Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

IR Loader by Nembrini Audio

13»

Comments

• @JoyceRoadStudios said:
    I’m so glad this IR loader doesn’t take zip files. I will never ever import full zip of IRs ever again, unless I’ve broken it down first. As it is I unzip the folders, make much smaller folders, and rezip those to import, as many of us do. If you think the rEvolution bundle has a lot of IRs, there are other Ownhammer IRs where you buy just one cabinet and it’s like 4000 IRs. It’s ludicrous. I have spent about $100 on IRs in the last two years, and if that were to get me only 100-200 IRs total I’d do it again.

What I have realized is that buying several thousand IRs is so counterproductive. My thinking is that you have to know your gear. You must know your guitar, amp, console, pultec rack, whatever, you most know it like the back of your hand so you can predict what it does and how it does it. I see our great and prolific @flo26 use maybe 3 to 5 of the same IRs for years. Obviously he owns thousands. But the point is he knows those 3 to 5 IRs so well, and knows exactly the what and the why of them. He knows his gear. And at that point when you can predict your IR and its behavior because its sound is imprinted in the ear, you can actually evaluate what the amp stage is doing, or all of the other components in your chain. It’s no different than knowing the sound of your guitar cabs as well as you possibly could. It becomes the reference point, or the control of your test.

So when we cycle through and audition amp sims, and are also cycling through IRs, we’re evaluating a different amp/cab pairing constantly, and the thing we don’t like may not be the amp’s fault at all. It could be because we don’t know the IR.

My goal is to audition as many as I can but come up with maybe two dozen IRs that I will memorize the sound of. And stick to them. I understand those who want to explore the microphone specific folders of the IRs, and the cab positioning folders, a lot of merit in that. I’m just proposing that we find a set number of IRs we like, stick to them, and really get to know them. In general a good strategy to combat option paralysis, but really it’s just about “knowing your gear” “crawling into your gear” “ being one with your gear”. Ok goodnight friends.

First of all,thanks so much for your kind words @JoyceRoadStudios !
    The idea behind my working process really comes from the fact that I like to keep things quick and simple.
    Most of my life,I've worked with real tube amps.I mean one amp (at a time),one cab,one guitar.
    Most of guitar amps have at least two channels,clean and dirty.
    You've got to do with it.
    You are right @JoyceRoadStudios ,I know my gear.
    Many years ago,I had many great guitars at home.You know what?i've sold them all because one day,I've realized I only played on my Luke guitar and that I could get every sound out of it.
    I swear I know this guitar like it is a part of my body.
    Getting that kind of relationship with an instrument can take many years but once done,you won't need anything else.
    I'm not interested in buying guitars anymore.
    About IRS,I confess that the first time i've bought some,I've spent hundreds hours checking most of them.
    It was time consuming,but a very fun experience.I've learnt and discovered many great things.
    I had to do this,but,most importantly,I had to get out of this😂.
    I knew what I wanted.Which kind of sound,textures,I needed.
    You must hear the sound in your head before doing anything else,or you'll loose a lot of time😉.
    And,for me,the most important of all,is PLAYING AND HAVING FUN!
    Flo

• Anyone can recommend some good fender cab IRs? I never was a fan of IRs in amp sims but maybe there are better places/websites to look for quality IRs.

• wimwim
    edited January 2022

@jacou said:
    Anyone can recommend some good fender cab IRs? I never was a fan of IRs in amp sims but maybe there are better places/websites to look for quality IRs.

https://www.ownhammer.com/store/

The (r)Evolution is a good value, but doesn't specialize in Fender cabinets. What I did was go through the video demos of those amps and then pick one that seemed closest to the style I usually play. Then I bought the individual cabinet, not the bundle. I think it cost me $8.00.

Next I spent a fair amount of time getting a feel for all the variations of that cabinet, and picked six to import to Thafknar. Only Six. I stashed the rest and have tried to forget about them so I don't spend all my life plunking around through hundreds of files.

I broke down during a sale and got the (r)Evolution bundle. But I have to say I only use one other of the cabinets from that selection so far.

Before that I had tried many free IRs and they just don't hold up to the Ownhammer ones IMO.

• @wim said:

@jacou said:
    Anyone can recommend some good fender cab IRs? I never was a fan of IRs in amp sims but maybe there are better places/websites to look for quality IRs.

The (r)Evolution is a good value, but doesn't specialize in Fender cabinets. What I did was go through the video demos of those amps and then pick one that seemed closest to the style I usually play. Then I bought the individual cabinet, not the bundle. I think it cost me $8.00.

Next I spent a fair amount of time getting a feel for all the variations of that cabinet, and picked six to import to Thafknar. Only Six. I stashed the rest and have tried to forget about them so I don't spend all my life plunking around through hundreds of files.

I broke down during a sale and got the (r)Evolution bundle. But I have to say I only use one other of the cabinets from that selection so far.

Before that I had tried many free IRs and they just don't hold up to the Ownhammer ones IMO.

Thanks a lot @wim for that report! I can relate to spending countless hours with finding the right amp tone. So far I more or less successfully used EQs and saturation to dial it in (similar to what gain stage app does) but I’m curious about giving IRs another try to get that signature Fender amp sound that most of us guitarists fell in love with at one stage in our lives. Didn’t we? 😄

• @jacou said:

@wim said:

@jacou said:

Thanks a lot @wim for that report! I can relate to spending countless hours with finding the right amp tone. So far I more or less successfully used EQs and saturation to dial it in (similar to what gain stage app does) but I’m curious about giving IRs another try to get that signature Fender amp sound that most of us guitarists fell in love with at one stage in our lives. Didn’t we? 😄

I’ve worked with the Fender IRs inside the rEvolution bundle and I think they’re just ok. IMHO best IRs in that bundle by a long shot are the Vox AC15/30 IRs and the Marshall GNR-75 IRs. The Orange and Boogie IRs a little dark, and the Fender ones are a tad anemic. I’ve also bought the Ownhammer Tweed IR which is not made by Fender but are a tweed style IR. They’re ok. The one Fender IR from Ownhammer that I can personally highly recommend is the 410 SVRB which is the Fender Super Reverb 4x10 open back. It’s great.

