Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sitala (drum sampler) coming to iOS / iPadOS, looking for feedback

Comments

• @gusgranite said:

@Samu said:

@scotchi said:

>

It's not stupid. The question behind my question was if it was the switching thing that you were hitting (i.e. doesn't change automatically when the rest of your iPad does), and I think we can fix that (that's why @luzifer asked if @Samu knew AUs that get it right), so if it was just a bug you were hitting, then we'd rather fix the bug than add a configuration option.

Sadly I don't recall any plug-in that 'switches on the fly' but I still feel it should be up to the user to choose the default theme for the app and if multiple themes are available and to keep things consistent (since the iOS can be made to toggle between Light / Dark Mode depending on time of day) it only makes sense to override this and allow the user to pick any of the two modes as their preferred default. But that's just my opinion...

Both KQ Dixie and KQ Sampei the user can choose a 'Theme' and set it as standard for the app and AUv3.

So instead of fixating on the 'to be or not to be' for Dark Mode it's better to focus on a selectable themes, again strictly my personal opinion, it's after all your app :sunglasses:

Cheers!

@Samu you might have missed my response but Baby Audio’s Crystalline does light/dark mode on the fly.

Yes but it’s a separate ‘thing’ as Crystalline does NOT check wether the device is in dark or light mode. It’s more like a ‘Theme Preference’ that is toggled with the top left icon and can be set as default with one of the buttoms at the top right :sunglasses:

So when you change your device between Dark/Light mode Crystalline does not repond to those changes.

• So really loving this app!! Did I miss when we think the AudioShare integration will happen???

Thanks!

• Is there a way to revoke access to a folder once you’ve added it to the list?

• @gregsmith said:
    Is there a way to revoke access to a folder once you’ve added it to the list?

Not yet unfortunately. We have a prototype of that feature and hope to get it into the next release.

• I’m working on a Drambo midi processor to trigger pads in Sitala to mimic multiple velocity layers or round robin. I knew it was going to be tough, but it’s turning out to be MIT-thesis level of difficult 🙃
    Warning, I will only share my state-of-the-art Drambo Sitala magic device with decent, multiple-sample loving people.

I still don’t see this thread being flooded with requests for multiple samples!. Come on!!. 🥹😂

• edited July 2022

@tahiche I think it would be cool if people could come up with designs for samplers and other "core workflow tools", and then work together to refine them, before anyone writes code for them. There are many features that a sampler could have.

Maybe the developers of next year's sampler will have priorities that align with yours, maybe they won't. But if some elements of the design could become standardized, then any deviation from that is like "Usually there's a button here that does [thing], are you planning to add that?" and users could discuss their opinions on a logical project roadmap.

I think the hardest part of adding any feature is usually designing the interface. For Sitala, you could swipe up and down on the sample to change the velocity layer, and display a second set of dots on the right side of it. But how would you enter the velocity range for each sample?

• @Skyblazer said:
    @tahiche I think it would be cool if people could come up with designs for samplers and other "core workflow tools", and then work together to refine them, before anyone writes code for them. There are many features that a sampler could have.

Maybe the developers of next year's sampler will have priorities that align with yours, maybe they won't.

Agreed 👍
    I was just being a brat

I think the hardest part of adding any feature is usually designing the interface. For Sitala, you could swipe up and down on the sample to change the velocity layer, and display a second set of dots on the right side of it. But how would you enter the velocity range for each sample?

I actually don’t think that’d be a huge deal. I like your proposal.
    Something like this maybe?.

• @scotchi hi! just tried to install on macOS + it keeps asking for a rosetta installation. do you maybe have an updated installer somewhere -too lazy to check github 🫣-

• @tahiche Hmm, not bad. Thank you for indulging me and actually creating a mockup. :) How would you edit the range? A text entry popup? (Maybe with a 4x4 grid of checkboxes, and the currently-selected sample checked by default, so that you could apply the setting to the same layer on other pads.)

Some more thinking on the subject, not necessarily something I'm expecting you to respond to:

The "Layer" buttons would then become the smallest buttons on the whole interface, aside from the menu button at the top left. And the menu button is in the corner, making it easier to activate. The layer buttons are below that dropdown button, and next to each other. I'm not saying they would be too difficult to activate, I'm just saying they would require the most precision of any buttons on the screen so far. And they could obscure part of the waveform, but it might be worth it anyway.

My vertical swiping idea would obscure the waveform less, but it would introduce the problem of Sitala having to detect whether you're attempting a vertical or horizontal swipe, and the "Range 60-90" text could no longer sit next to the layer number.

Plus, using vertical dots to indicate the layer number would only work if you have few enough layers to easily count the dots, and you could probably only fit 8 dots vertically.

Or 8 numbers horizontally. It doesn't need to have 16 or 127 layers, but if I were designing the ultimate sampler, I would rather not have such limitations be a fundamental part of its design. (But I'm not doing that...not yet, anyway. Maybe some day.)

• @cazel said:
    @scotchi hi! just tried to install on macOS + it keeps asking for a rosetta installation. do you maybe have an updated installer somewhere -too lazy to check github 🫣-

We haven't released an M1 version yet. @luzifer just got an M1 Macbook a few weeks ago, and since then we've been focused on the iOS version.

