Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New update Buchla ID700

Updated Buchla ID700. @Modosc it's just fine. The problem with the keyboard has been solved, and randomization is just a masterpiece. Creating the presets that you need, twisting them to the desired state is quite simple. Thank you so much for the instrument🙌

Comments

• @solncekreeze said:
    Updated Buchla ID700. @Modosc it's just fine. The problem with the keyboard has been solved, and randomization is just a masterpiece. Creating the presets that you need, twisting them to the desired state is quite simple. Thank you so much for the instrument🙌

I’m on the verge of purchasing and it’s great to know the Rando is top notch. Cheers!

• @Poppadocrock said:

@solncekreeze said:

I’m on the verge of purchasing and it’s great to know the Rando is top notch. Cheers!

Thank you. But it seemed to me that randomization in Standalone gives more pleasant results than in AUv3 mode😁Strange feelings🤨😁

• they added a randomizer?! runs to iPad

• /Obligatory appearance

• @oat_phipps said:
    /Obligatory appearance

Lol.

• @solncekreeze said:

@Poppadocrock said:

@solncekreeze said:

Thank you. But it seemed to me that randomization in Standalone gives more pleasant results than in AUv3 mode😁Strange feelings🤨😁

Good to know. I typically like to do sound design in standalone anyways, then use the presets in a session.

I think I’m gonna buy this right now.

Still a top synth of 2021?

• @Poppadocrock said:

@solncekreeze said:

@Poppadocrock said:

@solncekreeze said:

Good to know. I typically like to do sound design in standalone anyways, then use the presets in a session.

It’s a blast! Sounds I’ve never heard before on my iPad.. 👍
    -Panic button is your friend when changing presets
    -read preset descriptions - helpful to zero in on what’s going on in case you want to build similar or tweak an essential component
    -tap on one of the 16 (8 on left, 8 on right) parameter boxes to see what’s going on.. amp envelope (above panic button) is the one I have open the most..
    -RANDOM BUTTON! Need I say more?

Have fun!! 😁

• Cheers @royor I’ve spent a decent amount since right before BF, I’m still eyeing up id700, samplewhiz 2, and a few others. Not sure I can get them all but I think Id700 is unique, and I love a good randomizer, so I think it’s about that time. Been wanting since release but held off because of learning curve, and potentially high cpu on some patches. The random button helps a lot with individual app learning curves, cause I can randomly generate a patch that I like, then see what’s going on under the hood and tweak.

So last thing CPU?

• @Poppadocrock CPU?
    In AUM, sending Riffer at 1/4 note speed to ID700, I see averages of 20-25% on the DSP meter.. obviously depends on the patch.. I just kept going through a few folders of presets..
    iPad 6 - iOS 15.2
    There are multiple randomizers.. there’s the main one that can change everything but there are individual osc, filter, morph, location, index + amp envelope randomizers too.. 🤪

SampleWiz 2 is high on my radar as well.. 🙂

• I bought the id700 synth when it came out. Still no regrets! Especially now that we have rando capabilities.

I also bought the more recent Samplewiz 2. I think if someone threatened to take one of these always from me, I’d have to more closely guard my id700!

• @Edward_Alexander said:
    I bought the id700 synth when it came out. Still no regrets! Especially now that we have rando capabilities.

I also bought the more recent Samplewiz 2. I think if someone threatened to take one of these always from me, I’d have to more closely guard my id700!

Thanks @royor & @Edward_Alexander

Been spending days trying to make this decision. I know they aren’t similar apps and might even get samplewhiz 2, but one step at a time. Cheers!

• @Poppadocrock said:
    Cheers @royor I’ve spent a decent amount since right before BF, I’m still eyeing up id700, samplewhiz 2, and a few others. Not sure I can get them all but I think Id700 is unique, and I love a good randomizer, so I think it’s about that time. Been wanting since release but held off because of learning curve, and potentially high cpu on some patches. The random button helps a lot with individual app learning curves, cause I can randomly generate a patch that I like, then see what’s going on under the hood and tweak.

