Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Developers - We need a true sampler!

Developers, we really need a true sampler for the iOS platform! We need a sampler that has the development and build quality of quality apps like iSEM or Nave. It would be nice if it has great performance controls and uses a common format (SF2, SFZ, etc.) as well. iPADs now have the ability to store up to 128GB! A high quality, easy to use, good-looking sampler with disk-streaming capability would be SO useful!!!!

Someone please step up and develop one!

iOS sampler Poll
  1. Would you find a high-quality classic-style chromatic sampler useful?29 votes
    1. Absolutely!
      89.66%
    2. Not really...
      10.34%

Comments

• +1. I'm putting my money on Propellerheads as I have this gut feeling they have something in the works. It would be great to have Reasons NNXT sampler ported to ios. Fingers crossed;)

• Oh, that would be SO awesome!!!! Reason's NNXT sampler would be beyond perfect!!! Do you have any insider knowledge, or have you heard any rumors?

• NNXT would be "The One"

Stephen

• Sorry I may be missing the point but doesn't beatmaker 2 have a built in nnxt style chromatic sampler?

• +1

We also need the ability to route system audio, or audio that isn't only from instruments. There's a lot of sampler food to be had that doesn't just come from synths, drum machines etc.

• @audiojunkie, no I don't have insider knowledge. My gut feeling is based on the fact that Propellerheads is the kind of company that always tries to be refreshing and is looking for ways to make music making easy and enjoyable. Figure was a great start. Secondly, the fact that they haven't given Thor a lot of extra attention after its launch makes me wonder if it was some kind of pilot project to prepare for a more ambitious ios endeavour. Thirdly, Kalle Paulson, the guy in charge of the ios department of Propellerheads posted a tweet right before the start of 2014 that caught my interest:

https://mobile.twitter.com/kallepa/status/412307474390458368

Maybe it's wishful thinking. Nut If I'm right, my best guess would be that they are going to reveal something at the upcoming summer NAMM as they did with Figure two years ago. Please don't shoot me if I'm all wrong on this one. I'm just hoping for a big step up for ios music apps. The hardware is ready for it, now let the pro developers step up and deliver!

• @supadom said:

Sorry I may be missing the point but doesn't beatmaker 2 have a built in nnxt style chromatic sampler?

Yes, but BeatMaker 2 is also a bloated DAW. We need a specific app for a specific job. NNXT would be perfect! :-)

• @Maarten said:

@audiojunkie, no I don't have insider knowledge. My gut feeling is based on the fact that Propellerheads is the kind of company that always tries to be refreshing and is looking for ways to make music making easy and enjoyable. Figure was a great start. Secondly, the fact that they haven't given Thor a lot of extra attention after its launch makes me wonder if it was some kind of pilot project to prepare for a more ambitious ios endeavour. Thirdly, Kalle Paulson, the guy in charge of the ios department of Propellerheads posted a tweet right before the start of 2014 that caught my interest:

https://mobile.twitter.com/kallepa/status/412307474390458368

Maybe it's wishful thinking. Nut If I'm right, my best guess would be that they are going to reveal something at the upcoming summer NAMM as they did with Figure two years ago. Please don't shoot me if I'm all wrong on this one. I'm just hoping for a big step up for ios music apps. The hardware is ready for it, now let the pro developers step up and deliver!

This would be BEYOND cool! NNXT would be a dream! It has everything I would wish for and more! When does Summer NAMM get underway?

• Seems to me the BM2 team could make a grip of cash releasing their sampler as a stand alone app. And add multi-timbral capabilities as an IAP maybe.

• @syrupcore said:

Seems to me the BM2 team could make a grip of cash releasing their sampler as a stand alone app. And add multi-timbral capabilities as an IAP maybe.

It would be a very nice app if they separated it from the rest of the DAW. :-) I'd still prefer NNXT because it is an established app with lots of 3rd party support, but in the absence of NNXT, this would be really nice! :-)

• That's awesome!!! I'm going to have to remember that site!!! Thanks for making my day!!! :-)

• @Audiojunkie said:

@supadom said:

Sorry I may be missing the point but doesn't beatmaker 2 have a built in nnxt style chromatic sampler?

