Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Loopy Pro is here!

Comments

• edited January 2022

@Michael_R_Grant said:

@cyberheater said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:
    You can also record them into the sequence, though.

Thanks. I've not worked out how to do that yet. I'll have a look.

Hit the 'REC' button at the top of the screen and select 'Record Sequence' from the options that appear,

That worked great. Thanks.
    And thank you espiegel123 as well.

So to answer Samu's question. Koala still has the edge when it comes to recording sequences (I can't imagine anything to be easier than Koala to be honest). There's not a lot in it though. Worth investing in Loopy Pro. It's awesome.

• I’m getting lots of freezes using Spacecraft Granular as an au instrument (only instrument in the project). Also no luck still with koala - lots of crashes and have sent logs.

I’m running ios15 on a 2017 iPad - is anyone else on one of these and not having issues with au crashes and feeezes?

• @hightunnels said:
    I’m getting lots of freezes using Spacecraft Granular as an au instrument (only instrument in the project). Also no luck still with koala - lots of crashes and have sent logs.

I’m running ios15 on a 2017 iPad - is anyone else on one of these and not having issues with au crashes and feeezes?

You are not alone having trouble with Koala. There have a number of people commenting on it. I’ve had trouble, too. I haven’t used Spacecraft in LP enough to comment.

• @Samu said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

Probably just as fast but you draw the sequences in rather then playing them manually.

You can also record them into the sequence, though.

Cool, can each of the recorded events be individually modified? (Like different level, pitch, reverse etc?).

Yah, I think I am probably in the same boat. Once that timeline has editing options and automation, the ability to do some next level tweaky stuff then I am in. Right now I have tons of sketching / flow state options.

• Trial period over and bought, absolute no brainier and worth every penny. I am a very happy chappy

• I love how much cpu loopy pro saves. I can record a auv3 midi with the cpu meter up a 12%, imprint it to audio and turn the auv3 off and the cpu meter is back down to 3% or so.

I can't see the need to ever have to upgrade my iPad.

• @Doc_T said:

@Samu said:
    How's Loopy Pro doing when it comes to manually sequencing one-shots on the time-line, does it beat Koala yet?
    I admit I'm too lazy to get into it, other apps keep me busy...

So why do you wanna know if you are too lazy anyway?

I think that the Audiobus Forum Account of @Samu is in such a good state of credit that he is able to ask whatever queries that may occur to him whilst maintaining a very low expectation of being questioned about his motives. Particularly when the answer is patently obvious anyway.

• @robosardine said:

I think that the Audiobus Forum Account of @Samu is in such a good state of credit that he is able to ask whatever queries that may occur to him whilst maintaining a very low expectation of being questioned about his motives. Particularly when the answer is patently obvious anyway.

The question has already been somewhat answered as each object gets a track in the sequencer so it's possible to 'paint in' the one-shots but currently in order to pitch the sounds a copy of an object is needed.

I listened/watched Jade Stars interview with Michael last night and playable samples was on the to-do list together with midi-clips which should bring us closer to the goal but there was no ETA on when. I suspect it'll part of the first paid-update as it would a 'major' feature addition :sunglasses:

Current focus for me is on Drambo, Koala, DRC, Tonality, Mela 2 and SunVox 2.
    So far it's been ZERO new apps for me this year...

I will take a look at Loopy Pro when the midi-clips arrive.

Cheers!

• @Samu said:

@robosardine said:

The question has already been somewhat answered as each object gets a track in the sequencer so it's possible to 'paint in' the one-shots but currently in order to pitch the sounds a copy of an object is needed.

I listened/watched Jade Stars interview with Michael last night and playable samples was on the to-do list together with midi-clips which should bring us closer to the goal but there was no ETA on when. I suspect it'll part of the first paid-update as it would a 'major' feature addition :sunglasses:

Current focus for me is on Drambo, Koala, DRC, Tonality, Mela 2 and SunVox 2.
    So far it's been ZERO new apps for me this year...

I will take a look at Loopy Pro when the midi-clips arrive.

Cheers!

I wasn’t meaning the question you asked about Loopy Pro was obvious @Samu - I was meaning the question that @Doc_T asked you about ‘why do you want to know?’

• So... No MIDI Out in the AU version of Loopy Pro?

I was looking to set up a simple XY pad in AUM, but Loopy Pro AU only shows up as a destination.

This can't be right, can it? I searched for an answer, but searching this forum is dreadful.

