Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Can we get Koala to automatically play one sample after the next?

Hi,

Love Koala Sampler. The best way I know to get some musical or sound ideas down is through their Sample screen.

The Sequence side seems to require me to press my samples manually, which makes sense in many contexts. But that's not what I want all the time.

It would be great if the Sequence function had a way to play and record all my samples, one after another, automatically. And in the order they appear from left to right, then top to bottom for each row.

Can that be done?

Thanks!
Joe

Comments

• BTW, I know I can concatenate all samples together, on the Sample view, by carefully dragging one on top of the other in a methodical way. But that's tedious and error-prone.

• wimwim
    edited December 2021

You could just trigger them externally from something like Atom2? You'd only have to set the pattern up once, then you could reuse it whenever you want if you save it as a preset.

• wimwim
    edited December 2021

You could also just resample a performance where you hit each pad once. The result would be in a new pad already concatenated for you. This is quick and easy and doesn't require you to have the pads in any set order ahead of time.

• Nice! I haven't used resampling for anything useful yet, and this could be the opportunity.

• You could probably Use the sample crate app then export sample chain to one pad in koala. It’s a workaround but should do the trick.

• BTW, I have but haven't used Atom 2 Piano Roll. If I understand you correctly, it could be used to trigger all Koala pads. And then repurposed for other Koala songs.

The other thing to mention is I'd assume all the Koala samples should be set up as One Shots.

Thanks!

• Yes, you could set up a pattern in Atom2 that has the note triggers you need arranged with the right timing. The part I don't know about is whether your samples are all the same length, and if not then how you would go about knowing where to trigger each note to avoid overlap.

But, then again, there's really no need to even use Atom2 now that I think about it. You could do the same by just punching in triggers using Koala's own sequencer.

As for one-shots? They wouldn't have to be. You could make your trigger notes as long as you want the sample to sound for.

I'm groping in the dark here because your use case isn't super clear to me. I'm just tossing out possibilities for you to investigate.

• Thanks.

Using the Sequence in Koala has never been a smooth experience for me.

I want something easy to get the samples down on one wav file for editing someplace else later.

You folks on this threat have already given me a couple of good ideas for that.

• edited December 2021

do you know that if you drag a sample from a pad onto one that already has a sample you get a choice window and you can choose “add to sample end” it takes about 20 seconds to string one page of samples together and export that.

oops! yes you did know.. not sure that its that ‘tedious’ though,, given what you would have to do in the 90’s :)

• Yep. I've concluded the drag-it-and-add-to-the-end technique is the quickest way to string together those samples.

FWIW, again, I know the Sequence view is intended to handle this all as a trivial use case. I looked at again last night. It's still not a welcome partner for me. Maybe someday.