So last thing CPU?

Leo has done some really excellent demos that are well worth checking out

• Might spend some time tomorrow checking out the updates

• @Poppadocrock said:

@solncekreeze said:

@Poppadocrock said:

@solncekreeze said:

Yes definitely… here’s why:

• I keep stumbling across rich slowly evolving sonic textures without trying too hard or getting my head round FM synthesis (I.e creating by experimenting rather than designing)
    • Easy to create sounds for meditation or seeking inner calm and stillness (don’t we all need a bit of that in these crazy days)
    • Super-long envelopes for creating slowly evolving ambiences, but can also create rhythmic envelopes (though clock sync is tricky due to exponential display)
    • New randomiser can send the creative process with unexpected starting points for tweaking
    • Preset system is really good, allowing for easy maintenance of multiple user folders

The GUI sliders can be a little fiddly, and a “clear envelope” button would be good, as well as numerical parameter entry but overall it’s definitely a top buy of last year for the kind of sounds I make.

• envelopes are the main cpu hog in id700 (by default they run at audio rate). you can lower the sample rate used for envelopes in settings -> advanced -> envelope quality to reclaim some cpu but you'll lose some of the snappiness too.

• also today's update includes a pretty substantial change to the graphics system - id700 should look better everywhere, especially when running as an auv3 (or on an ipad pro or a gigantic desktop screen)

• @modosc said:
    also today's update includes a pretty substantial change to the graphics system - id700 should look better everywhere, especially when running as an auv3 (or on an ipad pro or a gigantic desktop screen)

Happy New Year. Tell me, is it planned to introduce the function of entering values from the keyboard (time, ratio and others)? Hands or a stylus on the iPad are a little uncomfortable (the values slip).

• @craftycurate said:

@Poppadocrock said:

@solncekreeze said:

@Poppadocrock said:

@solncekreeze said:

Yes definitely… here’s why:

• I keep stumbling across rich slowly evolving sonic textures without trying too hard or getting my head round FM synthesis (I.e creating by experimenting rather than designing)
    • Easy to create sounds for meditation or seeking inner calm and stillness (don’t we all need a bit of that in these crazy days)
    • Super-long envelopes for creating slowly evolving ambiences, but can also create rhythmic envelopes (though clock sync is tricky due to exponential display)
    • New randomiser can send the creative process with unexpected starting points for tweaking
    • Preset system is really good, allowing for easy maintenance of multiple user folders

The GUI sliders can be a little fiddly, and a “clear envelope” button would be good, as well as numerical parameter entry but overall it’s definitely a top buy of last year for the kind of sounds I make.

As for entering parameters, it would be super🙂 For more accurate synchronization with the project (so that nothing runs ahead or does not lag behind).

• edited January 2022

YEah i wish there was a manual or something made in, and like lil buchla tips or just the thought process and work flow is over my head. I want to create my own sounds of course. but I feel like there are some FM mental process or odditys aka mad science that may shed more light on the developers method. its is abstract@ and Im just so curious about these synth inventors now. Like its so far ahead in time but cost prohibited them in the 70's and 80s.... Praise the magic synth lords for giving us phones access to tools that is like a Rolls Royce basically haha/

• @oceansinspace said:
    YEah i wish there was a manual or something made in, and like lil buchla tips or just the thought process and work flow is over my head. I want to create my own sounds of course. but I feel like there are some FM mental process or odditys aka mad science that may shed more light on the developers method. its is abstract@ and Im just so curious about these synth inventors now. Like its so far ahead in time but cost prohibited them in the 70's and 80s.... Praise the magic synth lords for giving us phones access to tools that is like a Rolls Royce basically haha/

"Buchla is more about space and not about sound" ©🙂🙌 This tool needs to be learned to feel🤔

• It definitely rewards experimentation. I get really awesome sounding stuff out of it all the time and barely know what the hell I'm doing

• edited January 2022

@Fingolfinzz said:
    It definitely rewards experimentation. I get really awesome sounding stuff out of it all the time and barely know what the hell I'm doing

Lol.

