Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

PUBLIC BETA - Transient Shaper

You can now take part in the @Blue_Mangoo Transient Shaper public beta.

Please leave your comments, bug reports and suggestions here.

https://testflight.apple.com/join/KjBPUzRu

Comments

• Thanks for the headsup

• @AliAhmet said:
    You can now take part in the @Blue_Mangoo Transient Shaper public beta.

Please leave your comments, bug reports and suggestions here.

https://testflight.apple.com/join/KjBPUzRu

Thank you!

• Thanks
    Will take it for a test drive

• Really liking this so far. Couple of questions/thoughts:

1. The output limiter seems to engage pretty quick, ~-3db or so. Any reason for the low threshold?
    2. I love simple interfaces but I always feel transient shapers (not just this one but actually most) miss some vital controls for more extreme sound-design applications. Specifically I think a threshold control would be very useful and also a hold time parameter possibly In some cases you can just back off the gain on the way in to work as a threshold controls but it seems this one has a fixed threshold, regardless of input gain.

Overall, really like this already. Still to try out FAC transient and have been meaning to do so for a while but I think this will take my attention for a while.

Big thanks to @Blue_Mangoo for having an open beta so we can test the app, it’s an easy way to get people hooked on good gear ⚙️

• @ronnieb said:
    Really liking this so far. Couple of questions/thoughts:

1. The output limiter seems to engage pretty quick, ~-3db or so. Any reason for the low threshold?

The limiter is designed to keep the output strictly below 0db. We didn’t want to make it so brick-wall that it sounds unnatural. With the current settings for attack and release time, we usually set that limiter to start kicking in (with soft knee) at -1.5 db. But when we set the attack up high on this plugin we found that the limiter still wasn’t completely keeping the output below 0dB so we pushed the threshold down to -2.5db.

At this beta testing stage we are very open to suggestions about how the limiter should be configured. Let us know if you have suggestions about how it should be changed.

1. I love simple interfaces but I always feel transient shapers (not just this one but actually most) miss some vital controls for more extreme sound-design applications. Specifically I think a threshold control would be very useful and also a hold time parameter possibly In some cases you can just back off the gain on the way in to work as a threshold controls but it seems this one has a fixed threshold, regardless of input gain.

Is the threshold control for the limiter or is it something else?

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@ronnieb said:

The limiter is designed to keep the output strictly below 0db. We didn’t want to make it so brick-wall that it sounds unnatural. With the current settings for attack and release time, we usually set that limiter to start kicking in (with soft knee) at -1.5 db. But when we set the attack up high on this plugin we found that the limiter still wasn’t completely keeping the output below 0dB so we pushed the threshold down to -2.5db.

At this beta testing stage we are very open to suggestions about how the limiter should be configured. Let us know if you have suggestions about how it should be changed.

Yeah I had some what assumed it was to keep it more transparent. Definitely wasn’t a complaint, it’s works really well to keep things in check.

Might be interesting to have a brickwall limiter as an option though? It can actually be a pretty cool effect to boost the attack and small into a brickwall(/soft clipper?). It’s somehow like a crude way to add a bit of hold to the transients if you’re really cutting into the source material.

1. I love simple interfaces but I always feel transient shapers (not just this one but actually most) miss some vital controls for more extreme sound-design applications. Specifically I think a threshold control would be very useful and also a hold time parameter possibly In some cases you can just back off the gain on the way in to work as a threshold controls but it seems this one has a fixed threshold, regardless of input gain.

Haha sorry yeah that wasn’t clear at all. I was actually talking about the transient detection threshold and the ability to set a hold period of the envelope to give you the possibility of increasing the length of the attack section. If that makes sense? An alternative would be a like a return control on a noise gate, where you set the threshold of when the gate will engage again.

For the record though, I get the idea of not wanting to add any more controls, you add one and then all of a sudden it makes sense to add 3 more and it looses the super quick easy to use interface.
    Hardest job of a dev has to be deciding what to leave out!?

• Love public betas!

Now we already have a very good transient shaper on iOS so my first question is always ‘why would I choose this one over that?’

Maybe in this case it is the simplicity. Just two dials. Maybe it gets to the results faster.

Will have a play. 👍

• Brilliant 🤟

• Ooh a Transient Shaper. Attack Softener became an unexpected gem of an application for me. Looking forward to seeing how this app progresses.

Nice, it also keeps the simple, minimalistic design.

• I know @seonnthaproducer same here.

Thanks @AliAhmet for sharing.

• @ronnieb said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@ronnieb said:

Yeah I had some what assumed it was to keep it more transparent. Definitely wasn’t a complaint, it’s works really well to keep things in check.

Might be interesting to have a brickwall limiter as an option though? It can actually be a pretty cool effect to boost the attack and small into a brickwall(/soft clipper?). It’s somehow like a crude way to add a bit of hold to the transients if you’re really cutting into the source material.

Haha sorry yeah that wasn’t clear at all. I was actually talking about the transient detection threshold and the ability to set a hold period of the envelope to give you the possibility of increasing the length of the attack section. If that makes sense? An alternative would be a like a return control on a noise gate, where you set the threshold of when the gate will engage again.

For the record though, I get the idea of not wanting to add any more controls, you add one and then all of a sudden it makes sense to add 3 more and it looses the super quick easy to use interface.
    Hardest job of a dev has to be deciding what to leave out!?

I haven’t seen a threshold control like that on a transient shaper before. Are there others you like to use that have that feature or is it a new idea that you are wanting to see?

