Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MIDI Tape Recorder released! (sample accurate, MPE, free and open source)

Comments

• @tja said:
    I can only see one input for MTR: "@M1:1"

How to direct MIDI to tracks number 2, 3 or 4 in "4>4" mode?
    So far, only track number 1 can see the incoming MIDI.

That is both documented in the manual and in my tutorial video.

• @Keyb said:
    Thanks for the video, really nice!

Thank you!

• @wingwizard said:
    I had a thought. Could you use this to record and then export a midi or mpe performance to staffpad? I don’t know how it exports

It exports multi-track MIDI files from the global menu, or single-track file from the track menu. These can be imported into any app that can import midi files.

I've looked, but wasn't able to find whether or not StaffPad can do anything with midi files containing MPE.

• @GeertBevin said:

@tja said:
    I can only see one input for MTR: "@M1:1"

How to direct MIDI to tracks number 2, 3 or 4 in "4>4" mode?
    So far, only track number 1 can see the incoming MIDI.

That is both documented in the manual and in my tutorial video.

OK, I need the AUM beta or the next stable version for this ;-)

• wimwim
    edited December 2021

. nvm . misread the above post.

• @wim said:

@wingwizard said:
    I had a thought. Could you use this to record and then export a midi or mpe performance to staffpad? I don’t know how it exports

It exports multi-track MIDI files from the global menu, or single-track file from the track menu. These can be imported into any app that can import midi files.

I've looked, but wasn't able to find whether or not StaffPad can do anything with midi files containing MPE.

I haven’t tried it but I am curious if Atom plays back MTR created files. It is possible that the issues were on the recording side

• @espiegel123 said:

@wim said:

@wingwizard said:

I haven’t tried it but I am curious if Atom plays back MTR created files. It is possible that the issues were on the recording side

Good question. I should have tested that before writing. Can't do it right now though.

• @GeertBevin said:
    MIDI Tape Recorder is...

This is great. Thanks for releasing it.

• tjatja
    edited December 2021

I used this fantastic App with out any problems in AUM.

But somehow, I sometimes cannot get it to play or record in Loopy Pro.
    I can only assume that this has something to do with any Donuts currently being active or not, but am often confused.

In AUM, the transport does not need to run.
    In Loopy Pro sometimes I seem to need a Donut running, sometimes not.

Also, the MPE text near the MTR track does not show up, which it does in AUM.
    This may be because of the configuration with two Animoog Z instances?

• And yes, I have both MIDI input and output set to MPE in both instances.

• This is really great for jamming with :). I usually like to record audio of my performances as I do like to limit the amount of options I have, but the fact you can’t edit the notes is my preferred way of capturing this type of performance. Just do another take and use the bits you like.

This is what I liked about Photon AU as well, but here the gui is a much better experience. Like Photon, being able to slow down and speed up the performance could be nice (not essential but still stays with the tape recording concept) and could be fun to experiment with, although I expect this would be tricky with MPE.

• This looks like a Loopy Pro issue, from your description and videos it's very likely it's stopping to call the MIDI Tape Recorder audio callback block.

• @Carnbot said:
    This is really great for jamming with :). I usually like to record audio of my performances as I do like to limit the amount of options I have, but the fact you can’t edit the notes is my preferred way of capturing this type of performance. Just do another take and use the bits you like.

This is what I liked about Photon AU as well, but here the gui is a much better experience. Like Photon, being able to slow down and speed up the performance could be nice (not essential but still stays with the tape recording concept) and could be fun to experiment with, although I expect this would be tricky with MPE.

MTR will follow the host tempo, even when you're not using the host transport, so you can use that to slow down or speed up 🙂

• @GeertBevin said:

@Carnbot said:
    This is really great for jamming with :). I usually like to record audio of my performances as I do like to limit the amount of options I have, but the fact you can’t edit the notes is my preferred way of capturing this type of performance. Just do another take and use the bits you like.

MTR will follow the host tempo, even when you're not using the host transport, so you can use that to slow down or speed up 🙂

Oh great, yeah will use that method :)

• In Loopy Pro, if one hasn’t recorded any loops, you need to manually set a tempo before using any plugins that need a tempo (this includes some synths with host tempo based arpeggiators and delays).

• @espiegel123 said:

In Loopy Pro, if one hasn’t recorded any loops, you need to manually set a tempo before using any plugins that need a tempo (this includes some synths with host tempo based arpeggiators and delays).

Yes, that fixed it!

Still don't see the "MPE" text on the tracks.

• @tja said:

@espiegel123 said:

In Loopy Pro, if one hasn’t recorded any loops, you need to manually set a tempo before using any plugins that need a tempo (this includes some synths with host tempo based arpeggiators and delays).

