Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

So, I’m switching up my workflow in 2022, and I’m hoping to hear your thoughts on which DAW to use

Damnit, SEONN, why are you switching your apps?

My old workflow involved using the Ampify Apps, and Garageband. Namely,
1. Groovebox app - Ampify Groovebox, Reason Compact
2. Sampling/audio management - Blocs Wave
3. Loop based app - Ampify Launchpad,
4. DAW (for managing and finishing ideas) - Garageband.

Was one of the funnest workflow I’ve used, especially because Blocs Wave makes it easy to come up with ideas.

I then spent a lot of time on Garageband, using AUv3 plugins, and a combination of other applications. Special shoutout to TONALY as it was great for making quick chord progressions.

Now, I’m looking to take a lot of my favorite apps, and use them with a different DAW. I’ve bought a few DAWs over the past few years, namely
1. Beatmaker 3
2. Cubasis 2 (don’t have Cubasis 3)
3. Nanostudio 2
4. Zenbeats

I plan on spending 90 days on each of them, and hopefully make a few projects using them. I’ll still use Garageband, although on my phone. Plus, there’s still things I’d like to test on Garageband such as AUM, Koala (Auv3), Mixbus, Drambo.

My new workflow would be

1. Groovebox app - Gadget 2
  2. Sampling/audio management - Koala/Blocs Wave
  3. Loop based app - Remix Live (maybe Loopy Pro if I get the chance to look into it)
  4. DAW - unknown (one of the 4 apps)

">

link
So, back to the question…I’m switching my workflow to gain a better understanding of iOS apps, and to test a few applications. So, which DAW would you recommend I visit next, out of the 4 options?

DAW
  1. Which DAW would you recommend I look into first?62 votes
    1. Beatmaker 3
      27.42%
    2. Cubasis 2
      38.71%
    3. Nanostudio 2
      19.35%
    4. Zenbeats
      14.52%

Comments

• Zenbeats has the strongest development effort behind it but Roland will be seeking to
    sell you a never ending series of service options, loop content and apps.

• I voted Cubasis 2, but in reality I'd vote for Cubasis 3 had that been an option. 3 is universal between devices, features mixing busses, sidechain compression, effects reordering, etc. I forgot if the Waves plugin IAPs were in Cubasis 2 or not, but they are in 3, with that sweet master strip plugin.

NS2, despite being my favourite DAW, lacks audio tracks for mixing stems, so that's out. I don't even know how to wrap my head around Zenbeats (or maybe I am a bit thick lol), but perhaps it can work for you. BM3 crashes more than the US stock market during a global crisis, so I personally wouldn't recommend it.

I'm glad Gadget 2 is part of your new workflow. :) Cheers.

• @McD said:
    Zenbeats has the strongest development effort behind it but Roland will be seeking to
    sell you a never ending series of service options, loop content and apps.

Strongest development effort is a plus. :)

• edited December 2021

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    BM3 crashes more than the US stock market during a global crisis, so I personally wouldn't recommend it.

Still? What device are you on? When was the last time you used it?

• @AudioGus said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    BM3 crashes more than the US stock market during a global crisis, so I personally wouldn't recommend it.

iPad Mini 5 currently. The last I tried BM3 was a couple years ago. You mean it's stable now?

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@AudioGus said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

iPad Mini 5 currently. The last I tried BM3 was a couple years ago. You mean it's stable now?

Oh yah it is way more stable now. The last two updates over the past year really helped. Lower end devices may have troubles but I imagine Mini 5 should be well in the safe zone now.

• edited December 2021

Honestly I’d look in to LoopyPro and Drambo for all my musical creation needs.

But that’s just me 😉

Good luck on the journey. It’s a great thing to discover your process.

For your DAW I’d select Cubasis3 and not 2, since they have the best tools for the mastering job.

• I voted BM3. It's pretty darn stable on my ancient iPad Air 2, iPadOS15.2...
    ...I mostly use it to sample AUv3's to save CPU and I don't really push the CPU with loads of plug-ins.

Next year I plan to keep things 'super simple' and focus mostly on using Drambo...
    ...and continue cleaning out apps (down to 257 apps in total now).

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    … BM3 crashes more than the US stock market during a global crisis, so I personally wouldn't recommend it.

I don’t find BM3 crashy, fwiw.

• My current workflow is BM3, Korg Electribe Wave,
    Bleass SampleWiz ii and Cubasis 3 to bring it all together.

I'm also putting together a live composition template
    using LK, Drambo, BeatHawk and Korg module.

• Interesting. Cubasis 2 seems to be at the lead, with Beatmaker 3 being closely behind.

