Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Launchpad 11 App-Endless Mixing Wow!

Comments

• edited January 2022

@echoopera said:

@ervin said:

@echoopera said:
    Remix live. Ha. The copycat app i never bought because of its blatant rip off of Launchpad.

I can’t stand it when devs lift someone else’s IP in such a blatant fashion.

Plus i was already heavily invested with sound packs and Launchpad and didn’t really see any benefit to Remix.

The exact opposite happened to me. By the time I learned how blatantly Apple and Microsoft stole the idea of the mouse from Xerox I was too heavily invested in related technologies to follow my noble principles. 😏

Haha. Well nothing was going to come out of XeroxParc lab at that time. It took someone like Steve Jobs to seize the opportunity and make a dent in the universe with that vision he was offered a glimpse of.

That’s the difference between innovation and copycat.

Launchpad was an innovation on the iPad whereas Remix was just a copycat. It didn’t really change anything.

Now you look at Launchpad and LoopyPro. Similar workflows, but LoopyPro has innovated the heck out of the loop launcher workflow.

See the difference?

You can either rip off ideas from those around you or stand on the shoulders of Giants and give the world something they didn’t realize they needed.

That’s my view anyhoo from their shoulders 😙🤪

I’m not one to let pedantry get it the way of a joke 🤪, but Xerox didn’t even invent the mouse. It had been around for a decade before Xerox used one in the Alto.

Also Jobs had negotiated a deal with Xerox to let Apple have a tour of Xerox and see what they were working on in exchange for letting Xerox buy shares in Apple before the IPO or something like that. I forget the exact details and can’t be arsed to wade through loads of crap blog posts that get the story wrong 😂

But basically Xerox invited apple in. :-/

Anyway Xerox could and should have made more of the Alto but they gave up on it.

Apple copied the menus, mice and windows ideas from the alto and made their own thing out of it.

Microsoft copied what apple did.

Everything is a remix.

• Hmm I can’t seem to get it to work with the iPhone and BlocsWave projects.

Do you need an IAP or the premium version for it to work?

Opening anything stops playback.

• @echoopera said:
    Remix live. Ha. The copycat app i never bought because of its blatant rip off of Launchpad.

Plus i was already heavily invested with sound packs and Launchpad and didn’t really see any benefit to Remix.

Cool to see that there is some good life in this solid app.

Except remix is 100x more capable than Launchpad

• edited January 2022

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@echoopera said:

Meh...can't be bothered with Remix honestly...when I look at the app there's nothing it offers me which I already can't do with what I already have. Plus the sound packs from Novation are top notch stuff.

Also, this isn't a thread debate on which app is better. I could care less. If you are a Launchpad owner, user...it's a cool feature that we now have :smile:

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

@echoopera said:

Yeah Remix live took the idea of launchpad and added great new features, including this continual mix feature that launchpad has completely copied in every way.

Doesn’t bother me, I have both apps. I just don’t think remixlive deserve the bad vibes.

• edited January 2022

@gregsmith said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@echoopera said:

Yeah Remix live took the idea of launchpad and added great new features, including this continual mix feature that launchpad has completely copied in every way.

Doesn’t bother me, I have both apps. I just don’t think remixlive deserve the bad vibes.

Not giving it bad vibes...just don't care about the app or the Remix app features ya know. I can't and shouldn't like every app out there just cause it exists, regardless of it's features.

Audio apps beg, borrow and steal from one another all the time. I only have 24 hours in a day to dedicate to what I do, so I use and promote what I like using ;) Hope that makes sense.

I just wish Launchpad hadn't gone the Subscription route. Good thing ones purchases remain intact though.

• edited January 2022

You can tell remixlive model is "improve sales, not functionality", which is fine with me.
    Theres a ton of little things they should get it to do, but they just never do. (like just make it an IAA app already or somethign to have it play nice with other apps without a ton of work and workarounds). Only took them like 7 years to implement controllers.
    Not like either one of these companies invented the idea of a grid of looped clips.
    I dunno why launchpad just doesnt merge blocs wave and launchpad into each other. the 2 app solution is a bit terse sometimes.