Yes, that fixed it!

Sorry if this is a dumb question, what do you mean by "MPE" text on the tracks?

• @espiegel123 said:

@tja said:

@espiegel123 said:

Yes, that fixed it!

The text "MPE" at track 1, that is visible when running MTR in AUM:

• @tja said:

@espiegel123 said:

@tja said:

@espiegel123 said:

Yes, that fixed it!

I think this is one for @GeertBevin

• The text "MPE" at track 1, that is visible when running MTR in AUM:

It's explained in the MPE support section in the manual and also in my tutorial video.

• @GeertBevin said:

It's explained in the MPE support section in the manual and also in my tutorial video.

Thanks for that.

@tja: I've reported this to @Michael . According to the MTR manual that means that the messages identifying Animoog Z's output stream as MPE aren't reaching MTR -- if I read the manual correctly.

• edited December 2021

@espiegel123 said:

@GeertBevin said:

Thanks for that.

@tja: I've reported this to @Michael . According to the MTR manual that means that the messages identifying Animoog Z's output stream as MPE aren't reaching MTR -- if I read the manual correctly.

I haven't tried in detail with Loopy Pro, but apeMatrix has a problem here, consecutive RPN messages are not sent correctly between plug-ins, a lot of the messages are simply discarded.

• @GeertBevin said:

@espiegel123 said:

@GeertBevin said:

Thanks for that.

I haven't tried in detail with Loopy Pro, but apeMatrix has a problem here, consecutive RPN messages are not sent correctly between plug-ins, a lot of the messages are simply discarded.

Does that hint to similar problems within Loopy Pro?

Sadly, I do not understand the MPE part of the manual...

I just wanted to be sure, that MPE is used - and right now, that may not be the case, if I understood correctly.

• wimwim
    edited December 2021

@tja said:

@GeertBevin said:

@espiegel123 said:

@GeertBevin said:

Thanks for that.

Does that hint to similar problems within Loopy Pro?

Sadly, I do not understand the MPE part of the manual...

I just wanted to be sure, that MPE is used - and right now, that may not be the case, if I understood correctly.

It should be pretty easy to test. Just record playing two notes with different pitch bend or other modulation movement on each. Play it back and listen whether the polyphonic expression plays back properly.

The MPE indicator is turned on if a specific MPE configuration handshake is completed. It could be that a host or synthesizer works OK with MPE but doesn't react to or pass that configuration message properly.

Not only does MTR preserve the exact timing and order of all the MIDI messages, it also provides support for the standard MPE Configuration Message (MCM) and MIDI RPN 0 Pitch Bend Sensitivity message.

When a track is set to Record Enable, any MCM and RPN 0 message that's received, will be remembered. When this is the case, MTR will display an MPE Indicator button in the top-left corner of the track.

• MTR will record all the MIDI messages it receives, MPE or non MPE it doesn't really matter. The MPE indicator is when it captures and remembers the MPE Configuration Message, so that it can configure the synth the same way each time the recording is played. Without the MCM, you'll just have to make sure that the synth is set up the same way each time yourself.

• Had to work out my Audiobus login just so I could come and say thanks for this. Really inspiring!

Have spent hours on it and not even using MPE

The moment when I realised the tempo could be changed <3

Thanks again!

• @GeertBevin said:
    MTR will record all the MIDI messages it receives, MPE or non MPE it doesn't really matter. The MPE indicator is when it captures and remembers the MPE Configuration Message, so that it can configure the synth the same way each time the recording is played. Without the MCM, you'll just have to make sure that the synth is set up the same way each time yourself.

Many thanks!

• After looking through the feature details, the unique use I understand this platform offers over other midi workstations is that you can perform MPE midi parts and change the patch/instrument after the fact without having to re-record the performance. Am I interpreting this correctly? The essential benefit of midi in a DAW environment is that it allows you to edit a performance for timing and to add expression elements. If there is no midi note editing, CCs etc, on this platform then aside from changing MPE patches/instruments after the fact why wouldn’t you just record the audio in the first place?

…just trying to understand.

• @GrnEgz_N_Hm said:
    After looking through the feature details, the unique use I understand this platform offers over other midi workstations is that you can perform MPE midi parts and change the patch/instrument after the fact without having to re-record the performance. Am I interpreting this correctly? The essential benefit of midi in a DAW environment is that it allows you to edit a performance for timing and to add expression elements. If there is no midi note editing, CCs etc, on this platform then aside from changing MPE patches/instruments after the fact why wouldn’t you just record the audio in the first place?

…just trying to understand.

I've tried to address that in the FAQ: http://uwyn.com/mtr/support/