Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

With no Auv3 on the horizon, need alternatives to Lumbeat apps...

As Camelot has no intention of adding IAA (and why should they when even Apple have deprecated it) and Lumbeat apparently has no intention of converting to AUv3, I am in need of similar drum apps (particularly Soft Drummer, Jazz Drummer and Rock Drummer) that have AUv3 versions.

I have sent several messages over a long period of time to LM about the auv3 thing but have received not one word back.

Comments

  • I don’t have it but I think drum perfect pro is what you’re looking for
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/drumperfect-pro/id1032935528

  • @Fingolfinzz said:
    I don’t have it but I think drum perfect pro is what you’re looking for
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/drumperfect-pro/id1032935528

    looks and sounds nice, but I could not see any sort of jam mode, or "on the fly" fills or outtros?

  • Camelot is a developer? Cannot find in the App Store.

    Or do you mean an App?

    No way to connect them by AudioBus?

  • He was here around the time of his latest launch (the Indian drum app) and in response to a question he basically said no to AUv3.

  • I’m perfectly ok with Lum not being AU as long as they still connect via audio and can export midi.

  • @tja said:
    Camelot is a developer? Cannot find in the App Store.

    Or do you mean an App?

    https://apps.apple.com/app/camelot-pro/id1326331127

  • @pax-eterna said:
    As Camelot has no intention of adding IAA (and why should they when even Apple have deprecated it) and Lumbeat apparently has no intention of converting to AUv3, I am in need of similar drum apps (particularly Soft Drummer, Jazz Drummer and Rock Drummer) that have AUv3 versions.

    I have sent several messages over a long period of time to LM about the auv3 thing but have received not one word back.

    U could either record loops to loopy pro. I route inside Aum.

    Or
    You could record midi out or export midi to a sequencer of your choice.

  • I’m also planning on getting Camelot Pro someday but yeah the drums are always the issue. When I build my drum tracks either with Drum Session or Lumbeat’s i turn them to Audio stems in Auria. I think this is the best way to play backing tracks. It’s less stress on your iPad and one less thing to worry about an app freeze.

    I’m still on the fence about Camelot Pro can’t find any info if the outputs of the iPad headphone are considered as audio outputs along with those of your audio interface.

    With the Multitracker app i have 4 outputs. 2 from my stereo audio interface Nd the headphone stereo out count as an extra 2.

    Any ways, the issue with AU drums should not stop you from recording them ahead of time as stems.

  • edited January 13

    Thanks folks, recording to tracks is not really how I use it. I play keys and bass live and run the drum apps live as I am playing. I can do backing tracks on the pc easy enough and I do have quite a large number of these, however this is a different situation where I am trying to create a small combo vibe.

    I do have AUM, however its method of storing and recalling setups via MIDI is not as precise or varied as Camelot. I might just have to resort to run AUM as the host do do THESE sorts of sets, and use Camelot for everything else.

    I wish LM (Lumbeat) would give his reasoning for not adding/changing to AUv3 when the while iOS paradigm is heading that way.

  • Yes AU is getting as necessary as VST on Windows, without it you are out in the cold. I don’t think there is anything quite like the Lumbeat apps so I really hope he reconsiders.

  • @PhilW said:
    Yes AU is getting as necessary as VST on Windows, without it you are out in the cold. I don’t think there is anything quite like the Lumbeat apps so I really hope he reconsiders.

    Yep! It must be quite a difficult thing to do I guess.

  • @pax-eterna could you please do me a favor? Can you check Camelot Pro if you are able to select the iPad’s headphone outputs as audio outputs in addition to what ever outputs your audio interface provides?

    This is important for me as i only have a stereo audio interface and need the additional two outs provided by the headphone output.

    Thanks!

    @pax-eterna said:
    Thanks folks, recording to tracks is not really how I use it. I play keys and bass live and run the drum apps live as I am playing. I can do backing tracks on the pc easy enough and I do have quite a large number of these, however this is a different situation where I am trying to create a small combo vibe.

    I do have AUM, however its method of storing and recalling setups via MIDI is not as precise or varied as Camelot. I might just have to resort to run AUM as the host do do THESE sorts of sets, and use Camelot for everything else.