@McD - Agreed on the Zenbeats thing. I’m thankful Stagelight was able to evolve into Zenbeats and are pushing the updates. It would be interesting to test exporting a project from an iPhone to an Android, especially with AUv3 in play. I did like the synth engine in Zenbeats.

@jwmmakerofmusic Yeah, Cubasis 3 would have been an easy decision for everyone since it’s newer and has a lot of constant updates. Plus being on iOS mobile is such a powerful feature that it would be the ultimate DAW. Which is why I went with 2.

That, and I’m cheap lol. Bought Cubasis 2 with the addons and I want to get familiar with the system, while giving others who have Cubasis 2 a chance to see it in action.

@AudioGus Good to know. Had some less than stellar experiences with Beatmaker 3 in 2018, so I’m glad to hear the performances improve.

@echoopera Yeah, the Modular workflow would be the best. I’ll probably do a full video on Loopy Pro, Drambo, and Koala eventually but with the constant updates (which is a great thing because there’s always something to talk about), it will be interesting to fit information while showing to in action.

@Samu - Didn’t know you used Beatmaker 3. I would have thought you’d use Koala and Cubasis 3.
    Yeah, the dreaded app cleanup. Most of my music apps are effects, then synths, then MIDI. I do have the DAWs listed above installed but it’ll take a while to look through them all. Doubt I’d even get to all 😂

@Gravitas Thats awesome. I’m guessing Beatmaker 3 is where you start the ideas. Do you use the Novation Launchpad to trigger the pads on Beatmaker 3, or do you prefer the iPad screen?

Interesting choice using LK with Drambo. Was it also because of Launchpad support?

• @seonnthaproducer said:

@Samu - Didn’t know you used Beatmaker 3. I would have thought you’d use Koala and Cubasis 3.
    Yeah, the dreaded app cleanup. Most of my music apps are effects, then synths, then MIDI. I do have the DAWs listed above installed but it’ll take a while to look through them all. Doubt I’d even get to all 😂

Well, I just love sampling and there's really no better somewhat fully featured option available at the moment :sunglasses:
    Koala is good for drums/loops/fx and SampleWiz 2 for single sample instrument/synth sounds.

I would use Cubasis 3 more but it's sampling capabilities are lackluster, this could change if/when Steinberg decides to bless Cubasis 3 with the Cubase Sampler Track. As a DAW it's ahead of the others by a wide margin.

Loopy Pro should 'evolve' nicely when it gets editable midi-clips and automation etc.

Even though ZenBeats appears to be 'free' it requires a platform unlock to allow AUv3 support etc.
    (That is unless you manage to convince Roland to give to a cloud subscription for free for the sake of content creation).

In order to use audio in NS2 you need to load the audio-clips into either slate (drum sampler) or obsidian and sequence them.

My reasoning behind my 'app trinity'(BM3, Gadget & Cubasis) is that each of them have their strengths (Gadget as 'Loop Creation/Instrument Source/Sampler Fodder', BM3 as 'Sampling Workstation', Cubasis 3 as a 'Traditional Daw').

Both BM3 and Gadget 2 have good stem-export options so getting the audio over to Cubasis is pretty seamless.
    (Both apps support Files.app so the Gadget 'iTunes' export is in reality the same as saving the files in the Gadget folder).

For 'batch transfer' between the apps I suggest using the Files.app to move the files from one app to another as the 'Import/export' procedures in the respective apps tend to take more time.

Even though I have Cubasis 3 and NS2 on my iPhone 8 I tend to use GarageBand on it, it's less 'fiddly' than the others.

Looking forward to following your workflow journey!
    (One of the reasons I clean out apps is to help me focus with questionable success-rate).

• @seonnthaproducer said:

@Gravitas Thats awesome. I’m guessing Beatmaker 3 is where you start the ideas. Do you use the Novation Launchpad to trigger the pads on Beatmaker 3, or do you prefer the iPad screen?

Interestingly enough I'm currently starting off the grooves in Electribe wave.
    I'm liking the old school drum machine flavour of it.
    I much prefer using the LP to trigger BM3 rather than the touch screen.

Interesting choice using LK with Drambo. Was it also because of Launchpad support?

No, it wasn't because of the Launchpad support actually.
    I'm putting together a compositional template in AUM
    specifically using LK and Drambo for sequencing,
    pattern switching with additional extras and Mozaic
    for the orchestral instrument ranges.
    Wim put together a tool that is perfect for traditional
    composing without having to read music.
    Here it is on patchstorage.com

https://patchstorage.com/orchestral-instruments-range-limiter/

Basically the user selects the instrument in Mozaic and
    the instrument range remains faithful to the real instrument.

