Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MIDI Tape Recorder released! (sample accurate, MPE, free and open source)

Comments

• I have a new beta ready with the following changes:

• Improved beat positioning of MIDI events when recorded with moving host transport, this ensures exact alignment with the host's musical time.
    • Added setting to disable following the host transport (useful for background recording).
    • Added AUv3 parameters to clear all and clear specific tracks with confirmation (double-activate the parameter within 2 seconds).

I would appreciate additional testing before releasing it, just because the code of the MIDI event timing with a moving host transport has changed and should be improved.

Let me know if you need a beta testing invite and wanna give it a try!

• In my basic tests, everything looks great :smile:

• @tja said:
    In my basic tests, everything looks great :smile:

Awesome, thanks for testing!

• I’m testing it out on 15.1 on an iPhone 11 and I’m not getting any recorded output. I’ll route everything and see the response that it’s getting midi input and it’ll even disarm record like it does when it records notes but then there is nothing there to play back as if it didn’t record anything

• @Fingolfinzz said:
    I’m testing it out on 15.1 on an iPhone 11 and I’m not getting any recorded output. I’ll route everything and see the response that it’s getting midi input and it’ll even disarm record like it does when it records notes but then there is nothing there to play back as if it didn’t record anything

Can you provide more details on exactly what you're setting up and using?

• @GeertBevin said:

@Fingolfinzz said:
    I’m testing it out on 15.1 on an iPhone 11 and I’m not getting any recorded output. I’ll route everything and see the response that it’s getting midi input and it’ll even disarm record like it does when it records notes but then there is nothing there to play back as if it didn’t record anything

Yeah I’ve tried with GeoShred and Animoog Z as well. I’ll route the instrument into the midi recorder input in AUM. I’ll set a loop and arm record on track 1, I hit some notes and see the green light flashing and then hit the record button and play some notes. The record button disarms at the end of the loop like it would as usual but then there isn’t anything recorded on track 1 to output back to the instrument. I’ve tried to delete and reinstall and I’ve reset my phone but I’m still getting the same results

• @Fingolfinzz said:

@GeertBevin said:

@Fingolfinzz said:

Yeah I’ve tried with GeoShred and Animoog Z as well. I’ll route the instrument into the midi recorder input in AUM. I’ll set a loop and arm record on track 1, I hit some notes and see the green light flashing and then hit the record button and play some notes. The record button disarms at the end of the loop like it would as usual but then there isn’t anything recorded on track 1 to output back to the instrument. I’ve tried to delete and reinstall and I’ve reset my phone but I’m still getting the same results

Does the same thing happen with the App Store version and the TestFlight version? Are you using the AUM transport or the MTR transport?

• @GeertBevin said:

@Fingolfinzz said:

@GeertBevin said:

@Fingolfinzz said:

Does the same thing happen with the App Store version and the TestFlight version? Are you using the AUM transport or the MTR transport?

The AppStore version works fine for me. I’ve been using it with the transport on, I did just try it out on the TestFlight version with the AUM transport off though and then I was able to get it to record and output so it seems it only does it when I’m using the AUM transport

• @Fingolfinzz said:
    The AppStore version works fine for me. I’ve been using it with the transport on, I did just try it out on the TestFlight version with the AUM transport off though and then I was able to get it to record and output so it seems it only does it when I’m using the AUM transport

Do you enable Record Arm (next to play) in MTR or do you use the Record button inside AUM?

• Greetings! Could this APP record the Prophet6 Midi Data like Arpeggiator, Knob movements including the NRPN parameters? Unfortunately the Poly Mod Commands are not transferred as MIDI CC but NRPN on the Prophet 6.

• @Eutow said:
    Greetings! Could this APP record the Prophet6 Midi Data like Arpeggiator, Knob movements including the NRPN parameters? Unfortunately the Poly Mod Commands are not transferred as MIDI CC but NRPN on the Prophet 6.

Yes, it records all that and plays it back.

• @GeertBevin said:

@Fingolfinzz said:

Do you enable Record Arm (next to play) in MTR or do you use the Record button inside AUM?

I’m enabling the record arm for MTR when doing it, I have a screen recording as well I can post, here’s a link Sorry the quality kind of sucks but I couldn’t upload it directly here and I can’t get it to upload better quality on YouTube

• Incredible that you thought of this during programming, thank you so much!!

• @Fingolfinzz said:

@GeertBevin said:

@Fingolfinzz said:

I’m enabling the record arm for MTR when doing it, I have a screen recording as well I can post, here’s a link Sorry the quality kind of sucks but I couldn’t upload it directly here and I can’t get it to upload better quality on YouTube

Thank you, that's super helpful and I was able to reproduce it. What happens is that it's now taking the exact beat position of the midi event from he host but when it's repeating that falls outside the boundaries. This should be an easy fix, I really appreciate your help!

• This is a great app! Really useful. Thank you for providing it for us all.

• @Fingolfinzz MIDI Tape Recorder v1.0.3 build 16 is now in TestFlight and should fix the issue you reported.

• @Dav said:
    This is a great app! Really useful. Thank you for providing it for us all.

