Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Headphone adapter into usb dongle. Doesn’t work?

I can’t believe this doesn’t work…

Apple official USB adapter and apple official headphone adapter… no sound through headphones, only iPad speakers.
This is stupid!. If this doesn’t work it means you need a usb dongle plus a usb hub plus an audio interface just to plug a pair of headphones and a usb keyboard. That’s overkill!. It’s far,far from mobile. Please tell me I’m wrong.

Comments

• The usb c port on the bottom is for power/charging.

• @tahiche said:
    I can’t believe this doesn’t work…

Apple official USB adapter and apple official headphone adapter… no sound through headphones, only iPad speakers.
    This is stupid!. If this doesn’t work it means you need a usb dongle plus a usb hub plus an audio interface just to plug a pair of headphones and a usb keyboard. That’s overkill!. It’s far,far from mobile. Please tell me I’m wrong.

You are obsessed with hubs etc. Even indoors.

• Hubman. You can all connect to me. Sometimes.

• @sigma79 said:

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw midi controllers 😜

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

@sigma79 said:

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw midi controllers 😜

lol.

Anyway. Hope tahiche sorts it.

• edited December 2021

It’s not plugged in?
    🤣
    Let us know how you fix it... this was my plan b!

• edited December 2021

@id_23 said:
    It’s not plugged in?

Shiiiiiiit. 😂😂
    Happens often when I want a pic of the iPad but I need the iPad to take the pic. Can’t believe there isn’t an app for that.

Now seriously, was expecting that usb-c port of the hub to work just like the iPad port, including audio. If they remove the headphone jack from a device, I expected Apple to not make things even more difficult.

@sigma79 said:

They’re obsessed with me!. Also, I’m pretty sure I’d have the same problem outdoors! But I’ll go outside and check to make sure 😀

So I bought the really expensive Apple Original cos the old hub with headphone jack fried my iPad(s), and here we are… Never noticed this as I usually used a Bluetooth KORG nanokey for the sofa setup.

So if you want to use a usb device, just one (keyboard, storage.. ) and a pair of headphones you NEED 3 gadgets!. 1) apple usb-c hub adapter, 2) usb hub 3) audio interface. That’s more gadgets than devices!. Hardly mobile and sort of stupid imo.

Note: the same Apple advocates that might tell me to get a usb-c hub with a headphone jack are probably the same that told me to get the (ridiculously expensive) Apple Original hub.

• I must admit that when using my iPad I generally don’t bother with any controllers and just use headphones via tiny dongle. I find that by the time I’m plugging in a controller I prefer a laptop as the iPad is just the wrong form factor. I’ve realised that I don’t actually like using my iPad when I’m not actually holding it. But i still feel the pain. There’s always a gotcha.

Apple really should have put a headphone jack into that adaptor.

I also wish that somebody would release a decent midi keyboard with 2In 2 out audio interface built in.

The IK multimedia Irig keys things is close but only mono in. I still use my old xio-synth but would like something smaller and less cheap feeling (and broken) — with a stereo in for use with the iPad on the sofa :-)

• @klownshed said:
    I also wish that somebody would release a decent midi keyboard with 2In 2 out audio interface built in.

They did. They just stopped making them. X-stations.

• I have a Kingston Nucleum hub, and the USB-C port on that works fine with the headphone dongle. The USB-C port on the adapter you have is for power only.

• edited December 2021

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@klownshed said:

They did. They just stopped making them. X-stations.

I know. I have a xio. It’s most of an xstation but with fewer controls and just the 1 in.

The synth is remarkably good still. It has som3 features like the gator the xstation didn’t have.

Novation also stopped making the interface that had a built in usb hub. Another ultra useful d3vice for iPads that they no longer bother with.

Edit:

I also have a Roland JD-Xi and my perfect synth would be a version of it with 2 ins, battery power and class compliant audio interface.

On the Mac its very nearly perfect for my needs. I like having a fully independent keyboard/groovebox thing I can use to come up with ideas away from the Daw but also works perfectly when connected. It’s soooo close to being perfect. A Novation Circtuit with class compliant audio/Midi would also tick all the boxes.

• edited December 2021

This one from Swedish Kjell & Co works very well and its what I use when just noodling on the couch without any peripherals attached. It connects both headphones and a USB- C source charging from a power bank for example.

The USB-C port actually makes my iPad Air 4 easier to connect to IMO after using it for a while, making the need for Apple certified stuff more or less redundant. The only trick is to find the parts and avoid the cheapest solutions.

/DMfan🇸🇪

• edited December 2021

I will never understand why people buy the Apple usb-c dongle. The whole point was that you get to expand with usb-c devices and hubs of your choice. I have a lightweight hub with 2 usb-a ports, hdmi, Ethernet, sd and micro sd card reader, usb-c power thru and a headphone jack....all devices, one hub

• @chocobitz825 said:
    I will never understand why people buy the Apple usb-c dongle. The whole point was that you get to expand with usb-c devices and hubs of your choice. I have a lightweight hub with 2 usb-a ports, hdmi, Ethernet, sd and micro sd card reader, usb-c power thru and a headphone jack....all devices, one hub

Because I notoriously burned 3 iPads, 3, and it all points to a usb hub. Not a cheap one either, a Satechi. So I wanted to take that out of the equation. Believe me it hurt to pay that much for the No-thrills apple adapter. That was before I learned that the usb-c port on it can’t even do headphones, only power, it’s hurting even more.

