Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MIDI Tape Recorder released! (sample accurate, MPE, free and open source)

Comments

• edited December 2021

@MisplacedDevelopment said:

@gregsmith said:
    Can you export the midi into atom2 afterwards? Or does that defeat the object?

Just started playing with this, great work @GeertBevin ! I can see it could be useful as a flight recorder type thing in Loopy Pro to capture MIDI for archival purposes where you are more interested in the audio but can’t quite bring yourself to throw away the MIDI data that got you there.

Yes!! This is exactly what I was thinking too. But I thought it’d be great to be able to whack it into atom 2 and fix that odd note or timing issue too.

OR as it’s open source, maybe @Michael could use it to implement midi donuts 🍩 😋

• @gregsmith said:

@MisplacedDevelopment said:

@gregsmith said:
    Can you export the midi into atom2 afterwards? Or does that defeat the object?

Just started playing with this, great work @GeertBevin ! I can see it could be useful as a flight recorder type thing in Loopy Pro to capture MIDI for archival purposes where you are more interested in the audio but can’t quite bring yourself to throw away the MIDI data that got you there.

Yes!! This is exactly what I was thinking too. But I thought it’d be great to be able to whack it into atom 2 and fix that odd note or timing issue too.

OR as it’s open source, maybe @Michael could use it to implement midi donuts 🍩 😋

It exports and imports standard MIDI files if you find an editor that doesn't mess up the timing :smile:

• @GeertBevin said:

It exports and imports standard MIDI files if you find an editor that doesn't mess up the timing :smile:

For the 'Midi Donuts' I think it would be smart for @Michael to record and leave the midi-data as is (ie. in raw, un-quantized form) and do optional quantization (both scale and timing etc.) on the fly during playback?

With Midi Tape Recorder being open-source the donuts would be MPE compatible form day one and the only 'work'(I have no clue on how much work it is) that would remain would be the time & scale quantize.

Time will tell where things go...

• This makes so much sense and already I feel a renewed momentum to just play and record MPE. Thank you so so much for this great gift. So happy it's in the world! Love that it is sample accurate!

• @gkillmaster said:
    This makes so much sense and already I feel a renewed momentum to just play and record MPE. Thank you so so much for this great gift. So happy it's in the world! Love that it is sample accurate!

Thank you! This is exactly why I made it, I wanted to stay in the flow while being expressive with multiple instances of Animoog Z and nothing really allowed me to do that.

• fantastisch ! merci beaucoup !!!

• edited December 2021

@GeertBevin said:

@Simon said:
    I like that it is called a MIDI "Tape" Recorder.

When I built it, I kept thinking about my old Tascam 4-track I did my first recordings with as a teenager. I was so productive and in the moment doing that, I was trying to get some of that magic into MIDI Tape Recorder.

This is totally what it feels like. I’m a little young to actually remember day to day use, always had either nothing (usually) or a software DAW (when along came the iPad), but I remember I got to borrow a friend’s four-track for one night only when I was just starting writing songs and it was revelatory. Still remember it vividly as one of the funnest nights of my life, period. It’s a shame I never allowed myself to have one at the time because I had to pay for college. Boy is college a gyp (if you don’t have a true interest or focus).

I know I keep coming back to gush, but using this gives me a bit of that feeling, especially since you (thankfully) can’t edit the notes. It encourages you to still play proficiently (which is wayyy underrated these days), even if you break it up into looped sections or punch in/out.

• And it completed Animoog Z, which is the only soft synth I care about using going forward.

• edited December 2021

Doug's video:

• @oat_phipps said:

@GeertBevin said:

@Simon said:

When I built it, I kept thinking about my old Tascam 4-track I did my first recordings with as a teenager. I was so productive and in the moment doing that, I was trying to get some of that magic into MIDI Tape Recorder.

