Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Well bought a new Mac Book M1 Air and Logic Pro….. now what. LOL

Comments

• The QuickSampler in Logic already feels like 'made for touch' and the GarageBand sampler even 'stole the style' from it :sunglasses:

Regardless I'd love to see the Logic Quick Sampler & DMD as an AUv3s.
    Sure they are not 100% perfect yet but it's better than anything we currently have with a super clear UI.

When dragging samples to the DMD (Drum Machine Designer) they automatically get assigned to QS and from QS it's easy to populate a DMD with samples. DMD would be a perfect addition to GarageBand and allow us to use our own samples for the pads and with the extended editing capabilities in QuickSampler it would be a real boon.

Oh well, it's still early and we don't know what 2022 will bring but if we get a proper QS and DMD in GarageBand with a few other additions I'll be a happy camper :sunglasses:

• Wow! Congrats Charlie! Good luck with the wife! lol

I’ve never owned an Apple/Mac myself; been a Microsoft guy since the early DOS days, but lately, being that I’ve bought into the iOS ecosystem with the iPhones and the iPads, I have been curious as to what a MacBook with Logic would bring to my music making table.

Here's what is making me hesitant; I own Ableton Live 10 on my Windows PC (and several other DAWS like Reaper, Cakewalk, etc), and I have tons of plugins and VSTs and such, even bought an Arturia V collection 5 a few years ago before I started getting into the iPad. All of that stuff on the PC just sits there unused! Every once in a while, I'll fire up Ableton and fiddle around with some synths and stuff, but for the most part ALL of my music making for the last couple of years has been on the iPad.

I feel like I have everything I need in iPadOS with AUM, Drambo, CB3, and now Loopy Pro, and curling up on the couch to make music or lounging out in the patio with my feet up is so much more comfortable; and I’ve found that if you’re comfortable, you make much better music! I think a major part of my problem is that my Windows PC, is also a huge gaming PC, so you kinda have to sit at the desk to use it.

So maybe something super thin, and super light, like a MacBook (air?) would be the answer. I think I’d at least be comfortable with it, curled up on the couch lol.

• @Edward_Alexander ... dude. same, but what I have discovered is a lot of the plugins I bought for windows I also have the Mac version!!! so yes its fun to just have this on my lap and jam with the old plugins.

• @echoopera said:
    I believe LoopyPro was pulled from the Mac App Store for the short term. Something about some stability issues or something.

Thanks I was loosing my mind !!!

• edited January 2022

I’ve been using Ableton on my Mac, plus the OP-Z for sequencing drums and other stuff.

Then I discovered I can use a Launchpad Pro to play notes and chords into the OP-Z, which plays the instruments in Ableton.

It works really, really well. I get the immediacy of the amazing OP-Z sequencer, the expressiveness of the LP, plus Ableton. And the latest 11 betas are M1-native.

EDIT: I’ve also been really getting into Loopy Pro and Drambo, but iOS just isn’t reliable enough.

• Hey guys.... I am really sorry to bring this up here, but I love you all...... so I downloaded reason rack just to check it out, and from what I can tell I have to run Logic in Rosetta to get it to run right. Is this a problem to run Logic in this mode? I should go on the Reason Forum, but wanted to check with you guys.... I am really loving Logic.....

• @onerez said:
    Hey guys.... I am really sorry to bring this up here, but I love you all...... so I downloaded reason rack just to check it out, and from what I can tell I have to run Logic in Rosetta to get it to run right. Is this a problem to run Logic in this mode? I should go on the Reason Forum, but wanted to check with you guys.... I am really loving Logic.....

My advice? Skip reason for now and learn logic…there’s so much content in logic that I have still never explored, and logic has been my main daw for over 3 years now. I mostly record and mix other musicians, so I don’t use many synths, samples, or loops, but there is so much of it. Heck, the full alchemy alone could probably do everything you’d need, You also have drum machines, the drummer plug-in, a physical modeling synth, a few virtual analog, etc, an fm synth, the sampler, guitar and bass amps and pedals, and on and on.

Now, for what that’s worth, I have plenty of other synths and plugins (and can barely play keyboard), so take my advice with that grain of salt!

• @mrufino1 said:

@onerez said:
    Hey guys.... I am really sorry to bring this up here, but I love you all...... so I downloaded reason rack just to check it out, and from what I can tell I have to run Logic in Rosetta to get it to run right. Is this a problem to run Logic in this mode? I should go on the Reason Forum, but wanted to check with you guys.... I am really loving Logic.....

