Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS guitar update - THU, Nembrini, audio interface

So things are getting much better with my recent quest for guitar tone via iOS.

Recently, my signal chain looked like this:

guitar > TASCAM DP24SD Portastudio > Apogee Jam > USB Hub > CCK interface > iPad in > AUM > iPad headphones out > TASCAM DP24SD Portastudio > PA Monitors.

This basically worked and sound pretty good with Nembrini and THU, when THU wasn't blowing up! But on high-gain, it was noisy.

Well, lately, the chain has been:

guitar > Apogee Jam > iPad in > AUM > iPad headphones out > TASCAM DP24SD Portastudio > PA Monitors

and it has been GREAT! I know both these chains seem long. But the key thing was to remove the USB hub from the chain. Much, much better. In fact, no need for any noise reduction in the chain.

Comments

• edited December 2021

And for whatever reason, THU hasn't been blowing up on me.

Here's the big reason I'm writing. This just sound great! I am super-impressed with the THU rig tones. Overall, for great feel and tone, the THU Rigs are the way to go. I have the American Classics and the Choptones Fender Super Reverb rig.

• But I hasten to say the Nembrini BST, and Extasy are awesome. Both have superb cleans and very nice high gains. You can't go wrong with them.

• If THU stays stable for me, I would have to say that I favor THU overall for tone and feel. But it really has to stay reliable for me. I can deal with the quirky UI.

Nembrini wins points for excellent, stable, high-quality apps that play very well in the AUM environment.

Anyway, I wanted to drop these happy posts on you fellow guitarist and bassists. I can't encourage you enough if you have iOS and a good iOS interface to check these apps out!

• one bump. only.

• Glad your rig is getting where you want it to be. Quite a few of us use and love TH-U and Nembrini as well as (too) many others, like the new Rhino and Gain Stage Vintage Clean. It’s a compulsion. For sublime amp sim demos and masterful playing, search here for @flo26.

• Thx! Haven’t heard about the Gain Stage Vintage Clean.

Right now I want to get a nice THU Choptones Marshall rig. Maybe the Plexiglass or the RR1959.

• Got the RR1959 rig. Sounds awesome. It’s a good sign when you want to turn it up.

• FYI, wish I had seen this before...

• edited December 2021

Keep in mind I could also offer plenty of THU feedback on stability issues and UX complaints. But the feel is stellar. When I take a high-gain rig and do slides and bends, it esp. has much more of an authentic feel than other amp sims.

• @joegrant413 said:
    Keep in mind I could also offer plenty of THU feedback on stability issues and UX complaints. But the feel is stellar. When I take a high-gain rig and do slides and bends, it esp. has much more of an authentic feel than other amp sims.

Are you still having stability issues? That really is unusual. I am curious to know more about your setup to see if we can help you make it more stable -- I've literally never had a crash with it.

• @espiegel123 said:

Are you still having stability issues?

Thanks for asking. I can avoid them if I...

• Use the standalone and don't hit the Rig Player button at the bottom

• Use AUM and avoid having many channels and don't hit the Rig Player button at the bottom

So I can live with it. Would I gig with it yet? Dunno

I have some very large AUM sessions with many channels. They generally don't crash. But using THU is pressing my luck with it. Honestly, very little has caused crashes for me with other apps.

Well, EXCEPT for the D1 and FM2 apps I just bought!

Thx

• To answer your question, I have an iPad mini 5. Just updated last night to OS 15.1, had been running late OS14+. 512G storage and I have plenty of available space.

• @joegrant413 said:
    To answer your question, I have an iPad mini 5. Just updated last night to OS 15.1, had been running late OS14+. 512G storage and I have plenty of available space.

Do you get crashes with only TH-U loaded? From what you describe, with large AUM sessions with lots of other things loaded, it could be that you are running into the limits of memory being hit when you have TH-U added as its memory footprint is not small.

• It’s blown up in standalone mode if I hit the Rig player UI at the bottom.

• Still eating too much of the candy. Got the LRS Unchained Rig. Shocked how cool the clean tone on the first preset sounded, though I bought it because of the awesome high gain preset that is in the American Classics Rig pack.

• @joegrant413 said:
    It’s blown up in standalone mode if I hit the Rig player UI at the bottom.

Strange. Have you contacted THU about it?

Could you post a screenshot showing spot that crashes it?