Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MIDI Tape Recorder released! (sample accurate, MPE, free and open source)

Comments

• @GrnEgz_N_Hm said:
    After looking through the feature details, the unique use I understand this platform offers over other midi workstations is that you can perform MPE midi parts and change the patch/instrument after the fact without having to re-record the performance. Am I interpreting this correctly? The essential benefit of midi in a DAW environment is that it allows you to edit a performance for timing and to add expression elements. If there is no midi note editing, CCs etc, on this platform then aside from changing MPE patches/instruments after the fact why wouldn’t you just record the audio in the first place?

…just trying to understand.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/1033107/#Comment_1033107 and other discussion starting maybe 10 posts above.

• @wim said:

@GrnEgz_N_Hm said:
    After looking through the feature details, the unique use I understand this platform offers over other midi workstations is that you can perform MPE midi parts and change the patch/instrument after the fact without having to re-record the performance. Am I interpreting this correctly? The essential benefit of midi in a DAW environment is that it allows you to edit a performance for timing and to add expression elements. If there is no midi note editing, CCs etc, on this platform then aside from changing MPE patches/instruments after the fact why wouldn’t you just record the audio in the first place?

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/1033107/#Comment_1033107 and other discussion starting maybe 10 posts above.

Ok thank you. Do you think there is a possibility note editing will be added in the future perhaps as an IAP?

• wimwim
    edited December 2021

@GrnEgz_N_Hm said:

@wim said:

@GrnEgz_N_Hm said:

Ok thank you. Do you think there is a possibility note editing will be added in the future perhaps as an IAP?

Skim page 2 - it's discussed in a few places there. Note editing with MPE seems problematic from what I understand.

• edited December 2021

@GrnEgz_N_Hm said:

I'm investigating the possibility of adding more higher level corrections, like per-voice pitch, pressure and timbre (3rd axis) massaging. Basically ways to manipulate what these do without specifically editing the midi data. This would guarantee the preservation of the correct set of messages for MPE playback, as opposed to just changing a midi note message. With MPE for instance the note you're hearing might not even be a midi note message, but often is a very precise pitch bend offset for a prior note on that is still active.

• This is so great, immediately started using this in a project. I use lots of generative midi from the ipad into soft synths in Logic but have lots of trouble with latency and sync, this captures the midi perfectly and i then just airdrop the midi file into my Logic project folder, thank you sir.

• @tja: after some more experimenting recording Animoog Z to MTR in both AUM and Loopy Pro, I have seen that MPE label in both hosts AND seen times when it isn't present in both. I could be wrong about this, but it seems like Animoog Z sends something out when you select the MPE option in its midi settings at the time the menu choice is made. If I load and connect MTR and record enable it after Animoog Z is configured, the label doesn't appear. It isnt 100% clear from the docs, but I think one has to choose MPE in Animoog's settings while MTR is listening.

If I do the same in Loopy Pro, I see MPE L:15.

Out curiosity, @GeertBevin, what is the difference between MPE snd MPE L:15?

• edited December 2021

@GeertBevin said:

@GrnEgz_N_Hm said:

I'm investigating the possibility of adding more higher level corrections, like per-voice pitch, pressure and timbre (3rd axis) massaging. Basically ways to manipulate what these do without specifically editing the midi data. This would guarantee the preservation of the correct set of messages for MPE playback, as opposed to just changing a midi note message. With MPE for instance the note you're hearing might not even be a midi note message, but often is a very precise pitch bend offset for a prior note on that is still active.

You read my mind 💡. That is precisely my topic of intrigue. Of the 3 axes, particularly the pitch movement in a performance at times can be a little off in timing or even ‘drift’ slightly in a manner that was not intended. The ability to make those subtle corrections (‘massaging’ as you fittingly described) would be a very welcome tool set. You have my vote for this feature as an IAP 👍

• edited December 2021

@espiegel123 said:
    @tja: after some more experimenting recording Animoog Z to MTR in both AUM and Loopy Pro, I have seen that MPE label in both hosts AND seen times when it isn't present in both. I could be wrong about this, but it seems like Animoog Z sends something out when you select the MPE option in its midi settings at the time the menu choice is made. If I load and connect MTR and record enable it after Animoog Z is configured, the label doesn't appear. It isnt 100% clear from the docs, but I think one has to choose MPE in Animoog's settings while MTR is listening.