• edited January 2022

I really love how the LaunchPad app works with the LaunchPad controller. Feels so good and the fact that you control FX, Volume and playback is a nice integration story for the app and hardware.

I think what will be nice about this feature, is having the ability of exploring all the wonderful sounds from the Novation sound packs, to then export and manipulate elsewhere like Drambo or Koala...should be a good inspiration kick...

• edited January 2022

@echoopera said:

@gregsmith said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@echoopera said:

Not giving it bad vibes...just don't care about the app or the Remix app features ya know. I can't and shouldn't like every app out there just cause it exists, regardless of it's features.

Audio apps beg, borrow and steal from one another all the time. I only have 24 hours in a day to dedicate to what I do, so I use and promote what I like using ;) Hope that makes sense.

Yeah man, it’s all good. Innovation wouldn’t happen without imitation.

Wish I had 24 hours in the day! Lucky to get 15 minutes for music making these days! 😁

Fwiw now that it has this feature I’ll probably choose Launchpad over Remixlive anyway

• @gregsmith said:

@echoopera said:

@gregsmith said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@echoopera said:

Yeah man, it’s all good. Innovation wouldn’t happen without imitation.

Wish I had 24 hours in the day! Lucky to get 15 minutes for music making these days! 😁

Hahah...isn't that the truth. We have way too many toys and responsibilities these days.

• @echoopera said:
    I really love how the LaunchPad app works with the LaunchPad controller. Feels so good and the fact that you control FX, Volume and playback is a nice integration story for the app and hardware.

I think what will be nice about this feature, is having the ability of exploring all the wonderful sounds from the Novation sound packs, to then export and manipulate elsewhere like Drambo or Koala...should be a good inspiration kick...

I recommend giving remix another shot w/ the free trial. There are some nicer things in remix. like youre not limited to 8 clips. you can play all 48 at once if you wanted. theres also a page for "sequenced clips" to build song sections and sequence with 1 button. it works with launchpads now as well. promk3's need a couple digits modified in their controller script to work, but yeah....
    just a recommendation. not a post to debate which is better....

• edited January 2022

Yeah I tried it last year. I'm not a big fan of their sample packs. Nothing struck a chord with me musically. Also, it always crashed on me at different times, so I couldn't be bothered with it.

I'll just stick with LaunchPad.

I honestly don't use apps like this very often. I just dip in and use them as inspiration starters. If I find a groove or something, I'll generally slice it to bits in Drambo to rebuild it differently...so I'm jazzed about doing that some more with this added flexibility in LP.

• edited January 2022

i will agree with you the novation sample packs are far more useable. The only thing the remixlive app is missing is the button that says "publish you song to soundcloud and notify your followers!"

im sure once Michael starts getting into the midi part of loopy, i'll retire both launchpad and remix
    i'm also like you that I use those apps for stems/inspiration. I'll also use them live, but more as a sample player, not as the centerpiece for performance.

• I’m not at all interested in the sound packs in these apps. I just want an easy solution to play a quick dj set if the need arises (which is never! 😂)

Being able to remix your own stems then mix into other songs from an iPhone is pretty cool though!

• edited January 2022

@gregsmith said:
    I’m not at all interested in the sound packs in these apps. I just want an easy solution to play a quick dj set if the need arises (which is never! 😂)

Being able to remix your own stems then mix into other songs from an iPhone is pretty cool though!

theyre free samples...so why not. just use them as start fodder. get basic drum loops and some base melodics going before I start programming. Save those sample packs before cancelling that subscription ;)

regarding those novation sample packs, and the ones that come with other apps, anyone know if the royalty free clause still holds up if 1) you cancelled your subscription and 2) didnt use their app

• @BiancaNeve said:

Man - beats me. The only other thing I could think of is an update of your OS (or are you not keen on doing this?) and maybe a re - install. You could try your their support team (if you are feeling lucky and optimistic)
    Anybody else having this issue?