It’s tricky with IRs though, you may be looking for a certain Fender sound, but in reality it’s more important to think of things like “do I need an IR to brighten this or to darken this” or “do I need an IR with more upper mid presence or more bass” etc… honestly I have found that opposites can sound better. If your amp sim is already bright and thin then a fender IR could make it even thinner. So I actually tend to use modern heavy hitter IRs on vintage style sims, and I use vox and fender type IRs on the heavy hitter amps, to balance things out.

• wimwim
    edited January 2022

I somewhat agree about the rEvolution bundle Fender IRs sounding a little bit thin, at least for the IRs in the Summary folder. I actually find that helpful when working in a mix but not quite as satisfying when noodling solo. There are some variations with more "thump" if I cared to go digging. But I'm huge of simplifying these days.

That's where the Nembrini IR loader has proved to be a pleasant surprise. I find that simply kicking in the power amp with the right settings gives me just the little extra meat I'd like to see sometimes without chaining in yet more FX. The EQ and compressor are there too, but I'm studiously avoiding them for now because they're yet another invitation to spend more time tweaking than playing.

• In my opinion, Fender-ishness comes more from the amp than the cab. Those Vox cabs in rEvolution pair well with Fender-ish amp sims, imo.

• @espiegel123 said:
    In my opinion, Fender-ishness comes more from the amp than the cab. Those Vox cabs in rEvolution pair well with Fender-ish amp sims, imo.

Yes they do, and I also pair those VoxAC15/30 mix IRs with pretty much every Nembrini, even the high gain ones. Sometimes I’ll use the Marshall IRs. I don’t know what it is, a certain upper mid sprinkle dust? But those two are just stellar, as they are in real life.

• @JoyceRoadStudios What I have realized is that buying several thousand IRs is so counterproductive. My thinking is that you have to know your gear. You must know your guitar, amp, console, pultec rack, whatever, you most know it like the back of your hand so you can predict what it does and how it does it.

This is true but also a bit contradicting if “your gear” is actually some folders with a couple thousand IR files… I’d love to settle on 3 IR’s, but which ones? 😳 . Sure, the summary folder, but the “dark mix” sounds good on that one, what about the “T1” on that other cab that makes it less muddy….?. I do wish I had just a dozen to start with, there’s that feeling of “what I’m tossing the good one without even trying it?”.

• @NoiseFloored said:
    I'm curious if it can be used for reverbs, can someone try with a longer IR?

I'm curious too

• @MAtrixplan said:

@NoiseFloored said:

I'm curious too

If you don't know it, Thafknar is a great app for general IRs (and cabs).

• @uncledave said:

@MAtrixplan said:

@NoiseFloored said:

I'm curious too

AltiSpace 2 is also great for convolution reverbs and comes with a vast assortment https://apps.apple.com/us/app/altispace-2/id1580223509

• @Schmotown said:

@uncledave said:

@MAtrixplan said:

@NoiseFloored said:

I'm curious too

AltiSpace 2 is also great for convolution reverbs and comes with a vast assortment https://apps.apple.com/us/app/altispace-2/id1580223509

AltiSpace 2 unfortunately limits the IR length. So it can’t run some of the long IRs I like using for reverb . I find that I get better performance from THAFKNAR (on top of the ability to run true stereo-to-stereo reverbs).

• @espiegel123 said:

@Schmotown said:

@uncledave said:

@MAtrixplan said:

@NoiseFloored said:

I'm curious too

AltiSpace 2 unfortunately limits the IR length. So it can’t run some of the long IRs I like using for reverb . I find that I get better performance from THAFKNAR (on top of the ability to run true stereo-to-stereo reverbs).

Thanks for the replies, I didn't know about AltiSpace's limitation. @richardyot commented earlier that IR Loader is optimized for cab IRs, so I'll just stick with Thafknar.

• Is it exact to say that IR cab can be clone with only reverb, delay and EQ? I know what IR is, but I just want to be more precise about my knowledge.

• @Montreal_Music said:
    Is it exact to say that IR cab can be clone with only reverb, delay and EQ? I know what IR is, but I just want to be more precise about my knowledge.

While some people claim they can get close with eq, reverb and early reflections, I have not heard an implementation that is as effective as a good cabinet IR. And that was more or less the consensus opinion after quite a few of us compared an app that took that approach to the same app with its cabinet emulation turned off and ran through ir’s instead.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Montreal_Music said:
    Is it exact to say that IR cab can be clone with only reverb, delay and EQ? I know what IR is, but I just want to be more precise about my knowledge.

While some people claim they can get close with eq, reverb and early reflections, I have not heard an implementation that is as effective as a good cabinet IR. And that was more or less the consensus opinion after quite a few of us compared an app that took that approach to the same app with its cabinet emulation turned off and ran through ir’s instead.

Thank you!

• @eross said:
    i’m also curious what kind of files can be loaded in? could i record some random sounds around the house myself and load them into and use this as more of a sound design tool?

You sure can and I'd recommend to do it!
    I've had so much fun loading all kinds of different IRs into Thafknar (my favorite IR processor), there's no reason not to use anything you record as an IR. :+1:

• @Montreal_Music said:

No. Except your reverb emulates the cab's response closely enough which is uncommon in reverbs. That's why IRs are still used today.