Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Anyone gone completely all iPad?

Comments

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

@jolico said:
    All iPhone.

iPad doesn’t fit in my pocket.

iPad Minis fit fine in your back pocket. The mini has been my cellphone for years now.

😂
    Thanks for reminding me about this

• I make tracks with just ipad but I also have hardware setups. I have a torso t1 and small modular and an opz with microfreak. I also have ableton with a Launchpad pro mk3

All give something different but ipad is probably the thing I use most

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • All iPad + guitars + microphone (I guess guitars and microphones count as hardware?)

It's totally possible to make final mixes and masters on the iPad IMO.

• iPad with midi controller hardware

• As a main studio DAW?

Yes.

This isn’t including my instruments, microphones,
    external compressors and external audio interfaces.

• @HotStrange said:

@Spidericemidas said:
    100% iPad for six years so far.

Love your patches! What are some of your favorite iOS synths at the moment? Any in particular you love to work with/create patches on?

Thanks! 😊
    Sunrizer.
    Kaspar.
    All the Icegear synths.
    😁👍

• I was 100% complelely iOS only since 2010 or 11 .. now i am completely non-ios and non-desktop fully hardware only since september 2021 :lol: :lol:

• edited January 2022

@jolico said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@jolico said:
    All iPhone.

iPad Minis fit fine in your back pocket. The mini has been my cellphone for years now.

😂

No speaker there ;) AirPods.

1200$ for an iphone just so I can send a bazillion texts and emails and only use 15min/month of phone calls while not running the apps I need? No thanks apple. You can keep it.
    So I guess I really went 'all ipad'

• edited January 2022

I am mostly guitar oriented these days, and for writing music I like a linear songs structure the most. I use Band in a Box on a desktop to create a backing track, and then I move this track to my hardware recorder (Zoom R8). On this device I add the guitar.

But since Black Friday and X-mas sales I have bought me into Cubasis and THU and a lot of other stuff, I can now create linear tracks on the Ipad itself (or move the BIAB track to Ipad), and record my guitar om the Ipad.

Sometimes I create on Ipad a pattern based techno jam just for the kick, but I never write a real track in this music style, because I think this music style is saturated already (I know I sound like an old man...)

When I am playing guitar, a desktop with a big screen distracts me, an Ipad is a lot less intrusive, just a little silent device on the background.

The beauty of Band in a Box is that it can generate guitar solo's in different styles (and variants) for a self written track, that helps me building my own solo's, it's like a private guitar teacher.

So long story short, I try to use the desktop as less as possible.

• All iPad here, no other hardware except for a pair of headphones...

• 100% iPad with some spells of hardware since the dawn of iOS music.

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

@jolico said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@jolico said:
    All iPhone.

😂

No speaker there ;) AirPods.

1200$ for an iphone just so I can send a bazillion texts and emails and only use 15min/month of phone calls while not running the apps I need? No thanks apple. You can keep it.
    So I guess I really went 'all ipad'

👍

Also much smaller batteries on phones.

• @jolico said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@jolico said:
    All iPhone.

😂

NO IM AT THE CINEMA

• Mostly all iPhone with some iPad. In addition to the guitars, basses, mics, MIDI keys that I plug into the interface.

I found sitting at a desk or laptop to make music to be decidedly unpleasant. YMMV.

• I have to say a blend, but in the studio, I'm 90% iPad. I use Cubasis for most of my recording and pretty much all softsynths for keys and drums. I do have a Microfreak that is permanently connected via a TriplePlay MIDI pickup to my guitar - but that's the only hardware. If I need to do something that can't be done within Cubasis on the iPad, I go to Cubase on the desktop. Most of that is vocal tuning, so not often.

• edited January 2022

I've actually stopped using my iPad as much as I did when I first got it. It still gets used for FX, Samplr, Drumcomputer, and Audiolayer, but overall, I find interacting with physical hardware much more enjoyable. I really want to love working with Drambo due to my love of Elektron sequencing, but I've realized that the touchscreen only takes me so far. I still love my iPad and all it has to offer, but I've realized that it will never be able to replace hardware or a PC/DAW for me.

