Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Loopy Pro is here!

Comments

• Bought immediately, of course. Congratulations, @Michael on what looks to be a mind-blowing achievement. I checked my soundcloud for the doodle I made on Loopy when Pro (Loopy Masterpiece back then) was first mentioned as a possibility, and it was seven years ago! Seven years work, interrupted by minor distractions such as becoming a father, and it costs less than a takeaway meal for two. The ongoing pricing model is the fairest I’ve seen on iOS, too.
    I plan on letting @JohnnyGoodyear et al do all the heavy lifting, learning-wise, while I sit back and wait for a raft of tutorial videos and the manual. I’ll dive in next year.
    Can’t resist one minor request. I hope @Michael will take inspiration from the NS2 piano roll when he implements midi 😀

• @wim said:

@richardyot said:
    Dare I ask: does Loopy Pro support Audiobus? I'm trying to figure out if there's any way to bring Lumbeat apps to the party.

You can load Loopy AUv3 in an Audiobus FX slot.
    You can also do the same in AUM to record output from Lumbeats apps.

No way to do it to the standalone at this time though.
    However, once you’ve captured loops you can always open an AUv3 project in the standalone.

Thanks - I'll try those.

• @sigma79 said:

@wim said:

@sigma79 said:
    Do you need a keyboard with midi channels/scenes like a nanokey. To not trigger all au's from the same midi channel?

Nope. You just set which app you want the controller to go to. You can also do channel selection and keyboard ranges.

If midi is sent to various au's. They will all trigger? If so. Surely the solution might be to have a piece of the circle to audition synth. So it will only trigger that au. So you can sort out the sound. Then another part of the circle will record the synth. Again not triggering other au's. Midi mappable of course.

Sorry, I can't seem to make any sense out of what you're saying there. Maybe I'm just too tired right now.

Or did you tell me how?

I thought I did, but I guess not. :D ;)

Maybe someone else will help out. I'm shutting down for tonight.

• edited December 2021

Also, I would suggest that everyone tries out all the different project templates. They’re all interesting, ranging from simple to extremely complicated! The one I particularly appreciated is the one called ‘CircleSongs Tutorial’, where there are a numbered series of one shots with voice audio in them that goes into some of the philosophies behind looping and building up your song. You go through the one shots in order and can’t help trying out what the narrator suggests each time… it’s a fun looping tutorial that seems much more interactive than a video!

And then if you want to see what proper looping artists can do with Loopy Pro, check out the start of the Dub FX video further up this page. Certainly had me thinking I have a long way to go to get even 1% as good with this app. Wow. :D

• @wim said:

@sigma79 said:

@wim said:

@sigma79 said:
    Do you need a keyboard with midi channels/scenes like a nanokey. To not trigger all au's from the same midi channel?

Nope. You just set which app you want the controller to go to. You can also do channel selection and keyboard ranges.

If midi is sent to various au's. They will all trigger? If so. Surely the solution might be to have a piece of the circle to audition synth. So it will only trigger that au. So you can sort out the sound. Then another part of the circle will record the synth. Again not triggering other au's. Midi mappable of course.

Sorry, I can't seem to make any sense out of what you're saying there. Maybe I'm just too tired right now.

Or did you tell me how?

I thought I did, but I guess not. :D ;)

Maybe someone else will help out. I'm shutting down for tonight.

Need to chill also. We will speak later Mr wim

• @sigma79 said:

@wim said:

@sigma79 said:

Or did you tell me how?

This isn't how the app works in terms of the loop donuts, which you're calling circles. You can't set 'a piece of the circle' to do one thing, and another part of the circle to do another.

You set up an AUv3 as an input and decide which 'colours' you want it to send the audio to. (By default, the audio also sends to the output channels 1&2.)

You then set up a MIDI input (ie. a keyboard or sequencer app) and choose which destinations (ie. AUv3 apps) you want it to go to.

