Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New iPad Pro. Fresh Install or Restore from Old iPad?

What do you prefer to do when upgrading your iPad? Do you like to restore from backup or start with a clean slate on new device?

I can’t decide. My brain says do a fresh install… but the amount of apps I own is quite a lot to manually download as needed?
Does restore make my machine “slower” than starting clean?

Comments

• I have done the restore four times now and have never had problems with it. It is a modern miracle to be enjoyed.

• Restore is good for me. Make sure to allow enough time, though. After it restores the backup, which takes a few minutes, it needs to install all the apps. This can take a while, even with fast internet, because of the time to actually perform the installations.

• I've discovered that on iPads a fresh install won't make my iPad any snappier than restoring from backup.
    I use to do a factory reset every year or so - a habit I picked up from my Windows days.
    And also was religious about fresh installs - another Windows habit that's unnecessary on the iPad.

One big difference is the junk and cached files will eat up space on the backup and your new iPad.
    There could be a lot since some apps are sloppy about files that you deleted earlier.
    But at least your presets, samples, docs, everything will be there, except TestFlight apps and a few other things I don't remember right now.

And restoring from a backup will take a long time, but not as long as a fresh install.

• edited December 2021

Edit: duplicate post

• edited December 2021

You can also use "Quick Start" to migrate, simply by placing both devices side by side:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210216

(My wife just used this method to switch to her new phone, and it worked great; no backup or iCloud data transfer required).

• Yeah the new “Quick Start” feature was what I was looking at.
    Think I’m going to Dive in!
    Thanks everybody.

• One thing worth bearing in mind is that restoring is the default that Apple pushes you towards, and therefore the most used, and most tested by hundreds of millions of users.

I always use it, and wouldn’t do it any other way. An hour or two, and you’re off, with no more setup.

• Restore. Saves loads of time

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • One thing you might want to do: delete any unnecessary files before doing the restore.

Last time I restored a device (a phone in my case) I also restored about 13Gb of files in Audioshare's "Trash" folder 😂

• @richardyot said:
    One thing you might want to do: delete any unnecessary files before doing the restore.

Last time I restored a device (a phone in my case) I also restored about 13Gb of files in Audioshare's "Trash" folder 😂

Yeah I should of done that. Lots of photos and files I don’t need. So now I’ll just manually delete off the restore, lol. Oh well.

• Restore is the practical option, but not the one I prefer.

With my iPhone, I always restore to get contacts, texts, etc..

But with an iPad, it’s nice to start with a fresh, clean slate. It makes it feel more special and new. And then I am forced to go through my purchased apps and maybe see ones that I forgot about. And it’s also an opportunity to be more critical and ask myself if I really do need that app. Until recently, I had a ton of apps that I liked the idea of using but never did. So I finally cleaned it up.