Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

RhythmBud: Stuck notes [Resolved]

[Edited]

Am I the only one getting hung Midi notes from Rhythmbud?
I did a search in the forum and didn’t come up with similar comments.

@uncledave
Hi, it was actually you I was referencing in my original post regarding the help with a previous workaround 👍, so thanks for that in case you never saw my gratitude from my other thread.

I edited my original post because I narrowed the problem down to RhythmBud . The problem was not evident to me before because one instrument was a Synth with an open sustain and the other was a Rhodes app, so the hung note was there but not evident due to the envelope.

I eliminated everything out of the equation and set up a simple RB to synth and I am getting hung note. So I guess it’s just simply trying to contact the Dev now.

Comments

• Try running just RhythmBud and a MIDI monitor (MIDIWrench, MIDISpy) in one of your configurations. See if the Note Off messages are on the same channels as the corresponding note. If they're good coming out of RhythmBud, then Helium may not be recording them correctly.

• edited December 2021

Bump for major edit.

A search in the forum doesn’t indicate others are having this problem.

Even with the simplest setup, I continually get a hung note with RhythmBud, regardless of the instrument I’m sending to.

• edited December 2021

@Blipsford_Baubie said:
    Bump for major edit.

A search in the forum doesn’t indicate others are having this problem.

Even with the simplest setup, I continually get a hung note with RhythmBud, regardless of the instrument I’m sending to.

As I suggested, check the output of RhythmBud with a MIDI monitor. Then you can see if there are Note Off messages, and if they're possibly on the wrong channel, wrong note, etc.

I just wonder, since the purpose is rhythm, if it simply skips the Note Off messages. They're probably not significant for percussion instruments that are just transients anyway. Not my field of knowledge...

• same here. not held note. temporary stop-gap. i just use the panic button in the menu

• @eross said:
    same here. not held note. temporary stop-gap. i just use the panic button in the menu

Thanks for confirming.

@uncledave
    I tried, but both MIDI wrench and MIDI spy are unusable on my iPhone. They are universal and will download, but unusable.
    MIDIwrench , as soon as I touch the faux display to select what to monitor, it begins to continually move in a glitchy way and I cannot select anything.

As for MIDI spy, it’s always in a continual state of “waiting” with big letters on the screen whenever I open the app.

• @Blipsford_Baubie said:

@eross said:
    same here. not held note. temporary stop-gap. i just use the panic button in the menu

Thanks for confirming.

@uncledave
    I tried, but both MIDI wrench and MIDI spy are unusable on my iPhone. They are universal and will download, but unusable.
    MIDIwrench , as soon as I touch the faux display to select what to monitor, it begins to continually move in a glitchy way and I cannot select anything.

As for MIDI spy, it’s always in a continual state of “waiting” with big letters on the screen whenever I open the app.

You cannot select what to monitor in MIDIWrench. It just shows the sources it can hear.

The way to use MIDISpy would be in your host as an AUv3 effect. I don't have RhythmBud, but here it is working with StepBud in AUM.

• edited December 2021

Ok, I had downloaded myMIDIspy, a completely different app.
    Midi spy is not universal.
    I can’t get midiwrench to work. It’s not hearing anything. It’s ok we tried.
    Thanks again. I emailed the Dev.
    Arpbud2 works as expected for me. If only it had a strum feature to let some notes come thru un-arpeggiated, then it could replace RhythmBud for me.

• edited December 2021

I believe this is giving me incentive to learn Moziac. I found this particular script from the community on patchstorage via Ruismaker.com

@uncledave , this appears to be a possible solution for my case, wouldn’t you agree? At the same time, if I cannot even do something as simple as monitor midi on my phone, than why bother. But I’ve monitored midi on my iPad in the past.

According to the site, mosaic will run on my phone.

https://patchstorage.com/dedupe/

• Audeonic mfxMonitor is Universal, and free.
    Tested with Phasemaker, mood, Lagrange, didn't notice any hung notes during gaps.
    Could the hanging synth be one that responds to Note On = 0, not Note Offs?

• edited December 2021

@ocelot

Thanks so much for responding.
    Ok, I recreated your routing, albeit with different instruments.

The following is with strum, and in the second pic I only let the two notes trigger once before I released the keys. The third pic I held the notes down, and whenever the notes triggered is when I noticed the off messages populate inside mfx monitor, which were quickly followed by the note-ons.

The following is with an arp.
    The hung notes on arps when using multiple notes are not repeatable. In the second pic it behaved as expected.
    But in the third picture, I’m only holding one note, and one note instances reliably hang.

To summarize,
    Strummed notes always hang whether it’s one or multiple notes, and arpeggios are a hit or miss, except for single notes, they always hang around.

• It looks like there are Note Off messages at exactly the same time as the Note Ons. Presumably the Note Off refers to a prior note, and they are in the correct order, but maybe the pairing confuses the synth apps. This could be something for the RhythmBud dev to fix, but you might be able to kludge it with a little StreamByter.

• I figured it out!

It’s because I haven’t been using RB as it was intended, I suppose. I realized this while dwelling on @uncledave ’s comment regarding note off and on messages at the same time.
    I added the tiniest rest possible, 1/64 to the end of the loop and even that is enough to get it to behave as expected. (That throws it outta sync but can be done right with though) I’m certain the Dev would have pointed that out to me as well as soon as he’d see my screen shot.

As the app stands, implementing a rest with a strum set to a low setting will work for straight-up chords, and it will still allow for the loop to stay on the grid, cause I can implement dotted notes.

But rests won’t work for arps cause maintaining the desired note values requires a rest of equal value. But then I cannot trigger notes at will, if the rest is playing, for example.
    Fortunately, there is ARPbud2 for that as a solution! I can easily implement both with snapshot trickery.

Just in case anyone is wondering why the heck I’m using RB in such a static-small-looped fashion, when it is capable of being more expressive,
    here is why:

-I am using Chordmaps2 on my mini2, so that I never have to leave CM2.
    - Everything else is on my iPhone hosted by AUM.
    - CM2 points to RhythmBud
    - RhythmBud points to Helium
    - Helium MIDI thru is enabled and point to intrument or instruments.
    - I’m using Xequence Pads to recall snapshots on the Helium timeline to record ideas and jump around for building and arrangement while also recalling snapshots inside RhythmBud (with StreamByter to convert midi notes to CCs for RB).

Even tho CM2 has an arp function now, implementing RB snapshots allows me to flesh out ideas and record them inside Helium in a much more fun and quicker way than before, combined with Helium snapshots. Turn quantize off inside Helium if you wanna try.

In the past I would find a chord progression I liked, then record and assign each chord to separate pads in Chordpolypad, and from there try to build something in a more contrived way.

This method requires semi complicated routing, but I’ve been having the most joy I’ve had ever on tablet.