Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MIDI Tape Recorder plugin beta test (sample accurate, MPE, open source)

Hi everyone,

I've been working on an open-source sample accurate MIDI recorder plugin with MPE support because I got frustrated that after all those years I was still unable to record MPE performances reliably. I've got an initial beta test version ready for those that want to jump in early, please know that there's still a few rough edges but it's definitely usable.

You can message me your email address for a TestFlight invite.

Below is the description of the project.
The source code can be found on GitHub: https://github.com/gbevin/MIDITapeRecorder

MIDI Tape Recorder is an Audio Unit v3 plugin with an opinionated approach towards MIDI recording. Every message is captured and played back in a sample-accurate way, like you would record audio.

There is no MIDI note editing, no quantizing, no individual CC tweaking, nothing that you wouldn't do with audio. Instead, playback of very expressive and ultra-dense MIDI streams is perfectly stored and reproduced exactly as it was played. MIDI Tape Recorder excels at capturing and playing back expressive performance with MPE controllers and MPE MIDI plugins.

The controls are purposefully simple and intuitive, making it fun to record and playback your MIDI performance.

Features:

• Four independent tracks for recording MIDI channel voice messages
  • Sample accurate MIDI recording and playback
  • Real-time display of active recorded notes and other received messages
  • MPE support
  • Multi-level undo and redo
  • Overdub recording
  • Punch in and punch out recording for automated regional overdubbing
  • Automated storage and recall of all recordings inside the AUv3 host project
  • MIDI file import and export for the project or each individual track
  • Repeated playback with start and stop locators
  • AUv3 parameters for all controls
  • Snap to beat option for positioning playhead and start/stop locators
  • Detection of MPE configuration message (MCM) reception for each track
  • Envoy of MCM at start of play or when pressing the track's MPE button
  • Host transport and host tempo sync
  • Clear all recordings or clear a single track
  • Activity indicators for MIDI input and output on each track
  • Optional per-track record enable, input monitoring, and mute
  • Four virtual MIDI cable inputs if the AUv3 host supports it
  • Optional routing of first virtual MIDI cable to all tracks

Comments

• Just dropped a DM. Thanks for sharing the source too :heart:

• @GeertBevin dm sent my man so excited bout this one… congratulations too!

• Sent mine too. I really believe this is a substantive upgrade to MIDI on iOS; I hope your generosity in making it open source pays off in adoption by @blueveek, @brambos and others who make my world wonderful.

• Thanks for the many beta test requests in private message, I think I added all of you and replied. If I missed someone, please don't hesitate to let me know.

• Very impressive work, it really doesn’t miss a beat at all

• @Fingolfinzz said:
    Very impressive work, it really doesn’t miss a beat at all

Glad to hear that it's performing well for you! Thanks for testing!

• Is there a MIDI thru?

• @Jocphone said:
    Is there a MIDI thru?

Yes, each track has an input monitoring button you can enable.

• Looks great, looking forward to trying this with Animoog Z :)

• This is fantastic, will be testing it out today.

• Ouah! This is an amazing tool! Works amazingly with animoog. I will try it with swam instruments as soon as I can. Congrats for the superb work GeertBevin!

• @moher said:
    Ouah! This is an amazing tool! Works amazingly with animoog. I will try it with swam instruments as soon as I can. Congrats for the superb work GeertBevin!

Awesome, thanks so much for testing!

• @GeertBevin said:

@moher said:
    Ouah! This is an amazing tool! Works amazingly with animoog. I will try it with swam instruments as soon as I can. Congrats for the superb work GeertBevin!

Awesome, thanks so much for testing!

Very cool app. Having some trouble with import/export (which I have reported) that I am sure will get sorted out.

• @moher said:

I’d be curious to hear your results with SWAM.

• A new beta version is now uploaded on TestFlight with fixes for the top reported issues, thanks to all the beta testers that have already reached out with their findings!

MIDI Tape Recorder v0.9b8:

• Fixed initial message not being recorded when record is auto-started.
    • Fixed problems with negative beat offset sometimes causing slowdowns and incorrect preview drawing.
    • Fixed R, I and M buttons not appearing on some devices.
    • Fixed rare problems with MIDI file import and export.
  • Yesssss, now I’m smooth sailin again. That initial message being missed was bugging the crap out of me. Man this thing is so darn useful.

