Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Loopy Pro Questions

Comments

• @FastGhost said:
    Hopefully this one is a quick fix. When I do a mix down from NS2, some of my samples play back slow. They’re one shots, and it actually kinda still sounds wicked, but I’d like them to play back the same speed they do when I’m playing inside NS2.

It would probably be helpful if you could supply a project and video that demonstrates the issue…to make it easy for Michael to reproduce.

Check the sample rate of the loopy project, sample files , and NS2 to see if there is a mismatch anywhere.

Are these one-shots being time-stretched?

• Thanks @espiegel123, the NS2 project and Loopy both seem to be set at 48k. Guess the samples could be 44, I’ll check when I get back to it. I’ll also see if I can produce a small reproducible project. It’s weird as they play back at the right speed when I press play in NS2, it’s only the mixdown where they’re playing slow. Feels like about half speed.

• @FastGhost said:
    Thanks @espiegel123, the NS2 project and Loopy both seem to be set at 48k. Guess the samples could be 44, I’ll check when I get back to it. I’ll also see if I can produce a small reproducible project. It’s weird as they play back at the right speed when I press play in NS2, it’s only the mixdown where they’re playing slow. Feels like about half speed.

I wonder if NS2 does oversampling in mix down. I seem to recall another plugin that had a similar problem because the plugin wasn’t taking into account something different between mixdown and playback.

Anyway, if you give Michael a project and instructions, he may be able to figure it out.

• I've just checked, and indeed the samples that play back slowly are all 44.1, the rest are all 48.

• @FastGhost said:
    I've just checked, and indeed the samples that play back slowly are all 44.1, the rest are all 48.

Definitely provide Michael with the NanoStudio and loopy projects.

You can workaround the issue probably by exporting the 44.1k samples, converting to 48k and reimporting.

• I'm so close to done on this track I've worked around it by screen recording NS2 and extracting the audio. Will put something together for Michael to test with though.

• @FastGhost said:
    I'm so close to done on this track I've worked around it by screen recording NS2 and extracting the audio. Will put something together for Michael to test with though.

Did you know that you can capture the realtime mix from Nanostudio into Loopy standalone? it'll be higher fidelity than the screen recording.

• @espiegel123 said:

@FastGhost said:
    I'm so close to done on this track I've worked around it by screen recording NS2 and extracting the audio. Will put something together for Michael to test with though.

Did you know that you can capture the realtime mix from Nanostudio into Loopy standalone? it'll be higher fidelity than the screen recording.

Ohh, good shout, thanks!

• I just bought Launchpad X again and I’m intrigued by it entering the Ableton reserved session mode. Especially considering that it activates many of the side buttons.

The question I have is. How can I edit its behaviour?
    When I normally use Loopy I have 2 buttons for each loop:

Button 1 Play/mute or count in rec if loop is empty

Button 2 rec without count in and long press to clear.

I see loopy adds my first button automagically but how do I add another one for clearing the loop?

Thanks

• Ok. I think I worked it out. I just need to find a way to make the button light up.

• Can a loop be named? How? And where can this name be seen?

• @des1303 said:
    Can a loop be named? How? And where can this name be seen?

Get to the edit screen, then tap the loop. The name field is at the top of the screen. The name can be seen on the loop itself and on the "lane" in the sequencer.

• @wim said:
    Get to the edit screen, then tap the loop. The name field is at the top of the screen. The name can be seen on the loop itself and on the "lane" in the sequencer.

Thanks, @wim !

• Aargh! Accidentally did a "Clear" in sequencer / timeline view, then saved the project. I don't have "save points" turned on.

Any hope to recover what I lost?

• edited May 2022

I would like to use Loopy Pro as a flexible MIDI control surface in AUM, and for this I do not need any of the audio abilities. Is there a way of hiding the top and/or bottom status bars as they take up quite a bit of screen real estate? The idea is that Loopy would share the screen with other open AUs and so the less room it takes up, the better.

I guess I could try just using one instance for all of my buttons but it would be nice to be able to logically break them up into separate AUs.

Apologies if this has already been asked!

Edit: just realised AUM lets you push an AU window off the top of the screen by dragging the bottom of the window upwards so this may not be so much of an issue now.

• @MisplacedDevelopment said:
    I would like to use Loopy Pro as a flexible MIDI control surface in AUM, and for this I do not need any of the audio abilities. Is there a way of hiding the top and/or bottom status bars as they take up quite a bit of screen real estate? The idea is that Loopy would share the screen with other open AUs and so the less room it takes up, the better.