• I voted Cubasis. Because it’s the least likely tool to waste your time with learning curve on something that you will later abandon completely.

• I would say… AUM first, C3 second, and C2 third. But that’s me. I typically wait for a sale on the higher priced apps. Workflow is 100% a personal preference, or better yet a combination of several personal preferences. Lol.

For me, my workflow on iOS finally clicked when I felt creative, experimental, focused, but also comfortable (as in easy to work with, easy to understand, not overly confusing), and fun. You also want to make sure it handles all the things you want to do. Audio, midi, cc, pc, routings, IAA, busses, automation, mixing, etc… you’re never going to like something that doesn’t let you do everything you need/want to do. It’s not always an easy task, but it is definitely to each their own type deal.

Good luck man.

• wimwim
    edited December 2021

@Gravitas said:
    My current workflow is BM3, Korg Electribe Wave,

Do you use Electribe Wave as an AUv3 in BM3 or do you use it separately as a standalone?
    [edit - nvm, I see from a later post you're using it standalone.]

I can't deal with Electribe Wave as an AUv3 in BM3 since it has no built-in preset browser and BM3 doesn't provide one.

• @wim said:

@Gravitas said:
    My current workflow is BM3, Korg Electribe Wave,

Do you use Electribe Wave as an AUv3 in BM3 or do you use it separately as a standalone?
    [edit - nvm, I see from a later post you're using it standalone.]

I can't deal with Electribe Wave as an AUv3 in BM3 since it has no built-in preset browser and BM3 doesn't provide one.

Agreed there is room for improvement.
    Being able to load up our own wavetables and samples
    and the drum section would be more than nice as an auv3,
    luckily it works as an IAA in AUM.

All in all though I'm very happy with it.

• edited December 2021

If you can go without audio stems, NS2 allows for very fast and efficient work. I’m all about efficiency over features personally. And one major plus people seem to forget about is the amazing flexible mixer routing (that has basically spoiled me) and ridiculously good cpu optimization. I like to know I can layer layer tracks and fx until my heart’s content and not worry about DSP crap. There’s my 2 cents

• I would say BM3. Last time I tried it, it worked really well. I can't get a single session done in cubasis 3 without it crashing. It saves but is quite annoying. Was using it this morning. Started something in AUM, and exported stems and had to keep reloading koala because the plugin window would go blank after freezing the track. Then after I closed AUM Cubasis audio engine crashed. Then after I got everything layed out, tried to go to the mixer and the whole program crashed. So I put it away. Back to Ableton and HW. The iOS thing only seems to work to get ideas started for me. Too many hoops.

Koala seems to be the best thing to happen to the platform. Loopy Pro is quite fun, haven't really dug in yet though. Hoping it proves more stable than the rest of the bunch.

• Yep same here. Too bad it never got the audio tracks it was suppose to. The obsidian synth is quite capable.

@db909 said:
    If you can go without audio stems, NS2 allows for very fast and efficient work. I’m all about efficiency over features personally. And one major plus people seem to forget about is the amazing flexible mixer routing (that has basically spoiled me) and ridiculously good cpu optimization. I like to know I can layer layer tracks and fx until my heart’s content and not worry about DSP crap. There’s my 2 cents

• Of those, Zenbeats has got to be the most fun, and it supports a couple different workflows, including an Ableton-like one that is unique in iOS. If you've already invested in Zenbeats then you don't need to worry about hidden costs. Pay $30/year and get everything for free.

However, I strongly suggest you check out Loopy Pro. It is now a competitive DAW as well as a superior looper.

• @mojozart said:
    Of those, Zenbeats has got to be the most fun, and it supports a couple different workflows, including an Ableton-like one that is unique in iOS. If you've already invested in Zenbeats then you don't need to worry about hidden costs. Pay $30/year and get everything for free.

However, I strongly suggest you check out Loopy Pro. It is now a competitive DAW as well as a superior looper.

Loopy Pro is an amazing app and it seems likely to eventually be a serious DAW, but I don’t think I’d consider it a DAW replacement yet.

• edited December 2021

@db909 said:

For making stuff all on iOS (with no heavy sampling) I would say NS2 is amazing and the place where I have probably made my best stuff on iOS. I do love the mixer routing, the overall flow and ability to zip around so fast and smooth. Sigh. Now that we have these beast M1 pro iPads can someone please just make a BM3/NS2/Cubasis hybrid?

• @AudioGus said:

@db909 said:

For making stuff all on iOS (with no heavy sampling) I would say NS2 is amazing and the place where I have probably made my best stuff on iOS. I do love the mixer routing, the overall flow and ability to zip around so fast and smooth. Sigh. Now that we have these beast M1 pro iPads can someone please just make a BM3/NS2/Cubasis hybrid?

