Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Loopy Pro crashed AUv3

edited December 2021 in Loopy Pro

LP crashes plugins. However, not all of them. Audiokit flies except 808 bass. Flew Rymdigare. And one more thing-exporting via Audio share randomly sends tracks. Not all of them, but one at a time. Saving not via Audio share seems to work fine.

Comments

• How to easily reproduce?

Can you post a project?

• @solncekreeze said:
    LP crashes plugins. However, not all of them. Audiokit flies except 808 bass. Flew Rymdigare. And one more thing-exporting via Audio share randomly sends tracks. Not all of them, but one at a time. Saving not via Audio share seems to work fine.

Please list any plugins that you get crashes with. Some information about your configuration would be helpful as well as whether they always crash for you or sometimes crash.

• @solncekreeze said:

Might be a buffer size or latency issue. Bass 808 often acts up for me if I’m using bluetooth out.

• @espiegel123 said:

@solncekreeze said:

Please list any plugins that you get crashes with. Some information about your configuration would be helpful as well as whether they always crash for you or sometimes crash.

Good. Configuration-ipad 2018/128. IOS 15.2. Plugins are all updated to the latest manufacturers' versions. Do not work at all-FMplayer2, Arturia isem. FRMS and Buchla id700 behave strangely (they play notes fragmentally, and then disappear altogether). Stable operation-Animoog Z, PolyWave, Samplewiz2, Bass808, Factory, Aparillo. Not quite stable (crashes periodically) - Digitalism and D1. I passed all plugins through Destination (midi-Atom2, Riffer, Chordjam). Moog, Sugarbytes, Bleass work perfectly with midi. Of the effects so far, Rymdigare has collapsed a couple of times. I haven't connected the others yet.

• @DukeWonder said:

@solncekreeze said:

Might be a buffer size or latency issue. Bass 808 often acts up for me if I’m using bluetooth out.

No. The new plugins work smoothly. 808 is normal. I increased the buffer to the maximum-nothing has changed. Stable ones work stably, and those that not only periodically behaved not very well in LP-here they showed themselves the same way.

• @solncekreeze said:

@espiegel123 said:

@solncekreeze said:

Good. Configuration-ipad 2018/128. IOS 15.2. Plugins are all updated to the latest manufacturers' versions. Do not work at all-FMplayer2, Arturia isem. FRMS and Buchla id700 behave strangely (they play notes fragmentally, and then disappear altogether). Stable operation-Animoog Z, PolyWave, Samplewiz2, Bass808, Factory, Aparillo. Not quite stable (crashes periodically) - Digitalism and D1. I passed all plugins through Destination (midi-Atom2, Riffer, Chordjam). Moog, Sugarbytes, Bleass work perfectly with midi. Of the effects so far, Rymdigare has collapsed a couple of times. I haven't connected the others yet.

To check if the AU work, please check with either the LP keyboard or a MIDI keyboard (or soft keyboard) rather than with a midi sequencer AU. There is a known issue that will be fixed soon that results in MIDI sequencer AU's not working correctly (which sometimes crashes an AU instrument that is connected to it).

ISEM, for example, is working fine for me in LP on my iPad 2018 if using LP's keyboard or a software keyboard (like Velocity keyboard) or a hardware MIDI keyboard -- or if sending MIDI into Loopy's virtual midi port.

• @tja said:
    How to easily reproduce?

Can you post a project?

The project is empty. Just running midi and synths. As soon as playback starts, the applications fly off. But I note - not all-the new ones work perfectly.

• @solncekreeze said:
    Good. Configuration-ipad 2018/128. IOS 15.2. Plugins are all updated to the latest manufacturers' versions. Do not work at all-FMplayer2, Arturia isem.

Thanks for the helpful list.
    Those two are surprising. I use them all the time in Loopy Pro. I have projects with up to 8 instances of iSEM. Never had a single crash. I'm on iOS 14.8 still and on a different iPad though.

• @espiegel123 said:

@solncekreeze said:

@espiegel123 said:

@solncekreeze said:

To check if the AU work, please check with either the LP keyboard or a MIDI keyboard (or soft keyboard) rather than with a midi sequencer AU. There is a known issue that will be fixed soon that results in MIDI sequencer AU's not working correctly (which sometimes crashes an AU instrument that is connected to it).