It's not just a matter of creating a new installer -- we did some initial testing on M1 and there were a lot of crashes, so we need to invest time in figuring out what's not working on M1.

• @Skyblazer said:
    @tahiche Hmm, not bad. Thank you for indulging me and actually creating a mockup. :)

Honestly, we've already got some ideas that are significantly more refined than that (this is literally a problem we've spent the last year thinking about), where there's a way of representing velocity ranges / probabilities on a resizable grid. It's just that it'll be a fair amount of work to actually get the code written, so it naturally has to compete with other priorities.

• edited July 2022

@luzifer said:

@gregsmith said:
    Is there a way to revoke access to a folder once you’ve added it to the list?

Not yet unfortunately. We have a prototype of that feature and hope to get it into the next release.

Brilliant, thanks. Great app btw - wasn’t going to buy it but very glad I did 👍

Oh, something else that would be great is to be able to browse files by tag rather than folder, or add a tag as a source. Dunno if this is practical but I use sample crate to tag collections of samples

• @scotchi said:

@Skyblazer said:
    @tahiche Hmm, not bad. Thank you for indulging me and actually creating a mockup. :)

Honestly, we've already got some ideas that are significantly more refined than that (this is literally a problem we've spent the last year thinking about), where there's a way of representing velocity ranges / probabilities on a resizable grid. It's just that it'll be a fair amount of work to actually get the code written, so it naturally has to compete with other priorities.

Cool, I look forward to trying it. I don't think I've ever seen probabilities represented on a resizable grid before. I suppose if you're not representing pitch, that frees up an axis for probability.

And, for the most powerful samplers, I suppose the "grid of overlapping rectangles" design doesn't have to be cumbersome; it just has been so far. Scrolling the view, zooming the view, resizing a rectangle, and moving a rectangle, all being handled by pinching and dragging...it requires a steady hand.

• @scotchi said:

@Skyblazer said:

I surely hope it’s more refined!. I would certainly not hire me based on that mock-up! 😂

I’ve been working on a Drambo module processor thingy to sequence Sitala with multi-samples via velocity or round robin. It seems like it’s working well. You set the number of samples and define what notes they are mapped to according to the incoming velocity (or round robin). Here I’m using Sitala inside Drambo standalone but you could use a Drambo MidiFX instance and use it in Loopy or any daw. The advantage is that you get a sequencer + remapped in one, no need to use an extra Mozaic script or whatever.

• @tahiche said:

@scotchi said:

@Skyblazer said:

I surely hope it’s more refined!. I would certainly not hire me based on that mock-up! 😂

I’ve been working on a Drambo module processor thingy to sequence Sitala with multi-samples via velocity or round robin. It seems like it’s working well. You set the number of samples and define what notes they are mapped to according to the incoming velocity (or round robin). Here I’m using Sitala inside Drambo standalone but you could use a Drambo MidiFX instance and use it in Loopy or any daw. The advantage is that you get a sequencer + remapped in one, no need to use an extra Mozaic script or whatever.

I’d like this Drambo preset when you’re done please 🙏 😉

(One for you @FPC too)

• @gregsmith said:

@tahiche said:

@scotchi said:

@Skyblazer said:

I’d like this Drambo preset when you’re done please 🙏 😉

(One for you @FPC too)

Sure thing!.
    I’m gonna try it out on a couple of “tracks” to see how I’d do it. So far I’ve used it on a single sound (kick). I’m not sure if I want it on a single track with note filters or in separate tracks… I’m more inclined for separate tracks as a sequencer, it’s a lot easier to see and edit. Plus I could probably load a Drambo max for sequencing inside the Drambo that’s hosting Sitala.
    As a plus I also have a nice humanizer thingy for velocities. I’ll try and put together a Drambo project to share with a Sitala vel layers drumkit, maybe one of the free Reverb.com drum kits.

• edited July 2022

Hi again!
    Here it is, @gregsmith and co.
    Link https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/03ayxl9IWSxQWIaUb43kYk05w#Drambo-Sitala

I’ve included a Drambo project with the midi processors in some tracks, all sending midi to a master track with Sitala. This, can of course be setup however you like.
    I think it’s pretty self explanatory but let me know if you have any questions.
    In the vel mapper processor:

• The mapper can be set to off/round robin/velocity or random
    • specify how many samples there are (for example 3 for kicks, just 2 for hi hats in this example). This will determine how many notes it will play (round robin or random) and how it maps the velocity to layers (velocity mode).
    • You specify the note being sent by each layer. You have an octave and note selector (note quantizer module) for each of the 4 layers, In Sitala the first sample starts at c1, then c#1, etc… (note quantizer sometimes does weird stuff and sends to diff octave, just try the “scale” knob on the quantizer, don’t know why…).
    • There’s a velocity remapper at the end. Useful if for example the soft kick is already low in volume and since the incoming vel is also low it might be too quiet (the kick uses it).
    • There’s also a humanizer processor for randomizing velocities but in relation to the initial velocity.