• @gusgranite said:
    Love public betas!

Now we already have a very good transient shaper on iOS so my first question is always ‘why would I choose this one over that?’

Maybe in this case it is the simplicity. Just two dials. Maybe it gets to the results faster.

Will have a play. 👍

We tested and compared extensively with FAC Transient because we didn’t want to release something that was less capable than what’s already on the App Store. Honestly, if you own FAC transient and you are happy with it, then you don’t need to buy ours. The only thing ours does that FAC doesn’t is that when you turn the attack control all the way down, ours comes down really hard like the attack softener and gives you a truly soft attack. In comparison with FAC Transient, we aren’t expecting that existing FAC users will buy our transient shaper as a second option (unless they need the soft attack feature). Rather, we think new users might prefer ours because it’s easy to use. It does a similar thing with less controls.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@gusgranite said:
    Love public betas!

Will have a play. 👍

We tested and compared extensively with FAC Transient because we didn’t want to release something that was less capable than what’s already on the App Store. Honestly, if you own FAC transient and you are happy with it, then you don’t need to buy ours. The only thing ours does that FAC doesn’t is that when you turn the attack control all the way down, ours comes down really hard like the attack softener and gives you a truly soft attack. In comparison with FAC Transient, we aren’t expecting that existing FAC users will buy our transient shaper as a second option (unless they need the soft attack feature). Rather, we think new users might prefer ours because it’s easy to use. It does a similar thing with less controls.

I like your open approach.

Have you thought about combining this transient shaper with your multiband app? I love being able to shape the lows separate to the highs. And it would make it unique on iOS.

• @gusgranite said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@gusgranite said:
    Love public betas!

Will have a play. 👍

Have you thought about combining this transient shaper with your multiband app? I love being able to shape the lows separate to the highs. And it would make it unique on iOS.

That’s a good idea. We won’t make this one multiband because that would mean totally redesigning the UI. But it would make sense to design a new one that has multiband functionality.

• I wish there were a way to compensate for latency when applying a transient shaper to exact drums/percussion.

• @musikeer said:
    I wish there were a way to compensate for latency when applying a transient shaper to exact drums/percussion.

I guess that is on the host to have plugin latency compensation?

• edited December 2021

@musikeer said:
    I wish there were a way to compensate for latency when applying a transient shaper to exact drums/percussion.

are you having a problem with latency on this plugin? I have posted a note to the lead developer to make sure it is correctly reporting the latency. I think it’s 30 samples of latency for 48khz sample rate.

• Please include a wet/dry control

• If this also works on the Mac M1 like Attack Softener does then that would also be a selling point for me as I could then use it in cross-platform projects.

• @MisplacedDevelopment said:
    If this also works on the Mac M1 like Attack Softener does then that would also be a selling point for me as I could then use it in cross-platform projects.

I don’t own a Mac M1 yet. I didn’t know that attack softener works on it. If so then this one should also work. I plan to get a new Mac in the next few months. At that time I will test and fix if necessary.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@gusgranite said:
    Love public betas!

Will have a play. 👍

I sincerely applaud you for this honest take. You have immediately made your apps more interesting for me. 👍

• edited December 2021

@gusgranite said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@gusgranite said:
    Love public betas!

Will have a play. 👍

This is a great idea 💡 Cases where you’d like to reduce the “boominess” of the lows reducing the sustain but keep the higher stuff intact.
    Here’s an idea that wouldn’t over-complicate the interface. Just 2 extra knobs for low/high bandpass so you could target/filter what you want to affect. If left untouched it’d act just like now. Then you could also chain instances of the plugin to affect diff frequencies while keeping it simple. And FAC doesn’t have that… that’d be quick way to for example give more snap to the kick drum, or tame boominess on a synth arpeggio…

• @tahiche said:

@gusgranite said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@gusgranite said:
    Love public betas!

Will have a play. 👍

This is a great idea 💡 Cases where you’d like to reduce the “boominess” of the lows reducing the sustain but keep the higher stuff intact.
    Here’s an idea that wouldn’t over-complicate the interface. Just 2 extra knobs for low/high bandpass so you could target/filter what you want to affect. If left untouched it’d act just like now. Then you could also chain instances of the plugin to affect diff frequencies while keeping it simple. And FAC doesn’t have that… that’d be quick way to for example give more snap to the kick drum, or tame boominess on a synth arpeggio…

This will also need the precious wet/dry knob

• edited December 2021

@tahiche You might want to build upon this one:
    https://patchstorage.com/transient-shaper-v2/
    Let's make it a joint effort 😉

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@musikeer said:

are you having a problem with latency on this plugin? I have posted a note to the lead developer to make sure it is correctly reporting the latency. I think it’s 30 samples of latency for 48khz sample rate.

Please see my private message, thanks…

• @gusgranite said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@gusgranite said:
    Love public betas!

Will have a play. 👍

Think I saw an upcoming EQ plug-in on here recently that talked about separating the transient control of each band. Perhaps this could also be a simple alternative approach to some of those use cases. I’d be interested its use in creative shaping

• @Cyndilov said:

@gusgranite said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@gusgranite said:
    Love public betas!

Will have a play. 👍

Think I saw an upcoming EQ plug-in on here recently that talked about separating the transient control of each band. Perhaps this could also be a simple alternative approach to some of those use cases. I’d be interested its use in creative shaping

I think you are referring to the Split EQ from Eventide. That’s a pretty big jump from this transient shaper though.