Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Loopy Pro is here!

Comments

• @GRiker said:
    @gregsmith The only time you have the option to record ‘combined output’ is if you’re recording a session mix, or recording a performance to the sequencer. To record to a loop, you only need to touch the destination loop.

Thanks. I think my video falls under the ‘session mix’ category?

• @GRiker said:

@Eschatone said:
    Just now bought Neon Audio Editor, primarily to use within Loopy Pro, and was thrilled with how well they work together. Just needed to setup Loopy’s Synchronization settings to get the transports synced up. (I think ableton link did the trick)

Dragging edited audio from Neon’s media bay to a loopy donut works as expected, so it’s super convenient for doing a quick reverse or other common edits and effects.

Neon doesn’t support Ableton Link, so if you want the Neon transport synced to LP, engage ‘Host Sync’. I typically load Neon as an AU within LP, with Host Sync disengaged, so I can edit and audition a buffer in Neon before dragging it to an LP donut. As you say, super convenient for tweaking and mangling samples.

good to know, thanks! I wasn’t certain what finally got it to work in my trial and error session; Ableton was one of the last things I tried before I cracked it, but I guess I must have toggled host sync at some point, unawares.

• @gregsmith said:

@GRiker said:
    @gregsmith The only time you have the option to record ‘combined output’ is if you’re recording a session mix, or recording a performance to the sequencer. To record to a loop, you only need to touch the destination loop.

Thanks. I think my video falls under the ‘session mix’ category?

It appears that in your video, you engaged session recording before the video begins. So, you’re both recording a session performance as well as creating and controlling loops during the recorded session.

I haven’t used that workflow, as I tend to use Session Recording when I’m creating a mix of my project. But it should be a legitimate workflow.

It could very well be that you need to experiment with the Recording Configuration options.

• Echoing something @krassmann said re Ableton, I’m wondering if LP might actually be the answer to my prayers. Please bear with me while I attempt to describe my ideal live set up:
    Imagine Ableton Live with 5 Audio tracks open, each track has 5 clips - samples of varying lengths. So when I hook my Push 2 up, I have a grid of 25 samples. Important to note: all of these samples are different lengths, playing asynchronously.
    So, I want to be able to trigger these samples, and for them to loop until I want them to stop. “What’s the problem Paul?! That’s super easy” I hear you cry. The problem is that when I want a sample to stop, it stops on the next beat of the bar, and doesn’t play until the end. Which totally interrupts any flow/fluidity that I’ve established with the jam. I know about the “follow” idea using clips, but that doesn’t give me the freedom to improvise with them all in a live context.
    Might Loopy Pro be the solution I am looking for? Thanks in advance

• @tathakadipuram said:
    You can literally recreate all the hardware loopers in it in minutes.

In the interest of accuracy: no, you can’t. I own several hardware looping devices, none of which can (yet!) be properly emulated with LP.

• I only now noticed that the "CircleSongs Tutorial" example project contains a nice setup with sounds and spoken tutorial about using loops, which you can follow number by number.
    Great!

• @celtic_elk said:

@tathakadipuram said:

In the interest of accuracy: no, you can’t. I own several hardware looping devices, none of which can (yet!) be properly emulated with LP.

What can't you do, out of interest? (Aside from reverse!)

• @Michael_R_Grant said:

@celtic_elk said:

@tathakadipuram said:

What can't you do, out of interest? (Aside from reverse!)

Reverse, tape-style pitch/speed changes, and feedback control on overdub are the basics. If you want to claim that LP can recreate all of the hardware loopers, then really you’d need to go a lot deeper than that (see: the Echoplex Digital Pro feature set, currently available in the Glou-Glou Loupé and the Poly Beebo), but the lack of those specific features separates LP from a whole host of hardware looping devices (and a number of software loopers, like Enso or Gauss).

