Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad music realization

So I’ve been dabbling in iOS music making for a few years. I come from a background of live looping with hardware like Boss/Elektron and software(Ableton). It wasn’t until I started working in Loopy Pro that I’m now starting to see the bigger picture of this platform. It’s sort of a modular system isn’t it? I just didn’t put two and two together until I started connecting other apps inside Loopy Pro. Seems it should have been obvious but I just always worked in apps stand-alone before this. So now my head is pretty much exploding with ideas and I see my whole mindset needs to change. Coming from Ableton I’m used to combining stems with live loops but now I think stems aren’t really necessary. I can just host whatever apps I make music in right in Loopy Pro and seamlessly combine those projects with live looped material. No need to go to the trouble of making stems. It’s a dynamic environment instead of static. Anyway this is probably old news to most of you but wanted to share my new perspective.

Comments

• Yep. There are no real one-music-app-does-it-all solutions on iOS like there are on PC/Mac. But, that's what makes iOS a dynamic environment as you said. :)

• @joshelliott said:
    Anyway this is probably old news to most of you but wanted to share my new perspective.

Please don't tell just anybody about it.

• @McD said:

@joshelliott said:
    Anyway this is probably old news to most of you but wanted to share my new perspective.

😂😉

• I can’t tell you how many times people have been shocked that my sounds have come from iPad apps…

• edited January 2022

Yup, loopy pro, audiobus, AUM, etc… are your friends. iOS music making definitely leans modular, but it doesn’t have to be, it can be anything you want it to be (well perhaps not Abbey Road Studios). But yes working in one standalone environment is just a shadow of this platform’s capability.

• edited January 2022

interesting enough the same synth or fx au always sounds better on ios then on my mac,i think its because i can touch it,really makes a different。

• That’s what I love about this platform. So many different ways to work in it. 😍

• iOS finally making sense to me as a platform has been such a godsend. I've been able to build what is basically my ideal groovebox, and - as a lifelong guy-in-a-band - I'm being productive in a way that I've never been when it comes to making music by myself. And I haven't even bought Drambo yet!

Also, it has all but killed my GAS for hardware. The amount of time (and money) I used to spend on Reverb... jeepers. Now I spend a lot of time here (and some money on apps - though most of it is justified as reward because I quit smoking in July), and -most importantly- making music.

• If you want max flexibility IMO Drambo hosted in Loopy is the way to go.

• edited January 2022

@timelining said:
    iOS finally making sense to me as a platform has been such a godsend. I've been able to build what is basically my ideal groovebox, and - as a lifelong guy-in-a-band - I'm being productive in a way that I've never been when it comes to making music by myself. And I haven't even bought Drambo yet!

Also, it has all but killed my GAS for hardware. The amount of time (and money) I used to spend on Reverb... jeepers. Now I spend a lot of time here (and some money on apps - though most of it is justified as reward because I quit smoking in July), and -most importantly- making music.

It’s not necessary anymore, but it’s so much fun to combine all workflows: hardware, desktop and mobile! The immense power we have these days compared to 50 years ago is crazy. Modular is the vision of now and the future.

I have too many workflows, but I love everyone of them at some point:

AUM + Atom 2 + KS37
    BM3 + LK37
    NS2 + LK37
    Drambo + BSP
    Koala + MF + MT
    Loopy Pro + LPP
    MPC One

• edited January 2022

Well, there‘s nothing on IOS that one couldn‘t do 20 years ago in a desktop DAW, except the following...

@yaosichen said:
    interesting enough the same synth or fx au always sounds better on ios then on my mac,i think its because i can touch it,really makes a different

... but you had to spent quite some cash on it back then.
    Today CPU power is cheapo on any platform and you can be as modular on desktop as on IOS. o:)
    You just can‘t really touch it... (even on a touchscreen)

• @Telefunky said:
    Well, there‘s nothing on IOS that one couldn‘t do 20 years ago in a desktop DAW, except the following...

@yaosichen said:
    interesting enough the same synth or fx au always sounds better on ios then on my mac,i think its because i can touch it,really makes a different

... but you had to spent quite some cash on it back then.
    Today CPU power is cheapo on any platform and you can be as modular on desktop as on IOS. o:)
    You just can‘t really touch it... (even on a touchscreen)

Real drums are sill the missing piece of iOS.

• …and being able to twiddle more than one knob at the same time

• @u0421793 said:
    …and being able to twiddle more than one knob at the same time

10 point multitouch, you'll run out of fingers before you run out of knobs that you can turn at the same time...

• It’s modular, but limited by cpu and stability. If I were playing live, I’d use recorded stems in loopy instead of apps to increase stability, and to increase the number of tracks the cpu can handle.

• @McD said:

@joshelliott said:

My word is my bond. Unless you count my mom. I told my mom.

• @joshelliott said:

@McD said:

@joshelliott said:

My word is my bond. Unless you count my mom. I told my mom.

Next time she goes to the hair dresser, it'll be all over town. :|

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    It’s modular, but limited by cpu and stability. If I were playing live, I’d use recorded stems in loopy instead of apps to increase stability, and to increase the number of tracks the cpu can handle.

I’ll keep that in mind. Definitely some advantages to stems