To make it not play all AUv3s at once when you press the keyboard or sequence some notes in a MIDI app, you could transmit it to particular MIDI channels for each AUv3 (ie. channel for synth 1, channel 2 for synth 2) and then switch between them in your keyboard/app. Or you could mute the output of any AUv3s you don't want to listen to, so you don't hear them any more. Or you could turn off the main output for each AUv3 and just keep the colour routing, and then you'll only hear the AUv3 when you're recording to a loop of that colour. Or you could set the output of the controller to a particular note range for one AUv3, and another range for another AUv3.

Tons of ways to avoid having all AUv3s sound at once!

• MIDI actions to adjust instrument AUv3 params

I found this on the roadmap. I assume this means, there is no way to send midi ccs to AUv3 parameters at this point. Is that correct?

• One suggestion to all, something I discovered during beta test and I don’t see covered yet. To all the people wanting to use Loopy here and there (Drambo, AUM, Audiobus,…) or wanting to record IAA: Loopy’s copy/paste is VERY powerful. Say you want to work on your complete project in Loopy standalone but you need some recording from an IAA. It’s gonna be enough to open Loopy Au in another host, do your IAA recordings there (let’s say Lumbeat, since someone named it). Once they are ready, just go in edit mode, copy all the donuts you need, re open your Loopy standalone and paste them. Voilà…easy as that. No need to save Au project, open it or anything else…just a simple copy/paste. Ah…btw…Michael said this works also between different devices 😏

• And…while I’m there…a clarification about exporting an arrangement. You don’t need the record button. Once the arrangement is done in sequencer screen, at the bottom right you’ll find the typical Apple export icon with the choice to export the Stereo Mix or Multi Track

• @Artvarg said:

MIDI actions to adjust instrument AUv3 params

I found this on the roadmap. I assume this means, there is no way to send midi ccs to AUv3 parameters at this point. Is that correct?

Yes you can connect a midi source to an AUv3 instrument and map ccs from your controller. Although it is not available for AUv3 effects yet. And if you want you can map a controller to an onscreen widget, such as a physical knob to an on screen dial, and then map that dial with all the midi actions that Loopy Pro offers, for which there are many. So you could create a virtual version of your controller and then configure that In different ways for different workflows. Already it’s fantastically versatile.

• edited December 2021

One thing I’ve been struggling with is monitoring.

Whilst recording my latest session, I had the problem with au’s being recorded ‘double’ whilst playing them. Once from their own strip, and once from the colour strip they’re targeted to.

If I mute the au strip it doesn’t play anywhere I don’t think.
    If I turn off targetting the colour, then of course it doesn’t record on a donut.
    If I turn off output 1+2 on the au strip and just target the colour, I can’t hear it at all when I’m playing it.

Monitor through to the rescue? Probably, but if I monitor through a colour or 1+2 it records twice again.

I’m a bit stuck and not really understanding. I want the audio to be recorded when playing the initial loop of course, but just not doubled up.

Edit: when I say recorded, I mean the main recording button, not to anywhere specific. Maybe I need to just select all the colours to record apart from a monitoring colour??? I’d be interested to hear what others are doing

• edited December 2021

I’m totally excited about this app. After a few hours of using it, I’m stunned. A new world of music making just opened up to me. I think it’s a game changer on the iPad, if not beyond that. Since I’m on the iPad I always envied a DAW like Ableton Live but now I think it has turned around. I think Loopy Pro boldly goes where no looper had gone before. Beam me up Scotty.

• Has the beta ended? I updated via Testflight but it seems to have downloaded the release, i.e., no recording without buying. I will buy but might be in a couple of weeks. Or minutes. Depends how strong my resolve is.

• @gregsmith said:

Whilst recording my latest session, I had the problem with au’s being recorded ‘double’ whilst playing them. Once from their own strip, and once from the colour strip they’re targeted to.

