Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Hype is really a problem these days bro.

edited January 12 in Off-topic

The overhype has to stop folks.

Love Apple products so fanboys relax and don’t take offense to your beloved being criticized…criticism is o’coming.

IMO M1 is WAY OVERHYPED. Like, I mean massively overhyped.

I “upgraded” my 2015 MBP 15” i7 16g for a new 14” M1 16g 1 tb.

🥱🥱🥱🥱🥱🥱🥱🥱🥱🥱🥱🥱🥱🥱🥱

Better? Sure. But dude. Duuuuuuuude, it really ain’t that serious. I promise bro, it really isn’t. I knew better. I really did.smh. I don’t know what happened. Weak moment, dug the Space Grey idk…I just did it and so far, so underwhelmed.

Luckily, in my area (Miami) you can buy anything (especially new desiresble tech) super cheap off the street if you aren’t obsessed with knowing why it’s so discounted. So, I’m not even paying “Apple” prices.

$750 for the 11” new iPad pro.
$1400 for the 14” MBP

I digress.

M1 is better than i7 no doubt but it isn’t Honda to Lambo like the hypers would have you believe. More like Mercedes to BMW. If you’ve driven both you know what I mean. One is more luxurious experience the other performs driving tasks better. Both perform great and luxurious but if youre the getaway driver for a heist you definitely want a Beamer.lol. just don’t forget to disable the gps and theft tracker modules or the feds will be waiting at the hideout. So I’ve heard.

I digress.

Sure, if I gotta edit a film for a major studio or cut an album I def want my M1 over my i7….otherwise….it doesn’t matter. I’m not doing either of those things daily now so the upgrade is not that noticeable. Quicker load time yeah, who cares? My i7 was up in seconds already. Maschine nor Logic run exponentially better. Don’t care what geek bench says. I care about experience. It ain’t drastic over i7 imo.

In fact, I have no really drastic or exponential leaps in efficiency to report as far as MBP. Better but not knocking any socks off. iPad Pro upgrade is definitely more noticeable (more AUs for sure) but still very VERY underwhelming cs my expectations and considering price but good enough I won’t go back if that makes sense.

This post is already long enough so I’ll end by saying these devices are definitely great and imo still head of class vs competition…but if the competition is Apple…my advice is stick with whatever you have a bit longer unless it’s broken, cracked, way old, etc.

10.5 iPad Pro is still great for iOS music production. However, I won’t resale my new one like I did with 1st Gen 11” or my M1 MBP 13” (made it one day than grabbed 14”) but if I knew what I know now I would have waited another year or two to go from 2015 MBP and 2017 IPad Pro.

Just my experience.

Happy New Years folks!

Comments

• Couldn’t disagree more, sorry man. No more fans spinning up during audio production ever, WAY, WAY better battery life, my video renders take 1/10th the time or less, smoother and quicker space switching, etc. There numerous things I notice every day in use that remind me how much better it is than my 2019 MBP.

• @Tarekith said:
    Couldn’t disagree more, sorry man. No more fans spinning up during audio production ever, WAY, WAY better battery life, my video renders take 1/10th the time or less, smoother and quicker space switching, etc. There numerous things I notice every day in use that remind me how much better it is than my 2019 MBP.

Wow. Over a 2019?! Which specs if you don’t mind me asking?

Assuming similar specs I’m sure it’s due to the fact you’re doing hugely intensive processes daily. I def agree those things are better and I’ve experienced improvements in the stated areas but just not as impressive as I expected is all.

Glad you’re enjoying the upgrade at any rate 💪🏽.

• @CapnWillie out of curiosity which apps are you using on the shiny new shiny shiny.

• Hate to be William of Occam here, but is it possible that you got a lemon M1 off the streets of Miami?

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Hate to be William of Occam here, but is it possible that you got a lemon M1 off the streets of Miami?

Ummm there are no lemons on the streets of Miami. Only Oranges and Pineapples man. 🤪

• @echoopera said:
    @CapnWillie out of curiosity which apps are you using on the shiny new shiny shiny.

So far, all of the basics Mail, Safari, Logic and of course Maschine 2. A few NI won’t run Native yet.

