Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Loopy Pro is here!

Comments

• @quartzite @wim Thanks for the replies, wasn’t sure of the etiquette for patch sharing with this one. I’ve seen a few individuals linking to their own files, thought I saw mention of a PatchStorage page in the earlier thread, was thinking I might find a dedicated Loopy Pro patch sharing thread on this forum. In any event it should be exciting to see what the community does with this…much like Drambo, it has enough functionality to entirely recreate some other apps within a project file, with the planned updates it sounds like the sky’s the limit.

• @RajahP said:
    Is there anyway to ‘edit’ the slicer? Moving start points, etc?

Not at this time. Currently it either uses an transient detector or evenly distributed slices.

• Thanks @wim @GRiker @JohnInBoston. All good tips!

LP is deep! I hadn't gotten into the follow actions yet. I know it's workflow dependent but for me, being able to auto toggle the mute/unmute for input was super key for using LP as AU. So, thanks!

• Alright, please someone help out a bit. I routed Hammerhead AU and recorded 3 different loops (the 2 bright red donuts and the one teal one) no problem. Then loaded Animoog AU, set it up for pink to monitor, but when I record pink, nothing records. However, I have retroactive feature turned on and when I go back there is the tail of what I’m playing. My brain is fried at this point and I’m prob missing something obvious, but I have to solve this before I sleep.

• @oat_phipps said:
    Alright, please someone help out a bit. I routed Hammerhead AU and recorded 3 different loops (the 2 bright red donuts and the one teal one) no problem. Then loaded Animoog AU, set it up for pink to monitor, but when I record pink, nothing records. However, I have retroactive feature turned on and when I go back there is the tail of what I’m playing. My brain is fried at this point and I’m prob missing something obvious, but I have to solve this before I sleep.

if using retroactive looper, did you play for at least one clock cycle (the number of bars set in the tempo panel) after playback started before tapping the loop? just making sure: you played what you wanted to capture before tapping an empty loop. Are you using the immediate or quantized setting?

• @oat_phipps : i notice that you are monitoring through both the color and the main output. You probably only want through one of those.

• edited December 2021

@espiegel123 said:

@oat_phipps said:
    Alright, please someone help out a bit. I routed Hammerhead AU and recorded 3 different loops (the 2 bright red donuts and the one teal one) no problem. Then loaded Animoog AU, set it up for pink to monitor, but when I record pink, nothing records. However, I have retroactive feature turned on and when I go back there is the tail of what I’m playing. My brain is fried at this point and I’m prob missing something obvious, but I have to solve this before I sleep.

if using retroactive looper, did you play for at least one clock cycle (the number of bars set in the tempo panel) after playback started before tapping the loop? just making sure: you played what you wanted to capture before tapping an empty loop. Are you using the immediate or quantized setting?

Quantized. Thanks for the explanation, I think. I turned the retroactive recording off, then nothing, but when I changed setting from 8 bars custom to match with master loop, voila, got audio recording. I’m gonna leave off at this point for now and check back tomorrow since I’m back at square one.

Edit: and yeah, thanks for the heads up in case, but I’m aware of the monitoring. Was just trying things to get the audio recording again. Thanks.

• Pretty sure this must have been pimped already, but @thesoundtestroom Doug's very quick and easy explanation of hooking up a sequencer (Riffer in this case) and getting going really did get me going and off, with a few effects so easily added, into FUNLAND and it's been a while and I'm grateful.

• Had to share this. One of the sickest uses of Loopy Pro

• edited December 2021

Scenario: I want to record the first loop. I'm listen to the metronome [1....2....3....4....].

What is the setting for a loop in Loopy Pro for recording a loop like in Ableton Live or Quantiloop? (Hit start record within [....3....4....] and hit end record within [....3....4....]). I just don't get it.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @oat_phipps : i notice that you are monitoring through both the color and the main output. You probably only want through one of those.

...and while you're on the subject.....I saw monitoring somewhere at some point, but now can't get back there and I'd REALLY like to stop listening to the noise in my room through the headphones while I'm fiddling :) Could you remind me please skipper.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @oat_phipps : i notice that you are monitoring through both the color and the main output. You probably only want through one of those.

