Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MIDI Tape Recorder released! (sample accurate, MPE, free and open source)

Comments

• @GeertBevin Thank you for a great performance tool :)

• Major update to MIDI Tape Recorder is now available in the App Store!

I spent several weeks tracking down a bug inside Logic Pro X with Apple that caused MIDI Processor plugins to not work properly. We also found a workaround for existing Logic Pro X versions, so now MIDI Tape Recorder finally fully works on macOS!

For iOS there a lot of features additions, most notable Music Effect and Instrument AUv3 plugins that allow some features of MIDI Tape Recorder to be used with hosts that don't support MIDI Processor plugins.
    More information at http://uwyn.com/mtr/

These are all the changes in version 1.0.4:

• Added setting to allow disabling auto rewind after record.
    • Added setting to only start playing at the next host beat, even when not following the host transport. This is useful when using MTR as a clip launcher.
    • Record arm is now preserved in the AUv3 saved state.
    • Added Music Effect AUv3 alongside the MIDI Processor AUv3, note that the majority of hosts don't support MIDI output from Music Effect AUv3s but recording is possible.
    • Added Instrument AUv3 alongside the MIDI Processor AUv3, note that while this will allow recording any MIDI in a host's track, it usually prevents having another instrument on the same track so it might be impossible to hear sound.
    • Workaround for Logic Pro X issue that prevented MIDI Tape Recording from working. MTR now fully works on macOS Intel and Apple Silicon in Logic Pro X.
    • Workaround for Logic Pro X sending an out of range beat position at the start of transport, resulting into the MTR recording duration being too long until the recording catches up.
    • MIDI passthrough LED indicator in now disabled when the host doesn't support AUv3 MIDI output.
    • Reworked settings UI dialog.
    • Fixed auto-trim recording when overdub duration is longer than original recording.
    • Fixed UI max duration calculation when auto-trim changes length.
    • Fixes to recording with host transport from a blank session.
    • Fix that properly clears recording state when invalidating or clearing a recording.
    • Fix for MIDI file export sometimes containing an invalid end of track marker.
  • Thanks @GeertBevin, really looking forward to trying the new version out later on.

• @GeertBevin Recording midi in Garageband and exporting the midi file to be used in another app works great, thanks for adding this feature 😊👍

• @MisplacedDevelopment said:
    Thanks @GeertBevin, really looking forward to trying the new version out later on.

Curious to hear how it goes for you!

• @White said:
    @GeertBevin Recording midi in Garageband and exporting the midi file to be used in another app works great, thanks for adding this feature 😊👍

Awesome!!! Glad there's other uses for it besides recording MPE instruments 😁

• @GeertBevin wrote:

Added Music Effect AUv3 alongside the MIDI Processor AUv3, note that the majority of hosts don't support MIDI output from Music Effect AUv3s but recording is possible.

Which hosts DO support this, please?

• @tja said:
    @GeertBevin wrote:

Added Music Effect AUv3 alongside the MIDI Processor AUv3, note that the majority of hosts don't support MIDI output from Music Effect AUv3s but recording is possible.

MIDI output from music effects?

• @White said:
    @GeertBevin Recording midi in Garageband and exporting the midi file to be used in another app works great, thanks for adding this feature 😊👍

Woo-hoo!
    Finally can use that GB midi easily in other setups!
    Hadn’t thought to try this, so thank you for the prompt. 😁

• edited January 2022

@GeertBevin just started using the new pick up recording mode, thank you for adding it, it is going to help a lot :smile:

I noticed an odd behaviour/bug which is not new but I think I have now found a reliable recreate:

1. Start recording a bar or two
    2. Stop recording
    3. Click the timeline a few beats before the end of the clip to move the playhead back
    4. Continue recording until the playhead reaches the end of the clip, all is well and the clip continues to expand
    5. Stop recording
    6. Drag your finger on the timeline left and right a few beats before the end of the clip
    7. Click to move the playhead back again
    8. Start recording
    9. Now you should see the recording go off the end of the clip, like this:

Once the track gets into this state then I can’t seem to get it to switch back to the expanding clip behaviour.

Edit: I should mention I am not following host transport and auto rewind is off.

@GeertBevin just started using the new pick up recording mode, thank you for adding it, it is going to help a lot :smile:

I noticed an odd behaviour/bug which is not new but I think I have now found a reliable recreate:

1. Start recording a bar or two
    2. Stop recording
    3. Click the timeline a few beats before the end of the clip to move the playhead back
    4. Continue recording until the playhead reaches the end of the clip, all is well and the clip continues to expand
    5. Stop recording
    6. Drag your finger on the timeline left and right a few beats before the end of the clip
    7. Click to move the playhead back again
    8. Start recording
    9. Now you should see the recording go off the end of the clip, like this:

Once the track gets into this state then I can’t seem to get it to switch back to the expanding clip behaviour.

Edit: I should mention I am not following host transport and auto rewind is off.

Yes, this is by design because you explicitly set the session right crop locator to a specific position. Double-tapping that locator will clear your custom position and make it auto-snap to the duration of your session.

• @GeertBevin said:

Yes, this is by design because you explicitly set the session right crop locator to a specific position.