I’ve experienced improvements in all of the above but just not to the level I expected is all. Granted, it’s been just over a week. Just sharing my initial impressions. Socks still on 😩🤣.

What say you? Were you impressed with the boosts? What did you upgrade from?

• @CapnWillie coming from a 2020 macbook pro 16 made me return last year the new pro m1. Then I sold my MBP 16 (so much logic bord problmes) and returned to a solid gaming laptop with 1500 euros saved in my pocket.

M1 is good, don't get me wrong, but nothing super excited or disruptive imho.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Hate to be William of Occam here, but is it possible that you got a lemon M1 off the streets of Miami?

No chance. Brand new sealed and set up transfer at Genius Bar. Also, far as I know, no such thing as a bootleg MBP M1. The amount of money it would cost to counterfeit a MBP this good wouldn’t be worth it.

• My MacBook M1 Air is the best pc I've ever had. It's awesome. Powerful, silent, great screen, lightweight with amazing battery. It's like someone plucked it from the future and dropped it into my hands.

• @Charlesalbert said:
    @CapnWillie coming from a 2020 macbook pro 16 made me return last year the new pro m1. Then I sold my MBP 16 (so much logic bord problmes) and returned to a solid gaming laptop with 1500 euros saved in my pocket.

M1 is good, don't get me wrong, but nothing super excited or disruptive imho.

Wow, I’ve never experienced or known anyone with a Logic board problem or any problem with any MbP but so far, I must agree that I’m not impressed. Yet.

With iPad, I think it’s obviously iPad Os holding us back. With MBP, I think perhaps my expectations were just too high.

• @echoopera said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

Ummm there are no lemons on the streets of Miami. Only Oranges and Pineapples man. 🤪

Don’t forget the🥭 mangoes!lol

• @cyberheater said:
    My MacBook M1 Air is the best pc I've ever had. It's awesome. Powerful, silent, great screen, lightweight with amazing battery. It's like someone plucked it from the future and dropped it into my hands.

I agree. This is still true despite my criticism. It’s def the best computer I’ve had. I believe two or multiple things can be true. While being better than my last MbP, the “leap” I was expecting seems more like a step or two forward from my last.

• edited January 12

@CapnWillie said:

10.5 iPad Pro is still great for iOS music production. However, I won’t resale my new one like I did with 1st Gen 11” or my M1 MBP 13” (made it one day than grabbed 14”) but if I knew what I know now I would have waited another year or two to go from 2015 MBP and 2017 IPad Pro.

My wife’s ipad died and she inherited my 10.5 pro so I was using my 2017 base model for about six months. So i got an M1. Upgrading from 2017 base to M1 is of course huge but yah if I were upgrading from the 10.5 pro = healthy golf clap.

Zero interest monthly payment I barely notice makes it way easier to swallow than one big chunk would have. If I paid for it all at once my dominant feeling would have been ‘damn these things got expensive’. Is M1 a few miles ahead of the 10.5 pro? Yup. Bouncing out of Lumafusion is by far the biggest leap. For music in Bm3 I dont hit a wall with AUs anymore but still reach a point pretty quick where it makes far more sense to just export to desktop. Sure Cubasis apparently does a good job at using multicore which is admirable but since I have Maschine/Fabs/super duper DAWs on desktop I am way more excited/motivated to get stuff over there quickly. If there were a ton of amazing desktop VSTs on iOS (Massive/Omnisphere/Infiltrator etc) it would be a totally different story and M1 would have way more value.

Would I have been overall 80% just as happy still with the 10.5 pro? Yup… with the exception of that USBC port with a Samsung T7 drive. That is a luxurious combo. For transfering huge videos and documents in seconds… Wow, mindblower. This will change your life!!!!

• @CapnWillie said:

@echoopera said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

Don’t forget the🥭 mangoes!lol

lol, point taken

• I concur with your assessment @CapnWillie . I posted in a another thread about having bought a $1400 12.9" M1 iPad Pro (moving from an Air 3) and not being incredibly blown away. I did my research and saw the admittedly impressive benchmarks. In my case, I returned it an got a 2020 model with more conservative specs for half the price and am much happier having saved the $700. If I had more money than sense, I'm sure I would've kept it but I also have an M1 Mac mini and M1 Macbook Air, both of which are...fine. I'm sure it all depends on your specific use case and applications whether these are going to make a huge difference in your life but while I'm a moderately demanding user, they were a far cry from revolutionary. Perhaps if I messed with video much, I'd have been more excited. Horses for courses and all that...