I could go full iPad IF:
    1. FLStudio had a better app that was closer to the desktop version. FLM is pretty crappy, overall.
    2. I could find a good MIDI controller that would do bidirectional communication and brainless mapping to controls (like Novation's old Automap or the way the new MPC series work).
    3. iOS had a better file management system that allowed for easily syncing samples across apps. It sucks that when I add a new loop to my custom sample pack, for example, that I need to add it to every app that uses that sample pack.

• All ipad for the last 2/3 years. My Mac blew up and I moved to the ipad. Only recently I have I managed to hook up my Lauchpad, mic etc thanks to a usb hub part of a Christmas present, and wow it has opened doors.

• edited January 2022

10% iPhone and 90% Macbook. Just invested a lot (read: too much) in several Spitfire Audio libraries to further working on my orchestral/edm style. I have one last NS2 tune that I was working on and was going to migrate it to MacBook but its not worth it. I like the tune enough as is (not really complete, but what ever is :lol: ), just need to upload it. I think I will start building more stuff in Drambo on my phone to use on the desktop.

• @AudioGus said:

@HotStrange said:

@AudioGus said:

@HotStrange said:

@AudioGus said:
    Maschine / Desktop but I have a ton of old iPad tunes from the past eight years or so that keep distracting me. Need to just take a week off work and do a mass stemfest to finish them on desktop.

So did you abandon the iOS environment completely?

No, like I said I have a ton of tunes on iOS to finish. It will take quite a while to clean up / export them to desktop and finish them off there. I don't see myself really starting anything on iOS anymore, maybe just make occasional sample fodder. It was awesome for commuting though but I hope I don't commute ever again.

Understandable. Maschine is something I’ve been tempted by for a long time. I do love using the iPad as a sound module/sample provider with the op-1 and 707.

Maschine is pure amazing flow and the NI library sounds amazing. I really should just get over my nostalgia for these old iOS tracks and move forward, sigh.

I’m actually about to release a mixtape of a bunch of old, rough tracks so I can let go of them and stop dwelling on them. Maybe that’ll help?

• @Telstar5 said:
    Keep in mind that the apple foldable phone will be out in the next two years or so .
    I had $1,500 in my budget , it was either laptop or iPad . I went w a 12.9 M1 256 gig. All iOS

Excited to see what developers will do with a foldable phone. I have a 4th Air right now but I’m planning on upgrading to the M1 with 1 TB. I use samples a lot so would love to not worry about storage.

• @Spidericemidas said:

@HotStrange said:

@Spidericemidas said:
    100% iPad for six years so far.

Love your patches! What are some of your favorite iOS synths at the moment? Any in particular you love to work with/create patches on?

Thanks! 😊
    Sunrizer.
    Kaspar.
    All the Icegear synths.
    😁👍

I have a few Beepstreet and Yonac synths but Sunrizer and Kaspar are 2 I haven’t tried yet. I’d love to one day though. Have almost all the Icegear stuff though. Kronecker is my personal favorite of the bunch.

• @Toastedghost said:
    All ipad for the last 2/3 years. My Mac blew up and I moved to the ipad. Only recently I have I managed to hook up my Lauchpad, mic etc thanks to a usb hub part of a Christmas present, and wow it has opened doors.

Exactly what happened to me. My Mac died so I moved all into the iPad until I could get another and then I just never got another. Fell too in love with the iOS workflow.

• @richardyot said:
    All iPad + guitars + microphone (I guess guitars and microphones count as hardware?)

I’d say those count. I count my guitars with my hardware as well. I don’t play as often as I used to but I love sampling and looping some guitar parts and mangling them to oblivion.

• @richardyot said:
    All iPad + guitars + microphone (I guess guitars and microphones count as hardware?)

I’d say those count. I count my guitars with my hardware as well. I don’t play as often as I used to but I love sampling and looping some guitar parts and mangling them to oblivion.

• @CapnWillie said:
    Like @AudioGus i went mostly Maschine for the past 2 years since a little before the beginning of Pandemic when I bought an MK3. Maschine is the most fun I’ve had making music since I started over 20 years ago so during quarantine it was pretty much all Maschine/Logic. Great because i emersed myself and learned it inside and out.