I guess I could try just using one instance for all of my buttons but it would be nice to be able to logically break them up into separate AUs.

Edit: just realised AUM lets you push an AU window off the top of the screen by dragging the bottom of the window upwards so this may not be so much of an issue now.

There is no way to get rid of the top Toolset. You can slide the lower tools closed.

• @espiegel123 said:

@MisplacedDevelopment said:

There is no way to get rid of the top Toolset. You can slide the lower tools closed.

Thanks @espiegel123, I did not know you could slide those out of the way. Unfortunately it still takes up the same amount of space in the AU, but it certainly looks tidier! I think that this combined with the ability to move the top part of the AU past the top of the screen will work for me.

• @des1303 said:
    Aargh! Accidentally did a "Clear" in sequencer / timeline view, then saved the project. I don't have "save points" turned on.

What do save points do? Background auto-saves? Plain backups of previous user-saves?

• @des1303 said:

@des1303 said:
    Aargh! Accidentally did a "Clear" in sequencer / timeline view, then saved the project. I don't have "save points" turned on.

What do save points do? Background auto-saves? Plain backups of previous user-saves?

When save points are on, when you save that is saved as a save point. You can then revert back to any previous saves.

• @espiegel123 said:
    When save points are on, when you save that is saved as a save point. You can then revert back to any previous saves.

Thanks! So each save point is a full project snapshot, and does not depend on anything else.

• @des1303 said:

@espiegel123 said:

Thanks! So each save point is a full project snapshot, and does not depend on anything else.

Yes

• I think it is wise to leave save points on. You can always delete individual save points to reduce file size by swiping left on them, if you are sure you don't need them on a specific project.

• Yes, thanks. It was dumb of me to turn it off.

• I have a bunch of loops for the body of my piece, all at the same 68 bpm. Now I want to add some measures of slow free-form solo intro from multiple single-play loops. Each intro loop won't line up well with measure boundaries, but I want the last one to line up and lead into the first rhythmic measure. How should I config those loops?

Not sure if I'm phrasing my questions clearly!

• @des1303 said:
    I have a bunch of loops for the body of my piece, all at the same 68 bpm. Now I want to add some measures of slow free-form solo intro from multiple single-play loops. Each intro loop won't line up well with measure boundaries, but I want the last one to line up and lead into the first rhythmic measure. How should I config those loops?

You might want to consider editing the loops together in an external app such as Neon or Auditor. I would set the tempo in the editor to 68bpm. When you have them all strung together then I would add enough silence at the beginning to make the total clip length some multiple of 68bpm measures. There are probably other ways you could do it, but that seems the most straightforward to me.

• @des1303 said:
    I have a bunch of loops for the body of my piece, all at the same 68 bpm. Now I want to add some measures of slow free-form solo intro from multiple single-play loops. Each intro loop won't line up well with measure boundaries, but I want the last one to line up and lead into the first rhythmic measure. How should I config those loops?

You might consider having a loopy AU instance loaded in loopy and have it not synchro to the host. You could then okay loops in the nested loopy and trigger the parent loopy as the last loop finishes in the child.

• edited May 2022

Thanks, @wim, good option, will keep that in mind (prefer to minimize apps)

@espiegel123 - that sounds interesting! Could you please elaborate a bit on concrete config of child, child loops, and host?

(btw, live play is not a priority, but I want to end up with a recording. Intrigued by the "session recording" option but that part of the manual is empty :)

• @des1303 said:
    Thanks, @wim, good option, will keep that in mind (prefer to minimize apps)

@espiegel123 - that sounds interesting! Could you please elaborate a bit on concrete config of child, child loops, and host?

(btw, live play is not a priority, but I want to end up with a recording. Intrigued by the "session recording" option but that part of the manual is empty :)

I don’t really have more to add than what I posted. You can load loopy as an AU in the loopy host and run it unsynchronized from the host if you want…it’s own clock can be running or not and the host’s can be running or not.

Session recording records your clip and one-shot playing to the timeline. Check it out. It is pretty self-explanatory.

• @espiegel123 said:
    I don’t really have more to add than what I posted. You can load loopy as an AU in the loopy host and run it unsynchronized from the host if you want…it’s own clock can be running or not and the host’s can be running or not.

Session recording records your clip and one-shot playing to the timeline. Check it out. It is pretty self-explanatory.

Will try both, thanks!

• How can I resequence loops in aum.

Havent really used loopy. So will suggest idea. When you tell me how re-sequencing might work with aum.

So make loops but resequence when they start, stop. Amount of spins.

This discussion has been closed.