Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Mpc live 2, Mpc one or just stick with Beatmaker 3

edited December 2021 in Other

Hi guys, I’ve had Beatmaker for a while but gave up on it due to it crashing all the time on my old iPad. I have recently purchased a new M1 12.9 iPad Pro and it seems way more stable.
My question is I really really fancy an MPC but I can’t decide whether to get an MPC Live 2, an MPC one or whether I’m best just to stick to Beatmaker. I also have a Launchpad Pro btw so I’m good for a pad interface.
Please let me know your opinions.
Thanks

Comments

• edited December 2021

I was a hardcore BM3 nut from day one. I love(d) it, used it all the time even through the crashy years. About a year ago I got Maschine MK3 and have not looked back. I still tinker with BM3 out of nostalgia / couch comfort and I owe it a huge thanks for the years of not only enjoyment, but commute friendly teaching/practice as well. It all felt like it was prepping me for moving on to Maschine in the end. I imagine I likely would have been just as smitten with an MPC though.

• I have both BM3 and an MPC Live ii. When using the MPC, I miss my auv3 collection, especially for FX. When I’m using BM3, I miss the integrated hardware experience.

If I could do it all over again, I would’ve gone for the MPC One. I find myself not using the extra features on the Live ii, and it takes up too much of my limited desk space. It’s also not portable enough for me to want to take it anywhere other than where it’s plugged in and nearby my studio monitors.

• edited December 2021

@WigWamBam I'm just gonna let this video speak for itself :wink:

fwiw, the MPC One and the iPad are a fantastic combo for making music.

• That’s sounds ace echoopera. So is the MPC One good enough?
    Someone is selling one near me for £350.

• Why thank you @WigWamBam

The MPC One is amazing. As is the Live 2...but I really love the form factor of the One...fits my space better.

• @WigWamBam said:
    That’s sounds ace echoopera. So is the MPC One good enough?
    Someone is selling one near me for £350.

They are not so expensive used, I guess because of the workflow that doesn’t fit everyone. There is some menu diving but with some practice it’s pretty easy. I’m on the fence myself for selling my MPC One but the current low pricing tells me to keep it. It’s a pretty neat piece of standalone apparatus especially because 15/20 years ago I also played with the MPC60 and 2000XL.

• (Devils advocate note)

https://reverb.com/item/38190254-akai-mpc-element

This and the iMPC Pro 2 app is pretty great, opens your choices to all your auv3, IAA, Spotify and Apple Music stuff. And the Akai soundpacks are priced nicely as in-app purchases.

Ive asked a few times here about the differing capabilities of the ipad soft and the hardware, im still uninformed but i think the two are very close

the Element is an Akai buikdceith the usual Akai pads and pretty lights

• Ok so you’ve not helped me at all. I was hoping everyone would convince me I’m being stupid and not to bother getting an MPC at all.

So I can get an MPC One for £350 or an MPC Live 2 for £550 which do I get?

I’m worried about the MPC one not having a battery, speaker, Bluetooth or Wi-Fi are they needed or won’t I miss them?

• edited December 2021

All very good questions.
    I would say that the only thing I miss at times with the MPC One, is not having a battery. But honestly, I've never missed not having a battery. It's just one of those things which would be nice.

As far as the BlueTooth and WiFi...I don't miss them at all, because whenever I use the MPC in conjunction with the iPad, it's usually sending the Clock to the iPad...and when I'm in a mixed environment, it also Sends the clock, or receives it from Drambo or AUM.

I had to pass on the Live 2 because of its sheer size. I have a small setup for my kit, and the One fits snuggly into that setup.

That £200 you save could go nicely to an external Midi Keyboard as well ;)

• @WigWamBam said:
    Ok so you’ve not helped me at all. I was hoping everyone would convince me I’m being stupid and not to bother getting an MPC at all.

I’m worried about the MPC one not having a battery, speaker, Bluetooth or Wi-Fi are they needed or won’t I miss them?