• @ChimmyChungaFace said:
    So... No MIDI Out in the AU version of Loopy Pro?

I was looking to set up a simple XY pad in AUM, but Loopy Pro AU only shows up as a destination.

This can't be right, can it? I searched for an answer, but searching this forum is dreadful.

Figured it out: You have to use the AUM Destination, send Loopy Pro to it from within Loopy Pro, and the effect to receive it.

• When this finally gets MIDI Looping, it is going to be a beast.

Yes, that's my vote for MIDI Looping to be next on the To Do List. :p

• @ChimmyChungaFace said:
    When this finally gets MIDI Looping, it is going to be a beast.

This is a tricky one… Should we expect an app to do everything or is a more modular approach desirable?. As consumers/users I believe a modular approach to apps is more rewarding and gets us to places faster.

I’ve been complaining forever about the lack of a solid audio clip/loop solution for an AUM or Inter-app (modular) workflow. For midi looping/clips we had LK, Atom2, Helium… extremely capable and solid apps that provide a great workflow. Yet there wasn’t a good audio solution. There were workarounds involving 4p MultiTrack or multiple Ensos, or Drambo, but very convulted and prone to errors and blocks.
    So we get Loopy that covers everything you’d want for audio looping and triggering. Massive. From 0 to 100. And now we’re asking Loopy to do midi?. In my opinion Loopy should focus on audio, where there’s still a ton of really cool features and ideas to evolve, and let LK, Atom, etc take care of midi, where they’re already ahead.
    If Loopy sequencer could send midi messages to control these Midi sequencers you’d already be covered. These midi sequencers would keep evolving and getting better, Loopy would not overlap and concentrate on what already makes it amazing… So these Devs win and collaborate, we win because the whole ecosystem evolves at a faster rate and we get more goodies and options.
    There was a lot of talk about LK getting audio clips. It was the same situation from the other position. And it makes sense that they stuck to midi. Loopy is above all an audio looper with a very nice sequencer and a million possibilities, if it tries to be a timeline daw with midi, etc, it’ll be like other daws, run onto the same problem of other daws… we’ll have 20 apps that are great but each one missing something… Modular means you take the best out of every app, combine them as you wish. Collaborate and advance.
    Sorry for the rant 🤓

• @tahiche said:

@ChimmyChungaFace said:

This is a tricky one… Should we expect an app to do everything or is a more modular approach desirable?. As consumers/users I believe a modular approach to apps is more rewarding and gets us to places faster.

I’ve been complaining forever about the lack of a solid audio clip/loop solution for an AUM or Inter-app (modular) workflow. For midi looping/clips we had LK, Atom2, Helium… extremely capable and solid apps that provide a great workflow. Yet there wasn’t a good audio solution. There were workarounds involving 4p MultiTrack or multiple Ensos, or Drambo, but very convulted and prone to errors and blocks.
    So we get Loopy that covers everything you’d want for audio looping and triggering. Massive. From 0 to 100. And now we’re asking Loopy to do midi?. In my opinion Loopy should focus on audio, where there’s still a ton of really cool features and ideas to evolve, and let LK, Atom, etc take care of midi, where they’re already ahead.
    If Loopy sequencer could send midi messages to control these Midi sequencers you’d already be covered. These midi sequencers would keep evolving and getting better, Loopy would not overlap and concentrate on what already makes it amazing… So these Devs win and collaborate, we win because the whole ecosystem evolves at a faster rate and we get more goodies and options.
    There was a lot of talk about LK getting audio clips. It was the same situation from the other position. And it makes sense that they stuck to midi. Loopy is above all an audio looper with a very nice sequencer and a million possibilities, if it tries to be a timeline daw with midi, etc, it’ll be like other daws, run onto the same problem of other daws… we’ll have 20 apps that are great but each one missing something… Modular means you take the best out of every app, combine them as you wish. Collaborate and advance.
    Sorry for the rant 🤓

Spot on, IMHO.

• edited January 2022

@tahiche said:

@ChimmyChungaFace said:

Sorry for the rant 🤓

Not sure I entirely follow the rant but it looks like the app / roadmap has already committed to things you want to be avoided. To back out now would probably not be good.

• With all the “complaining” about all the incomplete DAWs on iOS, why shouldn’t someone aspire to create a complete DAW?

