Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

For the experts in Midi Sequencers

ttkttk
edited December 2021 in General App Discussion

Hi,

I'm looking for a step sequencer that would have the following features:

• Ableton-Link tempo sync
  • outputs configurable Midi CC (instead of notes)
  • One-shot trigger (after receiving a midi cc ) to start a sequence just once
  • at least 5 midi cc output at the same time
  • OPTIONAL: midi cc value can ramp up or down from step A to step B

Thanks for your suggestions and for sharing your knowledge!

Comments

• Uff, I'm no expert, but cykle, Thesys, and Octachron can cover 1, 2, 4, and if I'm understanding you correctly, 5.
    3-Thesys' sequencer can be triggered by a MIDI note, with trigger mode set to toggle on/off with each key-press, or only play when a note is held. (It'll start from step 1 with each keypress).

The 3 above can run standalone and have Ableton Link, but they're also MIDI AUs, and when used as AU plugins, the AU host will sync to Ableton Link, and the hosted AUs will follow.

The Rozeta suite, Mozaic, and MIDI Tools are worth a look too, as you can combine them (and other MIDI AUs) in AUM's MIDI matrix to sequence-the-sequencers, etc.

There's also StepPolyArp Unit, though I don't have it. And there's a standalone step sequencer that looks very powerful, called Quantum, but I don't have it either. 🙂

• tjatja
    edited December 2021

When I hear "MIDI Sequencer", may brain selects the string "Xequence 2".
    I cannot comment on the points above, but may @SevenSystems can :smile:

• Or join the line.. maybe this update will…

Looking forward..

• edited December 2021

Oscilab is a great sequencer for CCs and can do 4 or 5 (don‘t remember...) per track.
    (but you can have many tracks) ;)

https://apps.apple.com/de/app/oscilab/id790213913

The midi part is a bit hidden at the very end of config options, but extremely versatile and easy to use.
    It only doesn‘t do the trigger part of your request, but that may not even matter in real world use. Worth checking out...

• miRack can do this and a lot more.

• Stepbud can do most of the required things. You can turn notes off and just trigger multiple lanes of CC independently. And you can trigger it to start playing with a cc.

I think it might actually do everything you want bar ramping between cc values?

• Stepbud

I think octachron mite fit the bill as well.

• wimwim
    edited December 2021

The only thing that bugs me about Step Bud is it continues to put out Note-Off messages for each step even if you disable sending notes. Other than that I really like it.

LK is outstanding for this kind of thing.

miRack has practically infinite possibilities for this. Lots of learning curve though.

• @tja said:
    When I hear "MIDI Sequencer", may brain selects the string "Xequence 2".
    I cannot comment on the points above, but may @SevenSystems can :smile:

Thanks for the mention 😊 Xequence will not cover 3) and only "half" cover 1), so maybe not the best option.

• @Telefunky said:
    Oscilab is a great sequencer for CCs and can do 4 or 5 (don‘t remember...) per track.
    (but you can have many tracks) ;)

https://apps.apple.com/de/app/oscilab/id790213913

The midi part is a bit hidden at the very end of config options, but extremely versatile and easy to use.
    It only doesn‘t do the trigger part of your request, but that may not even matter in real world use. Worth checking out...

Where can you send midi cc ?

• @klownshed said:
    Stepbud can do most of the required things. You can turn notes off and just trigger multiple lanes of CC independently. And you can trigger it to start playing with a cc.

I think it might actually do everything you want bar ramping between cc values?

@Poppadocrock said:
    Stepbud

I think octachron mite fit the bill as well.

How can you send midi cc with StepBud?

• @wim said:
    The only thing that bugs me about Step Bud is it continues to put out Note-Off messages for each step even if you disable sending notes. Other than that I really like it.

miRack has practically infinite possibilities for this. Lots of learning curve though.

How can you send midi cc with LK?

• wimwim
    edited January 2022

@ttk said:
    How can you send midi cc with StepBud?

Find the MIDI button along the bottom button bar. Scroll to the bottom and tap Add New MIDI CC. I usually turn off Sends Modulation, Sends pitch bend, and Sends portamento here while I'm at it. Once you add the CC's there will be buttons added for them at the right of the "Mode" buttons.

What I've never been able to figure out is how to turn off note output without also turning off CC's. People keep saying you can but I've never been successful.

• @ttk said:

@wim said:

When you're in the piano roll editor for a clip, there's an expandable section at the bottom for editing velocity, pitch bend, etc. There's a plus button at the bottom left. You can select any CC from the dropdown, then edit the CC automation there.

• edited January 2022

here someone sends midi cc from Oscilab to a bass synth over network, Oscilab start at 1.40 min
    track type must be midi, otherwise the assign panel doesn't show

• Are you sure youo can output midi cc?

• edited January 2022

I’m stepbud do as Wim says and you can add as many additional CCs to control as you like. Within reason.

It’ll look something like this when set up:

The “MIDI” button at the bottom is what you’re looking for to add the CCs you want to control.

• @wim , on StepBud, long press the number at the top of the step to get the mini menu. Select Edit. Press any notes that are Blue to turn them off. Press Done. The now note free step will show as diagonally shaded.

• @ttk said:

Are you sure youo can output midi cc?

Absolutely! It's excellent for that.

• @GeoTony said:
    @wim , on StepBud, long press the number at the top of the step to get the mini menu. Select Edit. Press any notes that are Blue to turn them off. Press Done. The now note free step will show as diagonally shaded.

Nice! Thanks. 👍🏼
    Kind of a pain to do for every step, but at least it works. It gets rid of the annoying orphan note-off's as well.

• edited January 2022

Drambo all day, all night, every breathing second :) It's even better than a DigiTakt or OctaTrack :) Shhh....don't tell anybody...

Ooops :p

• @ttk said:

Are you sure youo can output midi cc?

Yep. Afaik 16 different CCs per sequencer lane. And quantum can have 6 different sequencer lanes per project. That should be 16x6 = 96 different CCs.

• @wim said:

@ttk said:

@wim said:

When you're in the piano roll editor for a clip, there's an expandable section at the bottom for editing velocity, pitch bend, etc. There's a plus button at the bottom left. You can select any CC from the dropdown, then edit the CC automation there.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’m actually falling in love with LK.
    Do you know if it can run in split screen mode in ios14?

• wimwim
    edited January 2022

@ttk said:

@wim said:

@ttk said:

@wim said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I’m actually falling in love with LK.
    Do you know if it can run in split screen mode in ios14?

Sorry, can't test. I finally updated all devices to iOS 15. I'm curious why you'd want to run in split screen mode when it's an AU, though?

[edit] It doesn't run in split screen mode in iOS 15, so I'm sure it doesn't in iOS 14 either.

• @echoopera said:
    Drambo all day, all night, every breathing second :) It's even better than a DigiTakt or OctaTrack :) Shhh....don't tell anybody...

@echoopera : Has Drambo replaced Ableton Live for you?

• @Telstar5 said:

@echoopera said:

@echoopera : Has Drambo replaced Ableton Live for you?

Is that a “yes”? Wow!… Who’d a thought? I’m contemplating learning Ableton now.. Is Drambo
    really as capable ?