Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How do people create a 'score' for multi-instrument jam sessions?

I really enjoy jamming with a couple of synths in AUM - now I want to be able to (approximately) reproduce those session (maybe even do a live gig one day). Back in ye olden times you just write a score - I still (just about) remember how to read sheet music from piano lesson days. Doesn't work so well with a handful of synths with notes to play and knobs to tweak - wondering how people do it? Do you just memorize a sequence? Do you have a method for writing it down?

Comments

• Great question.

If you want your session exactly the same, you could use a combination of the following

1. A DAW like Cubasis to store your automated movements, MIDI entry, and more
    2. Recording your audio into different channels and saving it in a timeline DAW. Then you can easily playback stuff.
    3. Making your workflow a Groovebox/loop based workflow where you’re stacking and removing small ideas, as opposed to making a consistently dynamic piece, as with a lot of live recordings.

It’s easier to save an audio take of a session, than to have the MIDI and plugins. Something I’ve learned about the differences between MIDI and audio in a DAW is the amount of resources different plugins use. For a reliable setup, render the tracks to audio, and simply play back your recordings.

That said, one of the best advice I learnt this year from RKC and Bad Snacks were to keep some parts improvised, and others pre-planned. You want reliability with the preplanned sessions, but you’d want room for creativity whenever you improvise different pieces.

Hope this helps.

• You should still be able to write it as a score and include text directions. They may have to be more descriptive than typical Italian directions, but it should still work.

If you have any kind of MIDI involved there’s plenty of software than can automate the scoring for it.