• edited January 12

Confirmed socks blown off when upgrading base model MacMini 2018 to base MacMini M1.

The specs are different if you are coming from a laptop, but the OP suggested Apple users “Stick with what you have a bit longer”. That might be true for some folks, but I don’t think that is great advice when we are talking about the base model MacMinis, where the upgrade makes a big difference

Small video render projects, running OBS for screen capture and Zoom meetings, being lazy and keeping 4 Safari windows open with 4-6 tabs each…

EVERYthing is smooth, fast, and gets done on the M1 MacMini without a hiccup. CPU management is a non-issue for basic computing. That wasn’t true for the 2018 MacMini.

I sold the 2018 model for $500 and got the 2020 M1 for $750 so at $250 cost I would call it a massive upgrade for a very small expense.

• edited January 12

I couldn’t disagree more. The hype is most definitely not undeserving. My MacBook Pro 14 (base model) is incredible.

Everything is super-snappy. No delays or lag in anything. Waking from sleep is instant. Logic runs like a dream and the UI feels 100x faster.

And it doesn’t get hot. The battery lasts for ages. The fans never come on (at least not noticeably).

It’s the best mac for years.

As for iPads Pros, they basically have had M1 type processors since the beginning. An M1 in an iPad Peo is effectively no more than an a14X would have been. So it was only ever going to have an incremental update. I think the branding makes people think an M1 is a huge upgrade over the previous generation. It just isn’t. Not in iPads and iPhones.

The fact that even the iPhone 11 outperformed almost all the Intel MacBooks in many tasks showed how good the A class chips have been for a while.

Intel MacBook to M1 is transformative in so many ways. iPad Pro with A12Z to M1 is the same leap in performance it would have been if the M1 was called the A14X. Because that’s whAt it is. An A14 class chip.

The extra processors that went on the M1 SOC were for the things the mac needed such as more thunderbolt bandwidth.

and don’t forget these are still iPad and laptop chips. And they are generation behind the A15 in the iPhone already. They are outperforming everything available on PC per watt by a huge margin. The only way Intel can compete is by throwing Watts at the problem. That’s unsustainable.

• @CapnWillie said:
    The overhype has to stop folks.

Luckily, in my area (Miami) you can buy anything (especially new desiresble tech) super cheap off the street if you aren’t obsessed with knowing why it’s so discounted. So, I’m not even paying “Apple” prices.

So…. You are buying stolen goods? If that is the case, you are OK with that?

• edited January 12

@ExAsperis99 said:

Beat me to it 🤏

Also, in general, I always wonder how "it's the best Mac/iPad/etc. ever" is even an argument. Isn't that the minimum requirement, that the latest version of the flagship product in the lineup is the best ever? How is that in itself supposed to be convincing in any way?

• In my experience it really is a Honda to Lambo level improvement. In all aspects: performance, battery life, (absence of) fan noise, etc.

• @CapnWillie said:
    Wow. Over a 2019?! Which specs if you don’t mind me asking?

It was the base model 2019 16" MBP, and now I have the M1 Pro base model but with 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD.

• @CapnWillie said:
    Wow, I’ve never experienced or known anyone with a Logic board problem or any problem with any MbP but so far, I must agree that I’m not impressed. Yet.

Sadly I've had a few logic board issues with my MBPs over the years, though Apple has always sorted me out very quickly at no cost to me. Mostly issues with the build in graphics, or the USB ports not working correctly.

• i disagree as well. this machine is a BEAST compared to my 2019

• Recently upgraded my MacBook Pro mid 2013 to a MacBook Air M1 and couldn’t be happier. Way better performance and battery. It also made me purchase some desktop software like BitWig, Arturia, Valhalla, IK Multimedia, Softube and AudioThing’s/Hainbach Wires, Gong and Motor.