...and while you're on the subject.....I saw monitoring somewhere at some point, but now can't get back there and I'd REALLY like to stop listening to the noise in my room through the headphones while I'm fiddling :) Could you remind me please skipper.

Tap on the mic icon at the top of the mic's channel to pop up the set up panel for the channel.

• @seonnthaproducer said:
    Had to share this. One of the sickest uses of Loopy Pro

It is sick I agree. @Michael shared that one in the op

• wimwim
    edited December 2021

@psyndrome said:
    Scenario: I want to record the first loop. I'm listen to the metronome [1....2....3....4....].

What is the setting for a loop in Loopy Pro for recording a loop like in Ableton Live or Quantiloop? (Hit start record within [....3....4....] and hit end record within [....3....4....]). I just don't get it.

There are several ways to answer that. Once you get the settings right it can work any way you want it to.

When you say "Hit start record", are you thinking of the record button at the top-right? That's actually for something different. You start recording by tapping an empty loop. If you're listening to the metronome then you must have set a temp and started the transport.

With the default settings, if you have the tempo and haven't set a number of bars, then recording will start at the next measure and only record for one bar. If you set a number of bars the default settings will stop the recording at the end of that number of bars.

But! it's all in the settings. If you describe how you'd like it to work then someone can surely point you to the settings to make it work that way.

• @psyndrome said:

The settings that determine when recording clips (by tapping on them) are Count Out Quantization and Count In Quantization and the master length (set in the tempo panel). Also Auto Count Out

Read the descriptions in the Clip Settings panel. Count in quantization sets when recording starts in relation to when you tap. When it is off recording starts immediately. When set to master, after you tap, Loopy will count down till the beginning of the next cycle. If you set it to custom, you can set a number of beats or bars to count down...for cases where you don't need Loopy to guarantee that a recording aligns with a master length cycle.

Count out does the same for ending the loop. Auto Count Count automatically end the recording after one master length cycle.

• @espiegel123 said:

@RajahP said:
    Is there anyway to ‘edit’ the slicer? Moving start points, etc?

Not at this time. Currently it either uses an transient detector or evenly distributed slices.

ok.. Thanks..

• @Paulinko said:
    Add me to the list of people who really aren’t loopers yet I will be using Loopy Pro quite extensively. The ability to easily record loops using several different methods from mic, hardware, and AU instruments plus being able to put them through FX is excellent. If all else fails, I can always edit the loops too.

Being able to sequence by playing the loops and recording the performance or manually entering them in the sequencer is great. I like all of the options for buses and sends plus room for master FX too.

I think way more of us use loops than we think. Any MIDI sequence is a loop, and Ableton clips are loops. They’re just not donut shaped.

I’m using LP a lot like an Octatrack. I have an instance of Drambo to use as a sequencer for audio units, and then I “print” variations of the sequences to donuts.

I can then use Egoist, or another mangling-style app, to further process things.

Somehow, LP is tying everything together in a way that really works for me. I love it.

• Can someone explain to me how I can send CCs from a midi effect to another AUv3? I‘m trying to send Rozeta LFO to Koala FX, but can’t find anything CC related.

• Dare I ask: does Loopy Pro support Audiobus? I'm trying to figure out if there's any way to bring Lumbeat apps to the party.

• @Artvarg said:
    Can someone explain to me how I can send CCs from a midi effect to another AUv3? I‘m trying to send Rozeta LFO to Koala FX, but can’t find anything CC related.

Looking for the same thing, only from the Drambo AU.

• @Edward_Alexander said:

@seonnthaproducer said:
    Had to share this. One of the sickest uses of Loopy Pro

It is sick I agree. @Michael shared that one in the op

…but since then the top became the bottom

• @espiegel123 said:

@szczyp said:
    Is midi output working in auv3 mode?

Yes but the midi comes back out of the AUM midi port. This will be addressed soon

@mistercharlie said:

@Artvarg said:
    Can someone explain to me how I can send CCs from a midi effect to another AUv3? I‘m trying to send Rozeta LFO to Koala FX, but can’t find anything CC related.

Looking for the same thing, only from the Drambo AU.

I tried to send midi from LP knobs auv3 under Drambo but there is no MIDI out port on auv3 module?

• How is this app even real? It’s like the developer thought of every single requirement a live looping/song writing musician might need (and then some) and preemptively added it all in there.