My advice? Skip reason for now and learn logic…there’s so much content in logic that I have still never explored, and logic has been my main daw for over 3 years now. I mostly record and mix other musicians, so I don’t use many synths, samples, or loops, but there is so much of it. Heck, the full alchemy alone could probably do everything you’d need, You also have drum machines, the drummer plug-in, a physical modeling synth, a few virtual analog, etc, an fm synth, the sampler, guitar and bass amps and pedals, and on and on.

Now, for what that’s worth, I have plenty of other synths and plugins (and can barely play keyboard), so take my advice with that grain of salt!

Logic and Reason are so different, I wouldn't even try to compare them. While Logic is still my go-to toolbox for editing, fine tuning and finalizing songs, Reason has become my current favorite for sound design on a Windows tablet with touchscreen.
    It's not optimized for touch which shows in the arranger and still too many tiny controls but the more recent instruments work quite well with touch, and they complement the iOS music app world nicely with devices that I wish existed on iOS.
    It's a nice inspirational playground with the only downside that it relies on a subscription model if you want access to all the newer, exciting instruments.

• @mrufino1 @rs2000 thanks for the replies. I am just testing out reason as I love it as the rack plugin with in Logic. With all debates aside as we all know there many different ways of making tunes…. Or in my case endless 8 bar loops….😂. My question is IS it ok to run Logic in Rosetta mode so it supports reason?

• Your next step should be to buy Gong Amp and all the other Hainbach plugins haha.

You did exactly what I’m planning on doing. Between my iPad and my hardware synths, I’m set on music gear, I just want a MacBook (again) to fully take things to the next level.

• @onerez said:
    @mrufino1 @rs2000 thanks for the replies. I am just testing out reason as I love it as the rack plugin with in Logic. With all debates aside as we all know there many different ways of making tunes…. Or in my case endless 8 bar loops….😂. My question is IS it ok to run Logic in Rosetta mode so it supports reason?

Not an answer but somewhat related, note the setting for hyperthreaded audio rendering:
    https://forum.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=7524170

• @onerez said:
    @mrufino1 @rs2000 thanks for the replies. I am just testing out reason as I love it as the rack plugin with in Logic. With all debates aside as we all know there many different ways of making tunes…. Or in my case endless 8 bar loops….😂. My question is IS it ok to run Logic in Rosetta mode so it supports reason?

Yes, you can run it in Rosetta mode. I don’t have an M1, still on a 2012 mbp, so I haven’t experienced any of that yet.

@rs2000 I wasn’t comparing logic and reason as programs, just saying that since @onerez was looking to learn logic and there’s so much in it that maybe it’s better to learn what’s in there first. However, as I said, there’s plenty in logic that I dont know because it doesn’t factor into my music work or personal creation at all. Right now I’m using Logic because it is pretty efficient on my 2012 Mac. I tried studio one and begrudgingly, protools (which I need for teaching unfortunately) and they get hung up pretty quickly. I also use reaper, but I feel like Logic is just more complete overall. Reaper does amazing things though and I do use it for tracking things a lot, then import to logic to mix.

Anyway, you are correct, many ways to make music and they are all valid as long as they work for the person using it.

• edited January 2022

Duplicate post

• I personally won’t use any plug-in that requires you to run Logic in Rosetta. The non-native plugins I am using with Logic all work fine with Logic in native mode and I don’t trust any that don’t. So I am personally staying away from reason on my M1 MacBook Pro completely.

Apart from that — I have reason 11 suite and the whole reason+ thing leaves me cold. The upgrade to 12 isn’t worth £199 to me so I’m leaving it behind now — reluctantly. It's abundantly clear from their actions that Reason Studios don't want anybody using the non-subscription offering anymore. They followed up the best update to Reason in years with one of the worst. And doubled the upgrade price to boot.

I'll keep an open mind about Reason for now. Hopefully they'll offer a more compelling v13 that's universal. But I fear the writing is on the wall. Shame. I've been using Reason since the very beginning (I was on the Beta team for the initial release and still have the CDROMS they sent me for free for being a tester).

• @klownshed said:
    I personally won’t use any plug-in that requires you to run Logic in Rosetta. The non-native plugins I am using with Logic all work fine with Logic in native mode and I don’t trust any that don’t. So I am personally staying away from reason on my M1 MacBook Pro completely.

