Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Loopy Pro | Midi Controller Compatibility / Auto Mapping

I figured the Loopy Pro is Here thread is going to get about a billion comments. So I figured I would start one with specific question and comments about Midi Controller Compatibility and Auto mapping.

I just tested the Novation Launchpad Pro (The older one) Seems to work ok in Live Mode. It being an older midi controller I am sure there will be quirks and some stuff will need to be carefully planned and mapped to make full use of it.

Still need to test my Novation 49SLmk3, Arturia Minilab MK2.

Let everyone know your midi controller experience.

«13

Comments

  • APC40 works as demoed by this guy

  • Akai MPD 218 works. You have to map the pads to donuts, but once you do, they light up when playing, and flash when counting in to a recording.

    Also, Novation Launchpad mk3 works great. I bought one to use with LP

  • @mistercharlie said:
    Akai MPD 218 works. You have to map the pads to donuts, but once you do, they light up when playing, and flash when counting in to a recording.

    Also, Novation Launchpad mk3 works great. I bought one to use with LP

    Launchpad X works great, too.

  • I had just purchased a Akai MidiMix from Amazon a month ago. I just returned it for the APC40 MKII. Cant wait to try it with LP. I used to use Ableton Live on Mac with the original APC 40. It was great. I expect this to be even better.

  • LaunchKey Mini MK3 doesn’t seem to work yet.

  • @audiblevideo said:
    APC40 works as demoed by this guy

    that is pretty cool video .. i think this is huge honour to get soo much positive feedback from allmighty DubFX, god of realtime looping :-) I guess @Michael was pretty proud listening this :-)

  • @Michael
    Is Akai APC 25 compatible ?
    If not, will it be ?
    Thanks for your hard work and congrats ✨✨

  • @tahiche said:
    LaunchKey Mini MK3 doesn’t seem to work yet.

    I just plugged one in and it mapped. I didn't go any further.
    The notes and ccs for the buttons are exactly the same as the X.
    In other apps where the mini wasn't supported, I just sent the mini a sysex message in Mozaic and it picked right up and worked anywhere an X would.

  • @Johnba said:
    @Michael
    Is Akai APC 25 compatible ?
    If not, will it be ?
    Thanks for your hard work and congrats ✨✨

    My vote for apc key 25 😋

  • @AlmostAnonymous said:

    @tahiche said:
    LaunchKey Mini MK3 doesn’t seem to work yet.

    I just plugged one in and it mapped. I didn't go any further.
    The notes and ccs for the buttons are exactly the same as the X.
    In other apps where the mini wasn't supported, I just sent the mini a sysex message in Mozaic and it picked right up and worked anywhere an X would.

    Just tried again and my Launchkey mini mk3 doesn’t map and there’s no session mode. Do you just plug it in and it works?. I’m confused.

  • Ah..misread. Thought u said Launchpad mini.

  • Still might wanna try the sysex trick. Curious if it would work for you.

  • @AlmostAnonymous said:
    Still might wanna try the sysex trick. Curious if it would work for you.

    Is there a Mozaic patch for that?. You make it sound obvious! 😂

  • edited December 2021

    @tahiche said:

    @AlmostAnonymous said:
    Still might wanna try the sysex trick. Curious if it would work for you.

    Is there a Mozaic patch for that?. You make it sound obvious! 😂

    Yes please expand a little. (Another Launchkey Mini Mk3 user that doesn’t seem to map automatically and doesn’t know about sysex tricks)

  • edited December 2021

    I'd have to look at its programmers manual, but I'm sure the secret is in here as well:
    https://patchstorage.com/launchkey-helper/

    Edit: Doesn't seem like it uses sysex like the launchpads, or at least in the same way. You'll only have to look in the @onload section. I'd try it myself but I don't have one.

  • edited December 2021

    I dunno what it would do, or if it would work in loopy, but if I had one id try it just to see what happens

  • Hi-I am working on a Novation Circuit (original generation) template. If I get something worthwhile I will upload it for people to adapt if anyone is interested.

    I am still getting my head around some of the midi settings. Is there a way to map to the mixer? There doesn't seem to be a UI on the mixer panel iteself but I can see some parameters in the settings/midi control panel. Great to get some tips.

    I luckily managed to get an SP404mk2 in the last couple of weeks. But now I am wondering if I need Loopy Pro and the Mk2...

  • @AlmostAnonymous said:
    I'd have to look at its programmers manual, but I'm sure the secret is in here as well:
    https://patchstorage.com/launchkey-helper/

    Edit: Doesn't seem like it uses sysex like the launchpads, or at least in the same way. You'll only have to look in the @onload section. I'd try it myself but I don't have one.

    Thank you.

  • @kewtips said:
    I luckily managed to get an SP404mk2 in the last couple of weeks. But now I am wondering if I need Loopy Pro and the Mk2...

    Is there anything the MK2 can do that LP can't?