If I turn off targetting the colour, then of course it doesn’t record on a donut.
    If I turn off output 1+2 on the au strip and just target the colour, I can’t hear it at all when I’m playing it.

Monitor through to the rescue? Probably, but if I monitor through a colour or 1+2 it records twice again.

I’m a bit stuck and not really understanding. I want the audio to be recorded when playing the initial loop of course, but just not doubled up.

Edit: when I say recorded, I mean the main recording button, not to anywhere specific. Maybe I need to just select all the colours to record apart from a monitoring colour??? I’d be interested to hear what others are doing

How about monitoring through a different colour to the one you are recording to? I.e. dedicate a colour for monitoring only.

• @gregsmith said:

Are you referring to continuing to hear the source audio after the loop has been recorded, and begins to play back?

• @suitsus said:

@gregsmith said:

How about monitoring through a different colour to the one you are recording to? I.e. dedicate a colour for monitoring only.

Makes sense. I guess you can just create a master bus and route all the other colours to that?
    I’m used to doing these things in aum so should be easy really ☺️

• @suitsus said:

@Artvarg said:

MIDI actions to adjust instrument AUv3 params

Yes you can connect a midi source to an AUv3 instrument and map ccs from your controller. Although it is not available for AUv3 effects yet. And if you want you can map a controller to an onscreen widget, such as a physical knob to an on screen dial, and then map that dial with all the midi actions that Loopy Pro offers, for which there are many. So you could create a virtual version of your controller and then configure that In different ways for different workflows. Already it’s fantastically versatile.

Thanks. I only tried with effects. Guess I’ll have to play around a bit more to understand the routing.

• @gregsmith said:

@suitsus said:

@gregsmith said:

Makes sense. I guess you can just create a master bus and route all the other colours to that?
    I’m used to doing these things in aum so should be easy really ☺️

Re Aum, me too. You could do that or if you have an audio interface you could just send your monitoring colour to a different output, e.g. the headphones.

• @Ailerom said:
    Has the beta ended? I updated via Testflight but it seems to have downloaded the release, i.e., no recording without buying. I will buy but might be in a couple of weeks. Or minutes. Depends how strong my resolve is.

buyyy it
    buyitttttt
    justbuuuuyy
    dontwaiiit

• @GRiker said:

@gregsmith said:

Are you referring to continuing to hear the source audio after the loop has been recorded, and begins to play back?

No, it gets recorded at the same time from 2 sources, resulting in phasing and distortion ☺️

• Just now bought Neon Audio Editor, primarily to use within Loopy Pro, and was thrilled with how well they work together. Just needed to setup Loopy’s Synchronization settings to get the transports synced up. (I think ableton link did the trick)

Dragging edited audio from Neon’s media bay to a loopy donut works as expected, so it’s super convenient for doing a quick reverse or other common edits and effects.

• @supadom said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@seonnthaproducer said:
    Had to share this. One of the sickest uses of Loopy Pro

It is sick I agree. @Michael shared that one in the op

…but since then the top became the bottom

Wow, thanks. Great reminder to check the front page before posting. Took me to page 5 or so 😅

• edited December 2021

@Ailerom said:
    Has the beta ended? I updated via Testflight but it seems to have downloaded the release, i.e., no recording without buying. I will buy but might be in a couple of weeks. Or minutes. Depends how strong my resolve is.

The beta's still going for now. If you have the Testflight version (confirm for sure by going into Testflight and seeing if Loopy Pro says 'Open' rather than 'Update' - if it says the latter, then update before opening), you won't be charged for the IAP. You go as if to pay, and before you confirm you'll be able to read in a little box that you won't pay under Testflight.

• @Eschatone said:
    Just now bought Neon Audio Editor, primarily to use within Loopy Pro, and was thrilled with how well they work together. Just needed to setup Loopy’s Synchronization settings to get the transports synced up. (I think ableton link did the trick)

Dragging edited audio from Neon’s media bay to a loopy donut works as expected, so it’s super convenient for doing a quick reverse or other common edits and effects.