• Good stuff for sure, but I REALLY wish once youve got some little guys up top and switched etc that you could 'save as' as you go and keep massaging your selection. Yes you can start with an empty page etc, but that's just another whole thing of slow not flow etc. Overall, happy to have development and hope it leads to more...

• @gregsmith said:

I know right! I was like “this guy with 24 hours a day to work with!” lol

I at least try to give myself an hour or two. Maybe a little more if I’ve got the day off.

• edited January 2022

@gregsmith said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@echoopera said:

But, ReMixLive does not do 'Global Key Matching', as far as I know?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Good stuff for sure, but I REALLY wish once youve got some little guys up top and switched etc that you could 'save as' as you go and keep massaging your selection. Yes you can start with an empty page etc, but that's just another whole thing of slow not flow etc. Overall, happy to have development and hope it leads to more...

You can only go thru the door one way. Just mind the path you took so you can circle back to the same door in a different manner. 😜

• @Edward_Alexander said:

@gregsmith said:

I at least try to give myself an hour or two. Maybe a little more if I’ve got the day off.

Come on now. We all have 24 hours in a day. It’s the 🌎 natural cycle. Where do you guys live? Pluto, Mercury, Mars, Venus, Ura…err some other planet with a different Time Signature? 😙😜

• @echoopera said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Good stuff for sure, but I REALLY wish once youve got some little guys up top and switched etc that you could 'save as' as you go and keep massaging your selection. Yes you can start with an empty page etc, but that's just another whole thing of slow not flow etc. Overall, happy to have development and hope it leads to more...

You can only go thru the door one way. Just mind the path you took so you can circle back to the same door in a different manner. 😜

I'm pretty sure this is what my mother told me on my first wedding night...

• @echoopera said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@gregsmith said:

Come on now. We all have 24 hours in a day. It’s the 🌎 natural cycle. Where do you guys live? Pluto, Mercury, Mars, Venus, Ura…err some other planet with a different Time Signature? 😙😜

I wonder if the bottom number still matters on that planet.....

• edited January 2022

@echoopera said:

@ervin said:

@echoopera said:

The exact opposite happened to me. By the time I learned how blatantly Apple and Microsoft stole the idea of the mouse from Xerox I was too heavily invested in related technologies to follow my noble principles. 😏

Haha. Well nothing was going to come out of XeroxParc lab at that time. It took someone like Steve Jobs to seize the opportunity and make a dent in the universe with that vision he was offered a glimpse of.

Launchpad was an innovation on the iPad whereas Remix was just a copycat. It didn’t really change anything.

Now you look at Launchpad and LoopyPro. Similar workflows, but LoopyPro has innovated the heck out of the loop launcher workflow.

See the difference?

You can either rip off ideas from those around you or stand on the shoulders of Giants and give the world something they didn’t realize they needed.

That was just a modest attempt at a joke, but thanks for the clarification anyway, much appreciated. 😀👍 (I used to work for Xerox, and was amazed to learn how those guys invented almost everything that modern IT and software is based on and still managed to make nothing of it 🤷)

• @ervin said:

@echoopera said:

@ervin said:

@echoopera said:

See the difference?

That was just a modest attempt at a joke, but thanks for the clarification anyway, much appreciated. 😀👍 (I used to work for Xerox, and was amazed to learn how those guys invented almost everything that modern IT and software is based on and still managed to make nothing of it 🤷)

IMHO it wasn’t the evil Steve stealing the invention. It was rather the stupid Xerox managers who didn’t realize the innovation in their invention. Steve Jobs wasn’t an inventor but an excellent innovator and visionary. He had a great sense for how to turn an invention into an innovative product and when a new technology is mature enough that it really works out for the users. There had been computers with a graphical user interface or smartphones before but they had a poor usability.