ISEM, for example, is working fine for me in LP on my iPad 2018 if using LP's keyboard or a software keyboard (like Velocity keyboard) or a hardware MIDI keyboard -- or if sending MIDI into Loopy's virtual midi port.

It works fine with the software keyboard. I hope that the problem will be fixed soon🙂 Let's be patient. So much work has been invested-it feels. And the disadvantages will eventually go away and only the best will remain🙌

• @solncekreeze said:

@espiegel123 said:

@solncekreeze said:

@espiegel123 said:

@solncekreeze said:

It works fine with the software keyboard. I hope that the problem will be fixed soon🙂 Let's be patient. So much work has been invested-it feels. And the disadvantages will eventually go away and only the best will remain🙌

I think the issue with midi sequencers is a high priority fix for Michael and will come soon.

• @wim said:

@solncekreeze said:
    Good. Configuration-ipad 2018/128. IOS 15.2. Plugins are all updated to the latest manufacturers' versions. Do not work at all-FMplayer2, Arturia isem.

Thanks for the helpful list.
    Those two are surprising. I use them all the time in Loopy Pro. I have projects with up to 8 instances of iSEM. Never had a single crash. I'm on iOS 14.8 still and on a different iPad though.

I am always glad to be useful. So this is due to midi sequencers and their connection with synthesizers. It's okay-I think it can be fixed. But if it works steadily, it will be great. The only thing is that some synths have been without updates for a long time and time does not stand still. Some of them work without failures.

• edited December 2021

@espiegel123 said:

@solncekreeze said:

@espiegel123 said:

@solncekreeze said:

@espiegel123 said:

@solncekreeze said:

I think the issue with midi sequencers is a high priority fix for Michael and will come soon.

Only patience and good luck. I think that all these problems will be solved over time. In the meantime, there is an opportunity to study LP-it's not a matter of one day. @Michael 🙌

• All four instances of Turnado are crashing when I open up the interface window. No crash as long as I don’t open the interface.

• As with all DAW's... find the best collection of "parts" that help you get work done and expect fixes to roll out over time.

Loopy Pro loading AUv3's makes it a DAW and the maintenance requirements increased significantly.

@Michael dropping the app the week before the Holidays is a act of faith in the "beta" testers. The permutations and combinations of AUv3's in a DAW with audio and a slew of innovative features probably cause a ton of negative reviews.

If you get work done with Loopy Pro... "rate the app positively". If you have some issues, please be kind since this is a massive app and a leap of faith in the community to help find the interoperability issues to resolve. Don't immediately advertise some AUv3 crash and turn away some potential buyer with a review below a 4.

All software has bugs... good developers just keep stomping on them as long as they are compensated for the effort.

• @zilld2017 said:
    All four instances of Turnado are crashing when I open up the interface window. No crash as long as I don’t open the interface.

Can you run four instances of turnado and open the interface in AUM?

• tjatja
    edited December 2021

I could open 5 Turnado instances as effects in a AUM audio lane and still could open the GUI.

I then added 1 Turnado MIDI instance to Loopy Pro and added also a normal Turnado instance... that crashed the App:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ar9Zza5DyVOxh4BJIj7XgntfO-_glA

But that may still be a crash of Turnado, not of Loopy Pro.

• @tja said:
    I could open 5 Turnado instances as effects in a AUM audio lane and still could open the GUI.

I then added 1 Turnado MIDI instance to Loopy Pro and added also a normal Turnado instance... that crashed the App:

Were you intending to load Turnado as a MIDI source rather than as an audio effect? In the video, Turnado is being loaded as a MIDI source in that video -- which crashes for me, too. However, I also notice that AUM doesn't allow Turnado to be loaded into a MIDI slot.

It looks like there is a bug using Turnado as a MIDi source in Loopy Pro. I was able, however to load and use 5 instances of it as an audio effect on my iPad 6 and display its interface.

• @espiegel123 said:

@tja said:

Were you intending to load Turnado as a MIDI source rather than as an audio effect? In the video, Turnado is being loaded as a MIDI source in that video -- which crashes for me, too. However, I also notice that AUM doesn't allow Turnado to be loaded into a MIDI slot.

It looks like there is a bug using Turnado as a MIDi source in Loopy Pro. I was able, however to load and use 5 instances of it as an audio effect on my iPad 6 and display its interface.

