Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

- “Owls” - new instrumental song @joyce_road_studios

Here’s a little instrumental ditty I put together the other day. “Owls”. Makes me think of owls bopping their heads in rhythm…

Live guitar (Les Paul into Apogee Jam +)
Midi bass guitar
Midi drums

All recorded and arranged in GarageBand. Audio stems exported to Auria Pro.

Finished off and mixed down in Auria Pro with MixBox and FabFilter Pro-C, Pro-Q, Pro-MB.

Enjoy!

Comments

• Do tell... what Apps and FX are you using on the Guitar?

PS Do you have any opera performances lined up in the near future or is everything getting put on hold with Omicron?

• @JoyceRoadStudios ,
    Chord changes are superb!
    The flutter is used very cleverly.
    Great atmosphere!
    Bravo!
    Flo

• Really excellent, JRS!

Has a kinda Jeff Beckish feel to it — if Beck was still playing a Les Paul and added a whammy bar!

Sounds like you were using tools in either GarageBand or Auria to get the “whammy effect”

Whatever you used, it sounds epic!

• That was nice.

• @JoyceRoadStudios Loved that! More, please. Also curious about the whammy.

• Nice! With all your help on the THU thread, i wanted to hear some of your stuff and this is brilliant.

• edited January 2022

@Schmotown said:
    @JoyceRoadStudios Loved that! More, please. Also curious about the whammy.

@Schmotown @SNystrom @McD Thanks!! Regarding the whammy, it’s actually not a whammy at all. I used the Tape Cassette module from MixBox, and it was sitting on a parallel track that was puffing up the dry track. Clever? I don’t know… in the sections without the drums there’s yet another parallel track to the dry track, adding atmosphere (MixBox Petit Light). One of the reasons the track never gets truly washed out is that the dry track maintains through out and is prominent, so you get flutter and ambience sitting around it. The dry track already had some atmosphere, as I was using an ambient guitar tone.

I enjoy taking midi out of GarageBand for bass and drums and treating them like audio stems. Then everything gets finished in Auria Pro, as well as adding broad effects like tape flutter.

• @flo26 said:
    @JoyceRoadStudios ,
    Chord changes are superb!
    The flutter is used very cleverly.
    Great atmosphere!
    Bravo!
    Flo

Thanks Flo! Glad you like it!

• Sounds beautiful @JoyceRoadStudios! Great vibe and nice chords - reminds me a bit of 'Naima'.

• @JoyceRoadStudios sounds great! Nice playing…

And nice try though, but I’m still not buying Mixbox! I can get those effects elsewhere.

• @Edward_Alexander said:
    @JoyceRoadStudios sounds great! Nice playing…

And nice try though, but I’m still not buying Mixbox! I can get those effects elsewhere.

I used MixBox out of convenience and quick workflow, open, select preset, tweak, done. I could have used a million other apps for tape and atmosphere, for sure. But MixBox is the fastest and already has multi-module presets for any need on a send, bus, master, etc…

FabFilter apps are a must for me though. They are as surgical or as broad stroke as you want. ToneBoosters can do it, as well as a few other pro apps in combination. But I always reach for certain FabFilter presets as a start.