That makes sense, I guess the wiggling of the timeline left and right shifts the loop start/end block ever so slightly.

Double-tapping that locator will clear your custom position and make it auto-snap to the duration of your session.

I can’t get this bit to work (dragging works OK), I am double-tapping the circled section - is that correct?

@GeertBevin said:

Yes, this is by design because you explicitly set the session right crop locator to a specific position.

That makes sense, I guess the wiggling of the timeline left and right shifts the loop start/end block ever so slightly.

Double-tapping that locator will clear your custom position and make it auto-snap to the duration of your session.

I can’t get this bit to work (dragging works OK), I am double-tapping the circled section - is that correct?

Ah no, double tap the locator itself anywhere on the vertical bar below the timeline. When you tap on the timeline, you change the position of the playhead.

• @GeertBevin said:

@tja said:
    @GeertBevin wrote:

Yes, as you wrote.

• @GeertBevin said:
    Ah no, double tap the locator itself anywhere on the vertical bar below the timeline. When you tap on the timeline, you change the position of the playhead.

Ah, that did it, perfect!

• @tja said:

Yes, as you wrote.

So far I only know of AUM, Cubasis, AudioBus 3 and MTS Studio.

@GeertBevin said:

Ah, that did it, perfect!

Yay!

• A very cool thing you can do which I didn’t expect to be able to do is that you can pick up recording in sync with the host even when follow host transport and auto rewind is turned off. If you turn on “Wait for next host beat to play” and then start recording by hitting record then play then MTR will start recording in alignment with the host beat. This means you can pause recording for a while and then start to record MIDI again which is beat aligned with other apps or the host metronome.

It does not work this way if only recording is armed and waiting for a note (playhead is aligned to the beat but notes are recorded as if there is no sync), and you also need to be careful not to start recording again exactly at the end of the clip otherwise the play head rewinds.

A very cool thing you can do which I didn’t expect to be able to do is that you can pick up recording in sync with the host even when follow host transport and auto rewind is turned off. If you turn on “Wait for next host beat to play” and then start recording by hitting record then play then MTR will start recording in alignment with the host beat. This means you can pause recording for a while and then start to record MIDI again which is beat aligned with other apps or the host metronome.

It does not work this way if only recording is armed and waiting for a note (playhead is aligned to the beat but notes are recorded as if there is no sync), and you also need to be careful not to start recording again exactly at the end of the clip otherwise the play head rewinds.

Glad you figured that out, getting record to work with “Wait for next host beat to play” was a lot more work than I anticipated!

• @GeertBevin Bless you for such an fantastic app that does the trick quickly and efficiently. 👏👏👏
    Got a quick question: Can MTR record audio directly from the iPad’s Microphone audio channel in AUM? I wanna sing MIDI notes into MTR.

• @StudioSisu said:
    @GeertBevin Bless you for such an fantastic app that does the trick quickly and efficiently. 👏👏👏
    Got a quick question: Can MTR record audio directly from the iPad’s Microphone audio channel in AUM? I wanna sing MIDI notes into MTR.

MTR only records MIDI, not audio, sorry.

• @GeertBevin said:

@StudioSisu said:
    @GeertBevin Bless you for such an fantastic app that does the trick quickly and efficiently. 👏👏👏

MTR only records MIDI, not audio, sorry.

@GeertBevin Of course! (I think my head’s screwed on sideways today.) Thanks, Geert!

• just started using this great app! is there anything in the pipelines as an exclusive solo switching of each of 4 channels?
    as the intent here is to be able to switch between the 4 recordings so for intsnce the ability for ch.1 to exclusively cancel out ch.2,3,4. ?

• @Mo13 said:
    just started using this great app! is there anything in the pipelines as an exclusive solo switching of each of 4 channels?
    as the intent here is to be able to switch between the 4 recordings so for intsnce the ability for ch.1 to exclusively cancel out ch.2,3,4. ?

I had not planned for that but I could implement this next time I work on it, please file a feature request in the issue tracker: https://github.com/gbevin/MIDITapeRecorder/issues

• edited May 2022

cool i forgot about this app

• Just discovered this GEM.

Thanks for making it. The power of AUV3.

• I have been using this one, of late, in AUM. Then export, edit and mix it on Cubasis 3. Thanks a lot to the developer for making it.

• Could anyone explain to me what I might be doing wrong here? I think my routing is ok, but in MTR I am only getting a flashing green light on the right side (output), not on the left (input) when I play with the seaboard. Hence cannot record anything.

• @Gavinski said:

Could anyone explain to me what I might be doing wrong here? I think my routing is ok, but in MTR I am only getting a flashing green light on the right side (output), not on the left (input) when I play with the seaboard. Hence cannot record anything.

That should work. Have you tried rebooting?

If the output light is flashing but not the input light, that is strange.

What OS version?

• @espiegel123 said:

@Gavinski said:

Could anyone explain to me what I might be doing wrong here? I think my routing is ok, but in MTR I am only getting a flashing green light on the right side (output), not on the left (input) when I play with the seaboard. Hence cannot record anything.

That should work. Have you tried rebooting?

If the output light is flashing but not the input light, that is strange.

What OS version?

I will try a reboot, if that doesn't work I'll try a reinstall, cheers!