Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Renaming Bluetooth MIDI Devices

Assuming I have multiple bluetooth MIDI adapter connections, I need to determine which devices are connected behind the bluetooth MIDI adapter, can Audiobus enable this name assignment? They are using the same brand / model of bluetooth MIDI adapter. Most bluetooth MIDI adapters CANNOT be renamed under IOS/IOSpad. Hence, if Audiobus supported it, it is easier to tell the devices using renaming. It helps to read the Audio mixer connections.

Comments

• Renaming a BT MIDI adapter is usually done on the adapter itself, either by an accompanying app or by sending MIDI (sysex) messages.

• Can you provide example of the accompanying app that you are saying? MIDI (sysex) message are directly related to the MIDI devices. The Bluetooth MIDI adapter usually bypassing the MIDI (sysex) messages. I talked to the BLE MIDI adapter manufacturer that this cannot be renamed under IOS. Hence, I was thinking it is easier to rename it in the Audiobus app.

• edited December 2021

Have you tried?
    Yamaha: App
    Quicco: Sysex

• Hmm...I do have a Yamaha MD-BT01 but am not using it because the bluetooth version is older. I do not have Quicco bluetooth MIDI adapter. Let me check on the Yamaha one and WIDI master one.

• @danlsk said:
    Hmm...I do have a Yamaha MD-BT01 but am not using it because the bluetooth version is older. I do not have Quicco bluetooth MIDI adapter. Let me check on the Yamaha one and WIDI master one.

Search for "WIDI App" on the Appstore.
    Bluetooth version doesn't make a difference except if you have a very old iDevice that doesn't support BT MIDI.

• I have tried out 2 brands. Generally, they don't have rename capability. Hence, I asked Audiobus for this feature whether the native BLE MIDI adapter supports or not.

• I don't agree, all works here, even on the WIDI Master.
    If you want help then please give us more details about every component you're using.
    Also please try a Google search first.

• @danlsk said:
    I have tried out 2 brands. Generally, they don't have rename capability. Hence, I asked Audiobus for this feature whether the native BLE MIDI adapter supports or not.

Yamaha and CME do let you rename adapters.

• @rs2000 said:
    I don't agree, all works here, even on the WIDI Master.
    If you want help then please give us more details about every component you're using.
    Also please try a Google search first.

Thanks. The WIDI app can change the WIDI Uhost bluetooth name. I am using Doremidi BLE MIDI adapter and this one doesn't allow the name change. The manufacturer said it is not possible to change unless their factory set a unique name for each of them.

• Buy cheap, buy twice.
    That's my experience with low cost MIDI adapters as well.

• The digital pianos I have here are all USB type B MIDI port. The Doremidi was perhaps the first one with USB Type B midi to BLE MIDI adapter. Hence, there aren't much choices then. I got it before CME had their WIDI Uhost launched more recently. If you have other brands with USB Type B MIDI to BLE MIDI adapter, please let me know. I do check them out for performance comparison.

• I have the Yamaha UD-BT01 for that purpose but I'm not sure if it's still available.

• If I understand correctly, CME claims that iOS devices (and possibly others) change their ID frequently for privacy. So annotations in the central host may be ineffective.

Even after changing a name on the device, the troublesome cache needs to be cleared.

Apple's iOS and MacOS do not provide fixed original Bluetooth addresses to connect with your WIDI devices. For security reasons, Apple changes the Bluetooth address of its own devices and others every 15 minutes.

• @rs2000 said:
    I have the Yamaha UD-BT01 for that purpose but I'm not sure if it's still available.

It wasn't available in my country then and the BLE version is 4.0. The Doremidi came out with BLE version 5.0 MIDI slightly before CME WIDI Uhost.