Ok. I'll play devils advocate since no one else is. Consider sticking w/ bm3 and using an mpd232?
    Bus powered, physical controls, built in sequencer to screw with (no memory tho), mpc pads, can pick up for about 250US. Can map the controls notes, cc, etc assignments right on the device without a computer or software.

That being said, with the one/live, you'll want the battery so you can be teatherless, it I recommend picking up a One 1st to see if the workflow works for you and upgrade later if it does.

I'm an old school MPC head, so the newer devices don't do it for me, but I modded my 1k with a battery which solved 99% of the thoughts getting a live.

• edited December 2021

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@WigWamBam said:
    Ok so you’ve not helped me at all. I was hoping everyone would convince me I’m being stupid and not to bother getting an MPC at all.

Ok. I'll play devils advocate since no one else is. Consider sticking w/ bm3 and using an mpd232?
    Bus powered, physical controls, built in sequencer to screw with (no memory tho), mpc pads, can pick up for about 250US. Can map the controls notes, cc, etc assignments right on the device without a computer or software.

That being said, with the one/live, you'll want the battery so you can be teatherless, it I recommend picking up a One 1st to see if the workflow works for you and upgrade later if it does.

I'm an old school MPC head, so the newer devices don't do it for me, but I modded my 1k with a battery which solved 99% of the thoughts getting a live.

I already have a launchpad pro MK3 would the MPD 232 be better than that for controlling Beatmaker?

I think the main reason I want an MPC is because I can stick a big SD card in it and put all my samples on it then have all my music in one dedicated box.

I think it might also be a bit of gear envy as they look cool and I’ve always wanted an MPC but I’m not sure if it will help my workflow or hinder it having never used one before.

• Just get the MPC One. You will love it:

• I have a mpclive, an akai force, an mc707, a maschine plus, and an sp404 mkii (inbound).

Beatmaker 3 is more powerful as far as engines go by leaps and bounds. No muscle memory however. It crashes like a drunk driver. I also feel it has NO FUTURE.

Honestly, I use koala the most on iphone/ipad!
    I rarely boot bm3. Plus being a logic pro user I cant load bm3 into garageband so its really off the table mostly…

Since ive moved back to mostly hardware, the ipad is kinda collecting dust. I find hardware gives me tactile feel and better workflow than ipad apps. So even though bm3 is more powerful than my hardware, in real, everyday use it gets no play. I also tried using bm3 with a few midi controllers and it never felt truly cohesive to me.

This is MY OPINION from my personal usage, and may differ from others in this forum.

• @MrSmileZ
    Since ive moved back to mostly hardware, the ipad is kinda collecting dust.

That is exactly my experience :-) Since i bough Digitakt+Digitone i use iPad litteral just for watching Netflix for more than year LOL

To stay in topic, this is very good comparing of MPC One, Live and Live 2, maybe it helps.

also this hone is very informative:

I would not even for second consider to change HW for SW, expecially in MPC case, there are bundled some seriously great sounding synths and FXs inside. I almost bough one but then, Elektron won :-)

• Try impc pro and decide if u like the workflow. It’s a thinned down version of Mpc

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:
    Try impc pro and decide if u like the workflow. It’s a thinned down version of Mpc

I have the original impc, I didn’t like it to be honest.

• Me too, and impc really isn‘t an introduction to MPC workflow at all.
    At least that‘s my impression from an MPC Studio (a plain controller for the desktop software).

Early releases of that desktop software (called Essential) had a split operation mode for the Studio‘s large LCD display and the PC/Mac screen.
    The LCD is really close to hardware boxes like 2000XL etc and seems fairly reliable if you restrict yourself to that domain.
    (f.e version 1.2 on a MacMini under OSX 10.6.8)

The desktop features, which have been greatly extended up to the current version, are much less reliable, the bug lists are enormous and CPU cycle demand is heavy.
    That‘s why I stepped back to the original install DVD and Snow Leopard, with no virtual instruments or VSTs it performs really nice.
    Most of the time it doesn‘t need the desktop screen, but the grid/pianoroll and bank selection can be handy.
    I’m (very) happy assigning single outs and Midi and just mix in an external DAW.