    I wish LM (Lumbeat) would give his reasoning for not adding/changing to AUv3 when the while iOS paradigm is heading that way.

  • @Tones4Christ said:
    @pax-eterna could you please do me a favor? Can you check Camelot Pro if you are able to select the iPad’s headphone outputs as audio outputs in addition to what ever outputs your audio interface provides?

    This is important for me as i only have a stereo audio interface and need the additional two outs provided by the headphone output.

    Thanks!

    afaik, no you cannot. If there is an audio interface connected Camelot defaults to using that. Headphones are no longer available.

    But, tbh, you are far better asking that question on the Camelot FB page. They guys there are VERY quick to respond to user questions.

  • I’ve sampled some of the lumbeats sounds and rhythms into DigiStix; not exactly an alternative but does get the awesome sounds of the Lumbeats apps into an AUv3…

  • If anyone can definitely program or code something like this into AU it has to be the Boss of coding:
    @brambos

    We can only hope he can do his magic and create a nice ultra realistic AI drum player.

    @mulletsaison said:
    I’ve sampled some of the lumbeats sounds and rhythms into DigiStix; not exactly an alternative but does get the awesome sounds of the Lumbeats apps into an AUv3…

  • AUv3 for @LuisMartinez Lumbeats drums, @Sonosaurus Drumjam and many Korg apps have been requested many, many times.

    But programmers will share their frustrations with implementing this poorly documented API technology. @Audiokit has shared code that could be build on and I'm sure many starting from scratch have used that route to support AUv3.

    @LuisMartinez has 11 very popular drum apps to maintain... he has added new products every year so it seems like his strategy is to stick the API features he has now and create new "drummer" types.

    I own all 11 and paid the $18 price for almost all of them. Plumbing them into AUM has been a major pain due to start/stop headaches and the mess of which window is on top of which. He's really good at creating patterns that sound like great drum loops and have all the right touches to sound human.

    If I was using these drummers live I would not wait for AUv3 versions which may never be provided. The workarounds are:

    1. Record audio loops (and maybe put in extra effort to trigger endings, fills, etc)
      or
    2. run the drummer apps on an iPhone and use a separate channel on an audio mixer

    The fact that we keep harping on this issue with @LuisMartinez (and Korg, etc) keeps these developers off the forum because it's a pointless exchange because there is no simple solution. Customers are fond of saying "I have a quick question." But sometimes the answers just aren't quick.

    @LuisMartinez pops in when he needs to market a new product but has to leave because people won't accept his decision to avoid the AUv3 quagmire.

  • wimwim
    edited January 13

    I'm sure Lumbeats will eventually see sales trail off over time to the point that the decision to move to AUv3 apps will begin to make more sense. Either that or some day IAA support will be dropped altogether or stop working well enough and not be fixed and the decision will then be whether or not it's worth continuing development of new apps and/or revamping the old ones. (I doubt the day IAA support fails is anywhere near, but it could be.)

    He's got a good business model right now though. It seems to me that the majority of the code is shared between all the apps, meaning maintenance and creating new apps is nowhere near like it would be if each app was wholly unique.

    How long that remains viable, and what he decides to do about it when it no longer is, will be interesting to see. Other developers, equally reluctant to go AUv3, have changed mind over time.

    None of which answers the OP's question. :# There really isn't any equivalent in an AU format yet.

  • @wim said:
    I'm sure Lumbeats will eventually see sales trail off over time to the point that the decision to move to AUv3 apps will begin to make more sense. Either that or some day IAA support will be dropped altogether or stop working well enough and not be fixed and the decision will then be whether or not it's worth continuing development of new apps and/or revamping the old ones. (I doubt the day IAA support fails is anywhere near, but it could be.)

    He's got a good business model right now though. It seems to me that the majority of the code is shared between all the apps, meaning maintenance and creating new apps is nowhere near like it would be if each app was wholly unique.

    How long that remains viable, and what he decides to do about it when it no longer is, will be interesting to see. Other developers, equally reluctant to go AUv3, have changed mind over time.

    None of which answers the OP's question. :# There really isn't any equivalent in an AU format yet.

    Yes - a lot of code is surely shared, so I’d expect this also to be the case for AUv3. Write once, release 11 updates.

Sign In or Register to comment.