• One more reason to get a cost efficient standard iPad with headphones jack.

With the new Macbook Pro, they've accounted for many people who want proper connectivity and they've delivered.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the 3.5mm headphones jack will reappear in one of the higer end models in 2022 since there's still no efficient Bluetooth audio standard today with virtually zero latency.

• The odds of that are zero IMO. Lets not forget that just Apple’s AirPod division makes more money than Sony. As in, everything Sony does from movies to cameras to gaming gear, everything.

• @Tarekith said:
    The odds of that are zero IMO. Lets not forget that just Apple’s AirPod division makes more money than Sony. As in, everything Sony does from movies to cameras to gaming gear, everything.

Oh yah, no way they are putting a jack back in. Would be great if they just slid that usbc port up a couple inches though.

• Google put a jack back

• edited December 2021

I guess apple did make a stylus after jerbs saying that was a sign of failure.

• @tahiche said:

@chocobitz825 said:

Because I notoriously burned 3 iPads, 3, and it all points to a usb hub. Not a cheap one either, a Satechi. So I wanted to take that out of the equation. Believe me it hurt to pay that much for the No-thrills apple adapter. That was before I learned that the usb-c port on it can’t even do headphones, only power, it’s hurting even more.

THREE burned ipads?What?

may i ask what exactly happened to them?

• edited December 2021

@Crabman said:

@tahiche said:

@chocobitz825 said:

THREE burned ipads?What?

may i ask what exactly happened to them?

Not for the faint of heart…

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/44120/just-killed-another-ipad-pro-looks-like-usb-hub-power-bankrolled-it-what-do-i-do

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/45151/dead-ipad-pro-again-that-s-3-f-k-this#latest

…and why I am just sticking to the big dumb apple thing.

• IMO those failures had nothing to do with the hub itself but were caused by the direct attachment to the port, without any cable, and possibly aggravated by the metal case. I’ve nothing to back that up though.

• @tahiche said:
    Because I notoriously burned 3 iPads, 3, and it all points to a usb hub.

It's not the hub. It's your straight 🔥 jams.

• @tahiche said:

@chocobitz825 said:

That's disappointing. I have a bunch of different usb-c hubs that I've used but I've never used them with a powerbank so I can't say I've experienced this before. I hope you find a solution there works for you.

• I truly fear when my Pro2 goes to Apple heaven. Maybe by then there will be an easier solution. Sigh. Sorry @tahiche. Bad mojo.

• @wim said:
    IMO those failures had nothing to do with the hub itself but were caused by the direct attachment to the port, without any cable, and possibly aggravated by the metal case. I’ve nothing to back that up though.

I agree, I believe the attachment was somehow fiddly (not obviously or noticeable) and this caused whatever on the iPad. I still blame apple for it, a bad connection of this type shouldn’t burn an iPad. I’m sure it has to do with the same port sharing power and data and some missing fail-safe mechanism.

@LinearLineman said:
    I truly fear when my Pro2 goes to Apple heaven. Maybe by then there will be an easier solution. Sigh. Sorry @tahiche. Bad mojo.

Luckily they were all under warranty. Fried them fast enough so that I got replacements.

@AlmostAnonymous said:
    It's not the hub. It's your straight 🔥 jams.

Are they that bad?, the poor device committed suicide. 😂

• edited December 2021

@tahiche said:

That's "devices". With an S. 🤣
    But from the looks of your pic, it looks like you're powering the devices from the iPad. Crabman's solution above works great. It's my solution too if I only need a couple things connected. Works great. I use a Bluetooth dongle (AptXLL) instead of the headphone adapter and the latency is down to a few milliseconds. (Non apple headphones)

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

@tahiche said:

That's "devices". With an S. 🤣
    But from the looks of your pic, it looks like you're powering the devices from the iPad. Crabman's solution above works great. It's my solution too if I only need a couple things connected. Works great. I use a Bluetooth dongle (AptXLL) instead of the headphone adapter and the latency is down to a few milliseconds. (Non apple headphones)

For headphones I use this adapter that was recommended by @krassmann. Really happy with it.

But if you want to add a usb device to the equation… that’s where things turn ridiculously complicated. With the device above I get power + headphones. That’s great.
    Now I want to add a usb keyboard, or a usb storage… we go from 1 dongle/gadget to 3!. Usb-c dongle, usb hub + audio interface. That’s overkill!. It’s ridiculous.

• edited December 2021

One of my other hubs. No issues:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083FC34BN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also have this with built in USB storage:
    https://shop.acasis.com/products/acasis-portable-10-in-1-hub-with-ssd-enclousre-kickstarter-hot-campaign

It gets warm, and the audio port could be better. Not terrible, but not great. Build in SSD is nice.