Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Digitakt midi in to usb?

Hi!
Hoping someone with a Digitakt can help me out.
I’ve been lent a Korg MS2000 which I’m trying to hook up to the iPad via midi. I don’t have an audio interface with midi so I’m using the Digitakt for that.
I plug the ms2000 via midi into the DT midi in. I can play the DT via the ms2000 keyboard, that’s fine.
But I want to be able to use it as a keyboard for iPad apps and also to send midi to it.
The DT is connected to the iPad via usb. If I play a note on the DT’s keyboard I receive it on the iPad. However the ms2000’s keys are not passed through to the usb midi output like I expected.

Basically it’s like this:
KORG keys midi out—> Digitakt midi in —> usb midi to iPad.

I tried all settings I could think of on the DT to no avail. The korg keys are not passed through to the usb.

Grateful for any help on this!.

Comments

• @tahiche said:
    Hi!
    Hoping someone with a Digitakt can help me out.
    I’ve been lent a Korg MS2000 which I’m trying to hook up to the iPad via midi. I don’t have an audio interface with midi so I’m using the Digitakt for that.
    I plug the ms2000 via midi into the DT midi in. I can play the DT via the ms2000 keyboard, that’s fine.
    But I want to be able to use it as a keyboard for iPad apps and also to send midi to it.
    The DT is connected to the iPad via usb. If I play a note on the DT’s keyboard I receive it on the iPad. However the ms2000’s keys are not passed through to the usb midi output like I expected.

Basically it’s like this:
    KORG keys midi out—> Digitakt midi in —> usb midi to iPad.

I tried all settings I could think of on the DT to no avail. The korg keys are not passed through to the usb.

Grateful for any help on this!.

I suspect this may not be possible. You already know about the peculiarities of 5-pin MIDI In, MIDI Out, and MIDI Thru. I think DT only sends MIDI Out over USB, so that can only be notes from the DT keyboard or sequencer. You need it to send MIDI Thru instead. If the Korg MS2000 does not have USB, you may need one of those MIDI/USB adapter cables.

• It's really worth it to get a pair of 5-pin MIDI Bluetooth dongles. Not only are they wireless but they'll work in addition to anything connected over USB.

• I sort of got it to work!.
    The DT sends the midi notes when it’s on a midi track (9-6). So i select, say, track 9. Set the midi out channel to channel 1 (or whatever). When I’m on the midi track anything I play on the ms2000 keyboard comes out through the DT usb midi, on the track selected. That doesn’t happen on tracks 1/8.
    So in this case it’s probably not midi-though but midi out, as that is the purpose of these tracks.

@rs2000 said:
    It's really worth it to get a pair of 5-pin MIDI Bluetooth dongles. Not only are they wireless but they'll work in addition to anything connected over USB.

Certainly. I’m guessing you always need a iPad or pc for these to work. Right?. Or maybe they have a little “pair button” of sorts to connect 2 of them.

• wimwim
    edited January 2022

Digitakt can do MIDI through over 5-Pin DIN only, not USB, except as you found above for midi tracks.

For 5-Pin DIN to USB, a little cheaper alternative than Bluetooth dongles, if you're wired up anyway...

FORE MIDI to USB Interface MIDI Cable Adapter with Input&Output Connecting with Keyboard/Synthesizer for Editing&Recording Track work with Windows/Mac OS for Studio USB 2.0 Color Blue - 6.5Ft
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SFCLNZ5/

I haven't used this exact brand (the one I have is no longer available) but in general these type of cables just work with no issues at all.

• @wim said:
    Digitakt can do MIDI through over 5-Pin DIN only, not USB, except as you found above for midi tracks.

For 5-Pin DIN to USB, a little cheaper alternative than Bluetooth dongles, if you're wired up anyway...

FORE MIDI to USB Interface MIDI Cable Adapter with Input&Output Connecting with Keyboard/Synthesizer for Editing&Recording Track work with Windows/Mac OS for Studio USB 2.0 Color Blue - 6.5Ft
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SFCLNZ5/

I haven't used this exact brand (the one I have is no longer available) but in general these type of cables just work with no issues at all.

I have one f these, iCoonectivity brand I believe, and I can’t get it to work with the iPad. It’s ancient, maybe 13 years old, so that might be why it won’t work.

• @tahiche The Roland UM-ONE mk2 USB to 5pin MIDI I/O definitely works via CCK3.

I’m guessing you always need a iPad or pc for these to work. Right?. Or maybe they have a little “pair button” of sorts to connect 2 of them.

Yes. Only the CME WIDI Master support interconnection between 2 pairs of dongles.