Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

QUESTION: On settings, why is AUM - Audio Mixer only triggering my Model:Cycles T1 and not T2-T6?

Hi,

I have been tinkering with my Model:Cycles (M:C) and I’m trying to get it to play with my iPad and AUM - Audio Mixer but I can’t seem to get the routing to trigger anything else than Chan 1 and T1. If I set other M:C In Chan to 1 then they are responding.

I believe I have some setting on either my M:C or on AUM that isn’t playing along. Do you know what I need to change? What setting am I missing?

Software on iPad:
AUM - Audio Mixer
Fugue Machine
Polythemus

Setup and goal: I’m trying to get AUM to trigger more than Chan 1 (T1) on my M:C.
AUM is setup with MIDI 1 where I have Fugue Machine and Polythemus. The other AUM Channel is M:C to M:C.
Fugue Machine all routs to Polythemus and Polythemus 6 voices routs all 6 to M:C (see MIDI ROUTING image)

Thanks.

References:
- Perplex On can make iPad generatively trigger T1-T6 on M:C. See vid.
- https://www.elektronauts.com/t/ios-tensor-kit-pattern-randomizer-for-the-model-line/125870

MIDI ROUTING

Polythemus

Comments

• Isn't the idea with polythemus to split chords into multiple mono voices to control individual synths, one per voice? As you have routed it, you could rather just route Fuge Machine straight to M:C without Polythemus.

And then, what MIDI channel is Fugue Machine configured to send on, and on what channels are your M:C configured to receive on?

• edited December 2021

Yes, you're right. I included it because I wanted to include other Channels in AUM with different instruments... I did as you said and rerouted to have Fugue Machine input straight into M:C.

I'm new to AUM and here I think you touch on an important gap in my knowledge of AUM... How can I decide what MIDI Chan Fugue Machine will send on and my M:C recieve on? I guess it only triggers Chan 1 because it's the standard trigger.

Thanks again.

• edited December 2021

On Model:Cycles, in the CONFIG MENU, is 'T1–6 IN' selected (not AUTO IN), and the appropriate MIDI channel set for each of the 6 tracks? Page 44 of the manual.

If that's already set correctly -

In Fugue Machine, in Settings, be sure that the individual playheads are indeed sending on different MIDI channels, and that MIDI multi-out is enabled. Tap the icon in the upper-right of FM's UI for Settings.

• edited December 2021

Yes I've gone through the manual to set it up right in the M:C, it's not AUTO IN.

AHH mid writing... it was in Fugue Machine! All the playheads were sending to only CH 1. Set it up with different CH and now it's working.

Thank you both!!! You made my evening.

Still.. I'm a bit unsure about how AUM and Chan works. I better read up on that CC, notes etc.

• @synthtac said:
    Yes I've gone through the manual to set it up right in the M:C, it's not AUTO IN.

AHH mid writing... it was in Fugue Machine! All the playheads were sending to only CH 1. Set it up with different CH and now it's working.

Still.. I'm a bit unsure about how AUM and Chan works. I better read up on that CC, notes etc.

AUM itself does nothing with MIDI channels, etc. as they are sent to MIDI ports on external apps or hardware. It lets you filter MIDI going to audio nodes, MIDI nodes, and even external ports, but it doesn't alter the channels, etc. So it's really up to the apps to generate the correct MIDI data.

• @uncledave said:

@synthtac said:

AUM itself does nothing with MIDI channels, etc. as they are sent to MIDI ports on external apps or hardware. It lets you filter MIDI going to audio nodes, MIDI nodes, and even external ports, but it doesn't alter the channels, etc. So it's really up to the apps to generate the correct MIDI data.

Ah gotcha! That makes it more clear, it's all in the apps. I trying in AUM to redirect CCs, Notes and Chan filters etc without any luck.

^This also got me to understand Polythemus as well. It was also in the app.. But not as easy to find the MIDI Channels in Polythemus.

Thanks for the support and explainations I learned some fundamentals.

• @synthtac said:

@uncledave said:

@synthtac said:

Ah gotcha! That makes it more clear, it's all in the apps. I trying in AUM to redirect CCs, Notes and Chan filters etc without any luck.

^This also got me to understand Polythemus as well. It was also in the app.. But not as easy to find the MIDI Channels in Polythemus.

Thanks for the support and explainations I learned some fundamentals.

Yeah. If (and when) you need to, you can use scripts and other special apps to alter MIDI data between apps, or between apps and gear. You may reach a point where you need that, but right now, you can go a long way with your apps.