I have the Aeoros Looper, the RC505, the Trio+, and this blows them all out of the water. They were all powerful, but there’s always one feature or the other missing that prevented them from fitting my workflow exactly. (I’m a guitarist, and I like to jam and compose on the fly) Every musician has a unique (sometimes eccentric) workflows; the cool thing about this app is that it’s so powerful it can be configured for any possible workflow. You can literally recreate all the hardware loopers in it in minutes. The stem export of the arrangement is the icing on the cake, something none of the hardware loopers I know can do.

If he puts this on the Mac/Windows (as he apparently plans to do), then this would be a pretty good contender as the DAW of choice for a lot of people (if he adds a few more features). Even the mighty Ableton cannot be made into a live looping app this flexible without a ton of custom scripts. I’m buying a new iPad just for this app, (I have an older one I tried it on) and going to plug in my MC8 and Novation Launchpad and I’m golden.

If this takes off (as it should) I hope the dev builds an organization around it to speed up releases and features and to ensure business continuity.

• @tathakadipuram said:
    How is this app even real? It’s like the developer thought of every single requirement a live looping/song writing musician might need (and then some) and preemptively added it all in there.

I have the Aeoros Looper, the RC505, the Trio+, and this blows them all out of the water. They were all powerful, but there’s always one feature or the other missing that prevented them from fitting my workflow exactly. (I’m a guitarist, and I like to jam and compose on the fly) Every musician has a unique (sometimes eccentric) workflows; the cool thing about this app is that it’s so powerful it can be configured for any possible workflow. You can literally recreate all the hardware loopers in it in minutes. The stem export of the arrangement is the icing on the cake, something none of the hardware loopers I know can do.

If he puts this on the Mac/Windows (as he apparently plans to do), then this would be a pretty good contender as the DAW of choice for a lot of people (if he adds a few more features). Even the mighty Ableton cannot be made into a live looping app this flexible without a ton of custom scripts. I’m buying a new iPad just for this app, (I have an older one I tried it on) and going to plug in my MC8 and Novation Launchpad and I’m golden.

If this takes off (as it should) I hope the dev builds an organization around it to speed up releases and features and to ensure business continuity.

❤️❤️

• @richardyot said:
    Dare I ask: does Loopy Pro support Audiobus? I'm trying to figure out if there's any way to bring Lumbeat apps to the party.

You can load Loopy AUv3 in an Audiobus FX slot.
    You can also do the same in AUM to record output from Lumbeats apps.

No way to do it to the standalone at this time though.
    However, once you’ve captured loops you can always open an AUv3 project in the standalone.

• Do you need a keyboard with midi channels/scenes like a nanokey. To not trigger all au's from the same midi channel?

• wimwim
    edited December 2021

@sigma79 said:
    Do you need a keyboard with midi channels/scenes like a nanokey. To not trigger all au's from the same midi channel?

Nope. You just set which app you want the controller to go to. You can also do channel selection and keyboard ranges.

• Is there a way to loop sequentially from the same source donut to donut?

• @wim said:

@sigma79 said:
    Do you need a keyboard with midi channels/scenes like a nanokey. To not trigger all au's from the same midi channel?

Nope. You just set which app you want the controller to go to. You can also do channel selection and keyboard ranges.

If midi is sent to various au's. They will all trigger? If so. Surely the solution might be to have a piece of the circle to audition synth. So it will only trigger that au. So you can sort out the sound. Then another part of the circle will record the synth. Again not triggering other au's. Midi mappable of course.

Or did you tell me how?

• @JohnInBoston said:

@GRiker said:

@JohnInBoston said:
    Excellent! When I expand the mixer, I see the Destinations and now have signal piped to Orange. My external synth is making noise -- not good mind you, but enough to get the job done -- and the signal is above the One Shot trigger threshold. But but I hit Record and tap an Orange loop, I get a big flat nothing.

The REC button (top right) is for capturing mixes, or performances to the sequencer timeline. Touch an individual loop to record to it.

I think that's it! Thought I needed to hit the Rec button to record loops. Not so much... Thanks!

Aha! There’s always a solution! Definitely watch the JP tutorial linked in the first post of this thread, it’s honestly SO useful.