• edited January 2022

@tahiche said:

@ChimmyChungaFace said:

Sorry for the rant 🤓

I agree with you IF the implementation of MIDI isn't good. If, however, it is good (and there's no reason at all from the quality of other things in Loopy Pro to think it wouldn't be), then it'll be amazing to have it in there. From the looks of it, Michael is committed to implementing the functionality of many advanced looper pedals and FX units to keep the hardcore crowd happy, and also implement MIDI loops for everyone. I don't see what the problem is. I've seen in the beta process how a feature can go from nothing to 100 very quickly where Michael is concerned - for example, the mixer which didn't even really exist when I started testing in November, but is now already massively capable and intuitive. Adding MIDI sequencer apps is a faff, so being able to do MIDI directly from Loopy Pro will be much better. Knowing Michael, the design will be elegant and he'll implement many tens of features that will be requested by his beta team!

Think about how much better Nanostudio 2 would be with audio tracks...

• @Sawiton said:
    With all the “complaining” about all the incomplete DAWs on iOS, why shouldn’t someone aspire to create a complete DAW?

If anyone can do it, it’s Michael.

• People. MIDI looping is going to come whether you think it should or not. It is on Michael’s roadmap .He also said months ago that other aspects of LP would be tidied up before launching into the midi recording/playback/editing happened.

• @espiegel123 said:
    People. MIDI looping is going to come whether you think it should or not. It is on Michael’s roadmap .He also said months ago that other aspects of LP would be tidied up before launching into the midi recording/playback/editing happened.

Right, roadmaps are about “prioritize until it hurts “.

• edited January 2022

I for one also want midi looping. Lot of us want midi looping.

EDIT: Edited to remove the confrontation part of my post as I'm trying to be less of an arse online.

• dude using loopy's loop interface for looping midi is like, going to be the best thing ever. truly there is nothing else out there like it right now where you can loop midi so freeform so quickly... imagine just having a midi keyboard routed to a color in loopy. You could create loops SO fast, and with all of loopy's great looping features (like retrospective recording!).

• @sloJordan said:
    dude using loopy's loop interface for looping midi is like, going to be the best thing ever. truly there is nothing else out there like it right now where you can loop midi so freeform so quickly... imagine just having a midi keyboard routed to a color in loopy. You could create loops SO fast, and with all of loopy's great looping features (like retrospective recording!).

Yep. I've got external midi hardware that is begging for it.

• wimwim
    edited January 2022

It's funny because I was one of the earliest whiners back when it was first said that MIDI looping would be sometime after the initial release. My thinking was that there are already more than enough audio loopers but really nothing that has both, so what better way to rise clearly above the competition?

Beta testing caused me to spend a good portion of time every day creating with no MIDI "safety net" and it was transformative. I've never had so much freedom and creativity released. Not being able to go back and endlessly tweak has really been freeing.

So, now I'm awaiting MIDI looping with mixed emotions. I know it's coming and that Michael will do a fabulous job with it, but I'm almost not looking forward to it. Very weird.

Finally what I came here to say ... I know it would cause a shitstorm of complaining, but I almost wish that MIDI looping would come with no editor beyond the trim and repositioning, and the import and export, exist for audio now.

• The more I think about restricting the editing of midi, the more I like it. It gives you some of the freedoms of midi like where you’ll send it, but forces you to keep that same performance/ looping mentality that works for audio.

Though we’d be unable to mute the resulting loop of complaints

• @KA_ said:
    restricting the editing of midi

I'm a terrible piano player, so for me, I really need midi, and midi-editing, to correct all my mistakes! And having to import/export midi to other apps rather massively slows work-flow. Also, I'm rather excited to see how midi-editing might be implemented in Loopy-Pro, given how nice everything else is!

• wimwim
    edited January 2022

@KA_ said:
    The more I think about restricting the editing of midi, the more I like it. It gives you some of the freedoms of midi like where you’ll send it, but forces you to keep that same performance/ looping mentality that works for audio.

A complaint looper is planned. It just hasn't been added to the published roadmap yet.

• @wim said:
    Finally what I came here to say ... I know it would cause a shitstorm of complaining, but I almost wish that MIDI looping would come with no editor beyond the trim and repositioning, and the import and export, exist for audio now.

I'd be happy with that but I'm an okay keyboard player.

• I defo want midi looping, mostly so that it can all be arranged on the timeline together.

• @wim said:

@KA_ said:
    The more I think about restricting the editing of midi, the more I like it. It gives you some of the freedoms of midi like where you’ll send it, but forces you to keep that same performance/ looping mentality that works for audio.

A complaint looper is planned. It just hasn't been added to the published roadmap yet.

Hahaha, post of the month right here!