  • Yes and no...-the physical format really helps with workflow and muscle memory. And it does retro recording and basic sequencing very quickly. And it is an awesome companion for the ipad in terms of recording auv3 and youtube and external sources such as Mics and Guitars. So great for making recordings and playing them back into LPPro. But it does not really loop and given LPPro does one shots, I am unsure if the mk2 is "necessary".
    So may be Mk2 is capture and record tracks, LPPro is more arrange and perform with some live overdub (for me, ymmv).

  • As a feature request would be great to use a separate iOS device as a Bluetooth controller similar to Logic remote

  • @AlmostAnonymous said:
    I'd have to look at its programmers manual, but I'm sure the secret is in here as well:
    https://patchstorage.com/launchkey-helper/

    Edit: Doesn't seem like it uses sysex like the launchpads, or at least in the same way. You'll only have to look in the @onload section. I'd try it myself but I don't have one.

    I have a modified version of that Mozaic patch. It works as “custom” mode, it’s fine to use as a midi controller, but it’s not the same as the auto mapping or session mode. If I’m not mistaken you’d have to program all the midi info to get them to communicate.
    If the Launchkey Mini mk3 is indeed like the Launchpad it shouldn’t be too difficult to get it working so I hope Michael gets it done at some point.
    I like how Atom2 handles these, with the possibility to create your own startup script. That the way the community could help and get more scripts done.

  • @eye4aneye I haven't tested yet but should be possible if you are using the right app on another iOS device like Midi Designer or any app that can transmit midi via bluetooth. if you click on midi learn there is a bluetooth midi devices option. I will charge my original Air 1 later and test it out.

    @Michael I just found some custom firmware for the Launchpad Pro 1st version. it allows you to use Components to create some custom button mapping. Only thing is that is changes the port names of the LPPro. So Loopy no longer recognizes it for automatic Binding. I assume the automatic bindings are baked in. If I research and give you the exact port name could that be baked in for the custom firmware? Here in the link to the documentation.

    https://github.com/mat1jaczyyy/lpp-performance-cfw

  • @espiegel123 said:

    @mistercharlie said:
    Akai MPD 218 works. You have to map the pads to donuts, but once you do, they light up when playing, and flash when counting in to a recording.

    Also, Novation Launchpad mk3 works great. I bought one to use with LP

    Launchpad X works great, too.

    I actually have trouble with my LPX. Initially it works but sometimes all pads go dark except the top left pad. Pushing pads that went dark but should be mapped still work and also light up then but anyway that renders the LPX useless. I forgot to mention that another bug seems to be that the light blue donut column is actually three pads in the first row on the LPX. Is this a bug that should report or am I missing something?

  • @krassmann said:

    @espiegel123 said:

    @mistercharlie said:
    Akai MPD 218 works. You have to map the pads to donuts, but once you do, they light up when playing, and flash when counting in to a recording.

    Also, Novation Launchpad mk3 works great. I bought one to use with LP

    Launchpad X works great, too.

    I actually have trouble with my LPX. Initially it works but sometimes all pads go dark except the top left pad. Pushing pads that went dark but should be mapped still work and also light up then but anyway that renders the LPX useless. I forgot to mention that another bug seems to be that the light blue donut column is actually three pads in the first row on the LPX. Is this a bug that should report or am I missing something?

    You should report any issues you find to @michael. If you can provide a recipe for reproducing the issues that helps enormously. A video demonstration of the issue plus project to reproduce it is handy, too.

  • @dendy said:

    that is pretty cool video .. i think this is huge honour to get soo much positive feedback from allmighty DubFX, god of realtime looping :-) I guess @Michael was pretty proud listening this :-)

    Love him or hate him, I thought Marc Rebillet was the god of realtime looping. I think he uses a Boss RC505:

  • Lol, the shirt says “loop daddy” but technically, Marc would be the misguided child of the looping god. DubFX was doing his thing long before.

  • @Hmtx said:
    Lol, the shirt says “loop daddy” but technically, Marc would be the misguided child of the looping god. DubFX was doing his thing long before.

    Ha, you definitely got the "misguided" part right. Teaches me to judge a thing by youtube subscriber count.

  • @dendy @hes I know it’s a bit off topic but since we were posting some great loop artists here in this thread it’s a chance to mention a really cool musician who is from my city Berlin called Rico Loop. I saw him first time about 16 years ago. It’s truly inspiring to see some good loopers at a time when we are trying to come to terms with this shiny new app.

  • If you can look past the cursing and lyrical content, Marc’s YouTube channel is textbook excellent live looping technique. Clean sound design, quick build up of parts, perfect timing, great use of muting/unmuting different song sections, etc.
    For what its worth, the above Marc Rebillet video is fantastic… but I can’t really recommend most of his songs.

    LPro could do everything he does and more with the right tools. Anyone here tried out the RC505 template in Loopy Pro?

Sign In or Register to comment.