Apart from that — I have reason 11 suite and the whole reason+ thing leaves me cold. The upgrade to 12 isn’t worth £199 to me so I’m leaving it behind now — reluctantly. It's abundantly clear from their actions that Reason Studios don't want anybody using the non-subscription offering anymore. They followed up the best update to Reason in years with one of the worst. And doubled the upgrade price to boot.

I'll keep an open mind about Reason for now. Hopefully they'll offer a more compelling v13 that's universal. But I fear the writing is on the wall. Shame. I've been using Reason since the very beginning (I was on the Beta team for the initial release and still have the CDROMS they sent me for free for being a tester).

This is what I was thinking when I could not sleep…. First wont run native, second the subscription thing. I am not totally against the subscription model, but I was really only interested in the bassline generator. I think I will remove it here and continue learning Logic 😁

Thanks!!!

• Hey @klownshed, memories?

• @markk said:
    Hey @klownshed, memories?

No. That was Notator for the Atari. I had v1 (1.2 I think) of Emagic Notator Logic for mac in about 1993 I think. It came with a T-Shirt! And a dongle that only worked on pre-USB macs. I still have it somewhere. It looked like this:

• @echoopera said:

@onerez said:
    Just walked by the Apple Store and the money flew out my hands. Its been 9 years since I have had a MAC…. So this paired with my M1 iPad Pro I should have no more excuses!!!!!!
    Never have used Logic before so this should be fun.

Congrats. Be sure and grab the Logic Remote for the iPad. I found that it helps simplify things a ton in regards to the depth of Logic...and hey...it's really fun and cool to use as well.

Also, you can touch the Glass and do things with it on the shiny shiny iPad M1 which will impress your wife :)

"Look honey...I can control Logic on my new MacBook Air M1, all the way from over here on the sofa with my new iPad Pro M1..."

What could go wrong with this kind of thinking? :p

My wife would reply “That’s an expensive remote control then…”

• @gusgranite said:

@echoopera said:

@onerez said:
    Just walked by the Apple Store and the money flew out my hands. Its been 9 years since I have had a MAC…. So this paired with my M1 iPad Pro I should have no more excuses!!!!!!
    Never have used Logic before so this should be fun.

Congrats. Be sure and grab the Logic Remote for the iPad. I found that it helps simplify things a ton in regards to the depth of Logic...and hey...it's really fun and cool to use as well.

Also, you can touch the Glass and do things with it on the shiny shiny iPad M1 which will impress your wife :)

"Look honey...I can control Logic on my new MacBook Air M1, all the way from over here on the sofa with my new iPad Pro M1..."

What could go wrong with this kind of thinking? :p

My wife would reply “That’s an expensive remote control then…”

Smart wife 🤪

• ... and because we care about the wellbeing of our customers, we bring you iWife... the best wife we made to date. Runs native and on Rosé, but that’s not all... following careful analysis we are happy to announce its full backward compatibility... :)

• @onerez Hey, hope you're doing ok :D Found this thread as I'm thinking of converting from Reason to Logic (bought a Mac Mini M1 this summer). It' time to pay the subscription fee, later this month, for Reason which is almost equivalent to the price for full Logic, one time payment. Now, it's been a while since you did pretty much the same (not converting from Reason I think) so I'm curious to hear your thoughts on Logic now when you had some time with it?

• Coming from a Rack, Combinator mentality to Logic was like coming from Reason’s modular work flow to a more traditional, linear based DAW like Cubase. I have used Reason for almost twenty years so I know it quite well.

Now I think Logic is very intuitive and haven’t really needed the manual but Logic is amazing especially for the price. Yes the interface of some of the older devices can be jarring, visually…they still work even if they look ugly. Since some of those devices are twenty plus years old and haven’t received an update, well it is what it is. I like Logics clip mode but barely use it because I am currently in awe of Bitwig studio, amazing i like it more than Ableton. As far as devices go, Alchemy, Sculpture , the ES2, both Samplers, Drum Designer, are dope. Logic effects are also nice and I love their guitar and bass effects. I use them over
    Guitar Rig when I’m in Logic. Of course you have also have a massive sound library and loop library and Logics linear sequencer is more feature packed than Reason. Oh and Logic can score music…all for two Benjamins. Now, I rarely use Reason as a plug in so I have no opinion on that. But…when working in Logic I miss the Combinator and the Players the most.