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Kashi said:
    Echoing something @krassmann said re Ableton, I’m wondering if LP might actually be the answer to my prayers. Please bear with me while I attempt to describe my ideal live set up:
    Imagine Ableton Live with 5 Audio tracks open, each track has 5 clips - samples of varying lengths. So when I hook my Push 2 up, I have a grid of 25 samples. Important to note: all of these samples are different lengths, playing asynchronously.
    So, I want to be able to trigger these samples, and for them to loop until I want them to stop. “What’s the problem Paul?! That’s super easy” I hear you cry. The problem is that when I want a sample to stop, it stops on the next beat of the bar, and doesn’t play until the end. Which totally interrupts any flow/fluidity that I’ve established with the jam. I know about the “follow” idea using clips, but that doesn’t give me the freedom to improvise with them all in a live context.
    Might Loopy Pro be the solution I am looking for? Thanks in advance

You can set quantisation per individual loop so I think you can achieve what you want. Suggest you download and try before you buy!

• @suitsus said:

@Kashi said:

You can set quantisation per individual loop so I think you can achieve what you want. Suggest you download and try before you buy!

Ok thanks I’ll look into that. Do you mean there might be a “no quantisation “ option which is what I will need. I realise that wanting things to NOT sync up with each other is anathema to most looping/sequencing software/hardware, and will confuse some forum members, but that really is what I want!

• edited December 2021

@Kashi said:

@suitsus said:

@Kashi said:

Ok thanks I’ll look into that. Do you mean there might be a “no quantisation “ option which is what I will need. I realise that wanting things to NOT sync up with each other is anathema to most looping/sequencing software/hardware, and will confuse some forum members, but that really is what I want!

Yes, you can set loops to be free rather than 'Phase Locked'. Also, you should explore the record and play quantisation options to configure how you want to start and stop loops. You can record an FX tail after the loop ends, and an intro before the main body of the loop starts, too!

• hmm, i’m on the 7 day trial, but i don’t think i gonna buy it. This thing is more for the live performer i guess. What i do like is the playback speed to create a collage of sound.
    Anyone noticed that if you change speed of a loop, the slicing grid keeps slicing at original speed.

• @tja said:
    It can work on any document provider including AudioShare and you can preview samples before dragging them over into Loopy Pro!

Really? How? I can't figure out how to drag a sample from AudioShare to Loopy Pro.

• @Michael_R_Grant said:

@Kashi said:

@suitsus said:

@Kashi said:

Yes, you can set loops to be free rather than 'Phase Locked'. Also, you should explore the record and play quantisation options to configure how you want to start and stop loops. You can record an FX tail after the loop ends, and an intro before the main body of the loop starts, too!

Yeah, all these things! It's simply amazing how many options you have to start/stop loops. Download and try for free?

• tjatja
    edited December 2021

@yokotate said:

@tja said:
    It can work on any document provider including AudioShare and you can preview samples before dragging them over into Loopy Pro!

Really? How? I can't figure out how to drag a sample from AudioShare to Loopy Pro.

You should re-read what I wrote.
    AudioShare does not support drag-and-drop.

But Sample Crate does.
    And it supports the document providers from the Files App!

So, this way you can drag-and-drop files from the AudioShare document provider to Loopy Pro, while using Sample Crate.

• edited December 2021

Yes, you can set loops to be free rather than 'Phase Locked'. Also, you should explore the record and play quantisation options to configure how you want to start and stop loops.

From what I have grokked so far, this would be set in the tempo pop-up. Not seeing it though. Any assistance is appreciated.

EDIT: found and turned off Phase Lock in the Clips Settings. Next recorded loop is still locked in to loop 1. I’m sure I’m missing an important concept here…

EDIT2: and of course phase lock is turned off when you create a new project. The journey continues…

• @Michael_R_Grant said:

@Kashi said:

@suitsus said:

@Kashi said:

>

Thanks Michael! This is sounding promising. Think I might actually jizz my pants if this thing does what I’m hoping it can do…..

• @Artvarg said:
    Can someone explain to me how I can send CCs from a midi effect to another AUv3? I‘m trying to send Rozeta LFO to Koala FX, but can’t find anything CC related.

Load the AU as a Midi source (after having add it as an audio source/fx) in the mixer. Then you can choose anything that can receive midi as a midi destination

• @szczyp said:

@espiegel123 said:

@szczyp said:
    Is midi output working in auv3 mode?