If I do the same in Loopy Pro, I see MPE L:15.

Out curiosity, @GeertBevin, what is the difference between MPE snd MPE L:15?

The MPE specification essentially has two main sections:

• a contract of how to use MIDI 1.0 messages and channels to achieve per note expression over three dimensions

• an MPE Configuration Message (MCM) that allows devices to signal to each other that they are using MPE and how many MIDI channels are used, additionally an optional Pitch Bend Sensitivity message (RPN 0) to ensure that the pitch bend messages are used in the same way across devices.

The MCM is so far (until MIDI-CI in MIDI 2.0) the only way for a device to know that another device is using MPE, but some devices don't send it.

When a device or controller does send the MCM, and MIDI Tape Recorder receives it with Record Enable on a track. It knows that MPE will be used for that track and it stores the MCM details and the RPN 0 Pitch Bend Sensitivity that was sent. Whenever you play that track, it will send out the same MCM and RPN 0 to ensure that the same configuration is used by the synth receiving the MIDI performance.

When you enable "Display MPE config details" in MIDI Tape Recorder settings, it will show the details of the MCM, meaning how many channels are to be used for the MPE lower zone and how many channels for the MPE upper zone. When you see L:15, it means that 15 channels are used for the lower zone, which with the manager channel basically uses up all the MIDI channels on that port.

Hope this makes sense.

• A low-velocity filter for open guitar strings might be useful for Guitar2MIDI, according to some SY-1000 discussions in vguitarforums.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=33434.25

• @GeertBevin said:

@ocelot said:
    @GeertBevin Just curious, is there a reason why the exported MIDI Type 1 files have a *.midi extension, rather than just *.mid?

Some sequencers cannot open *.midi files, but can open *.mid files.

It's easy enough to change the extension, just curious. Thanks again.

Oh, not really, just an oversight on my behalf. I can change that for a future update. Thanks for pointing that out!

Thanks for the update Geert. Super useful tool!

• edited December 2021

@mojozart said:
    A low-velocity filter for open guitar strings might be useful for Guitar2MIDI, according to some SY-1000 discussions in vguitarforums.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=33434.25

@mojozart Have you tried MIDI Curve from the MIDI Tools suite by Victor Porof after BOSS/Rolands or Guitar2MIDI?
    It can be configured to ignore incoming (and block outgoing MIDI) velocities below 11.
    Just curious, I'd like to try G2M sometime.

• @ocelot I haven't, but MIDI Curve does look useful, with Out Min=0 in the Boss/Roland case.

• I can glide! Jahu. I was going to learn Loopy Pro but it can’t bind midi CC’s(yet),and setting glide value for moog 15’AuV3 aswell has always been a shot in the dark.. have to open Moog Model 15 in standalone, and change the glide setting for it to carry over to It’s AuV3, am I wrong about that?
    But I can glide now! Xequence and Atom 2 wouldent let me glide either but now I’m onnit with my Roli (carefull with the fingers).
    I thought I’d mention the buisnis of not having Midi Settings in Moog Model 15’s AuV3(glide range) to sew up the MPE experience, is that patchable you think?

I would like to have a overdub function on the Midi Tape Recorder, as you can’t allways count on count in,,

It would be nice not to have to press play (Stop) and rewind on both players for re-takes.
    -Arm Loop Recording
    -Arm overdub
    -Press rec+Play
    -press Undo while its playing to start over without having to press anything else, you know?
    Im Faxingsome money, You’re great.