This is totally what it feels like. I’m a little young to actually remember day to day use, always had either nothing (usually) or a software DAW (when along came the iPad), but I remember I got to borrow a friend’s four-track for one night only when I was just starting writing songs and it was revelatory. Still remember it vividly as one of the funnest nights of my life, period. It’s a shame I never allowed myself to have one at the time because I had to pay for college. Boy is college a gyp (if you don’t have a true interest or focus).

I know I keep coming back to gush, but using this gives me a bit of that feeling, especially since you (thankfully) can’t edit the notes. It encourages you to still play proficiently (which is wayyy underrated these days), even if you break it up into looped sections or punch in/out.

You just made my day ... uhm week 😁

Thank you!

• @oat_phipps said:
    And it completed Animoog Z, which is the only soft synth I care about using going forward.

❤️❤️❤️

• @GeertBevin said:

@Simon said:

I still have my old 424 mk III as part of my setup! My brain is still very analogue, I’ve only ever owned one digital camera and that was only for a few years well over ten years ago now.

• Thank you! Finally. A cure for zipper noise. I play a wind controller, which is kind of the original mpe controller in terms of expressive midi performance. I have been fighting this midi resolution battle for a long time. A new day dawns.

So now that human expression can be fully captured in MIDI, I would like to make the case for being able to do some midi editing/manipulation.

Here’s the scenario… you just recorded the best performance of your life. The dynamics, articulations, pitch bends, note placements, everything, is perfect. The old ladies will cry. Except for that effin f# that needs to be a g. It’s in exactly the right place in time buts it’s a wrong note. Ruins the whole thing. Can’t use it. You do take after take but just can’t reproduce the feel and beauty of that original performance. I’m sure many studio musicians have had to go on antidepressants after similar experiences over the years.

Being able to fix that f# would be a game changer and clearly distinguish it from audio.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks again and cheers!

• @boomer said:
    Thank you! Finally. A cure for zipper noise. I play a wind controller, which is kind of the original mpe controller in terms of expressive midi performance. I have been fighting this midi resolution battle for a long time. A new day dawns.

So now that human expression can be fully captured in MIDI, I would like to make the case for being able to do some midi editing/manipulation.

Here’s the scenario… you just recorded the best performance of your life. The dynamics, articulations, pitch bends, note placements, everything, is perfect. The old ladies will cry. Except for that effin f# that needs to be a g. It’s in exactly the right place in time buts it’s a wrong note. Ruins the whole thing. Can’t use it. You do take after take but just can’t reproduce the feel and beauty of that original performance. I’m sure many studio musicians have had to go on antidepressants after similar experiences over the years.

Being able to fix that f# would be a game changer and clearly distinguish it from audio.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks again and cheers!

Those are very good points and I am toying with the idea of having a coarse graining tweaking UI, which wouldn't edit individual message but allows massaging the different MPE dimensions of expressiveness.

• @GeertBevin said:

@boomer said:
    Thank you! Finally. A cure for zipper noise. I play a wind controller, which is kind of the original mpe controller in terms of expressive midi performance. I have been fighting this midi resolution battle for a long time. A new day dawns.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks again and cheers!

Those are very good points and I am toying with the idea of having a coarse graining tweaking UI, which wouldn't edit individual message but allows massaging the different MPE dimensions of expressiveness.

Also interesting idea to allow just editing note on pitch value.

• I've started to look at the code, and I would like for the current, minimalist implementation to remain available for educational purposes, if possible. :) It's very modular in its current form.

I like @j_liljedahl's idea. That's the main thing I would want to edit, but it sounds like you have some new ideas for editing MPE data, and that's exciting.

But I do plan to learn from this, and I might like to use it as a foundation for some open source MIDI apps. Very few apps are written for the reader, and "MIDI recording algorithms 101" is an important subject.

I'm slightly less interested in DSP (for now) so this will be perfect for me to learn from.

• Just posting to say I messed around with this today and my Linnstrument going into ID700. It was a revelation to be able to record and loop MPE. Well done.

I do agree that basic editing might be nice, but this already will be a lot of fun.