Now Logic and the ipad with idam is the icing on the cake. My ipad is another instrument, sound generator and I love that. Logic remote also speeds up the mixing process and can control Logics devices also. So all in all, coming from Reason, do it. You can always open up Reason any time and just have fun with it. I view Reason as a modular play ground and rarely use external devices in it because theres just so much stuffed into Reason already.

• "Well bought a new Mac Book M1 Air and Logic Pro….. now what"

You pack the MacBook very carefully in a nice box and post it to me... :smiley:

Have fun with the new Mac.

• @Pynchon said:
    Honestly, coming from iOS, Logic was an absolute disappointment.
    Until I tried Ableton Live, and then Bitwig.

This Black Friday I bought a license of Bitwig, and wow, now I'm glued to my Mac creating music and experimenting, with the same degree of creativity and sense of wonder that I used to have with iOS and AUM.

But this perception will always change depending on your workflow.

Probably, for lineal editing, recording real instruments and producing in a classical way, doing something like rock music, Logic should be amazing. And I really miss Sculpture, even with its awful and esoteric interface.

But if you're into experimental music, sound design, live improvisations, looping, nothing can beat Bitwig. It's like Ableton Live merged with Drambo on steroids. And it perfectly integrates with and iPad and AUM via studiomux.

Man, I’m really curious about Bitwig. I went from Logic to iPad and never tried Ableton Live, but from what I’ve seen Bitwig looks amazing. I’d love to try it on a touch screen laptop.
    You mention Logic for linear editing… Is Bitwig not up for that job?.
    I’m covered and love the iPad for improvising, writing, etc… but final mixes and arranging is nowhere close to a desktop daw. Besides the obviously missing bussing, audio editing, transients… iOS daws haven’t “freed” themselves from desktop design. Slicing, duplicating, moving things around are just not optimized for touch. They’d need a whole new fresh look.
    Sorry, i sidetracked!. How’s Bitwig for linear editing/mixing/arranging to finish a song?.

• Bitwig is very capable for linear recording. It basically takes Lives Clip Arranger/Linear arranger setup. You can create an entire project in Bitwig. Since I’m a one man show in Bitwig, I haven’t multi tracked like 16 tracks at once in it so I can’t comment on that.

• I checked out Logic, Live, FL Studio, Bitwig and Reaper.

And then I settled for Reaper and Bitwig!

Logic was just too much like Garageband, which never was compatible with my brain.

• Logic is amazing for the money, and they keep making it better at no cost. If I had any self-discipline, I'd learn it properly, but I've always thought of it as my 'work' DAW. If someone is paying me for a bit of music, I do it in Logic, but I use the ipad (and, increasingly, hardware) for fun. However, I've started watching youtube tutorials for Logic recently, and I'm beginning to realise what I'm missing. For instance, there are hundred (thousands?) of built in loops. I never use them, but saw a video recently where someone chopped one up, dragged the audio into the channel strip, and was given the option of using it to create a new sampler instrument, or to use it in Alchemy (which, as ios musicians remember with some chagrin, is a wonderful synth).
    I've just bought a Nektar Impact LX61 board which maps to Logic, so I can now twist real knobs and push real faders in Logic. Now it's starting to feel like an instrument, which makes me happy. I'm having fun again.
    @SirMpc, you mentioned idam. Is that working well for you? Any good videos on setting up you'd recommend?

• No videos needed. Just plug in your ipad to your mac and go to the audio/midi settings and enable the ipad. Now select it as an audio input in your DAW of choice and your good to go. You can also route midi.

• @Pxlhg said:
    @onerez Hey, hope you're doing ok :D Found this thread as I'm thinking of converting from Reason to Logic (bought a Mac Mini M1 this summer). It' time to pay the subscription fee, later this month, for Reason which is almost equivalent to the price for full Logic, one time payment. Now, it's been a while since you did pretty much the same (not converting from Reason I think) so I'm curious to hear your thoughts on Logic now when you had some time with it?

so just this…. @Pxlhg I will never go back to iOS. Im sorry but Logic is flat out amazing for me. I use the reason rack plugin in there all the time so it’s the best of both worlds!!!! I actually just bought a 16 inch Mac Book Pro and finally got everything over to that. I love it. And there are sooooo many videos and tutorials on YouTube to help with Logic. It’s a beast and sooooooo Deep.

I regret nothing.
    This is the Way.