• @_smund said:
    I can glide! Jahu. I was going to learn Loopy Pro but it can’t bind midi CC’s(yet),and setting glide value for moog 15’AuV3 aswell has always been a shot in the dark.. have to open Moog Model 15 in standalone, and change the glide setting for it to carry over to It’s AuV3, am I wrong about that?
    But I can glide now! Xequence and Atom 2 wouldent let me glide either but now I’m onnit with my Roli (carefull with the fingers).
    I thought I’d mention the buisnis of not having Midi Settings in Moog Model 15’s AuV3(glide range) to sew up the MPE experience, is that patchable you think?

I would like to have a overdub function on the Midi Tape Recorder, as you can’t allways count on count in,,

It would be nice not to have to press play (Stop) and rewind on both players for re-takes.
    -Arm Loop Recording
    -Arm overdub
    -Press rec+Play
    -press Undo while its playing to start over without having to press anything else, you know?
    Im Faxingsome money, You’re great.

As @wim and I mentioned to you elsewhere, Moog Model 15 CC mapping in standalone doesn't reliably carry over to AU instances and Model 15's AU doesn't have MIDI settings the way that Animoog Z. You should probably contact Moog about that.

• edited December 2021

I mailed them and now Im askin the developer right here! :) or so I’m told?

@espiegel123
    Not everyone is aware that Loopy Pro is missing CC configuration to it’s AuV3’s, it took me some days to figure it out.

The issue I’m described with Moog Model 15 is like I said it here, not something else. The Midi configuration menu is missing in it’s AuV3 so you can’t set Glide Ratio(needed for MPE), and
    if it had retained it’s CC mapping (from the missing midi settings menu), it would work with Loopy Pro now.
    The reason I mention all this it is cuz the maker of model 15 is the same that started this thread, right?

To backtrack to Midi Tape Recorder:
    -Arm Loop Recording
    -Arm overdub
    -Press rec+Play
    -press Undo while its playing to start over without having to press anything else

• Would be nice launch the tracks with midi messages,
    I’m not having luck with mapping PC from xequencer to «Play» in Midi tape. Is that the way you’re supposed to launch the tracks?

• edited January 2022

• edited January 2022

The issue I’m described with Moog Model 15 is like I said it here, not something else. The Midi configuration menu is missing in it’s AuV3 so you can’t set Glide Ratio(needed for MPE), and
    if it had retained it’s CC mapping (from the missing midi settings menu), it would work with Loopy Pro now.
    The reason I mention all this it is cuz the maker of model 15 is the same that started this thread, right?

Thanks for reporting that Model 15 behavior, we'll look into it.

❤️ Your friends at Moog

• @_smund said:
    Would be nice launch the tracks with midi messages,
    I’m not having luck with mapping PC from xequencer to «Play» in Midi tape. Is that the way you’re supposed to launch the tracks?

It looks like you've not enabled Repeat in MIDI Tape Recorder, this means it will stop playback when it reaches the end of the recording.

• @_smund said:
    To backtrack to Midi Tape Recorder:
    -Arm Loop Recording
    -Arm overdub
    -Press rec+Play
    -press Undo while its playing to start over without having to press anything else

I think you can achieve the same flow by simply keeping play and repeat going and re-enabling Record Arm when you want to record. It will also continue repeating and waiting for your performance as long as you've not sent a message during that cycle. Combined with punch in/out this should allow you to very conveniently do re-takes.

• edited January 2022

Thanks @GeertBevin I’ll give it a shot :)
    I just did
    And Le wao I did it again.
    I guess Im happy spoiled here at the AB forum!
    You’re right,I can re-take from the start..Let the record/ ‘take’ be king,better like that. I got confused but yes!

I’m not there with the Repeat in Midi recorder yet, I made another boring video Im afraid, maybe I confused ‘repeat’ with ‘loop’? idk. I want to use MTR as a clip launcher,
    What am I doing wrong?
    Loves back to yous

• Excellent video @GeertBevin and I love to see the GitHub.

A few naive questions and random ideas.