However, I live in SoFlo where we’re mostly over Covid (for better or worse🤷🏽‍♂️). With that, it’s 80° and sunny almost everyday and being in the house chained to a desk ain’t as cool as just grabbing my iPad and hitting the beach for a few hours everyday so I’m back to heavily using BM3 and Loopy Pro.

I transferred much of my Native Instrument library to iPad and making kits/sound folders for BM3 using Kitmaker/Samplecrate basically makes iPad Pro my Maschine on the go rig.

Wether im exporting what I make in Maschine to audio I further expand with Loopy Pro or the other way, beginning in Bm3 then exporting to Logic/Maschine… im a fish in water on either platform.

Im not a static type of guy. Dynamic when it comes to most things in life so there will/could never be 100% anything.

Thanks for the answer! I’m curious, what would Samplecrate offer over audioshare and the native files app? I see it mentioned a lot but haven’t taken the dive on it.

• @HotStrange said:

@ChancedMusic said:
    I was all iPad and iPhone. Now I’m just all iPhone. I make hip-hop beats, some EDM, and sync music for video games.

What made you ditch the iPad?

Was only using it for mixing and mastering. I’ve recently changed the music that I’m making and have simplified things such that I don’t need the extra processing power anymore. And I’ve always preferred the flexibility of having as much on my phone as possible.

• @HotStrange said:

@Apex said:
    I wish I could go 100% ipad, but it’s still lacking some essential stuff I need on desktop to get work done. I much prefer the interaction and user experience of the ipad.

I’m curious, what do you feel is lacking? I’m guessing certain desktop DAW features?

100% DAW features. For stuff like synths, samplers, etc, iOS is great. But professional quality DAWs, not so much. Also, the connectivity of ipads is abysmal. Really bad. In fact I’d rate that as my #1 issue with ipads. I could forgive everything else, but the constant dongle / connection issues are intolerable. Especially on a $2000 device.

• I’ve been 100% iOS since I bought my first iPhone (3G), where I discovered Nanostudio 1, which got me back into music after a very long gap (nearly 20 years). Got my first iPad (3) in 2012, then an iPad 6th gen in 2018. Since I got an iPad, I rarely use the phone for music. And I’ve been all iPad until a few weeks ago, when I bought myself a Korg NTS-1, and then the Moog Studio 3 package deal (DFAM, Mother-32, Subharmonicon). It’s all MiRack's fault… So I’m now hybrid iPad/hardware. I do have a Mac (Mini), but it’s used as a media/name server and not for music making. I find I have the most fun using AUM and avoiding linear DAWs. The hardware is an extension of that urge to just plug stuff together and jam or create generative systems.

• @HotStrange said:

@AudioGus said:

@HotStrange said:

@AudioGus said:

@HotStrange said:

@AudioGus said:
    Maschine / Desktop but I have a ton of old iPad tunes from the past eight years or so that keep distracting me. Need to just take a week off work and do a mass stemfest to finish them on desktop.

So did you abandon the iOS environment completely?

No, like I said I have a ton of tunes on iOS to finish. It will take quite a while to clean up / export them to desktop and finish them off there. I don't see myself really starting anything on iOS anymore, maybe just make occasional sample fodder. It was awesome for commuting though but I hope I don't commute ever again.

Understandable. Maschine is something I’ve been tempted by for a long time. I do love using the iPad as a sound module/sample provider with the op-1 and 707.

Maschine is pure amazing flow and the NI library sounds amazing. I really should just get over my nostalgia for these old iOS tracks and move forward, sigh.

I’m actually about to release a mixtape of a bunch of old, rough tracks so I can let go of them and stop dwelling on them. Maybe that’ll help?

It could. i guess I just like that I have twenty year old projects on desktop that I can (and sometimes do) enjoy loading up and seeing what I can do on them now. i would like to do that with iOS but unless I export them as stems for desktop they are inevitably doomed to die forever on iOS. Platform is too flakey.