I was not sure, what to do. Esp. because of the differences in what types of Turnado can be loaded or not be loaded.

But as I could easily reproduce a crash, I think that Turnado is the problem here.

• @espiegel123 said:

@zilld2017 said:
    All four instances of Turnado are crashing when I open up the interface window. No crash as long as I don’t open the interface.

Easily more than 4. Topped out at 9 earlier.

• @zilld2017 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@zilld2017 said:

Some apps don't like the "Idle" setting and need that feature turned off by long-pressing on the On/Off/Idle bubble of the plugin window. I don't know if that will help with Turnado though.

• tjatja
    edited December 2021

@wim said:

@zilld2017 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@zilld2017 said:

Some apps don't like the "Idle" setting and need that feature turned off by long-pressing on the On/Off/Idle bubble of the plugin window. I don't know if that will help with Turnado though.

Both Turnado MIDI and normal Turnado do not show nothing at long-press. It just toggles between On and Off.

• After exploring a bit, it does seem like LP is more prone to issues loading multiple instances and some AU (like Koala) that can a large memory footprint. I can reproduce the issue @zilld2017 reported

• @espiegel123 said:
    After exploring a bit, it does seem like LP is more prone to issues loading multiple instances and some AU (like Koala) that can a large memory footprint. I can reproduce the issue @zilld2017 reported

I can only load one sort of Turnado, any second instance - same or different type - crashes LP.

• McDMcD
    edited December 2021

"Crackle and Crash" could have been the marketing name for AUv3.

It does work reasonably well but it effectively allows the user to construct configurations that "should work" but just don't. Plan accordingly.

1. Wait for an update which maybe a while.
    2. Try another config to produce some music today. This is the faster remedy.

I will admit I just stopped using several DAW's because of stuff that I wanted to work that wouldn't. It's great to have so many choices to choose from and sometimes I re-visit a dormant DAW because I want to collaborate with someone or re-visit another workflow.

• @tja said:

@espiegel123 said:
    After exploring a bit, it does seem like LP is more prone to issues loading multiple instances and some AU (like Koala) that can a large memory footprint. I can reproduce the issue @zilld2017 reported

I can only load one sort of Turnado, any second instance - same or different type - crashes LP.

Are you loading it into an effect slot?

What OS version and hardware are you running?

• wimwim
    edited December 2021

@tja said:

@wim said:

@zilld2017 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@zilld2017 said:

Both Turnado MIDI and normal Turnado do not show nothing at long-press. It just toggles between On and Off.

When loaded as a MIDI input? Same here. But if loaded as in audio input or an FX the toggle comes up.

Turnado really shouldn't be loaded as a MIDI input. Loopy shouldn't show it as a possible MIDI input. I'm sure that'll get sorted.

• @wim said:

@tja said:

@wim said:

@zilld2017 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@zilld2017 said:

When loaded as a MIDI input? Same here. But if loaded as in audio input or an FX the toggle comes up.

Turnado really shouldn't be loaded as a MIDI input. Loopy shouldn't show it as a possible MIDI input. I'm sure that'll get sorted.

Now, that's the thing - Tür ado does not appear when adding a new AU!
    It only is listed for MIDI, twice.

• @espiegel123 said:

@tja said:

@espiegel123 said:

Are you loading it into an effect slot?

What OS version and hardware are you running?

This is on an iPad Air 3, with iPadOS 15.2

• @tja said:

@wim said:

@tja said:

@wim said:

@zilld2017 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@zilld2017 said:

Now, that's the thing - Tür ado does not appear when adding a new AU!
    It only is listed for MIDI, twice.

It sounds like you are trying to load Turnado into an instrument slot rather than into an effect slot.

See the pictures below. Tap on an effect slot in the mixer and Turnado will be in the list of available fx. It is the same as in AUM or Audiobus. Turnado is an effect not an instrument.

• tjatja
    edited December 2021

Uhmm, yes @espiegel123

I tried the plus button in lower right and then searched Turnado in both "Audio Unit" and "MIDI" options.

It shows up twice under "MIDI" and not at all under "Audio Unit".

That is an example of my confusion against the way such things can be searched, seen and added In AudioBus... 😅
    I will try again, thanks!