Neon doesn’t support Ableton Link, so if you want the Neon transport synced to LP, engage ‘Host Sync’. I typically load Neon as an AU within LP, with Host Sync disengaged, so I can edit and audition a buffer in Neon before dragging it to an LP donut. As you say, super convenient for tweaking and mangling samples.

• edited December 2021

@Ailerom said:

You don’t actually purchase the IAP in the beta, it won’t actually charge you anything.

But if you do like the app (which you will), do consider supporting Michael on this sooner rather than later if possible, he’s already put in a mind numbing amount of time and effort into this.

• Hello @Michael, I just installed Loopy Pro it it looks amazing! For my use, it may become the main app to then host other instruments and effects apps.

I’m using the iPad with a SP 404 MKII (fairly new so I’m exploring workflows). One thing that I find out is that to record a rythmical sample in the SP and start the recording “in time”, it seems beneficial to have the SP as the master clock.

The reason is that I can start the recording by pressing a pad on the SP, so it starts on time. The opposite isn’t true, if I start an app that sends sync to the SP, the pad (pattern) doesn’t start.

So, long story short, I’d love to be able to use Loopy Pro as a MIDI clock slave, and from what I see it isn’t available. I know it’s hard to talk about future plans but it’s worth a try - would you consider offering MIDI clock slave capabilities?

Cheers and congratulations are in order, stunning release!

PS: I hope it's not a redundant question, I haven't read the whole thread!

• edited December 2021

@gregsmith said:

@GRiker said:

@gregsmith said:

No, it gets recorded at the same time from 2 sources, resulting in phasing and distortion ☺️

I'm a bit confused at how that can happen with the setup you're describing. The only recording that should be happening is from the signal that's being routed to a colour. The main output (the only other place that could be receiving audio as you describe it) doesn't record anywhere unless you manually add donut colours to it, so your signal should only be recording once. While there are certainly scenarios where you hear what you're playing 'twice' while you're actually playing it, it shouldn't double record. Hmmm, I wonder what's going on. Can you screen record a video?

• edited December 2021

@Michael_R_Grant said:

@gregsmith said:

@GRiker said:

@gregsmith said:

I'm a bit confused at how that can happen with the setup you're describing. The only recording that should be happening is from the signal that's being routed to a colour. The main output (the only other place that could be receiving audio as you describe it) doesn't record anywhere unless you manually add donut colours to it, so your signal should only be recording once. While there are certainly scenarios where you hear what you're playing 'twice' while you're actually playing it, it shouldn't double record. Hmmm, I wonder what's going on. Can you screen record a video?

Odd isn’t it. You can hear it a few times in my video below. Listen to the bass for instance - it’s double loud when I’m playing, then when it’s just the donut it’s how it should be:

I’m sure I’m just doing something silly - will keep an eye on other videos that come out and see how others deal with it.

@espiegel123 said it could be because of echo cancellation being on, so I’ll try turning that off too.

Oh, and I did record ‘combined output’ - maybe I need to choose something else?

• @gregsmith The only time you have the option to record ‘combined output’ is if you’re recording a session mix, or recording a performance to the sequencer. To record to a loop, you only need to touch the destination loop.

• @Eschatone said:
    Just now bought Neon Audio Editor, primarily to use within Loopy Pro, and was thrilled with how well they work together. Just needed to setup Loopy’s Synchronization settings to get the transports synced up. (I think ableton link did the trick)

While I love Neon and am very sad that AudioShare still does not support drag-and-drop ( @j_liljedahl ) you may want to give "Sample Crate" a try!

https://apps.apple.com/app/sample-crate/id1593900129?l=en

My App Store Shurtcut does not work anymore since i*OS 15... so no more details.

It can work on any document provider including AudioShare and you can preview samples before dragging them over into Loopy Pro!

It's fantastic!