Speaking of this, I wholeheartedly can recommend the book “What the Dormouse Said” about how the counterculture of the 1960s and use of psychedelics shaped the innovations of computers in that era.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_the_Dormouse_Said

Anyway, in my opinion there wouldn’t be innovation without copying inventions. Copy, improve, remix and innovate. I don’t know Remix live but from what I’ve read here I think they copied the base invention but they also improved it and innovated. That is honorable and that is exactly what drives innovation and progress. Imagine no one would have copied the invention of the wheel.

• @ervin said:
    (duplicate)

here i thought i was the only one that hits the quote button instead of the gear to edit

• edited January 2022

I don’t know if I’d say that RemixLive is an honorable addition to the music making platform. If it never existed would we truly miss it?—it does fit in nicely in some areas from what I’ve read and I’m being purely subjective about my opinion for sure.

I don’t believe creativity nor innovation happens in a vacuum. Innovation is derived from observation and the desire of continuous improvement.

There is a yard stick one can subjectively use when it comes to determining how innovative software is for me. If something fundamentally changes the way i do things and brings about significant positive changes in workflow, engagement and usability and raises the bar of what is possible then it has succeeded in taking the spark of what it has witnessed to create something truly innovative.

However, when a product just repackages more of the same and tries and profess its innovation i call BS and truly examine what’s going on. Is it a Clone, a Hybrid or something new i just don’t understand. I do my research and pull on all the threads which emerge to see where they lead. I’m just wired this way.

Early on some claimed that BitWig was just an Ableton clone…but BitWig took a general UI pattern introduced by Ableton and innovated like mad in the music DAW space. I would sorely miss BitWig if development of it stopped. Yes it is a subjective view, but i want to provide an example of software which feels familiar but is truly an altogether different creation.

In the music space you have a choice. Either be a Behringer or an Arturia when it comes to the work you make for world. There is a wide field to play in, so one should never feel boxed in. 🤓 (i chose these two companies for their mass reach and desire of doing something innovative in the space—you can apply your own filters to this comparison of course 🤔😙)

I like to consider myself a creative person and am infinitely inspired by you all here and the many beautiful things in the world. Without such things i would be at a loss to create anything i choose to share.

When it comes to innovation, it is my opinion, that we interpret and process the world around us in such a way that we create experiences which might feel familiar, but ultimately deliver an experience of a new way of looking at the world—be it slight or extreme.

This intention is what motivates and drives me daily. It is my compass. I truly value conversations about creativity and ideation…there is so much which can be learned from one another when we listen and discuss and adapt these techniques to our individual process 👊🏼™️

Thanks for indulging me if you’ve read this far 🙏🏼💕

“Be inspired and share this inspiration with the world.”

• @echoopera

I do agree with you. Probably the only people that would know RML went missing would be the French.
    It does feel kinda toyish sometimes as they want you to work 100% inside RML. I would venture to say only in the past year has it become "useable" to me with the addition of seamless mixing and controller support (didn't have up until mid 2021).
    That being said, Launchpad app also seems toyish a bit as well. Blocs is a little better (I actually use blocs a lot more than Launchpad)

Really it doesn't matter what tools people use. As long as what comes out of the speakers at the end of the day is good, the end justifies the means.

That being said, I still think you should give it another go now that your launchpadX is automapped. I think you be surprised how far it's come from the last time you tried. Do I think you'd continue to use it? I doubt it.

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

@ervin said:
    (duplicate)

here i thought i was the only one that hits the quote button instead of the gear to edit

Spot-on diagnosis, my friend 🤣👍

• What are the keys about when you press the tuning fork. I know that they change the key of the set - but are they all minor or all major? When it offers a reset it always seems to be to a minor key. Can you have major and minor keys?
    The Groovebox tuning fork big wheel thing gives you major, minor and all the rest of it.