Yes but the midi comes back out of the AUM midi port. This will be addressed soon

@mistercharlie said:

@Artvarg said:
    Can someone explain to me how I can send CCs from a midi effect to another AUv3? I‘m trying to send Rozeta LFO to Koala FX, but can’t find anything CC related.

Looking for the same thing, only from the Drambo AU.

I tried to send midi from LP knobs auv3 under Drambo but there is no MIDI out port on auv3 module?

Currently no..that will be addressed soon. Midi sent out of the AU will com back out of AUM’s midi port. So you have to route AUM’s midi port to compensate. This will be addressed soon I think.

• @gusgranite said:
    Is there a way to loop sequentially from the same source donut to donut?

You can use follow actions or the sequencer page

• This must be a very simple thing to do, or some setting I'm missing, but I'm not seeing how right now:

1. I record my first loop in the donut
    2. I try to record a second loop in another donut. This is automatically set to the same length as the first one.
    3. If I swipe down and tap "Re-Record" on the second loop, I can record another loop that's not set to the length of the first one.

How can I record a loop that's not set to the length of the first one without recording and re-recording?

• I'm not able to load Audiokit's AR-909. Anyone having the same issue?

• @amaury said:
    Hello @Michael, I just installed Loopy Pro it it looks amazing! For my use, it may become the main app to then host other instruments and effects apps.

I’m using the iPad with a SP 404 MKII (fairly new so I’m exploring workflows). One thing that I find out is that to record a rythmical sample in the SP and start the recording “in time”, it seems beneficial to have the SP as the master clock.

The reason is that I can start the recording by pressing a pad on the SP, so it starts on time. The opposite isn’t true, if I start an app that sends sync to the SP, the pad (pattern) doesn’t start.

So, long story short, I’d love to be able to use Loopy Pro as a MIDI clock slave, and from what I see it isn’t available. I know it’s hard to talk about future plans but it’s worth a try - would you consider offering MIDI clock slave capabilities?

Cheers and congratulations are in order, stunning release!

PS: I hope it's not a redundant question, I haven't read the whole thread!

For the time-being, use something like Audiobus or midi link sync to convert midi clock to Ableton link.

• edited December 2021

@NoiseFloored said:
    This must be a very simple thing to do, or some setting I'm missing, but I'm not seeing how right now:

2. I try to record a second loop in another donut. This is automatically set to the same length as the first one.
    3. If I swipe down and tap "Re-Record" on the second loop, I can record another loop that's not set to the length of the first one.

How can I record a loop that's not set to the length of the first one without recording and re-recording?

Turn off 'Auto Count Out' in Clip Settings. That'll do it!

• edited December 2021

@NoiseFloored said:
    This must be a very simple thing to do, or some setting I'm missing, but I'm not seeing how right now:

There are several settings that influence this. Auto Count Out automatically stops recording after the master clock length. If you want a new loop whose recording ends automatically, change the master length in the tempo popup panel.

You can turn auto count out off and tap to stop recording. And then loops will be a multiple of the master length.

These can all be turned off..the text descriptions in settings are pretty clear.

• @espiegel123 said:

@amaury said:

For the time-being, use something like Audiobus or midi link sync to convert midi clock to Ableton link.

Thanks, will do.

• @Michael_R_Grant @espiegel123 thank you!

I hadn't grasped the concept of "count out" or "master clock length" (I think I mixed it in my mind with something like MIDI clock/tempo), this helped a lot :)

• I saw some discussion re beta/bug discussions up-thread. It seems like for those that were on the beta, the Slack channel is the best place to discuss issues. Michael is continuing work and it is easier to track things if they get reported there.

• @NoiseFloored said:
    @Michael_R_Grant @espiegel123 thank you!

I hadn't grasped the concept of "count out" or "master clock length" (I think I mixed it in my mind with something like MIDI clock/tempo), this helped a lot :)

A simple explainer on the wiki would be handy, you aren't the first to wonder how it all fits together.