What steps would be needed to use your recorder app with instruments that only support the pre-MPE note-per-string mono mode? (For example, Roland GR33 Mono Mode)

The following WebMIDI project on GitHub made me wonder about the viability of MPE recording in a browser - but of course not an iOS browser because Apple.

https://github.com/mortenson/midi-tape

I'm imagining Zivix adding your recorder to their Jamstik tools.

• @wim said:

@tja said:
    Anybody able to comment on Atom 2 for such MPE recordings?
    At least, the App descriptions mentions MPE, but not how accurate.

Both Helium and Photon AU do not seem to handle MPE.

Xequence 2 can handle MPE too, nearly sample accurate with the MIDI target "Xequence destination" and "Use incoming timestamps" enabled.
    But of course it is not an AU.

Atom2 should handle MPE but doesn’t actually hold up too well. Tests playing back output recorded from Animoog 2 didn’t sound right at all.

Atom2 can record mpe but it can't currently loop it - it rewrites the automation on each pass instead of layering. Hopefully Victor could use some of Geerts's coding to solve this

• @Gavinski said:

@wim said:

@tja said:
    Anybody able to comment on Atom 2 for such MPE recordings?
    At least, the App descriptions mentions MPE, but not how accurate.

Both Helium and Photon AU do not seem to handle MPE.

Xequence 2 can handle MPE too, nearly sample accurate with the MIDI target "Xequence destination" and "Use incoming timestamps" enabled.
    But of course it is not an AU.

Atom2 should handle MPE but doesn’t actually hold up too well. Tests playing back output recorded from Animoog 2 didn’t sound right at all.

Atom2 can record mpe but it can't currently loop it - it rewrites the automation on each pass instead of layering. Hopefully Victor could use some of Geerts's coding to solve this

The Atom issues recording and playing back from Animoog go beyond looping. Even not looped, it often does not reproduce the performance unfortunately

• @GeertBevin said:

@GrnEgz_N_Hm said:

I've tried to address that in the FAQ: http://uwyn.com/mtr/support/

I saw this is the FAQ explanation: You can use MTR to record non-note MIDI data like CC messages for automation, and easily re-use those sections for various purposes.

Is this essentially saying I could record the cc/parameter changes ONLY and then record a different synth in that track to use those parameter automations with it?

• @HotStrange said:

@GeertBevin said:

@GrnEgz_N_Hm said:

I saw this is the FAQ explanation: You can use MTR to record non-note MIDI data like CC messages for automation, and easily re-use those sections for various purposes.

Is this essentially saying I could record the cc/parameter changes ONLY and then record a different synth in that track to use those parameter automations with it?

You can't record additional data to the same track, it will overwrite, but your could record notes to another track and route the MIDI output of that track to the same synth as the CC data of the first track.

• @HotStrange said:

@GeertBevin said:

@GrnEgz_N_Hm said:

Yes.

I'm confused by what you're saying. I think you're asking if you could play back that midi recording to another synth to use those parameter automations with it. If so, then the answer is yes.

• MTR has just breathed new life into the ifretless apps for me. I prefer their string-based interface to the geoshred "fireworks" for expressive playing but unfortunately Atom can't reproduce their output. MTR can. So now I can record and play them back as instruments themselves and also use them as midi controllers for SWAM apps etc.

Thanks a bunch @GeertBevin! 🙏

• @ervin said:
    MTR has just breathed new life into the ifretless apps for me. I prefer their string-based interface to the geoshred "fireworks" for expressive playing but unfortunately Atom can't reproduce their output. MTR can. So now I can record and play them back as instruments themselves and also use them as midi controllers for SWAM apps etc.

Thanks a bunch @GeertBevin! 🙏

Awesome, so glad MTR fits that purpose for you! 😁

• @GeertBevin said:

@HotStrange said:

@GeertBevin said:

@GrnEgz_N_Hm said:

You can't record additional data to the same track, it will overwrite, but your could record notes to another track and route the MIDI output of that track to the same synth as the CC data of the first track.

Great! Thank you 🙏