So glad you like it and find it useful! :)

• @GeertBevin said:
    @Fingolfinzz MIDI Tape Recorder v1.0.3 build 16 is now in TestFlight and should fix the issue you reported.

Awesome, working just fine for me now! Thank you!

• @Fingolfinzz said:

@GeertBevin said:
    @Fingolfinzz MIDI Tape Recorder v1.0.3 build 16 is now in TestFlight and should fix the issue you reported.

Awesome, working just fine for me now! Thank you!

Wonderful, thanks for confirming!

• edited January 2022

This app is really extraordinary in its combination of power and simplicity.

Quick question for the group: what app(s) are people using to edit the MIDI afterwards? I can’t get the files to open in Atom, they’re fudged up in Xequence, They open in Auria but won’t play sound… I’ve gotten them to open and work well in Audio Evolution Mobile, but I hate editing in that app. Would love to hear suggestions… Again, thank you so much @GeertBevin ! And thanks in advance for what will surely be problem-solving suggestions…

• @mulletsaison said:

Quick question for the group: what app(s) are people using to edit the MIDI afterwards? I can’t get the files to open in Atom, they’re fudged up in Xequence, They open in Auria but won’t play sound… I’ve gotten them to open and work well in Audio Evolution Mobile, but I hate editing in that app. Would love to hear suggestions… Again, thank you so much @GeertBevin ! And thanks in advance for what will surely be problem-solving suggestions…

So far I’ve just re-recorded the playback into LK when I want to edit the MIDI notes/timing

• @mulletsaison said:

MPE not really a format made for editing ...at least not yet. It's kind of like the difference between using a painting app (undo/filters etc.) and making an actual painting on canvas (paint over and try again). On the bright side, you can change presets and hear your performance differently. Maybe someday we'll put on our AR helmets and sculpt MPE like clay hanging in the void.

• I released update v1.0.3 with the following changes:

• Improved beat positioning of MIDI events when recorded with moving host transport, this ensures exact alignment with the host's musical time.
    • Fixed recording from other MIDI plugins (like Fugue Machine) with host transport sometimes creating a very long recording duration.
    • Added setting to disable following the host transport (useful for background recording).
    • Added AUv3 parameters to clear all and clear specific tracks with confirmation (double-activate the parameter within 2 seconds).
    • Fixed clear all not always clearing the duration of the session.
    • Added macOS optimized app icon.
  • Ah, thanks for the update :) I was just noticing some recording weirdness from Zoa creating a really long timeline so I think this hopefully will solve that...

• @Carnbot said:
    Ah, thanks for the update :) I was just noticing some recording weirdness from Zoa creating a really long timeline so I think this hopefully will solve that...

Yes, that should be fixed now.

• @Pandan said:

@mulletsaison said:

So far I’ve just re-recorded the playback into LK when I want to edit the MIDI notes/timing

I forgot all about LK! Thanks!

@aaronpc said:

@mulletsaison said:

MPE not really a format made for editing ...at least not yet. It's kind of like the difference between using a painting app (undo/filters etc.) and making an actual painting on canvas (paint over and try again). On the bright side, you can change presets and hear your performance differently. Maybe someday we'll put on our AR helmets and sculpt MPE like clay hanging in the void.

Yeah I tried it with non-MPE and same thing. Maybe it’s a MIDI 2.0 thing? And still more information than the others can handle?

Anyway, I’m really just starting to learn how to use MIDI beyond the most basic functions and it’s a really exciting time!

Thanks all!!!!

• edited January 2022

@mulletsaison said:
    Yeah I tried it with non-MPE and same thing. Maybe it’s a MIDI 2.0 thing? And still more information than the others can handle?

Anyway, I’m really just starting to learn how to use MIDI beyond the most basic functions and it’s a really exciting time!

Thanks all!!!!

There's no software really using MIDI 2.0 yet, but that might change in the next few months. In the meantime, that shouldn't really be a concern.

• I must say mjau, mjau once again (oscilated) and congratulate with a wonderfull AuV3.
    I was wondering, can I use it as a clip launcher? I can map “Play” to a CC to have it launch, but it will also starts when AUM starts, right?
    Is it possible to use it as a clip launcher, to only have it play at selected times?
    I’m making a song in Xequence and would like some MPE here and there

• @_smund said:
    I must say mjau, mjau once again (oscilated) and congratulate with a wonderfull AuV3.
    I was wondering, can I use it as a clip launcher? I can map “Play” to a CC to have it launch, but it will also starts when AUM starts, right?
    Is it possible to use it as a clip launcher, to only have it play at selected times?
    I’m making a song in Xequence and would like some MPE here and there

The latest version has a setting to disabling following the host transport. So it will not start when AUM starts when you disable that.

• edited January 2022

I get one silly and one real problem,
    Notice whenever I press the timeline after the PC change event in Xequence, it starts playing?
    @SevenSystems do you have an idea what it could be?
    (It’s good for you guys I nag multiple people so you don’t have to have me alone :)

@GeertBevin
    When I de-couple Midi Tape Recorder from host transport it seems to loose the tempo, can I still use it as I wanted, like a clip launcher?

In addition it seems to still play for a bleep when I send the PC 0 to PLAY On/Off at the start of the song(when decoupled from trans)