• I made some things worth keeping for the first time ever with Mononoke thanks to being able to record my noodling, select the part I liked, and then looping that.

(Not a Mononoke problem, just my lack of skilz.)

• @boomer said:

This is exactly my scenario and this is the app I've been looking for since I've moved my live gear to the iPad platform. Being able to record an exact copy of my live performance. And being able to edit the pitch of a single note in a solo or being able to delete a single note in a chord would be fantastic.

No fancy graphical editors, just a raw, straight forward way to modify single events. Like my old Cakewalk 3 list editor!

• @Keyb said:

@boomer said:

This is exactly my scenario and this is the app I've been looking for since I've moved my live gear to the iPad platform. Being able to record an exact copy of my live performance. And being able to edit the pitch of a single note in a solo or being able to delete a single note in a chord would be fantastic.

No fancy graphical editors, just a raw, straight forward way to modify single events. Like my old Cakewalk 3 list editor!

I understand but sadly this is not possible for MPE data, your note might not even be a note message, it's often a particular 14 bit pitch bend value in a stream of other pitch bend values, but you can't just change that single one, you also have to change everything leading up to and from there.

That's why I'm thinking about data 'massaging'. For pitch it could for instance display a line per voice that tracks the effective pitch. And then you can nudge/push specific parts upwards and downwards while all related messages towards and from there scale accordingly.

For other expressive messages, something similar could be done.

• @GeertBevin Just curious, is there a reason why the exported MIDI Type 1 files have a *.midi extension, rather than just *.mid?

Some sequencers cannot open *.midi files, but can open *.mid files.

It's easy enough to change the extension, just curious. Thanks again.

• @ocelot said:
    @GeertBevin Just curious, is there a reason why the exported MIDI Type 1 files have a *.midi extension, rather than just *.mid?

Some sequencers cannot open *.midi files, but can open *.mid files.

It's easy enough to change the extension, just curious. Thanks again.

Oh, not really, just an oversight on my behalf. I can change that for a future update. Thanks for pointing that out!

• Anybody able to comment on Atom 2 for such MPE recordings?
    At least, the App descriptions mentions MPE, but not how accurate.

Both Helium and Photon AU do not seem to handle MPE.

Xequence 2 can handle MPE too, nearly sample accurate with the MIDI target "Xequence destination" and "Use incoming timestamps" enabled.
    But of course it is not an AU.

• @GeertBevin said:
    I understand but sadly this is not possible for MPE data, your note might not even be a note message, it's often a particular 14 bit pitch bend value in a stream of other pitch bend values, but you can't just change that single one, you also have to change everything leading up to and from there.

That's why I'm thinking about data 'massaging'. For pitch it could for instance display a line per voice that tracks the effective pitch. And then you can nudge/push specific parts upwards and downwards while all related messages towards and from there scale accordingly.

For other expressive messages, something similar could be done.

Thanks for the reply. I see the point. Nevertheless, any kind of editing that you are able to add, will be more than welcome!

• @tja said:
    Anybody able to comment on Atom 2 for such MPE recordings?
    At least, the App descriptions mentions MPE, but not how accurate.

Both Helium and Photon AU do not seem to handle MPE.

Xequence 2 can handle MPE too, nearly sample accurate with the MIDI target "Xequence destination" and "Use incoming timestamps" enabled.
    But of course it is not an AU.

Atom2 should handle MPE but doesn’t actually hold up too well. Tests playing back output recorded from Animoog 2 didn’t sound right at all.

• I had a thought. Could you use this to record and then export a midi or mpe performance to staffpad? I don’t know how it exports

• @j_liljedahl said:
    Also interesting idea to allow just editing note on pitch value.

That would be perfect for those of us who suck at playing keyboards... :)

• I made an intro and basic tutorial video, check it out:

• Thanks for the video, really nice!

• I can only see one input for MTR: "@M1:1"

How to direct MIDI to tracks number 2, 3 or 4 in "4>4" mode?
    So far, only track number 1 can see the incoming MIDI.