Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sound engine with just intonation option?

Is there a sound engine with just intonation that I can drive with midi?

Really I want Drambo to let you specify the intonation system, but I don't see that happening soon.

Oh, and I think the Roland RD88 stage piano lets you specify but its 1300 us...

Comments

• This thread is not up-to-date, but there are many usable apps in it:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/22367/apps-that-support-microtonal-tunings

• You can do it in Drambo, a few different ways. There was a long discussion last year in the Drambo forum.

• wwswws
    edited January 2022

Based on the links, seems like there is no way to simply flip a switch in any of the apps. Oh well, I am no so into to set up multiple oscillators, get MPE going, etc etc. Was fun reading though!

• @wws said:
    Based on the links, seems like there is no way to simply flip a switch in any of the apps. Oh well, I am no so into to set up multiple oscillators, get MPE going, etc etc. Was fun reading though!

We should mention AudioKitSynthOne, which seems to have wide-ranging tuning options.

• @wws said:

You can do it with just a switch in ThumbJam. Go to “Sound > Change Scale > New” and there’s a temperament button

• Changing the microtuning to just intonation is trivial. But that works only in one key. Let’s say I want to play a song in C, playing a regular ii-V-I or Dm-G7-C.
    But now I want to use A7 as preparation to D. That would be the secondary dominant, and technically I should have momentarily switched to Am for that dominant, and the just intonation should account for that
    Actually bad example perhaps, as Am is the relative minor of C so I’m not sure just intonation isn’t the same.
    My point is playing in just intonation needs some AI magic underneath, to dynamically be really that. It must account for functional harmony to really take it to the next level, and break away from equal temperament’s oppression.

• @pedro said:
    Changing the microtuning to just intonation is trivial. But that works only in one key. Let’s say I want to play a song in C, playing a regular ii-V-I or Dm-G7-C.
    But now I want to use A7 as preparation to D. That would be the secondary dominant, and technically I should have momentarily switched to Am for that dominant, and the just intonation should account for that
    Actually bad example perhaps, as Am is the relative minor of C so I’m not sure just intonation isn’t the same.
    My point is playing in just intonation needs some AI magic underneath, to dynamically be really that. It must account for functional harmony to really take it to the next level, and break away from equal temperament’s oppression.

The iSymphonic apps do something like that.

• I think you might be looking for Hermode tuning:

Hermode Tuning is a program that replaces the poor static tuning models of key instruments and virtual computer instruments by a richer self-adjusting dynamic tuning which is a customary practice for qualified ensembles with string and wind instruments and for singers at well-educated choirs.

Colossus Piano and iSymphonic has this optional feature and dozens of (rather pricey) IAP's.

The essential trick is recognizing what element of a chord a note represents and then doing what a good orchestral or choir member does... shift pitch slightly to align overtones.

I suspect that A-B comparisons of performances with and without Hermode tuning might not be identifiable by the audience unless the music was slow and uncluttered so perfectly aligned chords could be detected.

I hope there are more synths that have this tuning algorithm in their codebase.