• I think this is one of those times where we start to see a difference between pro users who push their machines hard daily and more causal users who just want a nice laptop. For day to day use and writing the odd song here and there, the newer M1 MBPs are really overkill for a lot of people IMVHO. They’re just not throwing tasks at them that need that much CPU power, so the differences compared to older MBPs are probably minimal.

Even myself who does need a lot of power for my daily studio and video work recognized this and didn’t bother going with the Max M1 chip. Awesome for hardcore video editors, but for musicians really not going to see enough improvement to justify the difference in cost over the M1 Pro.

In the past people just could rightly assume that the MBP would be a decent enough jump over the Airs or regular MacBooks that it was justified. But I think with the newer chips it really is going to be something people need to consider more when they upgrade.

Just my 0.02 though.

• @Tarekith said:
    I think this is one of those times where we start to see a difference between pro users who push their machines hard daily and more causal users who just want a nice laptop. For day to day use and writing the odd song here and there, the newer M1 MBPs are really overkill for a lot of people IMVHO. They’re just not throwing tasks at them that need that much CPU power, so the differences compared to older MBPs are probably minimal.

Even myself who does need a lot of power for my daily studio and video work recognized this and didn’t bother going with the Max M1 chip. Awesome for hardcore video editors, but for musicians really not going to see enough improvement to justify the difference in cost over the M1 Pro.

In the past people just could rightly assume that the MBP would be a decent enough jump over the Airs or regular MacBooks that it was justified. But I think with the newer chips it really is going to be something people need to consider more when they upgrade.

Just my 0.02 though.

🎯

• Really appreciate the feedback. Must admit i do feel a bit better about the future proofing of the investment. My expectation reference was the leap from PowerBooks to the Unibodies. Same with the Gen 1 iPads to the Pros. I’m ok with the notion it probably says more of my expectations and the differences in my use case as @Tarekith suggested. I’m definitely using it for much less these days.

Should be noted that many Apple users, reviewers and content creators, pro and otherwise, are split on this issue as well. There’s no unanimous opinion about the upgrade leap (depends on too many factors) but I’ll admit the consensus certainly seems that the latest gens are the best yet. I cant disagree with that assessment so far.

A few assumptions were made about stolen goods. I’ll assume those who suggested I may have purchased stolen goods as unfamiliar with resale sites and locale wholesale markets or warehouse districts in major American cities.

I actually set up and transferred my data to my new devices at my local Apple store while buying all of the annoying but necessary dongles. I have a biz account there for decades. If they don’t care where it came from, I don’t care either. Apple genius said damn you paid what?!

Tons of legitimate reasons for great deals on legit sites (OfferUp, Craigslist, FB market) and at street vendors especially in major cities or affluent areas. I just mentioned that I don’t really care or concern myself with the Y’s or backstories. Same at the farmers market. MFs coulda grown all the fruit in a toilet for all I know 🤷🏽‍♂️

• @CapnWillie sorry I did not word my question properly and without my sarcasm hint. Sorry 😣. For what its worth I recently bought the MacBook Air, and its the best machine I have had in a long time, and I also have the M1 Pro iPad 😲.

• @onerez said:
    @CapnWillie sorry I did not word my question properly and without my sarcasm hint. Sorry 😣. For what its worth I recently bought the MacBook Air, and its the best machine I have had in a long time, and I also have the M1 Pro iPad 😲.

No apology necessary my friend. No offense taken at all just wanted to clarify that I wasn’t knowingly being shady.

Glad you’re enjoying the upgrade and they are great no doubt! Don’t mind my expectations or criticism. That’s the beauty of places like this and I’m grateful for everyone’s experiences.

Please believe I intend to enjoy, make the most of, and be abundantly grateful for what I have.

Seems like just yesterday my mom brought a big ol clunky Commodore 64 home. Today, we all have relatively super computers in the palm of our hands!😱

• edited January 12

@Bietfriek said:
    Recently upgraded my MacBook Pro mid 2013 to a MacBook Air M1 and couldn’t be happier. Way better performance and battery. It also made me purchase some desktop software like BitWig, Arturia, Valhalla, IK Multimedia, Softube and AudioThing’s/Hainbach Wires, Gong and Motor.

Love audio things! Haven’t gotten wires or gong yet. Check out Soundtoys bundle on Plug-in Boutique. It’s still on holiday sale!