Yes, but BeatMaker 2 is also a bloated DAW. We need a specific app for a specific job. NNXT would be perfect! :-)

Didn't you say you have 128GB to spare?

• The BM2 sampler could also do with a UI overhaul. Setting up a layered and velocity switched multi-sample is tedious work.

I'm similarly getting frustrated with drum sequencers and setting up my own kit. Without using a PC. I have my samples in AudioShare. The only one that even approaches making the transfer easy is Caustic, which has a direct Import from AudioShare button (which I did not know was possible before this!), but the beatmaker only has 8 pads and to get 16 means the second 8 are on a different channel.

• edited June 2014

@Audiojunkie said:

That's awesome!!! I'm going to have to remember that site!!! Thanks for making my day!!! :-)

Gladly....it's a fun site, but could come across pretty sarcastically, but also could come across as good fun, which seems to be the way you took it and I meant it. Someone else recently used it (sorry that I can't remember....aging is getting old!), and that jogged my memory of it.

• It is a perfect reminder tool for this Father's Day business and the reminding people here in the house of what sort of electronic thoughtfulness might be in order etc.

• Good call!

• edited June 2014

+1 to everything. Samplers + flash memory = good times. Would Cubasis add an on-board sampler? The fewer apps running at once, the better, obviously.

• @supadom said:

@Audiojunkie said:

@supadom said:

Didn't you say you have 128GB to spare?

Nope. I said that iPads now how 128GB. :-) I currently have a 16GB iPad 2. I'm hoping to get an iPad Air2 next year. :-)

• @funjunkie27 said:

@Audiojunkie said:

That's awesome!!! I'm going to have to remember that site!!! Thanks for making my day!!! :-)

Gladly....it's a fun site, but could come across pretty sarcastically, but also could come across as good fun, which seems to be the way you took it and I meant it. Someone else recently used it (sorry that I can't remember....aging is getting old!), and that jogged my memory of it.

Oh yeah, when I saw that page (I'd never seen it before), I immediately thought of the future possibilities! Hahaha!!! :-)

• @DarbyA said:

+1 to everything. Samplers + flash memory = good times. Would Cubasis add an on-board sampler? The fewer apps running at once, the better, obviously.

It's on their to-do list. The big question is when....

• @Audiojunkie said:

@DarbyA said:

It's on their to-do list. The big question is when....

That's awesome news, I hadn't heard. Looks like the future is going to bring some great options. Hoping for the near future :)

• Thumbjam is the closest thing yet IMHO

• @supadom said:

There's still something between me and the (awesome Drum) sampler:Beatmaker

• Would really like something with the functionality of an S1000 or Kontakt, but with the option for multi-timbrality, maybe 8 instances.
    That would be awesome.
    It would also be wonderful if Steinberg added one as an internal instrument in Cubasis, or even Korg in Gadget.

• edited June 2014

@DaveMagoo said:

Thumbjam is the closest thing yet IMHO

I like Thumbjam in many ways, and don't like it in some ways. As far as play-ability, it is fantastic. Sounds are fantastic too. There are many options and features, which is nice. But, even though the crossfade bug is fixed and sounds good now, it is still convoluted in the area of creating multisampled patches. @Sonosaurus has said that the next update will focus on improving the UI for sample creation. If that happens, it will be nice, but as of now, it's kind of a mess. Also, I noticed a bug in sample management that causes an immediate crash if trying to delete a sample from the import sample menu. I'm watching with interest though, and hope one of these developers will create and release a true sampler for us. :-)

• Thanks for the bug report Audiojunkie!

• I figured you'd be monitoring for your name. :-) Can you let us know when we can expect the sampling improvements (your next update)?

• ...also, were you able to confirm the problem I mentioned?

• Along these same lines, it'd be very nice to have a soundfont editor/creator in iOS to be able to create our own sound fonts.