But I understand Akai‘s point and ambitions with their current (unified) software for desktop and external boxes, targeted at a full DAW implementation.

• @CapnWillie said:
    Id say live a little. Live 2 is great and has gotten better recently with new instruments and features…

You already have and love Bm3 so you can still use it on the go or when you want to have an endless supply of AUv3 synths and fx. Win win.

MPC one is cool from what I see but honestly, you can find a Live 2 used for similar price now so I’d go with the bigger, better unit with battery and speaker personally.

Yeah I think you might be right. Ok the search continues for a second hand one near me. I’ve contacted a few people on Facebook only to find they don’t live where Facebook says they do which is super annoying. The most I want to travel is an hour away!

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:
    Try impc pro and decide if u like the workflow. It’s a thinned down version of Mpc

Impc pro is nowhere close to the MPC desktop or hardware experience or workflow imo

• I use the MPC Live 2. At the end of the day the Live 2, the One and the X run the exact same software, you just have to decide what hardware fits you better. I chose the Live 2 because it’s the most mobile imo.it has a built in battery and a speaker that’s loud enough and has enough bass to enjoy working without monitors hooked up. I’m not taking it out of my home but I use it in different places in my house, in the Studio, on the couch, porch, etc. I also installed a 1tb ssd drive inside which you can’t do with the MPC One. But you can make the same exact thing on either machine.🤷🏽‍♂️

• @WigWamBam said:

550 for a live 2? I'd drive 200 miles to pick that up, even if you spent 70 on fuel it'd be worth it still..

• @symianbeatz said:

@WigWamBam said:

550 for a live 2? I'd drive 200 miles to pick that up, even if you spent 70 on fuel it'd be worth it still..

Yes that’s a good point.

• DO NOT confuse a hardware MPC with that poopy Impc mess....THIS IS NOT comparable!

I hate impc.
    I love my mpclive and my force

• edited December 2021

550.00? just pick out some things to do on your journey...eat somewhere different, shop somewhere different, make a day of it!

clears your mind for when you get home with the MPC

JUST REMEMBER...if you like the 64 pad deal in bm3 and you use clips in beatmaker 3, you will like the Akai force better than the MPC

If I had to choose right now only one piece of kit to work in my studio ITS HANDS DOWN THE FORCE, in fact I will be selling my MPClive eventually to buy something different to put in its place, as I have a limited space and it is too similar to the force to keep both...BUT I wouldn't take 550.00 its worth more than that. REVERB is selling the MPCLive (original version) for 750 to 850 used...and mine has a ssd installed full of content, so...if you found one for 550 you better drive and also better switch it on when you arrive ;)

• edited December 2021

hardware is holding and rising in value at the moment

for instance fantom6 dropped a couple of years back for 2300.00 no its close to 4000.00
    Typhon came out at 349.99 now is 449.99.
    Maschine plus is holding
    MicroFreak got a new white plastic body and a 50 cent microphone and went up 75 bucks
    the force came out at 1499.99 dropped to 999.99 and is now 1199.99

Plus 550 is putting the mpclive value at the same level as the Roland sp404mkii, and they are NOT on the same level at all. ITS A STEAL even at a 4 hour drive

its like a little stock market

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

@WigWamBam said:

I have done this exact move, and sold the controller not long after...THIS IS JUST NOT the same experience at all sorry.
    The MPC is just a workflow monster once you have it down, and its already set up for way more con

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@WigWamBam said:

These days, I don't consider the old MPCs at all, as I have had to have work done with old ones that corrupted and killed so many files due to just being old, the cost of media and finding of floppies and such just being aggravating to me, replacing capacitors, paying repair bills, updating drives to slow sd drive adapters...nawwwwwww I finally parted with the old stuff...just due to expense over time. pad replacements, pot replacements, yada yada. SOUND incredible, everything else doodoo biscuit.
    Even more so for my mv8800...when that goes bad its expensive...smh...and IT WILL GO BAD

That controller with an iPad situation, that was my first cheap effort to enter "MPC of today" world. IMPC sucks, the controller is a second device and feels like a second device...there is no comparing the controller iOS situation to the actual AKAI Hardware situation at all...it always feels deficient as the workflow on the actual hardware is way tighter. plus I'm lugging around adapter cords, dongles, and two things....nope! nothing 'easy portable' about this garb. MPCLive2 is much better, a bit heavier...think bag of sugar or similar...but...decent speaker and it just goes that's all you need besides a subpac/woojer and headphones. easy peasy MPCeezy!

