Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The Truth About Vinyl

Comments

• Very interesting thanks for sharing this.

• Nyquist has a lesser known paper as well with a theorem and proof about how heavy records are and how much of a pain in the ass is to move them into new homes/studios because you can't part with them.

• edited December 2021

The video didn't mention about vinyl wear and scratches....

• edited December 2021

Paused at 5:20. Monty debunked the digital stair-step myth a while ago.

• Glad that this touched on the main actual difference - the mastering.

One of the things that I have always thought started the ‘vinyl is better’ thing is how much older material was released on CD in the early days of the format with lazy mastering.

I remember hearing Santana’s ‘Abraxas’ on CD in the mid 80s, and it sounded terrible. I’ve heard it on CD since then and the difference is night and day. Similar with other older albums once they’ve been correctly mastered for the format (and sometimes surpassing the quality of the original mastering for vinyl).

I’m sure there’s much less of this going on now, and frankly I don’t know if I could tell the difference between a digital and vinyl edition of a pice of music when both have been well mastered.

• @Todd_M said:
    Paused at 5:20. Monty debunked the digital stair-step myth a while ago.

Thanks. This was a fantastic video!

• @AlmostAnonymous said:
    Nyquist has a lesser known paper as well with a theorem and proof about how heavy records are and how much of a pain in the ass is to move them into new homes/studios because you can't part with them.

I feel this pain. Hope I never have to move again. Close to 2000 LPs in my collection and they aren’t the lightest thing to move.

• I just want to add a couple things that I think the video missed, as to why some people (like me) prefer vinyl records. Yes, it’s true about the nostalgia factor, vinyl records have a way of taking you back indeed, but they also have a larger canvas for the cover art, and the insert sleeves would many times would include lyrics (that you wouldn’t need a magnifying glass to read!) and sometimes have other goodies like photos, photo booklets and/or posters.

But as far as the sound goes, ONLY vinyl records produce the sense of movement that some believe is the binaural connection that we get the healing properties of music from. Tapes (R2R, 8 tracks, and cassette tapes) mimic this movement, because, yes, the tape is moving (and compact discs spin of course), but it’s not the same as a needle on a vinyl record.

Maybe it’s just a placebo effect, but to me, the only way to listen to (for example) Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon is on vinyl! There’s just something about the way that needle rides!

• wimwim
    edited December 2021

But as far as the sound goes, ONLY vinyl records produce the sense of movement that some believe is the binaural connection that we get the healing properties of music from. Tapes (R2R, 8 tracks, and cassette tapes) mimic this movement, because, yes, the tape is moving (and compact discs spin of course), but it’s not the same as a needle on a vinyl record.

Maybe it’s just a placebo effect, but to me, the only way to listen to (for example) Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon is on vinyl! There’s just something about the way that needle rides!

Yep, and music tuned to 432Hz resonates with the universe.

• edited December 2021

@wim said:

Yeah, I was waiting for him to talk about 48hz, but he didn’t.

• @LinearLineman said:

@wim said:

If you replace your stylus with a crystal of pink salt it gives all music healing properties.

• @LinearLineman said:

And he didn't mention that with vinyl the needle jumps when you pogo.

• wimwim
    edited December 2021

I dig swaying to a tastefully warped LP. That's something pretty to to emulate well digitally. I also find digitally reproduced dust particles and scratches somehow less than satisfying, but I realize that's probably just my imagination.

• Nobody ever opened up an MP3 file and found old seeds and stems in the crack.

• @wim, the digital scratches repeat in my experience. That’s the problem, not a long enough sample.

• Buying digital music is no fun at all

• @ruggedsmooth said:
    Buying digital music is no fun at all

So true. I could easily burn up a day in the record store in my teens. Then they put in a pinball arcade next to the record shop. When weed entered the picture, it really started to spiral out of control.

• I think we’re all agreed that vinyl is a much richer experience in so many ways. Listening to a superior sound seems to be the least of reasons to buy it.

• I'm the opposite, as a DJ I used to hate how long it took me to shop for vinyl. Waiting in line for a preview table to open up, having to drive an hour each way to the store that had good tunes, carrying two heavy-ass crates of records god know how far from my car to the venue, etc.

I vastly prefer digital for everything, including sound quality.

• edited December 2021

@Edward_Alexander said:
    Yes, it’s true about the nostalgia factor, vinyl records have a way of taking you back indeed, but they also have a larger canvas for the cover art, and the insert sleeves would many times would include lyrics (that you wouldn’t need a magnifying glass to read!) and sometimes have other goodies like photos, photo booklets and/or posters.

100%.

I bought the John & Yoko Wedding Album box set when it came out and it had several posters, a large book of photos, Lennon lithographs, photos from a "photo booth" machine, a copy of the wedding certificate, a white vinyl bag to practice Yoko's "bagism", and even a slice of wedding cake (virtual - a photo). Must have cost a fortune to make and assemble.

And then there's my Alice Cooper "Schools Out" LP in a cardboard school desk with fold down legs and lift up table lid with graffiti scratched inside. The disc came in a pair of ladies panties.

Or the original Sgt. Pepper with the cardboard folds outs. Or the newspaper inside "Thick As A Brick".

• The Iron Maiden album covers and sleeves were epic. Rush, Scorpions, and NIN too, and later their CDs came in those extra-thick CD cases, with big foldable booklets inside.

Does any record company offer artwork and liner notes on a website that customers of digital-music-files may download?

@michael_m said:
    Glad that this touched on the main actual difference - the mastering.

One of the things that I have always thought started the ‘vinyl is better’ thing is how much older material was released on CD in the early days of the format with lazy mastering.

I remember hearing Santana’s ‘Abraxas’ on CD in the mid 80s, and it sounded terrible. I’ve heard it on CD since then and the difference is night and day. Similar with other older albums once they’ve been correctly mastered for the format (and sometimes surpassing the quality of the original mastering for vinyl).

I’m sure there’s much less of this going on now, and frankly I don’t know if I could tell the difference between a digital and vinyl edition of a pice of music when both have been well mastered.

So true. Early CD-releases have been re-released with a 'REMASTERED' badge so so many times!
    The early Def Leppard CDs are a good example of subpar mastering. You can barely hear the vocals in some of them.

• I still need to test if digital will allow for making beats. Not great if regular vinyl wont allow. Which is actually the deck amps ( fault )

Then you also have more perks. That said. Just for scratching ( not beat cutting ) vinyl is slightly better.

• edited January 2022

@ocelot said:
    The Iron Maiden album covers and sleeves were epic. Rush, Scorpions, and NIN too, and later their CDs came in those extra-thick CD cases, with big foldable booklets inside.

Does any record company offer artwork and liner notes on a website that customers of digital-music-files may download?

I've put a couple of albums on bandcamp with full resolution back and front covers bundled in (as extra files, not just embedded in the mp3's).

The front covers are works of art in their own right (hand drawn illustrations) so deserve to be available as individual files the same as the music IMO.

People can then use them as they wish - Someone printed one cover onto a mug, which made me happy.

As well as a fan of vinyl artwork, I liked the period in the 90s where you could buy DJ mixes (on tape or CD).

So full length DJ mixes for each album are also bundled in.

I expect there are others similarly taking advantage of being able to add extra media. Would like to hear about it.

shameless self promotion ensues
    You can check out the albums here:
    Http://keepingtrack.bandcamp.com

They are name your price (and after paypal and bandcamp take their cut) it all goes to charity.

• The prices going for records right now is crazy though, the price of a 7” single is basically the cost a LP was.
    And most of the new stuff is not pressed the same quality, lots of half assed jobs these days at the pressing plants or with the mastering.