Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Anything else like Gauss Field Looper

I really like the look of Gauss, except for the severe loop time restriction.

So, is there any “tape looper” that’s similar, but doesn’t have that extreme limitation?

Comments

• May i suggest…

• edited December 2021

Enso has 5 min of looping time with "long memory" option on iirc. "Dub in place" option off also helps to mimic tape behaviour as loop re-records through effects section every time and degrades (true feedback loop).
    Cons is that it needs host clock running to operate, and not super stable at times.

• edited December 2021

@Agatha_aga said:
    And not super stable at times.

Definitely the case….previously. Haven’t bothered with it for a long while, so I’m not sure if it’s an OS update or my new 1TB M1 iPad Pro (ok, it’s gotta be the latter), but I’ve had 8 instances of Enso spinning away for last ten minutes or so without incident. Lucy has tee’d up the football and I’m going for it. Yet again. Will update as necessary.

Great development.

EDIT: Nope. Consistent crash when attempting to assign midi. What a piece of sh*t.

• 45 seconds is "severe"?

• Beside that: keep an eye on loopy pro. This could be a changer of games.

Loopering wise you have also the L7 looper which is useable as Au also.
    RE-1 by Kai Aras also a cool and long looping feature.
    ENSO as said.
    Group the loop (may also be able to loop longer stuff)
    Quantiloop pro

If you are talking and loving the lofi feeling of gauss you can also hook up some lofi love plugs behind such as ChowTape, Tape Pro by Caelum, Fly Tape, ToneBoosters ReelBus and more.

• @david_2017: "Lofi Love Plugs" is the name of my next band. :D

• @celtic_elk said:
    @david_2017: "Lofi Love Plugs" is the name of my next band. :D

As soon as I hit enter I was having second thoughts 🤣😅😂

• Thanks y’all, and yes, great band name! :D

• edited December 2021

@david_2017 said:
    Beside that: keep an eye on loopy pro. This could be a changer of games.

Loopering wise you have also the L7 looper which is useable as Au also.
    RE-1 by Kai Aras also a cool and long looping feature.
    ENSO as said.
    Group the loop (may also be able to loop longer stuff)
    Quantiloop pro

If you are talking and loving the lofi feeling of gauss you can also hook up some lofi love plugs behind such as ChowTape, Tape Pro by Caelum, Fly Tape, ToneBoosters ReelBus and more.

I love RE-1 and use it all the time , but I’ve never quite understood the loop feature!.
    L7 is a bug machine, useless.
    Enso is good when it works, it crashes and does weird stuff when you use multiple instances.
    As for Gauss, it’s cool for experimenting, improvising and droning stuff. It deliberately omits sync, which makes sense conceptually, (you can sort of do it via midi trigger with LK or such) but makes it hard to use in a more traditional (as in sync stuff) scenario.
    Loopy Pro is going to be a beast, but it does so much we’ll need to define where and how to use it.

• koala sampler!

• edited December 2021

Quantiloop Pro gets the closest to the RC505 loopstation workflow, which I believe is the greatest looping workflow that is humanely possible. If I didn't have to mess around with audiobus to get it to work in AUM it would be a daily driver for me.

That being said I guess I'm spoiled as fuck because all the looping apps feel kinda like dog shit compared to the RC505. They are stiff, unresponsive, fidgety, and the BPM is almost always only determined before the loop is made instead of having the option of doing it after the loop is made based on the first loop recorded (which is a feature not enough people are begging for, it's the ultimate feature for a responsive reactive jammy looper, and it's why Marc Rebillet can do what he does in a crowd on the fly)

Koala sampler is super cool but I look at that more as a digital teenage engineering pocket operator than a looper

EDIT: also maybe someone can correct me on those points because I haven't really touched my ios loopers for over a year. Maybe they've matured?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Old thread I know… but does anyone know of anything on desktop that is like gauss? Ta

• @celtic_elk said:
    45 seconds is "severe"?

Yeah, that's a really long loop... Maybe if they just pre-recorded a track and then added effects later?

• Well, when even a standard issue low end guitar pedal can loop up to some number of freaking hours? Yes, honestly, “severe” is still my take on that.

Clearly, YMMV and so on.

• edited June 2022

@emjay said:
    Well, when even a standard issue low end guitar pedal can loop up to some number of freaking hours? Yes, honestly, “severe” is still my take on that.

Clearly, YMMV and so on.

Which specific standard issue low end pedal loops for hours?

If that's true, use the standard issue low end pedal.

• @emjay said:
    Well, when even a standard issue low end guitar pedal can loop up to some number of freaking hours? Yes, honestly, “severe” is still my take on that.

Clearly, YMMV and so on.

Yeah, they can, but that’s always struck me as a marketing gimmick. How many users are making single loops that are even 30 sec long?

• edited June 2022

/ shrug / Whatever works for y’all. I’ve found longer loops to be useful. Obviously, some wouldn’t. If, for example, Gauss suits your needs, that’s great. It simply wouldn’t, mine.

• @emjay said:
    / shrug / Whatever works for y’all. I’ve found longer loops to be useful. Obviously, some wouldn’t. If, for example, Gauss suits your needs, that’s great. It simply wouldn’t, mine.

For me, Gauss is amazing. If I find myself needing longer than 45 seconds, I simply record at a lower speed, which in turn affects the quality of the recording like how real tape behaves. Then again, it suits my purposes well. Definitely ymmv. Cheers and best of luck.