I’ve included a Sitala project in the zip file, just for reference and so the project loads. Samples are taken from one of the free Reverb.com kits.

Please let me know if you find it useful!. I’d lie if I said it was easy 😅, makes you appreciate the Drambo gurus out there!,

• @tahiche said:
    Hi again!
    Here it is, @gregsmith and co.
    Link https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/03ayxl9IWSxQWIaUb43kYk05w#Drambo-Sitala

I’ve included a Drambo project with the midi processors in some tracks, all sending midi to a master track with Sitala. This, can of course be setup however you like.
    I think it’s pretty self explanatory but let me know if you have any questions.
    In the vel mapper processor:

• The mapper can be set to off/round robin/velocity or random
    • specify how many samples there are (for example 3 for kicks, just 2 for hi hats in this example). This will determine how many notes it will play (round robin or random) and how it maps the velocity to layers (velocity mode).
    • You specify the note being sent by each layer. You have an octave and note selector (note quantizer module) for each of the 4 layers, In Sitala the first sample starts at c1, then c#1, etc… (note quantizer sometimes does weird stuff and sends to diff octave, just try the “scale” knob on the quantizer, don’t know why…).
    • There’s a velocity remapper at the end. Useful if for example the soft kick is already low in volume and since the incoming vel is also low it might be too quiet (the kick uses it).
    • There’s also a humanizer processor for randomizing velocities but in relation to the initial velocity.

I’ve included a Sitala project in the zip file, just for reference and so the project loads. Samples are taken from one of the free Reverb.com kits.

Please let me know if you find it useful!. I’d lie if I said it was easy 😅, makes you appreciate the Drambo gurus out there!,

Thanks! Looking forward to giving it a go. Might be worth uploading to patchstorage too.

• Good shout @gregsmith
    I'll grab this. Cheers @tahiche

• @gregsmith said:

Thanks! Looking forward to giving it a go. Might be worth uploading to patchstorage too.

Sure. Once you check it and give me thumbs up!. We wouldn’t want to upload some failing junk.
    I just love the “samples I’m the same folder” dots in Sitala. It’s so convenient for the multi-sample use, just slide for the next velocity sample,

• This file import browser is SUBLIME. Man this is so good and simple. Any chance of multi-outs? My 80s snare reverb sounds crappy on my kick and hats.

• @oat_phipps said:
    This file import browser is SUBLIME. Man this is so good and simple. Any chance of multi-outs? My 80s snare reverb sounds crappy on my kick and hats.

It has multi-outs.

I do think it’d be clearer and more versatile if the output could be set per pad, you mightI only need 3 outs and not the 16…

• @tahiche said:

@oat_phipps said:
    This file import browser is SUBLIME. Man this is so good and simple. Any chance of multi-outs? My 80s snare reverb sounds crappy on my kick and hats.

It has multi-outs.

I do think it’d be clearer and more versatile if the output could be set per pad, you mightI only need 3 outs and not the 16…

Agreed on this, I might have commented on this before, but yeah, selectable outputs per pad are useful so you can combine sound types.

• Hachi machi, that’s brilliant! Peace out to all my other drum machines. It’s a shame it took this long for something this simple and elegant to come to iOS. And did I mention the file browsing?

• Hi!
    Another feature request… Save trimmed sample.
    If this implemented I haven’t been able to find it. Say you have a 3 min song and you want to extract some drum hits. I’d like to save the pad with just the trimmed sample, to keep the file size down and have a more “standard” format. I guess it’s trim the original and save as a new sample.

• @tahiche said:
    Hi!
    If this implemented I haven’t been able to find it. Say you have a 3 min song and you want to extract some drum hits. I’d like to save the pad with just the trimmed sample, to keep the file size down and have a more “standard” format. I guess it’s trim the original and save as a new sample.

Not sure i understand. Do you want to be able to re-export the sliced sample to re-use it in a different context?

• @luzifer said:

@tahiche said:
    Hi!

Not sure i understand. Do you want to be able to re-export the sliced sample to re-use it in a different context?

Crop the selection. Long loop…. Only want small part of it.

• @tahiche said:

@gregsmith said:

Sure. Once you check it and give me thumbs up!. We wouldn’t want to upload some failing junk.
    I just love the “samples I’m the same folder” dots in Sitala. It’s so convenient for the multi-sample use, just slide for the next velocity sample,

I’ve just had a chance to open it and works great in stand-alone! I haven’t had time to try routing it out of a Drambo instance auv3 yet and into an auv3 Sitala. Tbh I can’t remember how either.

• Hallo Everyone. Longtime lurker, recently signed up.

Is there any news on the ableton drum convertor? I got a lot of kits that i really want to get into sitala.

Love the app for what it is, a small sampler with good sound design tools, and hope to see it grow in the future.

Cheers!

• @onerez said:

@luzifer said:

@tahiche said:
    Hi!

Crop the selection. Long loop…. Only want small part of it.

Exactly this. Sorry if it wasn’t clear. If I then want to save the drumkit, export with samples or whatever, I’d like to just have the actual snare, Not the whole loop.