Same here. I bought it and I definitely like it.

• ... as well as numerical parameter entry but overall it’s definitely a top buy of last year for the kind of sounds I make.

As for entering parameters, it would be super🙂 For more accurate synchronization with the project (so that nothing runs ahead or does not lag behind).

initially you could edit the values by tapping on them, but then ios will open a keyboard over the bottom 40% of the screen which can cover the selected input:

https://monosnap.com/file/yIrpCW8WCkHRerdQwsSVUAdPbK5Xdj

if anyone has a nice example of reasonable keyboard handling in ios please let me know!

• On the iPad you can change the keyboard layout so you can see what you’re doing via built-in system gestures:

• Put two fingers in the middle of the standard keyboard and swipe both outwards to split the keyboard into two halves.
    • Rejoin the two halves by putting a finger in each half and swiping them together.
    • Compress the keyboard to a small movable palette by putting two fingers towards the sides of the standard keyboard and swiping both towards the middle. The compressed keyboard can be moved about using its handle. I think this compressed keyboard is the same one you get when using the Pencil, FWIW.

None of this works on a phone, though.

• edited January 2022

@modosc said:

... as well as numerical parameter entry but overall it’s definitely a top buy of last year for the kind of sounds I make.

initially you could edit the values by tapping on them, but then ios will open a keyboard over the bottom 40% of the screen which can cover the selected input:

https://monosnap.com/file/yIrpCW8WCkHRerdQwsSVUAdPbK5Xdj

if anyone has a nice example of reasonable keyboard handling in ios please let me know!

On an iPad, the best option is to shrink the keyboard to a small size and type from it.

Therefore, there may be an option - a long press to open a window for manually editing parameters from the keyboard.

• @modosc Would it be possible to split the UI in half? And put a button up top to switch between the top and bottom halves? It looks like it's already almost possible when in the smaller window.

Several of the Audio Damage plugins have a button up top for switching between the two panels - below is OtherDesertCities with its 'MOD' button.

Could a floating keypad be another option? When tapping a numeric field in Affinity Photo, up pops this keypad.

Or apeSoft and Amazing Noises solution - when double-tapping a knob, up pops this window with the keypad at the buttom. Here it is in Dedalus Delay from Amazing Noises.

FabFilter lets the keyboard cover the selected input when the window is maximized. But here it is in the smaller window.

• @ocelot said:
    @modosc Would it be possible to split the UI in half? And put a button up top to switch between the top and bottom halves? It looks like it's already almost possible when in the smaller window.

Several of the Audio Damage plugins have a button up top for switching between the two panels - below is OtherDesertCities with its 'MOD' button.

Could a floating keypad be another option? When tapping a numeric field in Affinity Photo, up pops this keypad.

Or apeSoft and Amazing Noises solution - when double-tapping a knob, up pops this window with the keypad at the buttom. Here it is in Dedalus Delay from Amazing Noises.

FabFilter lets the keyboard cover the selected input when the window is maximized. But here it is in the smaller window.

👍👍👍

• Actually, the GUI is already split in half. If you reduce the view to just the top pane, the wave/modulation button appears to switch to the lower pane.

• Oh, is that new? Never noticed it before. I always used ID700 maximized. Good eye Dave.

And from the video modosc posted above, it looks do-able, and would make inputting 1.618 easier. 🤓

btw, when using a hardware keyboard, no on-screen keyboard pops up.

• @ocelot said:
    Oh, is that new? Never noticed it before. I always used ID700 maximized. Good eye Dave.

It may have originally worked that way. The default to large view may have been an update to the app or to AUM or AB.