Or at least port Logic over, lol.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@AudioGus said:

@db909 said:

Logic doesn't look very touch friendly to me though.

• Beatmaker 3 is probably the best option. I've been using it as my main DAW (outside of post production) for over 4 years and it has one of the best workflows in my opinion. Using the scenes mode I can get my ideas out quickly. The sampler is one of the best on iOS hands down and combine that with AUv3 effects and instruments and its complete. I'll say audio editing isn't its strong suit but I find it to still be the best DAW on iOS for creating music. Cubasis 3 is cool but it crashes a lot when doing nothing at all and its so frustrating. NS2 is cool but no sampler killed it for me.

Slightly off topic but I'd love if we had an app that was similar to Logic as far as features go. Something great for creating and mixing thats stable with keyboard and mouse support. There isn't one DAW on iOS thats nearly as good as what we have on desktop and I feel like thats the one thing thats missing in our ecosystem. We have great alternatives or apps to go alongside the desktop stuff but nothing that is as feature filled or stable like it. Just my 2 cents

• @AudioGus said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@AudioGus said:

@db909 said:

Logic doesn't look very touch friendly to me though.

Are you sure that the same company that revolutionised touchscreen technology to produce the iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, Apple Watch, etc can't adapt their flagship DAW to a touchscreen environment? (The real trick however is to make Apple still give a shit about musicians that use iPads to produce music, which seems next to impossible, lol.)

• I find Zenbeats to be most fun and productive daw. Some strong points not found in other daws:

• Great drum sequencer and integrated drum sampler
    • Clip/loop and timeline views
    • You can listen to loops and sounds in context, at the current bpm. This is invaluable when you’re looking for sounds or loops.
      The integrated drum sequencer and sampler plus the clip view looper make it really fast to get ideas going. I don’t have a subscription, just paid the whatever unlock to get all features for Zenbeats on iOS as I don’t use it on desktop.
      That said, I’m obsessed with Loopy Pro at the moment, a different mindset and extremely fun to use.
  • edited December 2021

@paradiddle said:
    Yep same here. Too bad it never got the audio tracks it was suppose to. The obsidian synth is quite capable.

@db909 said:

In fact I find audio stems inside NS2 Slate quite handy, just a different way to record and handle audio but also more flexible in some way.
    +1 for NS2 if you like the somewhat MPC style sampling.

I'd say that the key to success is to use and make music with what's available inside NS2 instead of comparing it to other DAWs.

Drambo is an interesting alternative as it's a huge playground for sound and advanced synthesis experiments. In contrast to other DAWs, my typical workflow is more like first diving into the alchemist sound lab, mix unknown liquids together, heat them up if they didn't explode before and be surprised by new sonic colors, vapors and smells. These surprises can spark new musical ideas and often, the songs are just a result of layering such ideas inspired by sound.

• edited December 2021

Very interesting. Thanks @Gravitas

@db909 Honestly, I think I can overcome the limitation of NanoStudio 2 with Koala and Gadget 2. Plus, slate allows audio to be recorded. One thing I did like about Nanostudio2 was how small the projects were when I exported MIDI projects.

@paradiddle Yeah, Obsidian is insane. It’s part of the reason why I wish Nanostudio 2 was higher on the voting list. I’ll still get to it though.

@mojozart Yeah, Zenbeats was the closest to the live loops workflow that I did in Garageband. I picked up version 1 when it was free last year, but haven’t got the latest updates. Would be interesting to see the differences. I remember liking the synth engine when I tested it on my Android phone but I got distracted by Koala on Android.

@YZJustDatGuy I do like the MPC workflow of Beatmaker 3. I sorta feel that Koala is invading a lot of use cases that I would have used Beatmaker 3 for. That said, having 128 banks per A, B, C, D, etc does allow for some insane potential.

@jwmmakerofmusic I’m hoping they port Logic to the iPad. Considering my new Mac and iPad are running the same M1 chip, I don’t think it would be impossible. Plus, Logic Remote, and Garageband works on the iPad and are designed with touch in mind. They may have to find some creative way to manage some of the UI components, but I feel it’s very much doable.

@tahiche Nice, another vote for Zenbeats.

Great point about Nanostudio 2, and Drambo @rs2000

Okay, so I’ll add 2 apps to my new workflow…well 3

1. Groovebox - Gadget 2, Drambo
    2. Sample Management - Koala, Blocs Wave
    3. Live Looping Performance - Remix live, Loopy Pro
    4. DAW - Still unknown…but AUM to combine apps together.