• @oat_phipps said:
    Yesssss, now I’m smooth sailin again. That initial message being missed was bugging the crap out of me. Man this thing is so darn useful.

Glad to hear! Yeah, it was a stupid typo I made right before the first beta release when improving the record behavior during repeat, glad you noticed it and reported it!

• @GeertBevin said:
    A new beta version is now uploaded on TestFlight with fixes for the top reported issues, thanks to all the beta testers that have already reached out with their findings!

• Fixed problems with negative beat offset sometimes causing slowdowns and incorrect preview drawing.

I was just going to ask about this not working in Loopy Pro….but looks like you updated about a half hour after I installed it. I’ll update this afternoon.

Also I really like that you’ve built this without quantization. I’m sure people are going to want a quantize feature and I think that would be a welcome addition but please keep the option to have no quantize as well. 😃

• @Uprightmusic said:

@GeertBevin said:
    A new beta version is now uploaded on TestFlight with fixes for the top reported issues, thanks to all the beta testers that have already reached out with their findings!

I was just going to ask about this not working in Loopy Pro….but looks like you updated about a half hour after I installed it. I’ll update this afternoon.

Also I really like that you’ve built this without quantization. I’m sure people are going to want a quantize feature and I think that would be a welcome addition but please keep the option to have no quantize as well. 😃

re Loopy Pro: Loopy Pro has issues with a few sequencing AUv3, if you have problems with the new Midi Tape Recorder beta it may be related to that . Michael is working on addressing that.

• @Uprightmusic said:

@GeertBevin said:

Actually, I have no intention to add quantization. That's part of the "opinionated approach".

• I don’t imagine you are taking votes, especially since “tape” is in the name… but my vote goes to NO quantization.

Perfect recording of incoming MIDI and perfect playback. Thats what sets this apart; there are other apps for adjusting, quantizing, and manipulating the recorded MIDI.

• @GeertBevin said:

@Uprightmusic said:

@GeertBevin said:

Actually, I have no intention to add quantization. That's part of the "opinionated approach".

hurray!

• Hi @GeertBevin, thanks for having me on beta. Is there a way to sync the start of recording with host tempo? I was trying it in Loopy, would love it if recording could trigger on the first beat of a Loopy bar.

Apologies if that’s already been asked. So far I’ve been successfully recording MPE midi and passing it on to Animoog Z hosted in Loopy, elegant and valuable app. Thank you.

• @steve99 said:
    Hi @GeertBevin, thanks for having me on beta. Is there a way to sync the start of recording with host tempo? I was trying it in Loopy, would love it if recording could trigger on the first beat of a Loopy bar.

Apologies if that’s already been asked. So far I’ve been successfully recording MPE midi and passing it on to Animoog Z hosted in Loopy, elegant and valuable app. Thank you.

It should just follow the host tempo and transport when that is running, I don't have Loopy but it works in Audiobus 3, AUM and apeMatrix for me.

• @GeertBevin said:

@steve99 said:
    Hi @GeertBevin, thanks for having me on beta. Is there a way to sync the start of recording with host tempo? I was trying it in Loopy, would love it if recording could trigger on the first beat of a Loopy bar.

It should just follow the host tempo and transport when that is running, I don't have Loopy but it works in Audiobus 3, AUM and apeMatrix for me.

Thank you - I think it did for playback, but not for starting recording, that always started whenever I hit record. I’ll have a go in AUM to remove user incompetence from the equation.

• edited December 2021

There's nothing signaling recording to the plug-in from the host as far as I know. The way to do this is the record arm first (press the record button in MTR), and then press play in the host.

• Actually, never mind, seems like I just overlooked that flag :smile:

• @GeertBevin said:
    Actually, never mind, seems like I just overlooked that flag :smile:

And I know you’re clearly busy, but everyone should have Loopy (week free trial) :)

• @steve99 said:

@GeertBevin said:

And I know you’re clearly busy, but everyone should have Loopy (week free trial) :)

I know, but I don't really have many cycles atm.

• @steve99 said:

@GeertBevin said:

I just thought some more about this, I'm not sure it's a good idea to auto record in the plug-in when the host records, that would make it really easy to accidentally record over existing tracks when actually recording in the host itself. So I think I'm just going to keep this as is for now.