controlled. Every note is coming from the Sequencer and I'm just pushing Sequencer buttons, adjusting note lengths, tweaking the AUM mixer levels and changing a couple synth presets. I think this would expand the use case of the app if note length was a parameter the user could adjust.

Nice.. it really will be nice to have note length.. natively… thanks..

Edit, and ‘Groove Quantize/Lock’ too.. 😁

• @RajahP said:

I'm not counting on it, to be honest. 4Pockets doesn't spend forever on any single app.
    As a rhtymic sequencer I got my money's worth. Extra note length tends to wash out the
    rythmic emphasis. But we shall see. I just know that the app has a value in the code to determine how long to wait before sending out a Note Off so changing it is not that hard.
    BUT, re-configuring the User Interface to add another "control" is a pretty big ask so I'm NOT expecting it to change. I don't think this app has a "settings" page does it? That would be a good place to quickly add an extra control if there is one.

• @McD said:

@RajahP said:

I'm not counting on it, to be honest. 4Pockets doesn't spend forever on any single app.
    As a rhtymic sequencer I got my money's worth. Extra note length tends to wash out the
    rythmic emphasis. But we shall see. I just know that the app has a value in the code to determine how long to wait before sending out a Note Off so changing it is not that hard.
    BUT, re-configuring the User Interface to add another "control" is a pretty big ask so I'm NOT expecting it to change. I don't think this app has a "settings" page does it? That would be a good place to quickly add an extra control if there is one.

He added a gate feature for note length next update by the looks of it.

• McDMcD
    edited January 2022

@Jumpercollins said:
    He added a gate feature for note length next update by the looks of it.

I'm used to "gates" for volume filtering but not sure what it moght mean in a timing context.

Can someone clarify how this "gate feature" would work? Coming from the physical world I'm adding these new concepts to my world view one at a time.

Keeping the app on the Forum's front page will drive a few more sales and encourage more updates in a virtuous circle. Aren't we somethin'.

• @McD said:

@RajahP said:

All you have to do is go on YouTube and ask in the comments. Paul typically gives a definite answer pretty quickly.

• @McD said:

But he does release an app and keep adding major new free features to it for the next month or so after release. And some of those featres are a response to suggestions from users. And when something big like "AUM Multi Channels in/Out" came along he added it to many of his apps for free. I like his approach.

• McDMcD
    edited January 2022

Paul added a length knob on the top page called a Gate to adjust note length. I just need to see how long it allows. It probably won’t go ambient crazy but the Mozaic script can assist for the handful that really want yet another way to make musical wallpaper art.

Now can we control length on the bottom 1/2… back to the new video for clues.

Nice! He added 5 Controllers per app preset and a screen to set CC values per event slot. There’s also a Program Change feature.

This is an App I will creat a rig for and then spent a few minutes hitting randomize until I have an inspiring base to play over.