If money is really tight, this suggestion will work for you...but it won't be near as integrated at all, and how integrated it will be, will depend on each user... unless somebody will send you their template(also their workflow). Its always gonna feel like pieces that just kinda work, but never tightly be one thing. I can NEVER recommend IMPC on iOS however as to me its soooooo turd. If you are on an iPad you would be way better off with koala on the low side and beat maker 3 on the high side, with aforementioned Akai controller.

SO on a tight budget? Almost Anonymous is dead on! Good advice
    Got a bigger budget...get the hardware (MPC One, MPCLIVE, MPCX(kinda expensive), or Force)
    hook it to your iPad and build Voltron even!!!!

If you have never ending money, patience, and time to kill...invest in an old BOX (MPC 60, MPC2000xl, MPC4000, MV8000, or etc). The sound of these older boxes is dope for sure, its just older tech so it will be super limited in certain aspects. Its mostly going to aggravate you with slow load/save times, sometimes sketchy reliability, and repair issues.

***don't forget the new sp404mkii is due out around January and is MORE than enough for most producers to make great tracks with. Really long sample times as well!!! 500 bucks new!!!

• My current rig just to show im not bullshizzlin’

• edited December 2021

@MrSmileZ said:
    DO NOT confuse a hardware MPC with that poopy Impc mess....THIS IS NOT comparable!

I hate impc.
    I love my mpclive and my force

Ive not tried both (I’m not even close to that beautiful workspace in your picture) but what is the difference in functionality between iMPC Pro 2 and current MPC hardware - I understand there’s a range of hardware, MPCX and the rest…

In specifics the differences in access to sound sources (instrument and fx plugs), soundware storage, track and sequence building, piano roll, live playin etc etc.. In terms of hardware interface Ive got Akai pads (Element) with iMPC Pro 2. Element isn’t something most people have tried obviously, so maybe set that aside as a query (you’ve probably not tried that rig)

Ive asked this question many times on the forum without reply, and you’ve obviously got strong opinions about the differences, (“NOT comparable!”) so i thought you might share specifics. Ive been tempted many times by MPC hardware including vintage stuff…so you might help me spend some money (or save some)

• edited December 2021

@MrSmileZ said:

JUST REMEMBER...if you like the 64 pad deal in bm3 and you use clips in beatmaker 3, you will like the Akai force better than the MPC

Yes I must admit I am also tempted by the Force, it looks like Ableton in a hardware box.

It’s not standalone though is it?

It looks better for dance music than beat making which I like doing too.

Can you make beats on it like you can an mpc? Are the pads drum able?

• edited December 2021

@WigWamBam said:

@MrSmileZ said:

Yes I must admit I am also tempted by the Force, it looks like Ableton in a hardware box.

It’s not standalone though is it?

It looks better for dance music than beat making which I like doing too.

Can you make beats on it like you can an mpc? Are the pads drum able?

Yeah it's standalone, you don't need a computer hooked up to it but it is massive and most definitely not a portable device, think Ableton push and then some size wise..

I've had a tinker in my local music shop and the pads are just as playable as the push 2 or launchpad MK3 both of which I own, wether or not the suit your playing style is purely a matter for you to decide, I'm at home on 64 and 16 pads..

if I didn't have a push 2 I'd nab a force but I do so I grabbed an mpc one, imho it's th best bang for buck mpc right now, it's got the complete current mpc experience without the hefty price tag of the live 2..